Waterdeep Dragon Heist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Garret walks into the Portal and sighs in relief. "Ah, this will always be more my speed." Better than some stuffy mage tower, that's for sure. He approaches Volo as he spots him.

Nodding as Hokk addresses him, Garret smiles at the wizard. "Yes, whatever we can do to get this transaction going, let's do it."

Yawning Portal:

The older mage began to collect his things, taking a hasty swig of his drink, "Almost everyone, almost everyone -- we'll need to visit a city official for the proper transition. There's a fee too, but Lord Neverember graciously offered to cover that for you all, as he appreciated the rescue from the other day." Volo began shoving his papers and tools into a bag, however the more he pushed into it, the bag itself didn't seem to show it. "We can either walk there or maybe take a carriage? I set the appointment earlier, but I was getting concerned perhaps I'd missed you all and was going to have to pay another fee for wasting their time."

Hokk smiled responding, "alright, it's a nice enough day out. Maybe I can start to get as good of a grasp on these streets as Goldy has." he opens up the door to the outside and steps out taking a big breath while streching. "Let's get to it, I have a house to clean."

Yawning Portal:

Nodding, "Walking it is then! Nearly packed here," Volo continued to shovel things into his bag, eventually finishing and placing a few coins down on his table. He motioned for the group to follow him, waving to the waitresses as he left, a few other patrons also waving their farewell.

Out on the street the older mage took a deep breath then answered Werner, "Lord Neverember? Honestly lad, more likely to find him on the street than anywhere official! Easier to set an appointment and the Lord tends to find you instead, I can let him know you want to talk if you'd like. If you try to go to the Neverember House, it's a makeshift clinic and home for those less fortunate, the lad truly is the opposite of his father, in a good way." A few people on the street turned to watch the large makeshift party cross the streets, "Waterdeep needs Nobles like him, shame still too many are more concerned with their doilies and silks than the people who make such things ..."

Making idle chatter the rest of the way, the group quickly arrived at the respective official building for the deed transfer, waiting patiently until called upon, a strange group in such a proper area. The other people waiting to be served clutched their belongings closely while small children openly stared in wonder. A few of the adults appeared to recognize Volo but he merely smiled and waved until the group was called in.

The official seemed to have little interest in conversation, merely asking for "Tax and Title," collecting both from Volo and then looking at the group for their names to mark down as the new owners. However he still muttered under his breath, "Tch, Trollskull huh ..." before handing the newly transferred deed to the party and the collective group was shuffled out without much fanfare.

Volo clasped his hands together, standing outside on the steps of the building, "Well! At least you can't say they weren't quick, right? I'll lead you lot to your new property -- it doesn't look like much, but I'm sure you can fix it up no problem!"

Trollskull Manor:

Crossing back a few streets, criss-crossing here and there, Volo eventually points to a building: four stories tall and boasting balconies, a turret, and five chimneys, the abandoned building is one of the grandest in Trollskull Alley. As long as you don't look too close at the aged and rotting wood, the broken shutters, and crumbling brickwork.

The older mage rested his fists on his hips, "Used to be quite the place back in its day, always busy and bustling, but sadly time wears down all things in the end." He was silent a moment, "Bought the place because it was supposedly haunted -- thought I might get enough material for my next book, yet nothing seemed to happen the nights I stayed here." Volo crossed his arms, "I don't have the time, energy, or funding to try and get it going again, but worst case I'm sure you lot can find someone to rent it out from you."

Turning to the group with a smile, "If you do get it going again, I request to be one of your first customers! Keep me up to date will you, if you see me?"

Hokk kept quiet while hearing the title transfer take place, not having delt with any transfers, let alone from what it seems is more complex in Waterdeep he made sure to keep quiet unless called upon.

Upon arriving at the Manor Hokk's eyes grew wide, this.. this is ours? With a slight glimmer he was in awe. Sure it could be fixed up but not owning much before and now this grand structure in a large city was a big step. "I'm haven't fixed up houses before, but I'm sure we could all make it look pretty nice. Should we head inside to check it out? might be pretty dusty."

