Viewpoint What are your "Cardinal Sins" of Writing?

No spaces between paragraphs, especially when there is dialogue between different characters in the same post.

1. Pity farming characters, who exist to soak up sympathy and provide nothing in every situation. Cut to them crying in a corner or getting massacred by enemies, begging and pleading for help. It's like munchausen by proxy, but with a character.

2. This is my personal preference, but exposition writing.

imagery is exremely important to me. I want to stimulate your imagination as much as possible, so my expostion is sparse. Usually sandwiched between tangible things you can imagine (actions and descriptions).

I'll alternate between the two, so you'll have enough time to picture the scene while reading expostion, before returning to imagery. I'll also specifically position dialogue for this reason.

Some people write expostion and tell tell tell, but never show what's happening. You can spot this style when you check the mental image in your head. If it's blank while you're reading a passage, then it's exposition. We all need to do it sometimes, but in moderation please.

Let me stress this again though, preference bruv. There are legendary authors who write tons and tons of expostion, and barely show what's happening "on screen," and they're clearly more successful than me 🤣.

So don't feel too bad if this calls you out.

Mostly, being boring. I can deal with nearly anything else, but when I struggle to get to the end of the first paragraph? Please, end my suffering.

Flashbacks as a part of an otherwise unrelated post, specifically if they are longer than the presented value included in the post provided. Flashbacks should not consist of 50% of a post, if anything it is far longer than it needs to be should it exceed 25%.

But sometimes you have to do it, but you ought to do it tactfully. Such as, in the instance that the roleplay progress beyond your previous contribution, then it would be reasonable to expect some fashion of quick retrospective writing. But commonly that is seldom how flashbacks are presented, and even if they are they are commonly far too long.

Could have, would have, should have.
It's means it is.
For all intents and purposes. Not intensive purposes.
Affect and effect each have two meanings. As verbs, affect means to cause a change in something, and effect means to bring about. As nouns, an affect is an emotion or desire that influences behavior, and an effect is some kind of change.
It's godmoding. Not godmodding.
Defiantly means with resistance or disobedience. Definitely means with great certainty. And there is no A in definitely.
Illicit means forbidden, usually by law. Elicit means to evoke or draw out.
Complement refers to a part or element which completes another in some sense. Compliment is a nice thing you say to someone.
Elude means to evade or avoid. Allude means to suggest or call attention to.
An object doesn't see a change. It experiences or causes it.
Discrete means individual, separate, quantized. Discreet means careful, circumspect.
A cue is an indicator or signal of some kind. A queue is a line, usually of people, that is usually ordered with respect to some location.
Droll doesn't mean boring.
Irregardless isn't a word.
A tenant is a person who rents property. A tenet is a principle, belief, or doctrine.
When a quantity increases from one value to a second value, that's not an exponential change, no matter how large the difference is.
Don't over extend your vocabulary. If you aren't absolutely certain of a word's meaning, don't use it.
Write to communicate clearly. Not to impress.
"I wrote this at 3am / on my phone / while drunk / etc." : I don't care. If there is a set of conditions under which you can't write correctly, don't write under those conditions. If you can't be bothered to put in any effort, then I can't be bothered to read anything you write. I wrote this on my phone btw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back