Other What is something that has been said to you that you will never forget?

Trickster Crayon

You've Been Tricked
What is something that someone has said to you that you will never forget?

Mine is “You will never be enough for anyone, no matter how hard you try.” Harsh words I know, sorry about that!

honestly idk, i remember a few things.

when someone called me a fat lard on omegle, which i know sounds awful but i still laugh about it to this day!

or when my mom called me a "c***" lol

Dang, that’s horrible. I’m sorry someone said that you. It’s not true.

I have a few, but I think being called “useless” always stuck with me.

Once upon a time, I was a high school dropout with an addiction problem, but I managed to pick myself up again. I went back to school and graduated on honor roll though a year later than what was expected. I was accepted into eight universities and ultimately made the decision to attend a state school with my major being Chemistry. My parents, who I hadn't seen for nearly two years (I left home at seventeen as a deadbeat and came back at nineteen in a slightly better state), they responded with, "You? Chemistry? I would expect that from your sister, but not you."

Suddenly remembered when I left then.

Once upon a time, I was a high school dropout with an addiction problem, but I managed to pick myself up again. I went back to school and graduated on honor roll though a year later than what was expected. I was accepted into eight universities and ultimately made the decision to attend a state school with my major being Chemistry. My parents, who I hadn't seen for nearly two years (I left home at seventeen as a deadbeat and came back at nineteen in a slightly better state), they responded with, "You? Chemistry? I would expect that from your sister, but not you."

Suddenly remembered when I left then.
That is so harsh.. but I hope you showed your parents up and are something great!

That is so harsh.. but I hope you showed your parents up and are something great!
Nope. I probably never will, but as long as I don't end up like them, it won't bother me too much. I'm not really sure why it bothered me so much if I'm honest. I always knew that they were scumbags, but something about those words were all that I needed to hear to officially lose hope in having any sort of relationship with them. Life goes on though.

Nope. I probably never will, but as long as I don't end up like them, it won't bother me too much. I'm not really sure why it bothered me so much if I'm honest. I always knew that they were scumbags, but something about those words were all that I needed to hear to officially lose hope in having any sort of relationship with them. Life goes on though.
Parents have a good habit of teaching how to NOT parent and treat other people.

Let's see, mine were from my mom mostly.

My favorite is when it came to my little cousin. My cousin's mom didn't want her (whole story there) but my cousin clung to me, she was like under 3. I was like going on 13/14 and so I complained about it. My mom looked at me and said, "Well, her mom isn't being a mom. You need to be a mom to her."

Like...excuse me?! So yeah.

Let's see, mine were from my mom mostly.

My favorite is when it came to my little cousin. My cousin's mom didn't want her (whole story there) but my cousin clung to me, she was like under 3. I was like going on 13/14 and so I complained about it. My mom looked at me and said, "Well, her mom isn't being a mom. You need to be a mom to her."

Like...excuse me?! So yeah.
Bittersweet

When you get older, you are going to be fat.
Just a passing comment from a friend of a friend back in high school. Not sure if it was meant to be a joke or something, I don't remember anything else about the conversation at all. But for some reason this never left me...
Pretty silly I know.

When you get older, you are going to be fat.
Just a passing comment from a friend of a friend back in high school. Not sure if it was meant to be a joke or something, I don't remember anything else about the conversation at all. But for some reason this never left me...
Pretty silly I know.
Wtf is that supposed to mean, I would’ve been pretty mad about it if someone said that to me. I’m sorry someone said that..

Wtf is that supposed to mean, I would’ve been pretty mad about it if someone said that to me. I’m sorry someone said that..
I was on medication in high school and one of the side effects was loss of appetite. It was a long lasting drug that really screwed with me, so I was never able to eat lunch and I rarely ate breakfast. I was really thin, and nothing I did or tried helped at all. I was probably annoyed and complaining, but no one in high school ever accepts not gaining weight as a real problem, at least not back then they didn't. All I can remember is this boy's face, and his voice, because of how seriously he said it. I think the only reason I didn't get mad at him was because I was already used to people just rolling their eyes and brushing me off when I talked about my weight and my figure.

"damn, you have a girlfriend? and here i was, thinking a sewer rat had a better chance of being in a relationship than you."

its memorable because it's a roast towards me that i actually found funny

I was on medication in high school and one of the side effects was loss of appetite. It was a long lasting drug that really screwed with me, so I was never able to eat lunch and I rarely ate breakfast. I was really thin, and nothing I did or tried helped at all. I was probably annoyed and complaining, but no one in high school ever accepts not gaining weight as a real problem, at least not back then they didn't. All I can remember is this boy's face, and his voice, because of how seriously he said it. I think the only reason I didn't get mad at him was because I was already used to people just rolling their eyes and brushing me off when I talked about my weight and my figure.
I never took medication like that but I always struggled with weight gain too. I tried really hard but it took you know.. the normal female pill.. to get me to gain weight. I wish people considered both sides of the story, weight gain is such a hard thing to struggle with and weight loss is just as harsh.

I never took medication like that but I always struggled with weight gain too. I tried really hard but it took you know.. the normal female pill.. to get me to gain weight. I wish people considered both sides of the story, weight gain is such a hard thing to struggle with and weight loss is just as harsh.
As someone who’s dealt with weight gaining issues for as long as I’ve been alive, I fully understand how that side of weight struggles doesn’t get enough attention.

