Literature What are you reading at the moment?

i truly can’t believe i resisted for so long. i absolutely love it.
I really only started reading it because i was a fan of the grishaverse at the time but when I started it was *chefs kiss*. A leg up from the trilogy, imo.

I just finished Faces in the Crowd by Valeria Luiselli. There were a few parts that resonated with me, but mostly, I found it uninteresting and sporadic. Eh..

Currently, I have A Lion Among Men by Gregory Maguire, City of Thieves by David Benioff, and Steppenwolf by Hermann Hesse all on my reading pile.

I'm reading Ann Leckie's "Imperial Radch" novels, which are very likely my favorite space operas of all time. She takes all the usual rules of the genre and tips them gently on their ear, and the result is something sublime. The series is a journey of revenge that goes few places you'd expect; it has starships and aliens and empires but none of them are from the usual stock. The entire second book is an extended upstairs/downstairs manor drama (but in space!), and the final novel has a scene of our protagonist standing on the hull of her sentient starship firing a handgun into the void, because she knows something (almost) nobody else does. I love this series.

Next on deck are the Locked Tomb books by Tamsyn Muir, because the next one's coming out next month! And I rarely need a reason to spend a few hours with Ianthe Tridentarius.

And after that palate cleanser (Ha!), I'll probably start on Joe Abercrombie's Age of Madness series. Abercrombie is one of my favorite authors of recent memory, and the First Law series are absolutely incredible (made even moreso by the astonishing narration that Stephen Pacey does for the audiobooks). I've been waiting for the entire new trilogy to be released, because I already know that I'm going to just want to plow through all the books.

I absolutely adore the Imperial Radch series! I’m actually re-reading. Breq is such a cool and unique character. The premise of an AI trapped in a human body was enough to get me hooked!

I've been working my way through the graphic novel series
BONE by Jeff Smith
And I recently finished The Dresden Files Peace Talks book by Jim Butcher

RIght now I'm reading My Sister, the Serial Killer by Oyinkan Braithwaite which I am really enjoying so far as a great way to kick off spooky book season. As for comic books I am currently trying to make my way through Black Widow (2014) and the art is absolutely gorgeous.

The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov and I'm Glad My Mom Died by Jennette McCurdy. Both are amazing for different reasons, but 12/10 would recommend.

I've read a bunch of the books I got for Christmas already, but I'm currently reading Peter H. Wilson's 'Iron and Blood: A Military History of the German-speaking Peoples since 1500'. It's a beast of a book, but it makes for excellent reading. :closed eyes open smile:

The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin

Recently, I finished This Is How You Lose the Time War by Amal El-Mohtar & Max Gladstone. If you're looking to get back into reading, need something short and easy to read, I'd highly recommend this book. I think it's considered sci-fi? It's sapphic, too. Had some of the most beautiful prose I've ever read.

The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin

Recently, I finished This Is How You Lose the Time War by Amal El-Mohtar & Max Gladstone. If you're looking to get back into reading, need something short and easy to read, I'd highly recommend this book. I think it's considered sci-fi? It's sapphic, too. Had some of the most beautiful prose I've ever read.

I absolutely adore both of these - The Broken Earth is an astonishing work, and This is How you Lose the Time War made me cry!

Nora Jemisin's next series (The Great Cities duology) is currently eating all of my reading time. The opening of The City We Became is almost a long-form slam poem, and it was so much fun to read aloud to my partner.

Flight of the Eisenstein and A Little Hatred. Wildly different but both rather good

BLPROCESSED-Soulless-Fury-Cover.jpgI mean, calling it reading would be a generous implication. But I've been half-heartedly attempting to read Souless Fury. It's a Warhammer 40k book in the setting of Necromunda, an infamous hive city in the fandom lore.

But if I said I've gotten more than 20 pages in, I'd be lying.

Going through some of my old Conan the Barbarian comics (and debating on whether to pick up and re-read one of my many paperbacks of the same persuasion) to keep up my muse as I'm writing out an RP setting heavily inspired by the fandom.

as of today i'm getting back into the Familiars series by Adam Jay epstein and andrew jacobson. I know these are kids books, but I remember loving the characters and the concept itself is just so good. About to sit down and read them again might also make a rp inspired by it, who knows.

I'm getting a grip on early modern English by working through King James' Gospel of John. Hopefully it'll help me tackle Paradise Lost eventually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back