Well-accustomed to Waterdeep's bureaucratic bent, Garret quietly sits by as the deed transfer procedures progress. If this is what it takes to get ahead in this city, better to learn it now, I suppose.

Later, as the group approaches the building and Volo explains the property, Garret finds himself cautiously excited. It definitely needs some work, but I've seen ships in worse shape sail again. "Volo, you've really come through here, and I admit I had my doubts. I thank you." Garret smiles wide at the manor and glances at Hokk. "We should DEFINITELY go in." He starts whistling a merry shanty and heads for the front door.

Sera was so bored by the time the bureaucratics got to an end, even though she should have expected it and it was over quite quickly. Still, her short attention span got the better of her. She began casting light on random objects inside the office, although trying not to disturb the clerk too much.

"A house? OUR house?" Exclaims Goldy in a tone that's filled with hope, joy and disbelief in about equal measures. "So what if it's haunted? The more the merrier, right?" After glancing the place up and down a few times, she shrugs, saying "Although it could definitely do with some touching up. I'm so excited for all this!" Sera manages to get her giggling under control after a few seconds. She then goes along with Garret, ready for whatever is behind the door.

Trollskull Manor:

Pushing open the door, there's a heavy smell of old wood and aged air within the dim structure. The main taproom is filled with broken furniture, tarnished silverware, casks of wine that have turned to vinegar, and worthless detritus. Even on the inside the windows are dusty and covered in grime, preventing any of the daylight from leaking inside. Old signs and marks carved into the wooden beams still linger, though a few have become home to various bugs.

"Now here's a place I could live," Fosco says heartily as he enters. "Very homey. Wonder what poor cadaverous cur put these marks here," He adds absently while looking at the beams. "Haunted, he said? Hmm. Not seein' it. Haunted by squatters maybe."

As they walk in, the light illuminated the inside of the building which had been dark for some time. Swatting away cobwebs and such Hokk smiled seeing the taproom, "is this a house or an inn?" Running over to the wine barrel he opens it seeing and smelling the vinegar like liquid he closes it back up disappointed.

Looking to his friends, "should we explore? I wonder what other rooms await us, maybe we have a cellar for food and more drinks!"

As Garret walks in the door and gives the space a sweeping look, his eyes go wide. "It's a...BAR!" He wipes away a fake tear from the side of his eye. "I've never been so happy!" It's not a ship but it's almost as good. If we can get this place up and running...

He wanders around the first floor space, noting the rooms and the work that will need to be done. Spotting the hatch behind the bar, he looks up at his companions and points at the aged door in the floor. "Think there's a portal to a dungeon down there?"

He walks over to one of the aging casks and takes a big sniff as he removes the bung. He immediately returns it, involuntarily flinching. "We're gonna need some fresher booze."

Trollskull Manor:

Volo stepped up to the door, peeking in, "Well, I need to continue on with the rest of my day, here's hoping all goes well for you! I look forward to seeing what you accomplish here." The older mage waved before leaving, closing the door behind him and blocking out the light once more, leaving you all to the silence and strange smells of the old structure.

Hokk catches a whiff of a raunchy scent, looking around to make sure he didn't leave the wine cask open. Sniffing around he checks himself and winds up running into Garret where it seems to be strongest. Under his breath Hokk mumbles to Garret, "is that uh you that stinks? Come over here, it's been a rough day I can claim this one." As he motions Garret over towards the cask, Hokk bumps it knocking the bung out as old vinegar smelling wine pours out onto his lap. "Damn, clumsy me. They clearly didn't make these passageways expecting bigger Half-orcs huh." As he winks to Garret believing he's made the performance of his life.

While on the floor he opens up the trap door to look in the cellar, "seems like more wine and dust."

Garret sniffs as he continues to wander the space, unable to get the stink out of his nose. As Hokk undergoes his well-meaning performance, Garret furrows his brow and begins to smell himself. "Is that me? Did I spill that foul stuff?" He begins to pat himself down and brush himself off, quickly giving up with a sigh. "Screw it. Let's see the basement."

