Waterdeep Dragon Heist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackstaff Tower:

Making their way through Waterdeep towards the Castleward, the party finds their travel time seems to be shorter than expected, guided by Goldy as she occasionally leads them down strange alleys and sidestreets, merely expecting the others to follow where she leads.

Arriving finally, the Blackstaff Tower is quite imposing to look at, let alone consider entering it -- a twenty-foot wall surrounding, smooth black stone and no windows or doors, appearing to be three stories tall compared to the nearby structures. A singular gate appears to be the entry point however.

As the group stands before it, the same voice as before appears in Werner's mind, "Good, you've arrived. Place your left palm against the gate and it will open. I look forward to our meeting. Advice: do not wander carelessly."

Hokk follows close behind squeezing through the alleyways trying not to bump into anyone or knock anything over. guess Sera knows her way around well I better make sure to keep close or.. shit which way did they go? He checks both ways finding the group again.

Getting to the tower he hears Werner mumbling something, "are ya alright there bud? Why are you mumbling this morning? Should've had some more ale that fixes me up after a rough night."

Impressed with Werner's knowledge to open the gate he stays close making sure to follow instructions. If we can get another mission I don't want to ruin out chances at a good payday by getting lost.

Sera leads the group throughout the city, taking every shortcut she knows on the streets where she grew up. All these cuts the travel time fairly short, and they arrive at the tower quickly enough. Once they are there, she looks back to the rest. "Is everyone here?" She counts her friends, getting to five. "Wait, wasn't there six of us? I'm joking, I didn't count myself." She then answers Werner. "Not to get sidetracked? Where's the fun in that?" She says with feigned sadness in her voice.

Garret followed closely behind Sera, surprised there were still parts of the city he hadn't seen. Suddenly, the black tower stood imposingly in front of him.

Well, I didn't think I would ever be here. He glanced around at the rest of his new friends. I think I'll just follow the magic people on this one.

Blackstaff Tower:

As Werner touched the gate, the iron bars of it melted away, retreating into the wall and ground, allowing passage for the group, a section of the tower wall fell away to reveal a doorway into the structure.

Stepping in it looked far larger than it could have possibly been from outside -- windows along the interior that weren't visible from outside, and looking through them none of them matched. Some showed snow covered peaks, others a vast ocean, one a dry and desolate desert ... and then there was the sheer amount of people, each with a destination in mind, entering and exiting rooms left and right, even up and down. One such person approached the group, studying them before tilting their head. "Hm. You must be the group the Blackstaff herself wishes to meet. Follow along, you may refer to me as Alveron." They bowed, allowing their outfit to flow, letting the group see the human woman before them, a long black braid falling over her shoulders and a few scars across her face. "I was the last of the new recruits, and if I could manage to pass inspection, I imagine you lot have little to fear."

Trailing closely behind, Alveron led the group through what seemed like neverending doors, up stairs and down, through hallways back and forth, finally ending up in front of a surprisingly simple looking door. Knocking gently on the door, Alveron announced the group, a familiar voice to Werner on the other side called out, "Enter!"

Pushing open the door for the group they got to see a large office, books floating here and there, paperwork organizing and reorganizing itself, parchment and a quill seeming to hover in the air waiting patiently for any instruction while the woman behind the desk smiled at the newcomers. "Greetings to you all, I'm glad you could make time." Standing to her feet she did a small motion with her hand as a large blackened and aged staff flew into her hand. "I am Vahra Safahr, current Blackstaff and High Wizard of Waterdeep, and I wished to meet those who rescued the wayward Lord Neverember and even performed a favor for the at times unconventional Volothamp Geddarm. I know of you, but I prefer to hear how people introduce themselves all the same." She gestured again and seats slid out from underneath books and scrolls, one for each of the party, "Please be seated -- I heard the Tower had decided everyone needed to take longer routes everywhere, I expect you'd like to rest your legs a moment?"

Alveron peeked in from the doorway with a wave before letting it close, calling out one last time, "Good luck!" as the suddenly much heavier sounding door closed.

