Advice/Help Wanting advice on groups

Comicwolf

Searching for writing partners
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Hey there,

so i been trying to get two groups going, one hasnt started and the other we lost few people.

my request is i want to know whats a good way to recruit? Ive tried bumping and tagging them in the cs page or pm to see if they would like to join but not much luck.

should i just make a recruitment poster?
Please Advise Paramount Network GIF by Yellowstone

So you didn't make an interest check yet?
I have intrest checks for both but they sometimes dont get intrest
The second hasnt gotten any intrest after rebooting it

To put where? Do you think it would be more visible than an interest check?
Probably, on the gallery or even just as a signature
The second hasnt gotten any intrest only one person.
The first has five people, but we need more rpers to join in as staff or so

Probably, on the gallery or even just as a signature
The second hasnt gotten any intrest only one person.
The first has five people, but we need more rpers to join in as staff or so

Can you link those interest checks? Maybe I'll be able to give some feedback.

Can you link those interest checks? Maybe I'll be able to give some feedback.

Well, the first thing that stands out to me is that there isn't really any flair to the introduction. I'm not someone who enjoys those kinds of RPS to begin with, but hypothetically saying this was a thread on a topic I am interested in or if I did enjoy those topics, then came into this thread, there's nothing there to get one interested in this RP aside from the characters you may get to play. The introductions do nothing to draw you in, and there's nothing that is trying to in any way be unique or exciting in those descriptions.

This adds to the second problem, because that small, plain introduction makes it so the rules, lists and such end up kind of piled in a way that looks cluttered.

The third problem general to the two of them, is that both allow cannon characters. Do note this is by no means saying you can't make roleplays with cannon characters and be successful, but that it should be understood that even among the fandom communities there are many who have an aversion to cannon characters. Those who don't are more frequently found in 1x1s, so the presence of cannon characters will have a negative impact that is more pronounced in groups than in 1x1s.

I feel the rules could use some cleaning up, rewording, perhaps a condensation. People don't like having a lot of rules, especially when the rules feel so disorganized it can be almost confusing, not to mention rules like "no coding" and "no weird crushes" which can come off as more trying to impose a preference than something for the RP's well-being.

OH LORD I didn't even notice this, but those threads you linked are really old. I think that might actually be the biggest issue here.
When you follow the links to those checks (as in the links in the checks themselves) you see a thread with 31 pages of content and the other thread is a reboot. Both can be intimidating to people, as from my experience generally speaking nobody likes to get into something that is that far in. Getting lost, missing out on in-jokes, feeling like an outsider or even being treated like one if cliques have formed, these are things people fear even if they don't end up experiencing them (and form what I can tell, they often do experience those things when they try). This to not even mention that (while this is more speculation than experience) people tend to assume a thread that old has to be dead.

So, uhm... My solutions would start like this:
1. Make a new interest check for each RP you intend to run.
2. Make sure there is an intro that is trying to draw people in. Don't assume people will come in wanting to play whatever it is you're proposing, assume you have to show them what the strengths of the concept you're trying to bring to life are. What's awesome, cool, intriguing about it? More importantly, how do they, the players, get to themselves be in the spotlight, what do they gain?
3. Try to simplify the rules and organize them better.

That's what I think can be solved. Allowing cannon characters is always going to take a bite out of the interest, but just because a certain kind of RP isn't as popular that doesn't mean one doesn't have the right to try it, nor that one is in the wrong for enjoying that thing even if can turn other people off. What I'm trying to say is that while this is a problem that can be fixed, if it was it wouldn't be the roleplay you seem to want to make, so the loss here is just something you're going to have to accept.

As for the RP having a ton of pages in already or being a reboot.... That's an issue that I again don't think you can really fix, because once more the solution wouldn't be one that would allow what you seem to want to make, but it would be to make a new RP from scratch. So given the solution can't be used, I don't see how to avoid that loss there.

Still, I think those three steps I presented earlier may give you at least some interest. I wouldn't bet on a ton of it, but some at least.

[no coding" and "no weird crushes" ] that is because some of the rpers like myself are on mobile and coding is sometimes difficult to read or scroll through.

The crush issue on batfam is cause someone paired barbra gorden and bruce wayne in the past and i wanted to prevent that happening agian.

Lots of codes look fine on mobile! You could change the rule to only using mobile-friendly codes.

I don't think the "no weird crushes" has to be a rule. If a pairing makes you uncomfortable, you should be able to reach out and say that, but making it a rule feels very constricting. This along with the "no codes" would probably immediately put me off.

Group rps are, in general, very hard to find people for, unless you have a very original idea or are hitting a specific and popular niche interest. Something that I do to encourage that is trying to find other likeminded people and building relationships, so they would want to join any threads you make.

Lots of codes look fine on mobile! You could change the rule to only using mobile-friendly codes.

I don't think the "no weird crushes" has to be a rule. If a pairing makes you uncomfortable, you should be able to reach out and say that, but making it a rule feels very constricting. This along with the "no codes" would probably immediately put me off.

Group rps are, in general, very hard to find people for, unless you have a very original idea or are hitting a specific and popular niche interest. Something that I do to encourage that is trying to find other likeminded people and building relationships, so they would want to join any threads you make.
I can try that

im trying to fix up my main thread but the code is glitching

my main plan if i need to rework the rules and make another thread would probably have to be later at night or another day during the week

I havent made another thread yet for the one dying group but i think i need a gm for the bat group to help me plan out a main plot

then we would get few canon roles filled before adding in ocs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back