Trollskull Manor:

As Werner began his display, making the illusionary flames lick at the walls, darkening the wood, an inhuman shriek echoed through the first floor, "No! Noooonononono! Not my tavern, my baby!"

The shape of a translucent half elf came from the ceiling towards the magical half-orc, dressed in a bartender's serving apron, a stab wound in his chest, the blood still staining his clothes. His short tied hair flowed almost in an unseen wave as he pleaded with Werner, "Please stop!"

"A ghost!" Fosco shouts suddenly - then he looks around, hoping nobody saw his unseemly surprise. He straightens his clothes and addresses the half-elf. Seeing no threat, he does not pull out Beauty, but tenses, prepared to if necessary. If that would even work on this being. "Ye ran this tavern? I don't think we're plannin' on burnin' it. Least, I wouldn't let him." He glares at Werner. "Don't think we're plannin' on reopenin' any time soon either. But we do own it now." He scrunches up his eyes, weighing the half-elf in his mind. "You got some kinda unfinished bis'ness or somethin'? I don't understand these things."

Garret climbs back out through the hatch into the bar room proper. "Not much down there except some more old barrels of GAAHHHH! WHAT IN THE NINE HELLS IS THAT!?!" His eyes land firmly in the spectre and he instinctually goes for his sword. Is that a ghost? Can I stab a ghost?

Hokk follows Garret up the steps, "Shame all the drinks are spoiled, could use one about now." As he is about to get out he bumps into Garret looking up, "What the Hell is... That a ghost?" His mouth agape before clenching his jaw, Hokk leaps up pulling his trusty greatsword.

Are ghosts even evil? Is Werner trying to burn down our house? Shaking his head in confusion he gets ready and jumps in to slice it with his sword.

Trollskull Manor:

Attempting to swing his blade, the spirit shifted off to the side, avoiding the blade, "How rude! I've not done anything to you!" The half-visible half-elf brought himself up to about shoulder height with Werner, the bottom half of him fading into nothing as he fiddled with the edges of his apron.

He looked to Fosco, "My name is Lif -- I used to own this place ... I was the last owner actually." Lif gently touched the stab wound on his chest, "One night a group got too rowdy and I tried to break it up ... someone's dagger found its mark and when I woke up my stores were ransacked, furniture broken, and tavern closed." His expression darkened, "Employees took all my money ... and anything light enough to lift!" The air around the ghost started to get colder until he sighed, "Then some portly old man started hanging around here, and now there's you lot ... I just want to see this place be useful again ... I miss hearing the bards sing and the traveling tales of adventurers ..."

"No! Put those weapons away!" Exclaimed Sera, looking at his overexcited companions. "Your employees sound like real jackesses! Now, it seems like we'll have a reason to reopen this place. Maybe then you'll be able to find peace!" She continues, having turned to the ghost. "How long ago did it happen? Do you know? Is it hard to keep track of time like this? Do my questions actually matter?"

As Hokk misses and the ghost starts to speak, Hokk pauses on a second strike. i guess they're not all evil after all huh. standing back up, not yet putting his sword away, "I'm uh sorry about that." As he innocently smiles scratching the back of his head. "See I.. uh haven't seen a ghost before, I thought you were going to hurt my friends."

Fosco listened to Lif's speech warily. "So...do ya want us to reopen yer tavern, or just to make it useful in any way? We're no innkeepers but we might find another use. Why should we put in the work anyway - just to make some ghost 'appy?"" The man's story tugged a bit at Fosco's heartstrings, but he couldn't just show that outright by saying he wanted to help. No, that would be far too honest and open.

As Garret decides the danger factor is not terribly high, he removes his hand from the hilt of his weapon. A ghost may actually be a pretty good gimmick for a tavern. "Lif, is it? That's quite the sad story and you have my condolences. BUT, I think we would like to reopen this place, and if you would like to be a part of that we're happy to have you." Garret walks up to the ghost and tries to touch his form. "Sorry, just curious."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back