Character Theory What helps you fall for characters?

Rosex

Rose
Or should I say what kind of things has a character done that encourages you to get a crush on them? Is it a personality type? The way they describe their appearance? Etc? 

Ehhhh, I've never crushed on an rp character, but a cool personality makes me more drawn to a character.

I tend to like humorous characters. Characters that are chill and are really realistic. By realistic, I mean a character that isn't modeled to fit a stupid anime archetype tbh. I like your average laid-back joes with interesting views and unique quirks.

Do you mean what kind of characters do I like to see in romance Roleplays? 

Usually I like a character that is a bit more proactive. I don't want to be stuck initiating every romantic encounter. I like characters that can mesh well with mine and seem like they could realistically be friends or significant others.

but as for me personally I try never to become personally invested in fictional creations mine or someone else's. I think it breeds a lot of misunderstandings and hurt feelings in the end

The only thing that should really make your character fall for them is time.  I have seen too often characters almost immediately go into a relationship with each other.  That's not how relationships work.  I'll be the first to say that, despite having a girlfriend, I am not someone you should come to about advise on the subject, but I do know that these things should happen organically.  I've been in a 1x1 with a friend over email for a couple years now (we're often slow to reply, getting maybe one reply a week now) and did not start with the intention to have our characters engage in a romantic relationship.  But now, after all they have been forced to endure with each other, they care deeply for one another.  What should spawn a relationship is time and exposure to each other.  Without that, your relationship will most likely be empty and (in all honesty) short-lived.

EDIT: It has come to my attention that I may have misinterpreted the overall topic.  My perspective was more along the lines of "What kind of characters do your characters usually go for?"  This, I believe, is mostly due to the fact that I have never "fallen" for any fictional character.  I also believe I did not perceive it that way because the results should be the same for real people (you like X hair color with Y eye color, so you like a character with X hair color and Y eye color).  It just varies from person to person.

Last edited by a moderator:
=P. Ya'll, all Rosex is asking is if 

1. You ever crushed on a character being played in an RP

2. And what about them made you crush so hard.

Was it the image on their CS, the character's qualities, the way the character was played, actions the character took, their dramatic biography, etc. I believe this a playful fantasy question in the same way one "falls" for "hot/dreamy" fictional characters in a book, TV show, or movie. Such as Alex Parrish from a show called Quantico or Chris Evans (Steve Rogers) from the Captain America movies.

I personally always get good vibes and dreamy thoughts about characters that are the strong and silent. That show they have a good conscience, high moral fiber, and feeling character through acts of meaningful devotion. Who show caring for others is what they value of most of all. Doesn't get any better than that. Those always make me a fan.

Adorable characters really get me. That's really all I can say XD I like a lot of my own characters because of this.

I'm not sure if I'd call it falling for a character, but I usually like serious and/or reserved characters that show some emotion on occasion. On the other hand, I also might like characters that start off as brash or mean but become more mature as the story goes. Specially true if it makes me think "if I were RPing as that character, that's exactly how I'd want to have played them". 

That is, of course, if I like the writing style too. Also, I don't think the cute types score many points with me, haha.

well, idk if i ever romantically crushed on an rp character, and my taste in fictional characters is a bit weird.

but there are basic things you can do to make people like your character more

make them rounded out and dynamic. one dimensional characters with no depth bore people. 

have their motivations make sense. for example a villain who kills people just cuz will get less fans than a villain who kills for an ideological reason, or to save his daughter, etc. a hero with no motivation is boring as well.

be internally consistent and generally logical with how their personality functions. its good to have depth but depth doesnt mean give your character a bunch of contradicting flaws, which is how some newbies interpret it (which is fine because theyre new).

make them relatable. most people like characters they can either relate to or project their fantasies onto.

overall theres always going to be people who dislike a character because in the end it boils down to personal taste. 

alright, outside of romantics, here is a more serious answer.

Characters that are fleshed to an extent they are akin to real people (settings/lore/etc. allowing). they are not flat; they have depth. depth makes me fall in love with a character (not romantically speaking). 

why does your character do what they do? what are their dreams? what are their flaws? what are their strengths? create traits with reasons. create characteristics that sensibly have NO reasoning. a good character has sort of a realistic feel to them. like ghost said, it does boil down to taste. i like a lot of darker characters. some do not. 
but overall, a well rounded, fleshed out character is the type of characters I love to see. we all have depth, and it's what makes us who we are. we have a drive, we have quirks, and we have vices.

Adorable characters really get me. That's really all I can say XD I like a lot of my own characters because of this.

What kind of adorable type? What do they do that makes them "adorable?"

Ehhhh, I've never crushed on an rp character, but a cool personality makes me more drawn to a character.

I tend to like humorous characters. Characters that are chill and are really realistic. By realistic, I mean a character that isn't modeled to fit a stupid anime archetype tbh. I like your average laid-back joes with interesting views and unique quirks.

What type of unique quirks? :3

=P. Ya'll, all Rosex is asking is if 

1. You ever crushed on a character being played in an RP

2. And what about them made you crush so hard.

Was it the image on their CS, the character's qualities, the way the character was played, actions the character took, their dramatic biography, etc. I believe this a playful fantasy question in the same way one "falls" for "hot/dreamy" fictional characters in a book, TV show, or movie. Such as Alex Parrish from a show called Quantico or Chris Evans (Steve Rogers) from the Captain America movies.

I personally always get good vibes and dreamy thoughts about characters that are the strong and silent. That show they have a good conscience, high moral fiber, and feeling character through acts of meaningful devotion. Who show caring for others is what they value of most of all. Doesn't get any better than that. Those always make me a fan.

The other replies can still count but yes: I want to know what makes a person reeaally like a character.

The other replies can still count but yes: I want to know what makes a person reeaally like a character.

Then I would say listen to Ghost.

well, idk if i ever romantically crushed on an rp character, and my taste in fictional characters is a bit weird.

but there are basic things you can do to make people like your character more

make them rounded out and dynamic. one dimensional characters with no depth bore people. 

have their motivations make sense. for example a villain who kills people just cuz will get less fans than a villain who kills for an ideological reason, or to save his daughter, etc. a hero with no motivation is boring as well.

be internally consistent and generally logical with how their personality functions. its good to have depth but depth doesnt mean give your character a bunch of contradicting flaws, which is how some newbies interpret it (which is fine because theyre new).

make them relatable. most people like characters they can either relate to or project their fantasies onto.

overall theres always going to be people who dislike a character because in the end it boils down to personal taste. 

That was a spectacular answer. 

What kind of adorable type? What do they do that makes them "adorable?"
large.Jessica.jpg.2a418654f6b3d38435211c0fe96390a2.jpg

Cute appearances like the one above, as well as innocent and childlike speech patterns and behaviors (That doesn't mean the character themselves necessarily have to be, just that it seems that way on the outside)

What type of unique quirks? :3

Hmmm. Kinda hard to explain. Let me rephrase that?

Instead of unique quirks- just quirks specific to them. The character doesn't have to be super weird, but everybody has a certain way that they look at things or do things.

This is terrible, but...I fall hard for characters I kinda feel sorry for. Like villains who are a little pathetic, or heroes who act afraid or vulnerable. 

That's not a character type I really see in RPs, though, so I can't say I've had an RP crush.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back