Journal What do you wish people better understood about you?

I wish people better understood the comfort I find in silence. It doesn't have to mean that something is wrong. I like the quiet, the rain, and having the space to daydream.

I wish people understood I’m an emotional person more than others. That my constant sensitivity and crying and emotional reactions such as defensive responses I can’t help. And I wish people would stop telling me to grow some thick skin because I had thick skin when I was younger and I got punished for it and put in mental hospitals. Giving me trauma and stress. Resulting in my over emotional self today.

That I'm not okay most days, or that i can get paranoid about what someone thinks about me and about what all my actions are interpreted as, or that my view of a person can rapidly switch to the extreme negative if i reach out and they leave me on read, and then right back to normal once they reply. All in all i wish people understood that I'm fucked up and all that entails.

Last edited:
That tough love never works on me. Don't get me wrong, for some people, it's a different story. There are situations in which it's appropriate, but I don't think it has ever reacted well with me. I genuinely wish it would sometimes, but it never has a favorable outcome.

I wish people better understood the comfort I find in silence. It doesn't have to mean that something is wrong. I like the quiet, the rain, and having the space to daydream.
I guess you could say I have resting b-face syndrome and I've generally been quiet, always thinking to myself, by myself about this or that.

My older cousin who is more like an aunt used to say that I somehow had a 'bad attitude' when I literally almost never said anything, much less anything bad.

It may be a thing about Latin culture on my end? Idk. I don't know why older folks (maybe just older Latin relatives?) seem to despise quiet introspective people.

It may be bias comparing me to her little brother (who is my younger cousin) ? Idk. I guess he was more smiley happy-go-lucky and loud and that's what my culture likes better?

There were other times where I had family friends harassing me about why I was so quiet and not talking.

SMH. Honestly sometimes I wonder if the older generation is just mad ungrateful because you should really be glad to have had someone like I was instead of someone like... some screaming 7 year old asking stuff like are we there yet?

I wish people knew, that I genuinely have people's best interest in mind, and I really want people to succeed and be happy. Like legit
It can portray itself as fierce and sometimes that's hostility to others and to me it's genuine love. Although, I wish people knew I am an affectionate nice person ; that's all.

I wish that people understood that my tough exterior doesn't make me invulnerable to harm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back