• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Multiple Settings Void Lights

Characters
Here

druidquest

魔法少女
The fields around the great black spire resembled a storm cloud in the chaos of the battle. Smoke choked the air from the fire, bright lights flashing in the smog from cannonfire and spellwork. Soldiers clashed on open ground, the once vibrant meadow of flowers stomped into mud by boot and claw as the alliance of free races crashed against the humans and mechanical puppet knights of the empire. The air was filled with all manner of beasts and puppet gliders, swarming like angry hornets over the heads of their allies.

Inside the Oblivion Needle itself a very different battle was occurring as the champions of the alliance climbed their way up toward the apex of the tower, the war outside rendered nearly inaudible by the Needle’s glassy black walls. Things were not silent here by any means, however; the mad emperor Constantine had filled their path with his most trusted servants and deadliest automatons, some they had faced before, others never before seen.

None of the adversaries which stood against them could hold them back, however, and so they climbed, ever higher, ever skyward, leaving the mortal earth behind and ascending far, far, far above the clouds until they stood amongst the stars themselves. Upward and upward and upward they climbed, until finally at the top they found him.

Their unifying enemy. The mad emperor, who’s machinations had brought them all together and seen them travel to the furthest ends of the world.

The master of men himself, Victor Constantine.

He turned their way only briefly as they broke their way into the highest sanctum, far too occupied with the work of unraveling the Needle’s secrets to face them directly.

“Good morning,” he greeted amicably. “Or is it evening now? I don’t really have a clock here you see, and-”

He was cut off by an arrow striking the pedestal he leaned over, missing him only by a tilt of his head.

“You know,” he sighed, disappointed. “You really- you really shouldn’t interrupt people while they’re talking. It’s very rude.”

He turned to face them, one hand on the pedestal for balance, and his other hand flew up as the heroes began to charge him.

“Come- come on now. You can’t give an old man the benefit of his last words before killing him? Honestly, this just feels like a formality at this point, right? Assuming you won’t just- just let me surrender? It’s not like I’m a threat to any of you. Look- look at me.”

He gestured to himself, a small, self-deprecating smile on his lips.

“Are- will- will you give me just a moment, perhaps, to greet you all, and soak in this, this…” Constantine twirled his hand limply through the air, searching for words. A few of the heroes stepped toward him, and he let his hand drop.

“No, I suppose not. A pity, really. This is such an- an important… moment, for all of us.” He spread his arms wide toward all those gathered in the sanctum. “You, the noble champions come to represent the world at this… pivotal moment, and me, the- the-”

Constantine’s words trailed off as he did a triple take, hand coming back down to rest on the pedestal. “General Laskaris? What an… odd reunion this is. You’re- you’re with them? I would’ve thought you’d have stabbed them in the back already, but that’s- I suppose that’s just old experience proving my bias. What won you over here? It can’t have been the pay, I-” He turned to look at the other heroes in attendance. “I paid her quite a lot, you know. She really was my- my shining star, before- before- well, I’m sure she’s already shared the… gritty details, since you all seem such good- good friends.”

“Still, I suppose it was for the best. Just- just proved old theories correct, I suppose. Humans really can’t trust anyone but ourselves, isn’t that right, your Majesty? Oh, don’t look at me like that, it’s- it’s so disappointing. Really, you should- you should be over here, on my side, not with these- these- “

“Look- look what you’ve aligned yourself with. Monsters? Animals? This can’t- this can’t be what’s best for your people. For- for our people. Humans should stand with each other, not- not fight each other. Do you really think- when- when this is over, do you really think these other- other… races will grant you any kind of favor? Predators aren’t- predators aren’t kind to prey, dear.”

“Because that’s- that’s what we are to them. Prey. I mean, come now, they can barely get along with each other. I mean, really, if it weren’t- if it weren’t for me, when- when you think about it, most of you would still be… hiding away, or- or trying to kill each other. I mean, not to toot my own horn, but-”

“Well, me and- and-” Constantine’s mouth gaped like a fish for a moment. “I’m sorry dear, I never caught your name. Arna, was it? Really, I’m- I’m very impressed with what you’ve done here, gathering so many… stalwart allies like this, despite- despite not really being Princess of anything, no- no offense of course. No need to rub salt in- in the wound here, right? I suppose that was… ‘my bad’, in a way. Or- or most ways-”

Constantine ducked left as a curved sword sliced through the air, rebounding off the pedestal. “Oops! I suppose that’s it, then, and just- just in time, too.”

The pedestal lit up as he spoke, energy radiating off it and trailing across the floor. The hand Constantine had been resting upon it glowed nearly as bright as the stars above and below them all, concentric rivers of light running up his arm and across half his face.

“I really- I really must thank you all for letting me talk so long,” he continued, deflecting blow after blow with his empowered arm as the heroes rushed him one after another. “You know, in all my 93 years of being alive nothing quite compares to the understanding of just- how- little- people will respect an old man.”

Black tendrils wrapped themselves around his legs and torso, seeking to restrain him, yet with a snap of his fingers they were all blasted away, sending their conjurer hurting across the floor. Another sought to land an unexpected blow by rising out of his shadow, only for a wave of the emperor’s hand to send the would-be assassin falling from the sky.

“What did you all really expect here? That your little band of misfit lords could go on a grand adventure to save the world? That companionship and strength won through trial would see you through in the end? Are you all fucking children?”

Constantine lashed out with energy, knocking them all away from him.

“Your strength is meaningless. Your allies are meaningless. I am the summit of humankind. To purge the world clean and make it a haven for my people is my calling and my right. I have not committed sins beyond counting,faced enemies beyond your feeble imagining just to be cut down by a little orphan beast and her cadre of demons!”

Constantine thrust his arm skyward, energy blasting out into the space between the stars. “HEARKEN!! I HAVE ASCENDED THE SUMMIT, AND LAID CLAIM TO THE POWER OF GODS!! SEE NOW THE ARMIES OF MY RECKONING, THE GLORIOUS CLEANSING OF A WORLD LONG LEFT TO ROT!! I AM THE EMPEROR OF MAN!! I AM THE LORD OF ALL LANDS!! I!! AM!! CONSTANTINE!!!!”

