Experiences What made you last longest running RP so good?

a r i e s

sadboy
For me it was revisiting an old plot with the same person. I feel really lucky to have been able to do that, even if in retrospect we never quite recaptured that same magic. I don't think anything will ever beat RPing as a 11 year old.

I don't understand the question. Not to be a snob or offend or anything, but the grammar up there makes it impossible to understand...

Idea Idea I believe they’re asking what is the longest roleplay you’ve been in. And what made it enjoyable/last so long.

Or possibly have you ever revisited an old long running roleplay

Idea Idea I believe they’re asking what is the longest roleplay you’ve been in. And what made it enjoyable/last so long.

Or possibly have you ever revisited an old long running roleplay
Or what was the last good long roleplay you've been on. Or what made your roleplay last long. Or what was the best part of it. Or a number of other potential meanings.

I understand the question just fine.

My last longest running RP was successful because of the person, I feel. The connection we had as RPers, and the good communication between us! We threw twists and turns into the RP to keep things fresh, and always collaborated with each other.

It was wonderful.

Or what was the last good long roleplay you've been on. Or what made your roleplay last long. Or what was the best part of it. Or a number of other potential meanings.

I would say just answer the simplest version of the question. What is the longest roleplay you've been in and why did it last so long.
----------------------------------------------------------------

Question A. My Longest Group
The longest group I was ever in lasted four about four years. I was only in it for a few months though as I do not have the kind of time table needed to last very long in groups. I think the thing that contributed to it's longevity is the core group of roleplayers. They were always talking to one another off screen, they would keep the story progressing when the GM was busy, and they were very helpful to new members who wanted to join.

Which is why OOC activity is key to any group lasting a long time. It means that everyone is getting along ( or problems can be solved easily ). It also means everyone is invested in keeping the story going because typically they enjoy hanging out with one another.

Question A. My Longest 1x1
This is not so much a roleplay as again I don't have the time to really take part in a long running roleplay. Most of the ones that last for a long time aren't very active at all. I might write four times in a month on average in my longest 1x1s. But the I do have a few friends that I made that I kept in contact with for years before work/life got in the way. Related to the above these were people who I enjoyed talking to off line and got to know as friends outside of roleplaying.

Unfortunately I'm middle aged and most of my old partners are as well. So a lot of them have fallen off as they've focused on work or finishing up their college years.

Question B. Have You Ever Gone Back To An Old Roleplay

Well I did try to rejoin the group but I had changed my username and the person in charge of taking on new members was pretty rude. Which is a shame because we had been very good friends before I had to leave the rp. So needless to say that turned me off. I mean if that was how they were treating "new" members than I wanted no part of the roleplay.

----------------------------------

I tend to recycle plot points a lot but I rarely go back to roleplays entirely. Because typically speaking the roleplay ended for a reason. We either were bored with the plot line, we disagreed on some key point, or we got busy and we're no longer interested in that storyline.

I would say just answer the simplest version of the question. What is the longest roleplay you've been in and why did it last so long.
Well then...

Taking into assumption that what apolla apolla was talking about as the actual question here, my most successful RP was successful (though it only lasted a few months then fell apart, so you tell me whether that is actually successful) on three factors:

1. Timing- This was a fandom RP based on my hero academia. It was deliberatly timed to have the interest check and the OOC put up at two hype moments in the anime, allowing me to ride the hype wave for quick innitial profit. It was a bit of a dirty tactic, and in hindesight it was a terrible decision because that meant I netted too many people for what it was innitially intended to be, but people who weren't necessarily as committed, so the second things got hard I lost a lot of people. The usual in that aspect though.

2.Good people bucket- When I made the RP I was EXTREMELY lucky to get a whole bunch of loyal, friendly people who were actually willing to read the rules and collaborate. In fact, one of the big reasons the RP began to fall apart was when this one asshole who went out of his way to advise people to break the rules (or at least track loopholes) and pick a fight every time I made any kind of decision, started his first few fights and undermining me whenever I had to sleep. Which is not to say it was entirely his fault, but it really goes to show how a group of cooperating really motivated people can go and how much a break in that can shatter an RP's unity.

