Waterdeep Dragon Heist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trollskull Manor:

Lif seemed to focus, almost so intently he went transparent before returning to a fuller appearance, "Unfortunately I seem to come and go ... I took what I thought would just be a nap once and apparently missed a whole season -- missed some of my favorite festivals!" The half-elf frowned, "I suppose your questions matter as much as you think the answers are worthwhile?"

The specter turned to Hokk, glad to see the weapon not swinging again, "Other ghosts might, if they lose themselves enough but," he went to pat a weak support beam, hand phasing through it, "... this place keeps me pretty focused." At Garret's poke he slowly turned his gaze towards the halfling and stared at him in a "do you mind" fashion.

Dusting off his immaterial shoulders Lif replied, "I'd love to see this place be bustling again -- and yes a tavern is a lot of work, but it's ... it's truly a joy to become the second home for many people, the hub of the neighborhood, where loves are made and lost, stories are shared and stretched..." the ghost gave a loving sigh, "They're also good money if you're popular enough and know the right people for supplies." The deceased half-elf studied the group before him, "I'm of course willing to help -- I think you lot are going to need all the help you can get."

Fosco nodded sagely, an odd look for him. "Well I s'pose we'd best look around the place some more. We'll have ta find out just how much work it needs if we do want to reopen." He gestures goodbye at Lif and heads for the stairs.

Garret shakes off the absurdity of the situation and smiles at the ghost. "Well, Lif, glad to have you on board then." He looks up the ceiling. "It looked like this place had a second story from outside- the stairs must be out there as well." Seeing Fosco headed for the door, Garret tags along behind.

Seeing literally almost taking their leave, Sera decides it's high time she met up with this Emerald Enclave that contacted her. She shrugs and heads towards the door. "Bye, Lif! I hope we'll be able to reopen this place sometime soon." She says to the ghost right before going through the doorway. She heads for the Southern Ward, to Phaulkonmere.

Hokk follows along with Fosco and Garret, "Figure I'll come along too, maybe some good ale upstairs. And doesn't seem like Lif will mess anything up here." Whispering, "and he kinda creeps me out to be honest."

Seeing that everyone appears to be leaving, Wrecker looks to the ghost. "It was nice to meet you. We should sit and talk numbers on a tavern soon, but for now the second level awaits."

Trollskull Manor:

The ghostly man watched as a few people left and the rest headed outside, calling out: "Oh yes -- second floor stairs are outside! Just around the corner." His smile flickered for a moment at Hokk's comment, however once the group got up to the second floor, the specter was already waiting, hands clasped behind his back as he hovered.

"So I figure, if you guys are serious about renovating, I can help breakdown what needs to be repaired and," a transparent coin appeared in his hands, "the unfortunate taxes you'll need to pay as well. But! Some of the businesses I used to rely on for this place I ... think are still around, help find you trustworthy people to hire on for repairs at least." Lif coughed into his hand, the coin disappearing, "I hope you'll forgive me if I'm perhaps not keen to deal with any employees you have directly."

Phaulkonmere:

Dipping through alleys, skipping across streets and cutting into crowds, Sera finally lands at the Phaulkonmere -- a compound owned by some noble families, and that was about as far as the young woman's interests had gone in the past. Standing on the street she can easily see the noble villa, buildings covered in vines and a large ornate garden enclosed behind high moss and vine covered walls. Well, nearly enclosed -- the gate appeared to have been left open.

Entering into the grounds, faint sounds lead her towards a gardener, what looks to be a male half-elf, covered in dirt, faint scratches from thorns of various plants, and hair tied back to keep it out of the way.

Pausing for a moment he turned and squinted up at her, "Are you Sera?" Without waiting for a reply he continued, "I'm Melannor Fellbranch, groundskeeper for the Phaulkons -- guessin' if you're here you're interested?"

The Naga's Quill:

Working his way across Waterdeep and searching for an appropriate looking shop, the half-orc eventually finds himself standing outside a single storey half-timbered building, with a tiled mosaic floor with a collection of adventurer's maps hangs from the walls. Entering inside, the smell of papers and inks hits Werner's nose immediately, with such things on offer, separated by quality and price, with a cabinet behind the counter, glass paned and locked, his knowing eye informing him those are likely spell scrolls with how ornate they look.

Behind the counter rested a short male half-elf, burn marks covering half his face as he sits on a stool reading in the lull of the morning. He glances up for a moment, calling out, "Welcome to the Naga's Quill -- if you need anything in bulk let me know, otherwise prices are as listed, I don't tend to haggle before you get too carried away."

"Yes I am is my answer to both your questions!" Answers Sera with a smile, then she continues with excitement. "I really liked the cat you sent me but it ran away so quickly! Do you folks have more cats like that?" She thinks for a moment before adding "I have more pressing questions too but I find this more important!" She embellishes the last part of her sentence in a comical way by stomping her foot on the ground.