The energy from Constantine’s hand carved through the space over the Oblivion Needle, blinding and violent, the divine, impossible CRACK of its fissure bringing silence and stillness to the battle waging far below. Like a great eye it opened, gazing down on the top of the tower, and Constantine gazed back.

He gazed long, and he gazed silently.

Until his lips moved again, nearly imperceptible yet echoing across the sanctum.

“What… is that?”

A world. A world unlike any part of the world they knew. Great spires of glass rose from streets of grey stone cut by rivers of black, sailed by metal carriages with nothing to pull them. Crowds, dense crowds with more people then had ever existed in a single city walked through the streets, ignorant to those viewing them from above, and each one, every single face in every crowd on every corner, had one thing in common.

“...Humans? They’re all… humans? An entire world…”

The corner of Constantine’s mouth twitched, just once, and for a moment all remained still.

Until a wide, mad grin carved across the emperor’s face, and he began to laugh. Louder, more exuberantly than he ever had.

“Of course! Of course!!” He shouted his epiphany to the gaze above, his eyes wide and seeming blind to everything else around him.

The heroes saw a chance, and they took it. As one they stood, and as one they launched their assault, knowing that this moment, this one fleeting moment, might be the only one they ever get.

If only they’d truly gotten that one as well.

Constantine’s arm swung out to the side, catching every one of his assailants, all fifteen of the champions who had stood against him and freezing them in place.

“Oh, sweet, beautiful invention,” Constantine purred as the heroes began to lift off the ground, one by one. “Let it never be said nothing was achieved without sacrifice.”

Constantine raised his arm up, bringing his hand in line with the fissure. Deaf to the struggles of his captives, he let out a sweet, blissful sigh, and one by one sent them hurtling into that great eye until fourteen were gone.

Like comets burning through the night sky, like small pinpricks of light sailing through the void, the heroes left their world behind, falling, falling, falling down to a vast new world below.[/i][/i]

Last edited:
Mina leaned back on the back legs of her chair, strawberry frappuccino sitting half-forgotten on the patio table in front of her. She gestured vaguely with her hands as she spoke, in the way people did without realizing as if the motions somehow aided in the act of speech. Her hair spilled over the back of her chair despite the ends caught between it and her back, and one of her feet rested against the leg of the table, pushing on it slightly to rock her chair gently back and forth.

“Like what was she really expecting with that, you know?”

“Uh…”

“Like everyone already knew what was going on with her and Mackenzie and then she suddenly shows up after spring break with her hair dyed flamingo pink and she just expects no one to realize what happened?”

“Ah…”

It’s like who does she really think she’s fooling, you know?”

“Uhuh…”

“And you know they think they’re gonna be slick about it, acting like no one realizes. God, they’re so obnoxious, right? Like they’re so in-your-face about it, right?!”

“Um.” Mina’s increasingly reluctant conversation partner cleared his throat, raising one hand. “Mina, I uh. I mean, I’m really flattered you accepted my confession, and I’m happy you invited me out so quickly… Like, immediately…”

“Nn-hn. What about it?” Mina took a sip of her frappuccino, having recalled its presence in the brief gap where she wasn’t talking. It wasn’t really cold anymore, and the bottom of the cup seemed to just be strawberry juice at this point, but she didn’t seem to care.

The boy, Martin, cleared his throat again, seeming to wither under her gaze. “I mean, uh. I- I can’t help but wonder if you’re really just going to, um. Just uh… talk about them the whole time…?”

“Nn-hn,” Mina answered, with zero hesitation. She set her dissolved beverage back on the table. “You said you were interested in me, yeah? So you’re interested in what I have to say about stuff, yeah?”

Martin hesitated, his eyes dropping to the surface of the table beneath Mina’s sudden accusatory tone. “Yeah, of- of course I am, really!I just- its just. Different than I was expecting, is all…”

“So?” Mina’s eyes dragged themselves over to the street the cafe sat on, suddenly transfixed on the students walking home or crowding into the various stores and small restaurants lining it. “That’s just an issue with your own expectations, right?”

Martin’s mouth hung open for a moment, processing possible replies for a moment before he cleared his throat again with an uncomfortable chuckle. “Yeah, I uh. I suppose you’re right, sorry. Do you uh.. Do you mind if I go to the bathroom real quick?”

Mina grunted noncommittally, not bothering to look at the boy as he scurried away from their table. Honestly, the nerve of that guy! How could he talk about expectations when they’d never even spoken before? Unless they had. To be honest, she hadn’t even remembered the guy existed until he’d asked her to meet him behind the school. What a cliche, Mina was willing to bet the guy just stayed at home watching anime all day. She scowled at the handful of young couples she spotted holding hands as they passed. Honestly, just die already.

She sighed, and the front legs of her chair re-established contact with the ground. Mina slumped over the patio table, pushing the cup with her elbow as she rested her chin in her hand. She supposed she could try to be a bit nicer to the guy. She had absolutely no intention of maintaining this charade past today, but she may as well try to make the act convincing for now. There wouldn’t be much point to this otherwise, right?

Where was he, anyway? It had probably been like ten minutes or so, and Martin still wasn’t back yet. Was he constipated or something? Geez! Mina craned her neck over her shoulder, seeing if she could spot him, but no, nothing - actually, would she be able to spot him anyway? He didn’t exactly stand out. Seriously, what a bland guy. But still, where was he?!

Mina started to rise from the table, thinking she might just go get him from the bathroom herself, then froze when she spotted something on the street. A shock of bright pink hair, bobbing in the crowd.

Oh no! Oh no no no! Mina dove under the table; there was no way she was about to get caught alone. Ugh, stupid Martin and his digestive problems! Why did he think she even bothered to bring him here?! And he had the nerve to disappear before the most important part?!

She peeked out of her hiding place, tracking that stupid pink flag through the crowd. Ugh, and she had her groupies with her - what, was her boyfriend busy? She had to dust off those shrill little soccer club nobodies? Mina could almost swear she was being mocked right now.

Mina ducked back down under the table, sitting cross-legged while she waited for her adversary to pass. Forget being nice, she was gonna wring Martin’s stupid neck the next time she saw him. She sighed, head in her hand as she waited some minutes until the coast was clear, ignoring the occasional glance from passersby wondering what she was doing under the table.