3. Good Structure and Commitment- This is one of those things my RPs generally offer that are really my selling point. And they usually are so overplayed that people don't really bother adhering to them. Even in this RP, despite it's success, my rules, way of reviewing characters and systems were a tad overwhelming for a lot of people, and with good reason. Nonetheless, this was one of those few once in a full moon-type events where the hard work and thought I put into structuring those things was actually something that according to testimony was a great hook for people and even helped many stay on board and want to help out. If nothing else, it showed that I wasn't half-assing what I was doing there, and some people seemed to really respect that.

Ironically enough, this RP (Peace Sign Academia) wasn't even originally meant to last that long. I made expecting it to die quickly at first, it was more of a filler of sorts before I got to introduce that VRMMORPG RP I still haven't gotten around to completing despite having been working on it for a few years now....

apolla apolla Thank you for understanding me haha
That sounds fantastic! It's what I've looked for in a partner. Do you two still keep in touch?

Of course! Sadly no, I mean life happens. But the RP spanned for about 2 or 3 years, and if she were to ever respond we could easily pick up where we left off.

Of course! Sadly no, I mean life happens. But the RP spanned for about 2 or 3 years, and if she were to ever respond we could easily pick up where we left off.

Right, right. That's understandable. Everyone should have that experience at least once, though. I hope you find similar success in future RPs!

My longest group rp lasted so long because of the people. In fact all people there were irl friends and we discussed rp events even when meeting irl. So even if some stuff didn't work out in rp we could always change it and continue together.

Longest 1x1 rp was also mostly because to the person I played with. Not only we managed to create a setting that was interesting for both of us, but we also had a lot of other stuff to talk about. And we felt each other's characters very well so that we could always continue the plot in the most benefitial way for both. I miss playing with that person greatly but they stopped rp a while ago and our interests diverged in general.
I hope I can find someone like that again. My current rp partners have potential. :33:

My longest was on a now defunct board for the tabletop/live action roleplay Vampire: the Masquerade. It's incredibly well-written and has enough rules to prevent people from playing stupid bullshit and being a Mary Sue, and there was a staff that thoroughly reviewed character bios to make sure everything "fit". We ended up having a core Skype group and talked to each other a lot about the roleplays, plans, and other random things. I was on that board for about five or six years.

In short, it was based on a quality product and run by quality people with a commitment to standards, and it was fun.

As for one on one, I generally don't do them, but I had one fun one where it was me and someone up escaping some vampires (unrelated to VtM.) The action was fun and and the tension allows you to plausably ignore the intial character intros.

I've gotta say the people you're writing with, the story and characters. I was in a couple of RPs that lasted years. They were very loosely organized too. Everyone followed the general rules of the prefabricated universe we played in and created their own original plots with original characters. It was l really fantastic, to be honest. It's kinda what I'm chasing here. :/

what's kind of sad is that i havent had a long-lasting roleplay for maybe 3 or 4 years?? and even then, what made that roleplay last so long was that i thought what i was writing was good at the time. looking back now, i can obviously see that everything i wrote was a complete mess, including every single horrific one-liner. but because i simply wasnt intelligent at the time, both me and my partner were completely enthralled with such sloppy writing and lack of plotline.

I simply had more free time to write 4 years ago, as a high school freshman, than as a college student now. So did my RP partners.

My longest RP went on for about 3 years, with the same person. It ended due to a conflict we have and she decided that I was a child for enjoying RPing when it was really an escape from a lot of drama in my life. Anyway, what made it go on the most is because my partner and I were best friends outside of the RP, we collaborated better than anyone I have ever met, we meshed creatively because we always talked a lot out. Communication is the key word here. The details were juicy but we didn't have to write a book to make it happen, we also revisited a lot of old plots that brought back nostalgia and memories that were very dear to the time we came up with the plot, to when we were younger.

Communication. The best rps I've been in lasted so long because I had a clear line of communication with my partners. I tend to write slowly, so for me, it's critical I keep that up; it's what keeps the rp alive between replies.

A lot of of thought had been put into the setting and we were encouraged to put more in. There was naturally a lot of ooc communication beyond just rp plots, and we moved to different mediums and different rps together.

I've never had a really long RP or anything, not more than a few months at least, but what made my favorite ones good (despite the horrendous grammar) was based on two major factors for me.
1) Original ideas and twists
2) Communication/plotting

Users who are viewing this thread

Back