Waterdeep Dragon Heist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Garret hobbles around the opera house and its attendees stiffly, obviously uncomfortable but trying to fit in. I haven't worn formal clothes like this since I was a boy. Can't say I miss it. He glances around at the ornate architecture and the opulence of the wealthy, content to be a visitor and not a participant.

In the private box, Garret listens politely to the man then takes a few seconds to chew on the information. The Harpers? I guess they do like subtlety, I've never heard of em. "I'd say I'm in the same boat as my friend here. I won't justify 'caring' ends with evil means, but as a general rule I'm keen to help anyone who wants to help the city." He takes another moment to find the right words, squirming in his clothes a bit. "...which is something I try to do on my own anyway, so tell me the benefits of joining you lot."

Lightsinger Theater:

Listening to each one speak he nods, "Valid questions, good. I am Lord Mirt, advisor to the current Open Lord, with the Harpers I am one of the recruiters and overseers, distributing tasks to our agents. Members report to me and allow me to better guide the Open Lord on how Waterdeep truly is, instead of the flattery others would rather pass on."

Adjusting himself in his seat, turning his gaze back to the stage, "We will not ask for you to commit a crime directly, but I cannot predict the future and there may come times when what you do is considered a crime by another. Tell me lad, would you consider taking something from smugglers a crime?" Pausing, Mirt continued, "We offer resources and aid -- assuming you do your part. We can even offer discounts on certain items, or shelter if needed. If you get in over your head, we can send allies to aid you."

"Okay, yes, I think I understand. I just hope I'll be able to convince my friends to help on this one. Thank you! For everything. Which wasn't much so far, but I'm looking forward to it!" Says Sera in her usual cheery tone as she takes her leave. She then heads back towards Trollskull Manor, hoping to catch up with his friends. Will they come with me? They must be pretty tired with not getting paid at this point. Let's just hope we can work something out, maybe they'll get some jobs too, and we can all help each other out! She thinks to herself as she hurries along the shortcuts of the city.

Hokk pulls apart some wood planks from what he considers scrap and fashions a small sign. Not sure of what to put on it he just sticks a smiley face at the end. Going outside above the door he hammers it in, blissfully unaware it's rather crooked.

Going back inside Hokk resumes cleaning, nicest place I've ever been in and I plan to keep it that way.

Garret sits up ever so slightly. "You report directly to the Open Lord?" This may be a bit bigger than I first thought. A few moments pass and his posture relaxes again. "I understand what you are saying and it sounds like something I would like to be a part of. Let me know how I can be of service."

Fosco grunts in response to Lord Mirt. "I don't 'ppreciate folk who don't tell me their authority 'til after their request. I also don't 'ppreciate folk who ask questions and tell me their name later."

However, he considers the substance of Mirt's offer more thoughtfully. "I'm a simple man, Mister Sir Lord Mirt," he says just a little bit mockingly, "I don't 'ppreciate these high and rich folk. Come to think of it I don't 'ppreciate a lot of things. But I do like what you say. I will be of service to the Harpers, and to the Open Lord, in the interest of telling him things as they are. If ye have work to be done now, tell me. Otherwise, I'm 'fraid I also don't 'ppreciate these "oo-per-uh," and as grateful as I am for the free tickets, I'd just as soon be on my way."

Lightsinger Theater:

"If that's the case, then I have work for you already."
Reaching into his velvet suit he pulled out two silver pins displaying a harp within a cresent moon. "This is our signet -- proof you are with us. Now, one of the drays working in the city is pulled by a talking mare named Maxeene. Locate her, find out if she's learned the identity of any Zhent operatives, and if so, determine their whereabouts."

Mirt looked expectantly at the pair, "I daresay you could attempt this mission right away, and while you're still dressed so nicely. If you require me for any reason, you can find my Manor in the Sea Ward, however for giving mission reports," he snapped his fingers, the silent figure from before handing each of them a piece of paper, "You will use these Paper Birds to send results to me. I assume both of you can write, or at least one of you."