Once she felt enough time had passed, Mina crawled out from under the table, stretching and dusting off the seat of her pants. Ugh, the cafe staff really needed to clean this patio better. She glanced around, but still saw no sign of Martin. Jerk. She grabbed her drink off the table and tossed it at the nearest trashcan like a baseball. Instead of going in, the cup rebounded off the rim, spilling all over the ground. Someone was playing a prank on her, they had to be.

She sighed, glancing around briefly before crouching to pick the treacherous plastic off the ground. Ugh, it was wet. Why did she have to be the one to clean it up? She really was too nice for her own good. She really had to learn to control it. Like that pink haired hag and her insatiable lust for- for-

Mina nearly jumped a foot in the air as a loud crash snapped her from her thoughts. She stood, looking around to see where it had come from, but… no one seemed to have reacted? Had she just been hearing things? Was it someone’s stupid phone? There was always some sort of inconsiderate influencer wannabe hanging around at this time who refused to use their headphones, but they were always playing some crappy pop star or other.

She dropped her cup in the trash, leaning over the side railing to peek down at the row of hedges beneath it. Huh. It certainly looked like something might have crashed into them, but she didn’t see anything. Her eyes followed the scattered leaves, tracking them away from the sidewalk toward the alley between the cafe and the bakery next door. A dog, maybe? No, it was probably just some drunk homeless guy. Not that it was any of her business, of course.

The alley between the cafe and the bakery was swept clean regularly by the staff, the only unfortunate smell coming from the pair of dumpsters leaning against one wall which they shared. Mina hugged her school bag to her chest as she crept in from the street, keeping her eyes peeled for any violent weirdos who wanted to kill her and skin her feet for napkins or something.

The trail of leaves ended in between the pair of dumpsters, running right up to a pile of translucent black garbage bags. Mina let out a small sigh of relief; it really was just a dog or something probably. She lowered her bag, patting her chest to unbundle her nerves, when she caught a glimpse of something and froze.

The bags shifted. Moved. breathed. And now that she was looking at them, they would’ve been empty, right? Like, she could see right through them, like they had just been full of air. But that didn’t make sense, right? Like, that just seemed like more effort than slacking off or throwing out normal, full trash bags. And weren’t these bags kind of fluffy, actually? Like, feathery. Like, they were covered in feathersohmygoditsagiantbird.

Mina took a breath to steady herself. In six seconds, out four, or something like that. So it was like, a wild ostrich? A wild, transparent ostrich. Easily a job for animal control, right? Just a normal transparent wild ostrich, nowhere near Africa, eating tossed cupcakes or whatever. Like normal.

“He… hellooo…?” Mina called softly before she could stop herself. Her hands clapped immediately over her mouth, her bag falling to the ground with a thud. The weird ostrich between the dumpsters froze, and Mina squeezed her eyes shut tight, hoping it wouldn’t notice her if she couldn’t see it.

The world remained still, and after a long moment Mina peaked one eye open. The bird had gone back to whatever it was doing with stale bread. Was it… was it ignoring her? It had definitely noticed her, right? Like, she’d made noise and everything. She was short, sure, but she wasn’t exactly hidden either. So… it had seen her, but it was ignoring her? What was up with that?!

Wait, wait, no, that was good. She wanted it to ignore her. She could leave now, safely, and not get mauled to dead by a transparent bread eating transcontinental ostrich who crashed into bushes that apparently no one on the extremely crowded street outside had noticed except for her. She put her hands on her hips, considering just how lucky she was that she could just run away now and not get murder-maul-killed.

“Hey!” Mina stared the bundle of feathers down, feet apart. “Hey! Don’t just ignore me, you stupid overgrown chicken! You’re supposed to look at people when they talk to… you…”

Mina’s voice trailed off as the “bird” started to rise from the ground, its body extending further and further into the sky until it towered over her like a dark cellophane tree. It had arms, and legs, and long pointy fingers for plucking out the eyes of small middle school girls. She could count the ribs where its skin held tight against its chest, and her mouth ran dry as her eyes met the dark hollows in its bird skull face.

“U-um.” She swallowed hard. “Uh…”

”I’m looking at you.” Its voice was deep and masculine, and ground together like a bundle of dry bones.

“N-no that’s- that’s okay you don’t have-” Mina put her hands up in front of her, trying to step away only to trip over her bag. She yelped as she tumbled toward the concrete, shutting her eyes against an impact that never came.

She hesitated before opening her eyes, seeing the ground below her before looking back to see her wrist caught in the hand of the bird man. The contact sent an electrical shock through her body, and if the slight tilt of his head were any indication, it had done the same to him.

Him? When did she start thinking of him like that?

’And you were looking at me.” His voice picked up after a beat, subdued surprise echoing her own feelings. ”Spoke to me, too.” He looked up for a moment before leveling his gaze back at Mina, stepping back to pull her to her feet. ”You see me.”

Was this…a comic book? No, she must have fallen asleep waiting for that boring guy Martin who ditched her. Yeah, yeah, that was it. Except…

Mina rubbed her wrist where the man had grabbed her. It tingled.

”I shouldn’t have touched you,” he mused to himself, flexing his grip. ”Something happened. I should ask the others.”

Mina’s mind ground to a halt. Others? “There are other freaky crow guys besides you?” she asked, blanching.

He tilted his creepy bird head at her. ”Crow?”

“Wh-” Mina pointed an accusing finger at his face and wings in turn. “You! Your face! Wings! You’re totally a crow! Don’t give me that stupid look!”

His fingers touched his beak lightly in contemplation. ”Hm.”

Mina looked at him dumbfounded for a long moment, then snapped up her bag before doing an about face and walking back toward the street. “Nope! Nope! Not my business! Not my problem! I absolutely did not follow any weird bird men into dark alleys! No I did not!”

“Mina? What are you shouting about?”

Mina gaped in abject horror at the pink haired girl standing in line at the bakery. She opened and closed her mouth several times like a fish, then turned and bolted down the street, pretending not to hear the titters of the other girl’s soccer club groupies.

This was not her day! This was NOT her day! She must’ve been cursed or something, or some petty divinity had decided to spend its time mocking her instead of dealing with something useful, like global warming. She ducked into a bookshop on the street corner, eager to escape the crowds.