Hokk gets up the stairs Yes, should be nice to explore without this ghost around, he creeps me out. If he's dead he should move on, not haunt the mortals. As he crests the top step and sees Lif floating there he shakes his head a little.

Hokk begins looking around on the second floor, looking for any treasures or traps to mention before they asses a full renovation. "I'm not used to uh seeing ghosts, sorry for being weirded out. But if you want to help I'm sure it would greatly benefit us." Pausing to look around and away from Lif as he is not yet adjusted to befriending a ghost, "If you think the people we need to help us are still alive, if you don't mind me asking, how long ago did you become a ghost?"

Trollskull Manor:

The second floor appears to much the same as the first -- however furniture up here looks like at one point it was meant for comfort and relaxation before rodents, moths, and time got their hands on it. Lif scratched his head hesitantly, "Ah ... I can't blame ya, I am a ghost and I'm still not used to seeing them either. Some can be real jerks and some even attack other spirits, vicious buggers."

Thinking for a moment, "Well, some of them were dwarves or elves and the like -- those buggers have a bit longer lifespan usually. Or maybe their kids carried on the business you know?" He picked idly at his apron, "I mentioned before ... hard to track time these days. I don't know how long it was between my death and," Lif gestured to himself. "However all this wood rot and such doesn't just happen overnight you know? And I suppose few want to deal with a rundown tavern where someone died ... I don't know ... maybe ... a hundred years ago? That sounds too long..." the ghost kept muttering to himself as he hovered in a small circle around the common room.

Phaulkonmere:

Shifting his seating position by the plants the half-elf watched with interest at Sera's actions, "...uhuh. The cat was onna the many strays around here, I borrowed it for the message." As if on cue one climbed on top of the wall, cleaning itself in the sunlight, the half-elf nodded in its direction, "If you really want one, doubt it'd be hard to catch one."

Sera's eyes go wide with an overexcited "Really?" Before she goes on to terrorize the poor cat who doesn't at all seem to like the idea. After a few minutes of trying, she returns to the half-elf. "That didn't really go well..." She says sadly. "Anyway, I'm here for joining up, aren't I? What does the Enclave ask of its members? And perhaps, what does it offer? I myself have some healing magic, but my gifts seem to be better suited for fighting. I'm really not sure what to think of having these exact spells, but I'd like to think it's part of some sort of a plan..." She continues, the last part of her sentence seeming to trail off somewhere into the distance.

Fosco is not entirely surprised to see Lif following them. He listens to the conversation passively and examines the wood on hearing it mentioned. "Can't tell much from this. It ain't my specialty. But I bet somebody around would know when the place stopped. If we really need ta know."

He turns back to Lif and goes on. "Yes, do tell whatever finanshuls you can, plus those names." Fosco was a little surprised to hear himself being so civil—but, then again, trustworthy workers were hard to find.

Garret looks around the second floor entry room and at the doorways that lead beyond. More cobwebs, more rotting wood. I don't know what I expected. Looks like some kind of living area. He begins wandering from room to room, looking into the corners and crevices. There must be something here. After some time, he finds himself at the bottom of the stairs leading to yet another floor. His shoulder sag a bit but quickly regain their composure. Oh well, nothing it is. "Even if it needs some work, I still think it's a nice space, eh mates?" He looks up the stairs to the next level. "There's another floor here. Keep going?" He hesitates a moment. "Lif? You would warn us if there was anything dangerous in this place, right?"

Hokk appreciates what Lif has to say, "Yeah, we can look for your friends once and if we can start rebuilding this place. Hopefully there's enough left here we don't need to almost reconstruct the place." He begins to look around and wanders into the Den.

Not seeing much special he begins to ascend to the 3rd floor, "eh I'm sure we would've found it already if there was something that bad, plus we have Werner to convince anything else to come out if we need to, but best be safe." as he pulls out his greatsword and continues to ascend the stairs.

Trollskull Manor:

Lif nodded to Garret, "Oh of course -- honestly the most dangerous might be a rat or two and potentially the woodrot. Make the floor fall out right from under ya." He smiled before remembering falling was an actual risk for them. "Hm ... some of the names ... one place was the Bent Nail, where I got some of my furniture when a loud group would break chairs. Steam and Steel was a good source for any metals I needed -- they had small artistic mugs they'd make sometimes with metal scraps. Sold some of them on the side for 'em ... split the cost, got a lot of tourists through the city you know? I guess some traveled enough on purpose they wanted souvenirs?"

The ghostly half-elf floated in a circle, "If you want to sell ale that can't move on its own, gonna need to speak with the brewer's guild ... if you want to get accepted as a tavern, you'll need to join the Fellowship of Innkeepers ... if you want to serve food, the Guild of Butchers is worth having contacts with ..." counting off his fingers he continued, naming resources and guilds, along with various taxes to each. "I know it sounds like a lot, but once you get things rolling, you barely notice it anymore."

