Other What is the best app/programme for writing?

yak

Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Hi everyone (:

I am in between writing apps at the moment and am looking at some new ones. I was wondering, what is everyone's favourite? Free options? I used to use microsoft word but my subscription ran out, and I've used Scrivener in the past but it's quite expensive (although I'm wondering if it might just be best to pay it and be done with it).

For free options, online editors are good. Unless you specifically need to write offline, you can use Google Docs or MS Word online (it's free with some limited options).

Scrivener is good. I've been using it for the past 8 years or so.

There is also yWriter, which is similar to Scrivener and free.

Nimble Writer. Not free but available on Steam and cheap. Allows layout customization and color themes, otherwise similar to MS Word.

Personally, I just stick to Google Docs most of the time because it's online and can edit same document from PC and mobile.

For free options, online editors are good. Unless you specifically need to write offline, you can use Google Docs or MS Word online (it's free with some limited options).

Scrivener is good. I've been using it for the past 8 years or so.

There is also yWriter, which is similar to Scrivener and free.

Nimble Writer. Not free but available on Steam and cheap. Allows layout customization and color themes, otherwise similar to MS Word.

Personally, I just stick to Google Docs most of the time because it's online and can edit same document from PC and mobile.

Thank you so much for the feedback! I do feel like having the flexibility online might be the thing that wins overall, so maybe this hunt for something new will come to a short, sharp end, but I do like to flirt about the place and try new things. I will certainly have a look at yWriter and Nimble - thank you!

Google docs is my go-to and Microsoft word for storing things offline. But if you really want a free, open source office suite, LibreOffice is highly recommended.

How about pen and paper

I usually use google docs for any extra writing, or office word if it’s work-related.

Google docs is my go-to and Microsoft word for storing things offline. But if you really want a free, open source office suite, LibreOffice is highly recommended.

Thank you! I've been meaning to try out Libre actually, so thank you for reminding me! I've been using Google Docs of late and I'm liking the flexibility of it.

How about pen and paper

I usually use google docs for any extra writing, or office word if it’s work-related.

You know, pen and paper was a joke but I'd love to be that person :closedeyescryingfrown:
I don't know how some people do it. I'll write on paper if it's the only thing I have, but it just doesn't flow as nicely. The utmost respect for people who can actually do that for extended periods of time!

Thank you so much! Google Docs is where I've landed and I'm quite happy about it as I can be organised.

Thank you! I've been meaning to try out Libre actually, so thank you for reminding me! I've been using Google Docs of late and I'm liking the flexibility of it.

You know, pen and paper was a joke but I'd love to be that person :closedeyescryingfrown:
I don't know how some people do it. I'll write on paper if it's the only thing I have, but it just doesn't flow as nicely. The utmost respect for people who can actually do that for extended periods of time!

Thank you so much! Google Docs is where I've landed and I'm quite happy about it as I can be organised.

To be honest while I used to write the whole text in pen and paper, since I'm mostly submitting stuff online nowadays I mostly use pen and paper to jot down my notes and plans.

To be honest while I used to write the whole text in pen and paper, since I'm mostly submitting stuff online nowadays I mostly use pen and paper to jot down my notes and plans.

I'd love to see those notebooks! I bet they're a real nostalgia for you to read. I certainly will never get rid of pen and paper 100%.

I'd love to see those notebooks! I bet they're a real nostalgia for you to read. I certainly will never get rid of pen and paper 100%.

They really can be. Because my brain is just kind of constantly spitting out random ideas I gained the habit of jotting down some, and occasionally I find an old notebook with just notes, lists, scribbles etc...

Google docs because it saved heart ache and pain and the auto save feature is good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back