Opinion What do you think of asexuality and aromantics?

How is he being rude? There are actual people that would identify as such. Not saying how we should take the idiotic 'otherkin' community seriously and classify what they feel as a gender/sexual orientation, but then again, the same thing could be said about all these new-fangled genders that people keep inventing to explain, what amounts to, their feelings. 

I refuse to divulge in this any more.  Nothing either I nor anyone else could say would help the situation become more positive, and if that cannot be accomplished, there is no point.

Anyway asexuality was taken out of the DSM in 2013 and isn't hormonal.  Just like being gay was taken out of the DSM a couple decades  ago and isn't hormonal.

There's no way to prove gravity exists, yet we believe it's the thing that makes stuff fall, so whatever.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyway asexuality was taken out of the DSM in 2013 and isn't hormonal.  Just like being gay was taken out of the DSM a couple decades  ago and isn't hormonal.

There's no way to prove gravity exists, yet we believe it's the thing that makes stuff fall, so whatever.

We can actually prove gravity exists. Gravity waves can be measured. Science. 

I'm involuntarily asexual /joke

Though real talk, asexuals are an odd case as I've heard that even LGBT+ discriminate against them for not having any sort of attraction to someone. Its a sad case because out of the LGBT+ group, they are probably the most tolerized even praised by religious communities.

We can actually prove gravity exists. Gravity waves can be measured. Science. 

http://www.cracked.com/photoplasty_579_25-mind-blowing-things-science-cant-explain/

http://www.dailyforest.com/popular/10-amazing-mysteries-science-cant-explain

http://listverse.com/2015/04/10/10-fascinating-mysteries-of-life-that-science-cant-explain/

I'm involuntarily asexual /joke

Though real talk, asexuals are an odd case as I've heard that even LGBT+ discriminate against them for not having any sort of attraction to someone. Its a sad case because out of the LGBT+ group, they are probably the most tolerized even praised by religious communities.

Incorrect.  Religion praises people who feel sexual desire who resist it.  People who do no feel it are considered broken and in need of fixing in the best case, and posessed/demonic/evil at worst.

What about love?

As far as we know, love is the feeling you get when certain chemicals in your brain are released, along with the emotional bond you can form with someone.

What about love?

"Time is the indefinite continued progress of existence and events that occur in apparently irreversible succession from the past through the present to the future."

Half of these we can actually explain, the other half is just random stuff that is too obscure or unimportant to test conclusively.

Just now, Icerex said:

As far as we know, love is the feeling you get when certain chemicals in your brain are released, along with the emotional bond you can form with someone.

"Time is the indefinite continued progress of existence and events that occur in apparently irreversible succession from the past through the present to the future."

But can we prove them?

Though I personally am not asexual (bi/pan maybe.) I think asexuality is a legitimate sexuality. I can understand the idea that some people have no sexual attraction to other people. I can understand that some people have no romantic attraction to other people. I can understand that some people are entirely repulsed by the idea of sex. The human mind is a mysterious thing. 

I also understand that some other people can't understand this concept and that's fine. 

What do you mean by "prove." We know what they are and how they work, do you require something more? 

Make me believe they exist. I'm aromantic, so I've never felt romantic love. If I've never felt that kind of love, how do I know it exists? As for time, I just decided not to believe in it. So, convince me.

Half of these we can actually explain, the other half is just random stuff that is too obscure or unimportant to test conclusively.

That was from a 10-second google search.  There are clearly THOUSANDS of things which science can't explain if that's what I found in ten seconds.  Science isn' the answer to everything lol.

That was from a 10-second google search.  There are clearly THOUSANDS of things which science can't explain if that's what I found in ten seconds.  Science isn' the answer to everything lol.

Yes it is. It is the method by which we discover new things. It is also the ONLY method that has been proven to work time and time again, and until someone else comes up with a method that works better, it's all we got.

Make me believe they exist. I'm aromantic, so I've never felt romantic love. If I've never felt that kind of love, how do I know it exists? As for time, I just decided not to believe in it. So, convince me.

How can someone not believe in time? That is just a non sequitur. As far as romantic attraction goes, and your seeming lack of it, that is a much broader topic. My best guess would be that aromantic is something akin to sociopathy where the subject is incapable of creating romantic bonds or connections with people, while still being able to empathize and show every other emotion. Then again, I'm no expert, so don't take my word for it. I'm sure there's tons of studies done that you can find online. 