’We need to meet with the others. Why did you run?”

Mina almost screamed in shock as the bird guy made his presence known. She rounded on him, looking around furtively to make sure she hadn’t drawn any attention from the people in the store. “Are you following me?” she hissed, putting one hand up to the side of her mouth as though whispering government secrets. ”Why? Go away!”

Crow Guy pointed at her wrist with one of his long, creepy fingers. ”I can touch you. Something happened when I did. We need to investigate. It’s important.”

“No!” Mina looked around quickly before lowering her voice again. “No! We don’t! Just go- touch someone else! Quit-” She gesticulated at him with her hands. “Stalking me!”

He made a low rumbling noise in his chest that could’ve been a note of dissatisfaction. ”You’re already part of this. Resisting is pointless.” He looked away for a moment, making the noise again. ”And annoying.”

Mina gaped at him, opening and closing her fists in front of her as though trying to grasp something. Instead she opted to close her eyes, mouth snapping shut as she took a long breath in through the nose. She just had to center herself, find her happy place. Ia ia, namaste, peace go with you, blah blah blah-

”Are you freaking deranged?! What are you, some douchey frat guy who can’t take no for an answer?! Daddy didn’t love you enough so you gotta go around harassing random girls, is that it?! Geez! Just screw off already! I’m not going to your little club meeting, okay?! Leave! Me! Alone!”

The two stared at each other in silence for a long moment, Mina’s shoulders rising and falling with her breaths, face turning bright red as she realized everyone in the store had just heard her outburst. For his part, Crow Guy didn’t say anything, his monster bird skull face naturally unreadable. He stared at her, then looked down at his hand, opening and closing his fingers for a moment.

Then grabbed her around the chest and started carrying her toward the door, arms and legs dangling.

“Gah! Help! Kidnapper! Kidnapping! Help! Police! Firemen! Neighborhood Watch! PTA!” Mina shouted as she thrashed about in impotent rage. She grabbed on to the edge of a nearby bookshelf, causing it to wobble slightly when Crow-napper yanked her off it, a few of the books falling to the floor. A few of the customers looked over at the sound of them hitting the floor, but went back to what they were doing, apparently all pleasantly unaware of the terrible, heinous crime presently occurring by the entrance. Jerks.

The sounds of battle raged on at the top of the Needle as the the last survivors of Ikazuchi's army fought valiantly in one of the passageways leading up to the peak where Emperor Constantine remained at the confluence of his madness, holding off the remainder of his forces while the other heroes aimed to put an end to him.

With the bushi long swept away by the emperor's dread forces, taking many down with them, the ashigaru held the line valiantly, knowing that their blood would stain the ebony floors of the spire before the day was out. And at their back, their brave young empress, her voice unfalteringly exhorting them to persevere. In this narrow formation, they held the advantage, no matter how slight, against the maddened human devotees, undead masses, and utterly vile demons conjured by ancient magics. Every last bit of the Empress' strength went towards making herself a human artillery piece, balls of lightning shattering the marauding hordes that sought to tear apart every intruder for the sake of their emperor's glory.

And as the battle continued, eventually strength failed. For every breath that caught in the Empress' throat as she attempted to summon the fury of thunder, lightning sparked and fizzled. And another soldier fell, knowing that their Empress had tried to pay for Ikazuchi's glory with their lives. But did they resent that? The Empress would never know.

Oh, Kanae.

Oh, Ryuzo.

And inevitably, when the last line of defense fell, the Empress stood alone.

Barely able to draw breath, the blade of her naginata dulled and coated in blood and ichor.

And in that moment, fear overcame her fragile and desperate heart.

And she turned and ran.

Out of the frying pan, and into the deep, endless fire.

“Let it never be said nothing was achieved without sacrifice.”

Those were the last words she heard as she stepped onto the peak of the spire.

Everyone else present winked out of existence one by one. It was not until she opened her eyes again that she realized that darkness and light both hurtled by her with impossible speed, casting her adrift.

Was this death? Did it come from a single fatal blow, or the blood she had lost...?

She continued to fall.

Ying Fen-er lay on the mattress in her flat, scrolling through her feeds on her phone. Jeez, it was almost noon already. Her gaze briefly flicked to where her desk (and desktop) sat flush against the wall. Dammit, she should probably be working on the original composition she needed to make for her animation WIP, but then she'd have to get the MIDI controller out and that was just too much trouble. Not to mention the only reason she woke up so late was because of those strange dreams she'd been having.

A bloody battle.

A futile fight for glory that turned into one for bare survival.

An empress who fell to fate.​

What a cliche story. The visuals were pretty vivid, though...maybe she could use some designs from that.

The sound of a can opening interrupted Fen's train of thought, drawing her attention to the door where...a woman was kneeling.

Her pale, clean skin contrasted with her deep purple hair that fell over her hakama while she sipped from a room-temperature can of tea from the cardboard box by the door.

"Ah...?" Fen squinted. This couldn't be happening, right? She took a moment to connect the dots. Her dream...the Empress? No, that couldn't be... "H-how'd you get in here?"

"Hm? Oh!" The woman's eyes widened. "M-my apologies." She sat the can aside on the floor, bowing low into a dogeza and letting her forehead touch the floor before straightening up. "I-I was simply very thirsty, and I-I shouldn't have abused your hospitality-"

"No, no, it's fine...I guess?" Fen sat up as well. "It's-it's just that I don't get a lot of visitors..."

"Visitors...I see." The word seemed to wash over the purple-haired woman, causing her demeanor to turn ever more slightly firmer. "Yes, I'm sorry. I don't know much about you or this place yet...but please, may I have the honor of your name?"

"...Uh, Fen. Fen-er." She enunciated the syllables firmly. "But people call me Fen, when they bother to..."

"Lady Fen." Fen's face turned bright red at that, as the Empress bowed once more. "Please take care of me. I am..." She searched for an acceptable alternative. "Raijin. Yes, Raijin. An emissary. I ask of you a single boon: that you travel with me to meet a few others. It is not far."