Moving up to the third floor, this seemed more like a house than the top of a tavern, what little was left here seemed higher quality and less disturbed. Lif floated towards a room, phasing through the wall, then peeked back through, "This is where even now I tend to stay ... used to be where I'd live. The floor below I offered for employees to use as they liked, some of them had nowhere to go, and I thought my kindness would be rewarded." He glared for a moment off into space as he muttered, "... and it definitely was."

Phaulkonmere:

The gardener watched Sera as she went, taking a break to watch the strange woman run around the garden chasing a poor stray. "Glad to see ya burned up some spare energy at least. We ask ya aid in preserving balance within this messy city, specifically when it affects nature, what little is allowed to flourish between the bricks and cobblestones."

A voice in the wind seemed to flow around the pair, soft and delicate, "A new potential I see ... Melannor, please introduce us..."

Sitting up straighter the half-elf coughed, "Ah, right. Sera, meet Jeryth Phaulkon, Lady of Phaulkon Estate, and Chosen of Mielikki." A breeze rippled around the pair of them as the voice spoke once more:

"All things have a purpose, young one ... I too was unsure of my path when I was young, but now ..." the flowers around them suddenly bloomed vibrantly, "Now I find comfort in my knowledge ... We offer a family, guidance, and purpose ... our help can be requested and answered ... and we offer gifts." From above a small brooch floated down into Sera's hand, "A Charm of Restoration. Even if you decide not to join us ... please take this as a token, I merely ask if you see nature struggling ... aid it as you can."

The Naga's Quill:

Turning one last page before placing a book mark, the man nodded, "Very well -- if you prepare your fifty gold, I can get your materials." He gestured towards the locked cabinet behind him, "If you're of a magical nature, perhaps I can inform you on the scrolls I have on offer for later: Beast Sense, Dissonant Whispers, Fog Cloud, Jump, Levitate, Maze, Nondetection, Poison Spray, See Invisibility and Sending -- a very popular spell for many people." He bowed his head slightly, "By the way, my name is Angrorn, at your service," his hair fell forward, covering the burns but as he stood he pushed it back behind his ear again. "Feel free to look around the shop if you need any components as well, we have most conventional things."

Fosco listens to Lif's list, trying to appear absent but making careful mental notes of each detail. After the ghost stops he cuts in. "I notice ye still haven't given any estimate on a total cost ta get the place runnin' again. Regardless, I think we can do all these sooner or later. But I'm itchin' for more action - perhaps we can resume the finanshuls another day?"

Trollskull Manor:

Clasping his incorporeal hands together Lif, replied, "Oh! Right -- ah ... I haven't used coin in a while, and I haven't exactly watched the markets, so I'm unsure the exact price of things these days. Ultimately you'll need a professional to check things but ... The roof and water damage that followed will likely be the largest expenses. Perhaps ... around five-hundred dragons? Next would be replacing the hearth in the kitchen, maybe around a hundred dragons there. The rest would be lower cost items, but," he turned to look at the group, "dragons are rarely easy to come by ... and even still, repairs would not be done over night as it is."

With a somewhat hesitant smile he added, "I am willing to wait, I have only time left for me, but I understand if that sours this place for you ..."

Sera was awestruck for a moment from the sight of the flying brooch. "I hate to see any being suffer. Preserving the light of life is something I mostly try to do." She was lost in thought for a moment before continuing. "I gladly accept your gift. And... I think I'll join you. It seems to me you have a noble cause that I can share."

Phaulkonmere:

Leaves and flowers around the pair rustled in a soft breeze, the voice appearing once more, "I look forward to your service ..."

Melannor gave a soft clap, "Yep, alright then new recruit, I've already gotta task for ya. See if you're actually able to help us out." The half-elf pushing himself to his feet, collecting the various tools he'd been using into a basket and motioned for Sera to follow him while he moved to another area, "We've gotten word that outlying farms are being terrorized by a scarecrow come to life. It has slaughtered lifestock, chased horses, and spooked farmers."

Trimming a few errant branches off a passing shrub he continued, "No people have been killed as yet, so the City Guard is dragging its heels -- something must be done, and I think you're the one to do it." Melannor paused, "Well, you and your friends -- whatever this is, I wouldn't suggest fighting by yourself." Walking once more, "Defeat the threat and return to me with proof, then I can give you a reward on behalf of the Emerald Enclave. The more you help us, the more we can help you as well." Smiling he turned to her, "Any questions?"

"A Scarecrow? Well that sounds... scary! All right, I'll see if my friends would be up to it." Says Sera before adding "To be honest some of them can be quite money-hungry when it comes to doing anything. Is the reward for them as well?"