Vajra.jpg

Sera chuckled to herself at Werner not getting her sarcasm again before heading in after him. Her already large eyes seemed to get even bigger as they filled with wonder at the sights of the tower. She didn't even really notice Alveron who arrived to guide them, but fortunately she managed not to get lost. Before she knew it, they were standing in front of the Blackstaff. "Lady Blackstaff! So nice to meet you! My name is Sera, but most people I like call me Goldy. Someone once told me I am a sorcerer, a Divine Soul to be precise. All I know is I can channel the power of Lady Firehair, to some extent. I have to say I'm jealous you haven't contacted me before!" She says after bowing.

As Werner explains sending Hokk has a confused look, yeah all this magic is weird stuff, isn't it easier to just write a note. As the door opened to the tower and Hokk stepped in, "My word, I've never seen something like this." He turns to look at the door they came in but it had closed. Out of his element, Hokk stayed tucked in the group to try and figure things out before speaking or wandering around.

Upon getting to the Blackstaff office Hokk nodded in acceptance as she spoke, "it's nice to meet you lady Blackstaff, it's quite the tower you have here." Hokk followed the others in bowing and then taking a seat. He patted himself off and pushed his hair aside to try and seem more proper.

Garret enters the tower with the group, as amazed as he's ever been but determined to draw little attention to himself, lest their host realize how little reason there was for him to be there.

He listens to the Blackstaff introduce herself, does his etiquette due diligence in the bowing department, and quietly has a seat with the rest of the party.

I'm not sure if I'm moving up in the world or about to be disintegrated. This is what happens when you take work from strange wizards.

Garret puts on his best professional face, but can't help but fidget as he waits for the prominent figure to speak.

Fosco follows the group into the tower, unphased by the melting bars. He looks around in awe at the strange sights within, but hides his curiosity under his hood.

Upon the Blackstaff's invitation to introduce himself Fosco sits in one of the chairs. It's a comical sight, a 3' 7" halfling becoming even shorter in his small chair.

"Name's Fosco. I deal with shadows. Got any drink?" He makes himself at home in the chair, completely aware of his lack of manners. Seeing the looks on the others' faces, he adds "I've been called a sorcerer if ya must know."

"Name's Wrecker. Err, that's my working name." Wrecker shuffles his feet slightly, then clears his throat. "I'd prefer if you mighty, recruiting types use that one."

Blackstaff Tower:

Vahra returned each bow with a nod until all were seated and she sat once more as well, her staff hovering to her side in the air. In regards to Hokk's statement she smiled, "That's one way to describe it. There's been so much intense magic here over generations, the stones themselves are infused with it, and it has its own ... personality so to speak. In a sense it's become an ally to the current Blackstaff just as the actually staff itself." The room seemed to creak slightly as the staff continued to float. "Don't be alarmed however, as long as you're friendly you should be fine."

At Fosco's question she smiled, "The only drink on offer right now is water -- I prefer not to let alcohol or other spirits be a distraction in my work. Speaking of which: a few of you I expect have heard of the Gray Hands and ultimately Force Grey. Those of Force Grey, elite adventurers and loyal to Waterdeep, are picked from among the Gray Hands, people who work under me to help keep Waterdeep from whatever latest destruction intends to happen to it and wreak havoc. While the Open Lord ultimately commands the Force, it is my duty to help pick and train those who offer their services to Waterdeep in such a way." Pausing she shuffled a few papers, "As mentioned before I have already heard snippets and whispers of what you all did for Neverember and Volothamp -- both prominent people within Waterdeep with connections and allies themselves. I also expect a varied group such as yourselves have been spoken to by other groups as well."

Letting the words sink in for a moment, "And now I get to my point: I feel you all can become very good allies to have, and I'm willing to wait on my investments. We have ways of aiding those who work with us along with benefits over time depending on performance. However, I will not strongarm you into joining -- I understand the phrase 'you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink,' and that's not how I prefer to do things. You don't need to decide at the moment, I expect you have other tasks for the day, but think on it. I will check in with you in a few days if I don't hear back."

Garret nods along as the Blackstaff speaks, growing a little more comfortable despite the strange and unfamiliar setting. He raises his hand sheepishly. "Ma'am? I'm all for helping the city and protecting people and all that, but I have to admit to not having much of a magical bent. Is that a...problem...for what you're asking of us here?"

Hokk listens carefully and after Garret speaks he adds in, "Yes, me as well. As much as I may look like a man of magic I prefer the sword." Smirking slightly at his own joke, "but seriously, I can provide protection to this group with what I may lack in magic ability I find ways to make up for."