"Aw, sure." Fen shrugged. "I...I guess I gotta get out for a while, stretch my legs..." Going out? With a girl literally from her dreams? She couldn't look a gift horse in the mouth. "Ugh, I should probably shower first, though." With that, she got up, crossing her arms and pulling her shirt off as she stepped into the tiny bathroom.

Footsteps sounded behind her, and she turned around to the sight of "Raijin" undoing her robe as well. "E-excuse me?"

"Lady Fen, if I may, I would like to accompany you. While you were asleep, I couldn't quite figure out how to operate this...shower..."

If it was possible for someone's nose to bleed in situations like this, Fen would find out.

"...C-come on in."

Last edited:
"Apparently Lana got a new boyfriend!"

"That so?"

"Very much so!"

All she did was give an answering hum and cast her gaze to the side. Once again her long time friend of years, was talking about school romance gossip. At first she tried her best to show interest, smiling and nodding every so often. But over time it seemed increasingly obvious that she and her best friend were starting to have very different priorities in life. Though, wasn't it more than that? For a couple of years now, she had started to notice that something was different about her compared to others.

If you asked her if she'd ever had romantic feelings for others, she'd reply with a sharp and resounding, "No!" She'd never even had a crush, and she found it hard to understand why those her age seemed to fall for others at the drop of a hat. Not to mention falling for celebrities? Sure, she could understand that they were attractive by normal standards, but she felt nothing that her friends seemed to feel. It was confusing and the more she was told, "You'll find someone." The more she was starting to think that 'someone' would never come. And maybe she was fine with that. It was just frustrating that most of her friends were obsessed with romance. It made her feel like the odd one out.

Her friend was, of course, happy enough to have an empty answer, a wide smile pulling across her face. "Yeah! She confessed to the guy in the middle of class, so we got to see the WHOLE THING!"

Pausing right before she could take a sip from her soda, her nose scrunched in abrupt distaste. That had her attention, but probably not in the way her friend wanted. "Eh? Really?" As her friend nodded rapidly, that distaste only grew. "Isn't that, like... Kinda sucky for the guy?"

Her friend blinked. Then blinked again. "How so?"

"Like..." She shook her soda, the ice inside clacking together. The two were walking down the sidewalk, relieved that school had been over for the day. After school had ended they'd gone to a fast food restaurant to eat together and were now walking aimlessly, trying to pass as much time as possible before night. Both of their parents knew that they weren't going far, so it was fine. "Doesn't it put a lot of pressure on the one being confessed to to say yes?"

Her friend stared at her for a moment before letting out a sigh, "Are you still salty over Brent?"

"Listen. All I'm saying is that it puts pressure on the person being confessed to." She took a long swig from her drink, growing shifty eyed as she looked away. Still, it wouldn't be a lie to say that she was salty over it. A couple of months before she had finally ended a year long 'relationship' that a guy had started by asking her in the middle of class, with his friends watching her expectantly. She already had a hard enough time saying no, and with his friends watching her she finally buckled under the pressure. It had been a miserable year for her all around. He was a good enough guy, but he expected things from her that she couldn't give him.

A tap on her shoulder brought her back to the here and now. "Oh! Let's go to the park!"

She started to follow her friend, when a chill raced up her spine. Clenching her jaw against the disconcerting feeling, she turned and saw... A dragon. Or more specifically, a young (or old?) dragon with blue, crystal tipped wings that floated ever so slightly above the ground.

A couple of days ago, she had noticed that a few of her precious rocks and gems were going missing. Neither of her parents were to blame, and she sincerely doubted that their cat would've gotten into them, so she was at a lost as to what could be going on. Until a blue glow leaking out of an abandoned room lured her towards it, and she saw this woman playing with her 'treasure' on a table. When she accidentally stumbled into the door, the woman didn't even turn. Just greeted her with a, "I was wondering when you were going to come looking."

"It's time to meet them, you know?" The dragon's voice seemed to echo around her, like the breeze that stirred the leaves. Elegant as usual, without the slightest impatience to be found on her face.

Huffing, she shook her head. "I've already said that I want nothing to do with whatever you have to do with me."

The dragon, Shina as she had introduced herself, simply chuckled. "You say that now, but you'll change your mind."

Her eyes narrowed, "And why's that?"

The dragon's eyes glinted, glowing with an inner light. "Because, you're like me."

Fiona sighed and stretched against the afternoon sun, her gaze turning from the book on her lap to the children playing on the playground nearby. It was a nice day, honestly, not too hot with a small breeze that took the humidity right away. It was a good day for parents and their kids to be out and about. Fiona smiled as she watched two children playing tag, giggling and laughing. It was a small joy, one that she had never really experienced herself. Perhaps due to this, she appreciated such little things more now. What good memories she did possess from her childhood were precious.

Still, it was time to head home, perfect weather or not. Fiona allowed herself one last long glance at the clouds rolling across the blue sky, before carefully bookmarking her place and shutting her novel. Brushing off her skirt, Fiona left her bench behind and took to the sidewalk. A few cars passed by on the street, no doubt making their way home from work at this hour.

Heading along the road, Fiona let the lazy sounds of the city wash over her. She'd moved her from her hometown a few months ago, and truthfully it took some getting used to. There were more people, obviously, but also there was just an energy that her more rural town couldn't match. She found it exciting, but also exhausting.

Still, there was demand here, unlike the country. Fiona could actually find work as a piano teacher while she waited to hear back from the colleges she had applied to. So far, no luck, but she wasn't giving up yet. Music was her passion, and her fingers itched already to be back on the keys. It was only through the notes that she truly felt she could express herself. Perhaps that was her fault for staying silent, but life had taught her that speaking up was rarely acknowledged. Better to just avoid conflict and do your best.

Fiona turned down a small side street, a shortcut back to her house. She'd made it about halfway down the street before the dog's growl registered to her ears. Fiona started, looking around and freezing. A large dog had toppled a garbage can and now had turned from its search of the bagged trash to face her. Its ears were peeled back, its fangs bared. It barked malevolently, slobber spitting. Fiona flinched and slowly began to back away. Dogs terrified her and...

The dog lurched forward and Fiona ran. She could hear the dog's snarls getting closer as she stumbled forward, trying to will her weak limbs and body to move faster.

"H-help!" she cried out, twisting back to look at her pursuer and only managing to tangle her feet in the process. She fell forward, scraping her knees and hands. In vain, she tried to raise the book at the lunging animal.