The crowd for the opera started to return to their seats while his gaze returned to the stage, "Are there any further questions."

Hokk finished sweeping up, turning around seeing Lif gone and not being able to find Wrecker he yelled, "I'm off to pray, if, uhh.. anyone's here." Not sure where he was headed he started off and asked around a couple of questions. He managed to find out he needed to go to the House of Heroes in the Sea Ward. Definitely not going the most direct route, he managed to find himself at the bottom of the steps.

Feeling relieved he bowed his head and ascended the stairs. Eager of what would be before him on the other side, he swung open the doors.

Fosco glares at Mirt on the implication of not being able to write. "I am not some illit'rate leatherfoot. I said I'm a simple man, not a dullard."

He takes the Paper Bird and Harper's signet pin, putting both inside his coat pocket. "No further questions." I'll show 'im who's illit'rate, the damn plutocrat. He scowls at the silent assistant on the way out, making a note to remember his face.

Garret takes the pin and paper bird slowly with a furrowed brow. He glances at Fosco and then back to Mirt. I've heard a few sailors' jokes about a talking horse... and the occasional wizard having a... beastly... conversation... but... oh gods. He's serious. Garret lightly sighs while nodding at the rotund man. Sea life is so much simpler. "Find the horse, interrogate the horse, let you know what the horse said using the magical paper. Got it."

His eyes wander to the stage and his mouth moves silently, processing the unusual task. He looks at Mirt again. "It's a rather large city with its fair share of horses. Any advice where to start?"

Trollskull Manor:

While Werner worked on copying spells, every so often out of the corner of his eye he'd notice what's quickly becoming a familiar sight -- the half-visible shape of a half-elf lurking around him, as if trying to observe and figure out what the half-orc is doing, but not be obvious about it at the same time.

Lightsinger Theater:

Lord Mirt sighed at Garret's question, "Waterdeep is large, but few areas are serviced by drays due to their size. That should help narrow your search, the rest of the information you have: the horse is a mare and goes by the name Maxeene. I expect much from you and your friend, hopefully I shall not have to send others on the same task."

House of Heroes:

Finding himself at one of the largest structures in Waterdeep, every step echoes into the chamber, statues of Tempus lining the hall overseeing those who enter. A few priests and clerics wander, notably armed compared to most clerics Hokk might be used to seeing. Some of them watch the half-orc wander through before one eventually steps up to him, a human woman with cropped gray hair and hazel eyes.

Bowing her head slightly, the armor under her robes clicked slightly, "Greetings -- I am Priestess Arran. Do you need any help, or shall I leave you to your prayers?"

Hokk is mesmerized by the beauty of the temple he mutters under his breath, "this is the nicest building I've ever seen." Seeing the priestess approach he bows back.

Clearing his throat before he speaks, "Nice to meet you Priestess, I'm Hokk. I could actually use your help, I'm more of an informal member but wanted to take a more active role with Tempus. Im not cut out for the cleric or priest way, but are there any other options for me to help? I've been more on the martial side of things." As Hokk finishes speaking he smiles and pulls up his sleeves to present several tattoos he got for each fighting pit he's partaken in.

Arriving at the manor, Goldy takes note of the new sign. Whoever put it there surely meant well, but it's so creepy! The only thing missing is the text saying 'Free Candy'.

Once she sets foot inside the house proper, Sera's eyes light up in a present sense of surprise. "Hey, I'm back!" She announces her presence loudly. "Who cleaned this place up? It's a miracle! Oops! Sorry Werner didn't see you there!" She adds the last sentence in a whisper.

House of Heroes:

Arran looked over Hok, smiling faintly at his tattoos before replying, "Those who actively worship and aid Tempus do so on the field of battle. What you ask for sounds like offering to enlist with the militia or local army."

Hokk looked at the ground with slight disappointment, "I might have answered my own question with this, but I don't believe I seek to fight for an army. I have fought with and against many who have told me leaders have gone mad with power, their ideals corrupted."