3 hours ago, Icerex said:

Yes it is. It is the method by which we discover new things. It is also the ONLY method that has been proven to work time and time again, and until someone else comes up with a method that works better, it's all we got.

How can someone not believe in time? That is just a non sequitur. As far as romantic attraction goes, and your seeming lack of it, that is a much broader topic. My best guess would be that aromantic is something akin to sociopathy where the subject is incapable of creating romantic bonds or connections with people, while still being able to empathize and show every other emotion. Then again, I'm no expert, so don't take my word for it. I'm sure there's tons of studies done that you can find online. 

I don't believe in time just the way you don't believe in my orientation 

Scientists change their mind about whether eggs are good for us every 40 years or so, so I'm sorry, but I'm really not about to let science dictate anything to do with the complexity of human existence.  That just doesn't seem logical or sound.  That would be like asking a toddler to do algebra.  A baby doesn't have the tools to do that, so you'd never ask it to.

Oh shit am I gonna get in trouble

Not at all, but there's just a history of most threads made involving politics, religion, LGBT matters, or any kind of sensitive topic devolving into a mess and people hurling insults and getting into arguments.

As long as everyone gets along and stays civil, it should be fine though. 

@Icerex I find it hard to wrap my head around the fact that there are more than two sexes but that doesn't mean I'm going to invalidate them or not believe in the fact that they exist.

Just now, Ghost said:

Not at all, but there's just a history of most threads made involving politics, religion, LGBT matters, or any kind of sensitive topic devolving into a mess and people hurling insults and getting into arguments.

As long as everyone gets along and stays civil, it should be fine though. ^^

Ok cool

I don't believe in time jut the way you don't believe in my orientation 

Never said I didn't believe in your orientation. Also, equating the nature of time itself with the concept of aromanticism seems slightly imbalanced.  

Scientists change their mind about whether eggs are good for every 40 years or so, so I'm sorry, but I'm really not about to let science dictate anything to do with the complexity of human existence.  That just doesn't seem logical or sound.  That would be like asking a toddler to do algebra.  A baby doesn't have the tools to do that, so you'd never ask it to.

Do not equate the whims of the dietary world with the core concepts of the scientific method. Also, like I said, until someone comes up with a better way of understanding the world, science is still the only viable option. Got a better way of doing things? Something that provides results?  

Well I was just going to sit myself down and eat some popcorn while I watch an impending warzone of feminists, SJWs, and anti-feminists recreate the Battle of Stalingrad, but then the topic switched to arguments against the scientific method and related misunderstandings. @Scattered Ambitions , I'm sorry to continue this slight derailing, but I'm a selfish bastard.

What about love?

This doesn't work. Science doesn't care about proving the existence of love because 'love' is nothing more than a concept - A word applied with characteristics so it's easier for us to talk about certain feelings. A more accurate sentence would have been 'What about that feeling I get towards specific people that makes me want to remain around them, protect them, and reproduce with them' (along with whatever else you might do with your special someone.) How would it be proven? Well, you'd first need to be shown that people genuinly have that feeling that 'love' is meant to represent. Then it needs to be shown which areas of the brain 'light up' depending on the feeling, showing the release of chemicals which cause those feelings which build the relations. So essentially, that would be the job of neurology(?) and... sociology maybe?

What about time?

You can't say you don't believe in time without suffering some extreme hallucinations or ignorance; once you understand the concept of 'time' (the passage of the present into the future, the continuation of events, etc.) you realize you are constantly being exposed to evidence of its existence. In the time you spend writing out responses, or breathing, or reading these posts, you are experiencing proof that time exists. If it didn't, you would be frozen in place with non-progressing thought. Nothing would happen, plain and simple. I think physics also ties into this, as scientists currently theorize over time's relation to gravity. However, I don't understand that side of 'time' in the slightest.

But yeah, essentially you can't say you just don't believe in time unless you don't understand the concept.

