Experiences What hooked you into roleplaying?

I used to have a tumblr blog and some of role players followed me. One of them was okay with interacting with non rp blogs and I interacted with them a few times. It was fun and exciting and I found myself wanting to know more! I made my own rp blog and 5-6 years later, I am still role playing.

When I was far far younger and likely too young to actually be on the internet I discovered IMVU and accidentally joined a role-playing server on there, in hindsight I tended to stray towards Mary Sue's or antagonists with little understanding of how roleplay worked but I loved it and really enjoyed writing. I'd imagine plotlines and characters in my spare time and then I'd play around with them with some friends I'd made on there who I've lost touch with but vividly remember to this day. Was all very fun and wholesome and think it was quite the nice introduction to this world. I remember a really elaborate plotline about a magic zombie king trying to take over a school but because assets and animations cost game-money it was always us having our avatars awkwardly standing around next to a crow (all we could afford as a placeholder for the baddie,) as we typed big dramatic paragraphs lamenting his evil ways.
Wow I remeber Imvu. Though I did not have the guts to roleplay there.

i used to be obsessed with those warrior cats books and i played this game called feral heart and i would join group roleplays (ofc, they’d only last about a day or two because some people would never come back 💀) and eventually i found a forum and i’ve been rping since then. having unsupervised internet access at a young age also really helped lol

I think my real intro to RP was super informal. It was really just one liners/actions that I would do virtually like “ *hugs* ” or “ *chases around* ”. I don’t think I even had “role-play” in the vocabulary that I would use to describe it. It was really more like chatting with friends. But then, I got introduced to creative writing and that opened the doors of curiosity for me in terms of online writing. I remembered not really looking for anything in particular, but just Googling “Mermaid Traits” because I wanted to write a story about mermaids. But lo and behold, I ended up in a lore page for a fantasy forum. I thought that the “game” aspect of role-playing was interesting. It’s like those Choose-Your-Own-Adventure books, but you get to play that adventure with friends. It didn’t really take long after that for me to get hooked. It combined my interests perfectly - creative writing, games, cool characters, new friends, online chats, and an excuse to stay on my computer.

I think the moment had to be when I did my very first Gossip Girl roleplay. I had always wanted more diversity in the show and books when I read and watched them, and it wasn't enough to get lost in fanfic. With fanfic, there were a lot that had to include the canon characters. With roleplaying, I got to add a character who spoke fluent Spanish with their families or genuinely have characters confronted with poverty and seeing how much their privilege kept them in a bubble, and it was an awesome feeling. Plus the same drama that had me running to the tv screen was now at my fingertips and that was heady.

Friends, let me take you on an odyssey.

The year is 2016 - no, 2017... ah, fuck it. The year was a very long time ago, and I had just received my very, very first smartphone. Ever. It was a little rinky-dink plastic burner phone from my aunt with 2 gigs of storage, 512 MB of RAM, a camera that only worked sometimes, and smelled suspiciously like Vape smoke. Being a young teen with no real responsibilities or obligations, I never did anything truly productive with it and just played a bunch of random free games from the Play Store and had a ball. It wasn't really good for much else.

It was, conveniently, good for one particular app: Amino.

Now I had done some "Roleplay" in the past, on this GMOD Prop Hunt ripoff and had some fun with it, but Amino is where my interest in Roleplaying really took off. I hadn't ever done a serious roleplay in the past, but I remember distinctly joining this one server called... I think it was called Shady Hill, where every character had an ability. I stuck around. I was super dedicated. I posted once, twice, thrice, regularly, daily. I even became a curator! Somehow! The details on that are fuzzy.

After a while though, I started getting a bit bored of Amino because it was barely - and I mean barely - working on my phone. With each update, it was getting slower and slower, and I knew that I'd need to figure something else out. Still, Amino formed a solid foundation for my love of Roleplaying.

Then... I found RPN. The rest is history.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back