Hokk pauses, "the group I am with seems to best align with my views now. I suppose I should make an offering to Tempus, if you can show me the right direction, and hope he guides my blade."

Garret frowns briefly but quickly it is gone. "You won't need anyone else. We're on it." He looks around to notice that Fosco has already gone. "Like my friend, I think I'll skip the rest of the show. Thank you for giving us this opportunity." He makes a quick half-bow to the large man and heads for the exit. How hard can it be to find a talking horse?

House of Heroes:

The cleric nodded while the half-orc spoke, "Understandable though unfortunate all the same." Spreading her hands she gestured to what looked like a small pyre and a banner of Tempus set up at the end of the room. "A fire for those lost to war, both warriors and innocents. You're free to stay as long as you like, I hope he answers you well."

Streets of Waterdeep:

Halfling and halfling wandered the streets back and forth, looking for the large carriage structures and attempting to casually walk next to the horses and mutter, "Maxeene?" attempting to note a reaction.

Almost ready to give up, they try one last dray, Fosco walking up to the parked carriage and tiredly mutters, "Maxeene?" one last time, only for the horse to tilt its head his direction, ears flicking in what looks to be surprise. The mare throws her head slightly in a nod then attempts to study the pair who swear they hear a soft, "Who?" come from the horses' muzzle.

Hokk nods his head and sets off towards the pure, "Thank you, may your prayers be answered as well." Setting his items down Hokk kneels by the fire, praying for those lost and good fortune in his future endeavors.

After what felt like seconds, but was the better part of an hour Hokk stands finishing his silence, "May you always guide my blade." Hokk unless interrupted makes his way through the Temple, back along the same route through the city until he happened upon the Manor. Entering he finds Werner hard at work, Goldy fidgety as ever, and Wrecker conducting his errands.

Fosco is inwardly relieved that he will not have to spend another day searching. Outwardly, he instead appears energized by the abrupt success. He mutters sideways to the horse, continuing to walk along so as not to draw too much attention.

"You're Maxeene then? We've been looking for ye for hours. Names Fosco Kincade, and my companion is Garrett Goodbarrel. We're working for the Harpers. We was told to ask you for any info you have on Zhentarim, uh, oo-pur-ah-tives." It does not occur to Fosco that "opera" and "operatives" might be totally unrelated words.

Streets of Waterdeep:

The mare nodded, seeming to study the pair. Turning its head around it looked at its driver before turning off to the side of the street. The driver sat back in his seat, placing his hat over his face for a small nap as the mare looked back at you both and mumbles softly, "Yes -- gave ride to sun elf and half-orc, bodyguard, two days ago. Picked up at intersection, dropped at Yawning Portal. Discussed hiring spies, root out Xanathar Guild hideouts in city. Half-orc woman, large, strong, heavy. Sun-elf male, thin, light, blonde."

Fosco nods. "I think we've met the half-orc. Dunno the sun elf. But these are folk workin' against the Xanathars? Are they workin' for the Zhent?"

Garret stares at the horse as it talks, still a little in awe of the whole situation. "Did you happen to catch the name of the elf? Or anything specific about his plans?"

Streets of Waterdeep:

The mare stomped a hoof on the cobblestones, words spilling from her muzzle again, "Don't know -- no names. Can only hear so much from riders. Tried my best. Doubt people in Xanathar would spy inside Xanathar? Don't know, just a mare."

Garret looks over at Fosco, his lips pursed in an unhappy expression. "It's not much to go on. Maybe we pay another visit to the Yawning Portal and see if anyone there knows the elf?" He looks back at the horse and opens his mouth as if to speak, but hesitates. He then continues, "Thank you for your help."

After what seemed like days of milling about with nothing to do, Goldy snapped back to reality as Werner adressed her. "Me? I guess I'm fine! I visited the Emerald Enclave and they had cats! Did I mention I liked cats? They didn't seem to like me, though..." She trails off for a moment but then continues. "Anyway, they gave me a mission! They told me a scary scarecrow is terrorizing the countryside, and that I should bring friends."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back