TV & Film What are the most cancerous fandoms you have ever seen?

Wow, I never expected this of all things to resurrect.
Can we take a moment to just say that media is ruined by the same model of people? Pretentious, rabid, obnoxious, usually use tumblr, extreme left, usually females? I mean, isn't it really odd that great things are ruined by this model? Not calling out anyone in particular btw.

Wow, I never expected this of all things to resurrect.
Can we take a moment to just say that media is ruined by the same model of people? Pretentious, rabid, obnoxious, usually use tumblr, extreme left, usually females? I mean, isn't it really odd that great things are ruined by this model? Not calling out anyone in particular btw.
Honestly, I've noticed this, too. I almost became one of them.

Honestly, I've noticed this, too. I almost became one of them.
I really did want to make a top ten list on the worst fandoms of all time, but like, I realized it's literally one mold of people that typically consist of 90% of the fandom in question.

If you want a weird story, some girl brought a Voltron body pillow up on a panel stage, she covered the genitalia with duck tape. I don't think my dad wants to go to comic con panels any more.

If anyone wants I can go into further detail.

Please Do
Is you say so.

I went to comic con this year with my father and brother, we went to go reserve spaces for a panel called "an hour with Adam Savage" my dad saw a Voltron panel. Since he watched the original Voltron show, he wanted to take a look. My brother was fine with it, but I was not happy (I had booths to go to). Additionally, anything that says Netflix original is evil. But my dad really wants to check it out. So we do, we wait on line as my dad talks to a man on line for the same reason. We wait for at least 30 minutes on line and I see more and more people line up behind us. We get in and sit down. They ramble on about the show, put up a few clips from the next season. And then they call producers and voice actors from the show up. They proceed to talk on for a bit longer, that is until the dude hosting the panel asks anyone with "epic merchandise" to come up on stage. We see some cool things, rare rings from the original series and a cool clay figure of some dude. That, this fat lady "cosplaying" as the red dude comes up on the stage with a body pillow, which happens to be fully nude. She had the genitalia covered with duct tape and called it a hug pillow. We left shortly after that, and my dad wouldn't say anything to either of us after. I don't think he likes Voltron anymore.

(Hope you enjoyed my rambling nonsense)

Is you say so.

I went to comic con this year with my father and brother, we went to go reserve spaces for a panel called "an hour with Adam Savage" my dad saw a Voltron panel. Since he watched the original Voltron show, he wanted to take a look. My brother was fine with it, but I was not happy (I had booths to go to). Additionally, anything that says Netflix original is evil. But my dad really wants to check it out. So we do, we wait on line as my dad talks to a man on line for the same reason. We wait for at least 30 minutes on line and I see more and more people line up behind us. We get in and sit down. They ramble on about the show, put up a few clips from the next season. And then they call producers and voice actors from the show up. They proceed to talk on for a bit longer, that is until the dude hosting the panel asks anyone with "epic merchandise" to come up on stage. We see some cool things, rare rings from the original series and a cool clay figure of some dude. That, this fat lady "cosplaying" as the red dude comes up on the stage with a body pillow, which happens to be fully nude. She had the genitalia covered with duct tape and called it a hug pillow. We left shortly after that, and my dad wouldn't say anything to either of us after. I don't think he likes Voltron anymore.

awesome

Is you say so.

So you are saying that he is now a "No-tron"?

I read an article about how some big-time Voltron fan managed to get their hands on the script for the next season, and threatened to release them to the public if they didn't make one of their fan-ships canon.
Essentially, they threatened to have the company shut down for a long time, as they would have to re-write the script and what-not.

Rick and Mortey.

To Be Fair, You Have To Have A Very High IQ To Understand Rick And Morty

be4.jpg

I hate to say it, but the Star Wars fandom is actually one of the most toxic fandoms out there. I mean, I'm pretty obsessed with Star Wars and I own all the movies and recreate the costumes and all that stuff, but the fans.... my gosh. There are the 40 year old fanboys who grew up with the original trilogy and look down on people who actually like the prequels and/or sequels. There are other forms of prequel haters who call the actors horrible names and claim you're a "fake fan" because you like them. Then there are the more pretentious, neurotic prequel fans who look down on people for liking the new Disney stuff. (I mean, I'm a prequel fan who isn't too fond of the new trilogy, but come on. No need to hate on people who like it.) And of course, there are all those fine folks who beat up on new fans who don't know much about Star Wars in general. There's just so much of this "If you don't like or dislike the same thing I like or dislike, then you're not a real fan and your opinions are wrong" sort of attitude.

T TheRockInception , so true! That group of people that dominate on Tumblr are the reason why I left that site.

I hate to say it, but the Star Wars fandom is actually one of the most toxic fandoms out there. I mean, I'm pretty obsessed with Star Wars and I own all the movies and recreate the costumes and all that stuff, but the fans.... my gosh. There are the 40 year old fanboys who grew up with the original trilogy and look down on people who actually like the prequels and/or sequels. There are other forms of prequel haters who call the actors horrible names and claim you're a "fake fan" because you like them. Then there are the more pretentious, neurotic prequel fans who look down on people for liking the new Disney stuff. (I mean, I'm a prequel fan who isn't too fond of the new trilogy, but come on. No need to hate on people who like it.) And of course, there are all those fine folks who beat up on new fans who don't know much about Star Wars in general. There's just so much of this "If you don't like or dislike the same thing I like or dislike, then you're not a real fan and your opinions are wrong" sort of attitude.

T TheRockInception , so true! That group of people that dominate on Tumblr are the reason why I left that site.
I'm not a Star Wars Fan, but from what I've noticed they are pretty toxic. I just hate the way they pick on Adam Driver. I know he plays the bad guy, but that's no reason to pick on him. From what I've seen, he seems like an incredibly nice guy.

I'm not a Star Wars Fan, but from what I've noticed they are pretty toxic. I just hate the way they pick on Adam Driver. I know he plays the bad guy, but that's no reason to pick on him. From what I've seen, he seems like an incredibly nice guy.

I know, isn't it awful? Like, no, I'm not very fond of Kylo Ren as a character. But Adam Driver is super nice, and an honorable man who actually served in the military. He doesn't have a social media because he's shy and self-conscious about what people will say about him. You don't have to like the character, but don't hate on the actor, people! Same with Hayden Christensen and Jake Lloyd. People say the meanest things about those guys.

I know, isn't it awful? Like, no, I'm not very fond of Kylo Ren as a character. But Adam Driver is super nice, and an honorable man who actually served in the military. He doesn't have a social media because he's shy and self-conscious about what people will say about him. You don't have to like the character, but don't hate on the actor, people! Same with Hayden Christensen and Jake Lloyd. People say the meanest things about those guys.
Seriously, it's one of the most annoying things when people hate on actors over fictional characters. They're just doing there jobs as actors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back