But as for the OP question; There’s probably a few but one off the top of my head dates back to my early childhood years, probably 5 or 6, parents were divorced when I was around 4 and that meant going up for visits to see my dad (not a joyful experience nor one I looked forward to) But long story short I was taken aside by the arm into the bathroom cause he and his second wife had company over and remained held tight around the arm and threatened to have my nose broken if I didn’t stop. (I don’t recall exactly what it was I did) but that sticks with me even twenty plus years later. Oddly enough a few years later on a different visit he got mad when I admitted as a small child of fearing him. (Somehow he couldn’t see or understand it as he threw his cell against the wall)

Trying to think of more positive ones... but that one stands out the most.

As someone who’s dealt with weight gaining issues for as long as I’ve been alive, I fully understand how that side of weight struggles doesn’t get enough attention.

But as for the OP question; There’s probably a few but one off the top of my head dates back to my early childhood years, probably 5 or 6, parents were divorced when I was around 4 and that meant going up for visits to see my dad (not a joyful experience nor one I looked forward to) But long story short I was taken aside by the arm into the bathroom cause he and his second wife had company over and remained held tight around the arm and threatened to have my nose broken if I didn’t stop. (I don’t recall exactly what it was I did) but that sticks with me even twenty plus years later. Oddly enough a few years later on a different visit he got mad when I admitted as a small child of fearing him. (Somehow he couldn’t see or understand it as he threw his cell against the wall)

Trying to think of more positive ones... but that one stands out the most.
Step parents are literally sometimes the worst it seems. I know a lot of stories where people love their step parent to the point where it is literally like their parent but I also know a lot of people who struggle with step parents. It’s really sad 😞

Step parents are literally sometimes the worst it seems. I know a lot of stories where people love their step parent to the point where it is literally like their parent but I also know a lot of people who struggle with step parents. It’s really sad 😞
Yeah some step parents can be great. But others are the exact opposite especially if addiction issues are involved. Really sad tales

Only small fries for me, but my brain does return to them occasionally.

I was probably in my worst place with depression and was in the process of finding meds that worked, and my friend who was an older brother type to me at the time said he was tired of this and he didn't know why I was still struggling cause he had had depression and 'just got over it', and he said he thought I wasn't trying hard enough to get better and that I was doing it for attention. I tried so hard to convince him I wasn't but he just stared at me and said "I don't believe you." Honestly not a particularly cutting statement, but it hurt a lot because being honest is very important to me and I'm not a liar. Also it's tough when you're new to being clinically depressed and you want people to hear you and believe you so you can get help. I am kind of an unintentional attention seeker and clingy af, so I understand why he was super done with me. He just didn't understand that you don't 'get over it' and you don't 'try to get better'.

The other one was simply my mom getting mad at me and asking me 'what the hell is wrong with you?'. My mom's actually super great and an incredible mom but sometimes people get.mad and just say stuff.

Those are the particular two that my mind travels back to when it feels smol and insecure~

My mom used to tell me, "Stop being so useless" when I would ask how to do anything. Now it's probably one of my biggest fears, being disposable because I have no use.

There are two phrases that really stuck with me in my life, at least they are the first ones that come to mind:

The first was when I was about on 7th grade, I think. I went to a Catholic school from 5th-12th grade, and at the time, I was going through a bit of a crisis of faith. I don't recall all the circumstances that led to my doubts, maybe it was just spontaneous, maybe it was a feeling some things didn't quite add up, maybe it had to do with a rapidly changing environment...but in the end of the day, I was really struggling to maintain my faith and I felt terrible for it. I went to confess this to a priest, and what they told me really shook my worldview and attitude henceforth:

"It is not a sin to doubt, it is a sin not to seek the answers."

You don't always have to get to the same conclusion, but you ought to make an honest effort to pursue the truth. If you have a question, seek the answer, if you don't know whether what you used to believe holds water, do everything you can to examine your beliefs. And once you do have your answer- whichever one you reach- then you ought to live by it. Even faith is not made of blindness, for it too seeks to speak of the truth.

The other instance was a bit more mundane. I was on the sidewalk with my mother as we were heading to the Mcdonald's across the street. I looked at the road, and there was a car coming, but the streetlight was now red for cars. I attempted to cross the street, but my mother stopped me, and when I protested that the streetlight was red and therefore the car had to stop, she told me:

"It doesn't matter what they should do or who's right or wrong, you're still the one who get plastered on the street."

Sometimes people just don't - or can't- follow the rules as intended. When one decides their path in life, or any decision really, one must try to think beyond the way things 'should' be, and consider the possibility that they won't be so neat. Cause the 20 seconds you have to wait to see the car slowing down are not worth your life.

it is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society

To quote in verbatim: "...It's because she wants to fix everything with a hammer."

What was meant by that, is that I have little finesse in most situations and try to force things before I try to coax them. Also, I will kick and beat something to get it into place before I try to wiggle and maneuver it in.

I remember something a longtime boyfriend had told me before I decided to cut off the relationship. It was something like:

"I've lost interest because I know no matter what I do you'll still be there for me. That's boring."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back