Fosco grimaces at the numbers Lif offers. He turns his pockets inside out hesitantly. "Well I've got 'round 15 dragons to my name. I've got more back in Neverwinter if the Lady Blackstaff can acshually follow through on helping clear my name. Until then, we're gonna need more work if we want ta go ahead with this place. And in any case I've got an opera to see." He mispronounces "opera," clearly getting used to the word. "I 'ppreciate yer coop-re-ration in spite of your...circumstances." He heads for the stairs, toward the opera.

Garret winks at Lif and gives a little smirk. "You'll not be rid of us that easy, spirit. We'll find the coin." He glances around a bit more. "This place has character, like an old ship. We do right by her and I think she'll reward us for the effort."

He then directs his attention to Fosco, following him down the stairs. "I am off to the opera as well and I suspect we head for the same vague meeting. Shall we travel together?"

Last edited:
Hokk pulls out his coin purse opening it slightly then weighing it in his hand, "eh yeah I got about 50 dragons to my name. While the two of ya are out and about I might see if I can maybe clean this place a little. Maybe find a place to empty the bad wine and sweep down. The dust is starting to get to me." Hokk rubs his eyes a little and starts to go back downstairs to asses what he can do with the time most of the party is out.

He looks for a piece of wood and some paint around if he can find one. Have to let everyone know who lives here.

Trollskull Manor:

Hokk being left to his own devices finds plenty of spare planks -- old tables and bits of chairs -- though Lif seems to wince slightly at pulling things apart like that. He guided the half-orc towards what was left of the cleaning supplies, even attempting to help move objects until he started to nearly disappear from the effort and explained he needed to rest, commenting: "This is the most ... anything I've done in so long!"

Phaulkonmere:

Checking the leaves of a few flowers, Melannor replied offhand, "Nothing says the farmers won't give you a reward themselves. We'll give some coin from the family's fund, but it'll mostly be for you to spend to help keep yourself in good condition to continue the fight." He snipped a few small branches and stems, "We're willing to let many things grow, but if it seems like it would rather just use our hospitality," he cut off another one, "we prefer to trim the hedges."

Lightsinger Theater:

Fosco and Garret head off to the Opera after dressing in their nicer clothes, perhaps feeling uncomfortable in the strange outfit, different from their typical gear. Crossing into the Castle Ward towards the evening after everything that's happened, they start to see posters on display for The Fall of Tiamat, names of actors listed along the bottom along with the composer.

Finding the theater it appears to be a very high-end establishment -- the most glass in one place likely either have ever seen, fine carpets, golden handrails to guide guests, and employees dressed almost as impeccably as the nobles in the seats. However the pair are held up at the door, informed that the Opera already began and they must wait to be allowed entry. Spending some time sitting in the lobby, the doors open and people can be seen moving towards the restrooms or even the bar to top up their drinks.

An unfamiliar person approaches Fosco and Garret, not saying anything but motioning for them to follow. If they do, they're led towards the side of the opera and into a small private box off to the side, seeing a portly older man sitting comfortably, his eyes on the stage watching workers change the scenery. Without looking up he speaks, "It's good to find those who can follow instructions, already a mark in your favor. I came here to enjoy high class singing, yet I keep thinking of how Renaer sang your praises instead."

Dusting off a bit of his velvet suit, "I represent the Harpers -- a group you may have heard of, or perhaps not. While Renaer tends to be a touch more visible in his efforts, most of us prefer to be subtle about things. I promise you we care for the city, however there is safety in being unseen, and there is a threat in being unknown."

The older human finally turns to look at the pair of them, "Are you interested? If not, you're free to enjoy the rest of the show, as a gift of a noble to those less fortunate, and we never see each other again."

The Naga's Quill:

Angrorn shrugged, "Suit yourself." Moving to the back of his shop for a few moments he returned with the materials, collecting the coin and depositing it into a pouch on his hip. "Thought I'd let you know what's on offer here since," he nodded to the materials, "I get the feeling we're going to become good friends." As Werner started to leave the half-elf waved, returning to his book, "Hope to see you again sometime."

Witnessing this garish show of wealth, Fosco mutters incessantly. "How does anyone wear these gods-damned fancy clothes? Can't get 'em dirty. Gotta be so prim and all. And these chairs! They're so...so...comfortable, I can't stand it!"

After warily following the suspiciously silent individual in the lobby, Fosco listens to the portly old man. He gradually loosens his grip on his knife inside his shirt. "Aye, I'm interested. After a couple questions are answered. One, I want ta know that I'll never be asked to commit a crime. And two, I want ta know who ye are and what position ye hold with the Harpers. I don't do business with unnamed folk."

After considering for a second, he adds one more question. "And I want ta know what the Harpers can offer me if I give my services. I'm..." He struggles internally before finishing, unsure if he really believes what he's saying. "I'm no altruist."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back