"Piss off!" came a man's voice as a caped, armored figure stepped over Fiona and kicked the dog in the face. The violent mutt was sent literally flying through the air, crashing back into its trash can meal. Howling, the dog took off, its whimpers fading quickly.

"U-uh, th-thank you," Fiona stammered, tears welling up in her eyes.

"Huh?" the man said, turning to stare at her. Or at least she thought he did. His helmet covered most of his face but from what she could see, he looked confused. "You see me girl?"

"U-um," Fiona said, squinting through her glasses and realizing that there was indeed something strange about the man. He was... not quite transparent, but definitely what she would describe as 'ghostly.'

"Ahahahahaha!" the man laughed, making Fiona jump and squeak. "GHOSTLY huh!? Well, who knows, maybe I am dead!"

With a start, Fiona realized she had whispered the word out loud. Her face flushed. Whoever this man was, he had saved her.

"Hmm, well if you can see me, maybe I can help you up, huh?" the stranger said as a grin spread across his face. He extended a gloved hand. "Come on girl, up you go!"

Fiona hesitantly reached out, and was relieved to feel that although he wasn't exactly 'all there', he felt real enough. Warm really, like sitting next to a campfire on a cold day. It was like strength was flowing back into her limbs. Like...

"Ohhhhhh interesting!" the man said, pulling Fiona up, although his hand did not release hers. "Aika is my name. What's yours?"

"F-Fiona," came the response.

"Well, chin up Fiona!" Aika said, leaning in, still grinning like a madman. "The wind's calling you and I! Just look at that sky!"

Fiona's head was spinning, but she felt herself smiling back. She just couldn't help it! There was just something about Aika that... What was going on?

The kitchen was just a notch too bright, casting a sickly yellow glow against the off-white plaster walls. As the sound of a washing machine rumbled distantly in their outdoor shed, Chiemi lay mostly flat against the faux wooden flooring, propping herself up with an elbow as she dragged red crayon against sheet paper. Rom, twelve year old son of the Marigold household, turned the corner into the kitchen without looking and nearly lost his footing on one of the drawings haphazardly scattered around her like a slippery minefield.

"Geez, what the--!" The boy awkwardly caught himself on the counter, his fingers nearly missing a poorly placed knife. "Why in the kitchen again!?" Shaking the page out from under his sock, he knelt down beside her and squinted, staring at her -- or trying to. Chiemi's face was largely obscured by her bangs hanging over her eyes. "And you're using crayon? What are you, a baby?"

Chiemi's drawing hand stopped for a moment. Then she continued doodling.

"You're not even good at drawing."

"Okay, okay, quit pickin' on her little buddy," said the older sister, Aria, as she lifted Rom by the pits and stood him square outside of the kitchen. "She can use crayon if she wants. Not like we have colored pencils around the house." Pushing the knife away from the edge of the counter, she bent over and gathered up the loose pages and shuffled them into a single stack in her hands. "Come on, you should draw in your room. I don't want to step on you by accident--" Her eyes fell to the foremost drawing she was holding. It was a crude rendition of three people being hit by a car. Pulling the corner of the page revealed a second, similar drawing. She frowned.

"Actually, maybe that's enough artistic expression for today." They turned their heads toward the sound of the bolt in the front door retracting, a Mr. and Mrs. Marigold shuffling inside and kicking their shoes off. "Hey mom, hey dad. How was work?"

"Man, the weirdest thing happened today!" Mr. Marigold said a little too excitedly, flinging his keys onto the table. "There was this girl, uh... around Chiemi's age, I think? She was screaming bloody murder in the store for some reason, knocked over like an entire shelf on the way out!"

"Okay?" Aria said curtly as she leaned her hand into the wall, more serious than her chipper father. "Is she alright? Did you call the police?"

"Uh, no. She was just horsing around from the looks of it. She was just horsing around, right honey?"

"I was in the back, dear," Mrs. Marigold said, peeling off her coat and hanging it neatly on a rack. "I didn't see anything."

"Yeah, the one time something noteworthy happens-- something on me?"

Chiemi found herself staring, but blinked away her silent stupor and reached over to brush something off of Mr. Marigold's shirt.

"Yeah," she said quietly. "There was a black feather on you."

Junpei and Kasumi Kenda were at a loss. Their newest robot just wouldn't move. All signs yesterday pointed to a resounding success, making this new development all the more baffling. A highly mobile machine, remote-controlled over long distances, it could maneuver around small spaces where humans couldn't reach and weld metal together. It was to be their presentation for the convention in a couple of days and they had made so much progress until now. Simulations had been run time and time again, but perhaps they didn't run as many as they would like due to other obligations.

Their baby daughter Tsurigi, for example. Not that they would ever regret putting her before their work, but that didn't mean it wasn't disappointing that it was some sort of oversight. Thankfully, they caught this flaw early on thanks to Tsurigi. Oftentimes she was their personal alarm clock. and this time, her cries woke them up early enough to run a quick diagnostic exam and now she sat in her high chair observing them ponder their invention over breakfast.

This was before her attention was driven elsewhere. There was a brief noise from the laptop resting on the kitchen table. The laptop linked via a tangled mess of wire to the robot being observed by her parents below. The laptop that was not quite within arms reach....but she was within reach of the wooden spoon used to stir her parents' breakfast earlier. So of course the spoon was grabbed.

And the next logical action, would be to tap the beeping thing to see if it would make it stop beeping. And thus she hit the keyboard. The beeping only increased, but the noise was more pleasant this time at least, causing Tsurigi to coo in awe. Her father, Junpei, rushed over. "Oh no, Tsurigi! You can't...huh." He glanced at the screen and gave it a once over. "Kasumi...is the robot..."

"Working?" Kasumi answered, in shock. "It's online. Just what did you-,"

"Not me, it was Tsurigi!" Junpei exclaimed. "I'm not sure what she did, I'll have to run diagnostics but she got it working!" He lifted Tsurigi from her high chair and started lightly tossing her into the air, causing her to jiggle. "That's our little genius! she definitely inherited our smarts!"