Correction: There are thousands of things which science /hasn't/ explained, and many scientists freely admit that. However, it's the best method of study because it is the only method of study possible, but that doesn't mean it's going to have all the answers. However, just because the answers aren't there right now doesn't mean it's worthless. It eventually explained biology, it eventually explained gravity, it eventually explained evolution, etc. It's continuing to attempt to explain a wide variety of things, and with time I think it will explain them. I think it can eventually explain all natural laws and rules because it is all conceivable methods of study;  'the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment' To test and study, plain and simple. It's the only method of study because 'science' is just 'to study.'

Though there is a possibility it isn't the answer to everything, if you believe in the supernatural.

Scientists change their mind about whether eggs are good for us every 40 years or so, so I'm sorry, but I'm really not about to let science dictate anything to do with the complexity of human existence.  That just doesn't seem logical or sound.  That would be like asking a toddler to do algebra.  A baby doesn't have the tools to do that, so you'd never ask it to.

Scientists change their minds depending on the new information that comes up. One day they might believe one thing, and the next it may be something different due to new information. With many issues there is a split because they aren't sure yet. Believe it or not, this is one of the benefits; what is the alternative to changing your mind depending on new information? Ignoring the new information and continuing to argue a refuted concept? One could say 'not making mistakes,' but that has its own selection of problems that I'm sure you can figure out.

As for the complexity of human existence, which part? The begging-the-question 'why are we here'? This was about human sexuality - It's the result of brain activity and hormones, not magic. It may take time for the scientific method to explain why gay people are gay, or why asexuals are asexual, but I see nothing that makes it impossible.

in all honesty, it doesn't seem that big a deal to me. i'm asexual (even though i always introduce myself as bi for simplicity's sake) and nobody i know could give half a damn about it.

the only problem i have with it is when other people don't understand it. i remember being in a quiet room with a close friend, thinking about it for a long time, when i decided to come out.

now, this was a big moment for me and i was pretty scared. what was she gonna say? surely it would just be support, since it would explain my odd taste in boys and give me an excuse not to look for a relationship, but nah. she just burst into hysterical laughter and said, totally despairing, 'oh my god, you're not asexual, [name].' pretty heartbreaking at the time but she just doesn't get it, i suppose. i've tried to come out to other people too but they think i'm talking about the scientific term of asexual reproduction, like i identify as something that's not human. all i ever get are weird stares and a long, drawn out 'okaaay...'

but really, i still don't think it matters. as long as people can accept that sex just isn't a part of ace people's lives, there's no need for any kind of deep understanding or connection. just a little respect.

@Scattered Ambitions Here - I'm making a joke that there's an incoming shitstorm of heated arguments. That, or people lose interest. I'm going to keep my popcorn ready for the former.

You're welcome for this, by the way. 

in all honesty, it doesn't seem that big a deal to me. i'm asexual (even though i always introduce myself as bi for simplicity's sake) and nobody i know could give half a damn about it.

the only problem i have with it is when other people don't understand it. i remember being in a quiet room with a close friend, thinking about it for a long time, when i decided to come out.

now, this was a big moment for me and i was pretty scared. what was she gonna say? surely it would just be support, since it would explain my odd taste in boys and give me an excuse not to look for a relationship, but nah. she just burst into hysterical laughter and said, totally despairing, 'oh my god, you're not asexual, [name].' pretty heartbreaking at the time but she just doesn't get it, i suppose. i've tried to come out to other people too but they think i'm talking about the scientific term of asexual reproduction, like i identify as something that's not human. all i ever get are weird stares and a long, drawn out 'okaaay...'

but really, i still don't think it matters. as long as people can accept that sex just isn't a part of ace people's lives, there's no need for any kind of deep understanding or connection. just a little respect.

It's stuff like this here. Listen, I'm not trying to be rude but you're elevating something not so odd to the status of being gay. While I don't necessarily support homosexuality, I can appreciate the effect that being a homosexual has on one's life and that there are certain social stigmas attached. 

This baggage just does not exist for you. People have been swearing off sex for thousands of years. If anything, melodrama over a hormonal defficiency or other such physiological irregularity (as you all have failed to convince me it is otherwise) is just damaging to the gay agenda. 

No one is attacking "aromantic" or "asexual" people, we're simply saying that people of your ilk have existed in society forever, openly, there is no social stigma against NOT having sex, at worst people just shrug and go, "Okay, John is chaste." So we don't understand the melodrama. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back