"I'm in." Wrecker rolls his shoulders. "These Force Gray guys make a lot of money, right? I have a need for a large amount of gold, and doing this seems to be the first step in collecting it."

"I'm in!" Says Goldy cheerfully. "I'm glad to be of service to the City, in any way I can. I have a feeling this is the right path for me to walk. And my feelings don't often lie." She then adds, after a moment of thought: "Now come to think of it, the Emerald Enclave contacted me as well. I just hope I won't be forced to stick to one. In any case, I'd be happy to come to the city's help, even if the city hasn't really come to mine so far."

Fosco nods as the Blackstaff speaks. "I'm willin' to help. But I've got some...private questions about this service, if there's time for that."

Blackstaff Tower:

After Werner's comments, the Blackstaff nodded, "Yes ... I will need to think on that. Any Mind Flayer in Waterdeep is a concern for us all, and I will spread word so we can remove it." Leaning back in her seat, she smiled at the replies of the others, "Magic is far from a requirement, merely a nice perk. As I said before, I want people who are loyal to Waterdeep and are willing to stand on the front line to defend it when called to action." Her eyes flicked towards Wrecker, "Perhaps not money directly, but we do offer resources and assets to those under our banner."

At the mention of the Emerald Enclave she shrugged, "It depends on them, our goals for the most part are aligned, however there may be times you are called to support both sides ... on opposing sides. I warn you at that time you may need to truly decide your allegiances." Watching a few items flit around the room she turned her gaze to Fosco, pulling out a piece of copper wire and pointing at the shadow sorcerer as he heard in his ear, "If you have something on your mind, I'd rather get it out of the way now if possible."

Garret collects his thoughts for a minute and addresses the official cordially, "I was born in this city and despite my choice to spend most of my time away from it, I love it and all of its quirky peoples." He smiles briefly but quickly reverts to a sterner face. "If you think I can be useful in defending it, I am happy to do so."

Hokk listening to the conversation raises a finger and begins to speak relatively confidently, "I believe in the message that you are giving, and from my time here I agree with protecting this city and it's people. However, if it were to stray from the morals that I stand by, is it allowed for someone to leave the Grey Hands? I am not from here, but I have not heard of anyone doing so."

Fosco mentally responds to the Blackstaff's message, keeping his face blank. "Fact is, I'm wanted in Neverwinter. Had some problems with the law. I ain't lookin' to escape it, I just want ta clear my name. Is there any chance the Gray Hands can help me do that?"

Blackstaff Tower:

Hearing Fosco's reply, Vajra smiled, casting another quick spell and her response was in his ear, "We can put things in motion if your intent is true." Leaning forward in her seat she nodded to the others, "I'm very glad to hear your responses." Turning to Hokk she smiled, "We are not a cult young man, it is regrettable if someone were to leave, but at times our methods are not to everyone's taste."

A stack of paperwork placed itself on her desk, causing her to sigh, "Once I unbury myself, I will speak to the rest of you and see who all will join. I'd rather not have to repeat tasks and I'd rather keep a group together as much as I can. Are there any other questions I can answer now?"

"I think you've been plenty clear enough for me." He gives a slight nod to the mage and rises from his chair. "Thank you for seeing us and for the opportunity."

Blackstaff Tower:

Giving a small motion towards the door, it opened -- the same woman as before standing outside waiting: Alveron. She bowed towards Vajra before ushering you all out of the room and guiding you back to the entrance where she bowed, "Hoping to see you all again soon!"

Leaving you all at the gate, a few of the party went to buy clothes for the opera later that night, some getting perhaps more than they bargained for, eventually all gathered back at the Yawning Portal, looking for the familiar figure of Volo. Finding him in a corner with drinks, plates, and parchment alongside, he waved at the party. "Hello again, hello! I came and set myself up, yet had no idea where all you had gone. I thought to myself, well surely, the best thing to do is stay in one place, right? And so I did, and so here you all are." The older mage smiled at the group, "Are you ready to handle the title transfer? Or ... did you have something else in mind?"

As the group walks into the Yawning Portal once again, the hustle and bustle seems as if nothing has changed since last entering.

Finding Volo as the group approaches, Hokk listens still slightly agitated in getting a house instead of coin, "yes, yes, I'm glad we found you here Volo. Do we have everyone we need here in order to make this a smooth transfer?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back