"I'd say she's even smarter!" Kasumi grinned walking over and kissing Tsurigi on the forehead. The baby merely giggled, not sure why her parents were happy but she was glad to join in on their mirth nonetheless. But there was one other that she wanted to be happy along with the three of them. The odd thing on the kitchen counter. She wasn't sure what it was, it was the first she'd ever seen of it though but something told her it was nice. She let out a small babble.

Ryugami was baffled at the moment. How many days had he been wandering on this strange world of humans, no one able to see or hear him. To his eternal shame, he had been forced to pilfer his food like some common bandit. Disgraceful. He could barely stomach the meals he took but sustenance was required. He did eventually pay for what he could by finding some change on the ground and paying the exact amount in change, searching endlessly for coin until he could garner the amount owed and lay it at the doorstep of the chef or restaurant owner.

Also disgraceful! Not behavior befit of one of his status or position, but it at least all debts were resolved! And now, here of all things, as he followed the smell of the strange circular grid-patterned breakfast pastries he had grown accustomed to, he had wandered into a house of engineers of some sort. Like many others he had attempted to speak to in the past few days, they could not understand him, but the infant..the infant saw him?

Impossible. Inconceivable. There was no...He made a face. Due to being of a mechanical nature, there were only so many faces he could make, but babies tended to react to faces nonetheless. And this one was no different. She started to clap. Her parents seemed overjoyed. They assumed she was clapping in joy with them...perhaps she was. Perhaps another test was in order. Ryugami put on another face. A fierce one. A look reserved for bitter enemies. If the baby was truly reacting to him, then....then...

"WAAAAAAAAAAH!" Tsurigi began to wail. Ah...well, this seemed to prove his theory correct. Unfortunate as it were. This would need to be rectified. Perhaps, he could find a way to make it up to the little miss, but he had a feeling from past interactions that interacting with this world would be almost as difficult as striking a conversation with the people in it.

"Aw, Tsu-tsu, what's wrong?" he father asked, holding her up. "Don't think you're hurt...Ah, wait! that must be it! Shopuldn't have left the window open a bee flew in!" he pointed. Ryugami turned his head. A bee...? Ah. So there was. Well it wasn't something he needed to pay heed to. Even were he flesh, he doubt the thing could even interact with him, aside from perhaps landing on him unawares. Which it just happened to do.

"Doesn't look like she's stung, but man that's a big one. I'll swat it away!" Junpei offered before his wife interrupted.

"No, keep holding Tsurigi, I'll get it!" Kasumi interjected before grabbing a frying pan(?!) and using it to swat at the bee. "Go away bee!" she shouted, slamming the pan atop of Ryugami's head, just as the bee flew back outdoors. A frying pan, in the grand scheme of things, was nothing to be alarmed about, but perhaps on instinct, Ryugami reacted to the hit regardless, bracing himself.

The tears quickly faded from Tsurigi's face and her cries were soon replaced by laughter. Once more she clapped. "You see that, Tsu-tsu? Your mom went and smacked the bee into next week!"

That was not exactly what occured...Ryugami shook his head at his own foolishness and turned to the infant. "Oh, think that was funny, do you young miss?" he sighed, which only seemed to amuse her more. Ryugami supposed he couldn't complain. Her chipper mood form earlier had returned and thus...well he wasn't quite sure what to do next. Meet back up with the others? It'd be a shame to return empty-handed, though.

Perhaps he'd stay here for a bit longer. The girl's parents seemed often preoccupied. Just enough for him to eat more breakfast pastries and perhaps find enough change to pay them for it. "What do you think I should do, young miss?" he asked Tsurigi as she was placed back in her high chair and her parents returned to work.

"Cawowowowowowowowowowow?" she trailed on.

"Hnn. Indeed," Ryugami nodded.

The Emperor was a man of ambition. All mankind, united under his banner, no matter the cost or the effort. It was grandiose. It required the will to see such a momentous task through and strength beyond imagining. And though he may have thought himself capable, Victor Constantine, for all his power and might, was still one man. His Empire could not come into being with mere willpower alone. The foundations would be laid with the bones of the other races, but it would be paved by other, lesser men. Lesser men who believed in the Imperial dream: a world where mankind would not be threatened by those not of their own ever again.

Arius, too, was a creature of ambition. A nation bound to her in perpetuity, serving her loyally. A Devil from the Red Plains of Pandemonium, coming forth to stake her own claim on the earth. But as anathema to the civilized races of the world, she would need to build up power. And Constantine, despite his bluster of the supremacy of Man, needed someone to lead his armies. A powerful being who could command the respect of his legions and lead them to victory unto eternity, until the last of Man’s enemies had been extinguished.

Was it not natural that this partnership would one day shutter to a close? Two beings with two different designs on the world were bound to come to blows someday.

Emperor and general. Man and Devil. To kratisto - to the strongest.

The old guard bent the knee to her after Ikazuchi. The empire had been in its death throes and was a vassal to the dragons of Tekyoryuu. Constantine burned it all the same because they refused to become vassals in his Empire, with Arius shattering the Ikazuchi army at Satsuyama. The violence he inflicted on the populace for the dark purpose of necromancy and creation of demons caused his oldest and most loyal generals to turn their back on him, believing that the Emperor had finally gone beyond the pale in his quest. Together, the oldest legions of the Emperor raised their banners in rebellion under her command.

Defeat followed. But the wounds Arius inflicted were so grave and the splinters burrowed so deeply into the flesh of his forces that Constantine was forced to stall his conquests for a time, rooting out the ‘unbelievers’ and the ‘rot’ that had allowed to fester into full blown rebellion against the Emperor.

In the aftermath, she and her forces wandered, forging a crown of steel and silver for their righteous monarch. The Silver Legion, as they had come to call themselves, became infamous for being led by the Empire’s most prominent traitor. Yet for all those not yet conquered’s distaste, none could deny their skill, and as such, the Legion was deployed as mercenaries. There, Arius saw the gradual degeneration of the Empire - from hardened men and women forged in the fires of war to maddened zealots, the undead, and demons.

It was this skill at arms that saw the Legion through to the final battle. But diplomacy was fraught with tension. The Ikazuchi Empress loathed her for her part in the downfall of her precious empire. The others kept their distance, all to aware of her sordid history as the arch-traitor of the Empire. The plans to engage the Emperor in battle were overruled, with the Empress all but demanding that she lead the front to avenge her defeat at Satsuyama. A desperate ploy to gain leverage by being the one to slay the Emperor at the apex of the world - but alas, any say Arius had in Raiko’s mad rush for revenge was for naught. The assembly did not trust a traitor. She relegated the Silver Legion to support, fighting off Imperial army formations laying siege to the Needle as the ‘heroes’ went to slay him.

With Ikazuchi blades pointed at her back and watched by every member of the party, they marched, fighting their way to Constantine…

Black eyes flickered up to the top of the school’s rooftop.

Three days in a row, Yukari Yanagisawa thought glumly.

The first time she’d seen this woman was in a dream. It was a pretty fucking epic dream - swords and knights and epic, sprawling wars, culminating in an equally awesome final battle. She was the star of it, this devil woman, getting her start from trying to steal the Emperor’s army from right under his nose and eventually becoming a king of a people of a lot of different races.

The she-devil general turned King of a wandering people. She lost, but holy shit, it was so cool! How her brain managed to come up with epic shit like that, Yukari didn’t know, but it absolutely struck her. It was so good that no dream would be able to surpass it ever again!

And then she spotted her. In an empty school hallway, staring right into her soul as she was coming back from track practice, before just- walking away.

Yukari blamed an overactive imagination. Brainrot, her brother’s wife called it while tittering. Some cool shit that she dreamed up herself - of course she was gonna be a little obsessed with it. But to literally imagine this devil woman showing up at school? Nuh-uh. Yukari was absolutely hallucinating.

But she showed up again while doing laps for practice. Looking down from the second level of the school, watching her with that same intense gaze. Two for two wasn’t promising at all.

And now this definitely put it beyond an overactive imagination.

Yukari swallowed. The devil looked down at her, hair swaying in the wind and her tail swishing behind her. What the fuck-

“Follow.”

She blinked, and just like that, she was gone.

Yukari shuddered. What the fuck did she mean by follow? It was the very first word that she’d said, and the fact that the devil even spoke caused Yukari to freeze. Her hand gripped her bag tightly, looking around her for any sign, anything, that someone saw the figure on the roof.

And then her eyes fell on the entrance. She sucked in a breath - the woman was at the gates of the school now. The trickle of students leaving after club activities seemed to go around her, leaving a very conspicuous gap in the middle of the gate. Time seemed to stretch out into infinity as Yukari met the imperious gaze of the woman in her dreams. It was Yukari who broke eye contact first, feeling the frissons of fear run down her back. When she looked up, the devil had already turned her back and kept walking. She sucked in a breath through her teeth.

There was no way, right? None of this would lead anywhere. She was just tired from all the practice because the competition was coming up…

"oH, MY GOD."

Nef rolled her eyes as her exclamation of exasperation was followed by a rather dramatic snapping shut of the book she was holding. The boss had pulled her away early with excuses of some crazy girl having knocked down one of the shelves. Sure, Nef had been wasting time by reading when she was supposed to be doing inventory, but she had been checking the quality of the book! How else was she supposed to recommend that raptor and human romance novel that took place 300 years in the future?

A few kind patrons had already been helping her coworker, Nessa, to pick up some of the books. A bright, young woman who was leaving soon for college. She was an extremely sweet person despite not being a collector of anything.

By the time Nef reached them, the shelf was mostly back in order.

"Oh, Nef, you didn't have to. I had it," Vanessa said apologetically as Nef plucked one of the books from the stack she was carrying. She put it back on the shelf in the wrong place and turned to her coworker, who was still carrying a giant stack of books, with a thumbs up.

"Had to come and help," Nef explained. "Boss' orders."

"...Ah," Vanessa said as a customer began taking more of the books to put on the shelves. "Well, thanks? I think we could use some restocking though. The kids' section was looking a little empty."

"Gotcha, chief," Nef said, pulling out finger guns, before practically running to the back. She had just got to the part where the raptor was about to confess his feelings and explain why he had tried to pass off as a giant robot who only shot out goblins that exploded into gold when hit once. The heroine, Arabella, was also secretly a hobgoblin so it was supposed to be a really conflicting moment for her. Especially since she had plotted to clone the raptor in order to gain the secrets of immortality. It was ramping up to be a rather tender yet important moment.

When she got to her reading spot however, she noticed there seemed to be a tiny little mint green goat that faded into white towards the nose and hooves. Its tiny horns were gold and there was also a mint green bow around its neck, the bow on the back. Its golden eyes were also that weird goat eye she hated, the one that turned to always keep you in its sight.

Nef's hesitance turned to curiosity as she walked up to it, especially when she noticed the gold pentagram on its forehead. She knew they had ordered some new toys but she hadn't realized their bookstore chain would have allowed demonic imagery on kids' toys. Progressive. And... all hers. Nef looked around, back and forth. Had her boss just set one out to show her or was this... a limited edition?

She reached down to pick it up to examine it closer when suddenly she felt a shock run through her system. Nef yelped and let go, falling on her butt, gasping and staring at the toy that had just caught itself from falling face first on the floor.

"hOLY SHI-"

"Constantine, quit goofing off!" came her boss' impatient voice as they passed the storage room on their way to the bathroom. Nef was about to yell to her about possessed toys when the goat turned to face her. Nefarius' voice died in her throat as her eyes widened, staring in horror.

"Co-o-o-o-nstantine?" came the bleating, impossibly deep voice of the tiny goat, staring at her from its right eye. For such a cute looking plush, it sure gave a menacing aura that made Nef wish her parents had not picked the most evil sounding name in the world for her. It was cool at parties but something about the sheer fury this thing exuded made her shake and pray it would be painless.

Nothing compared to the sudden smell of smoked goat cheese however as deep green smoke suddenly enveloped the clearly-not-a-toy goat. It's shape changed and it grew large, barely able to squeeze its wide, muscular frame in the large storage room. The mint green instead faded to a light blue and then purple as you went up its body where large, curved horns sat on its head. The bow disappeared to be replaced by gold hoops on its ears and a gold brand on its nose. The eyes that already weirded her out grew larger too, fixing her in its gaze.

"C-O-O-O-O-O-NSTA-A-A-A-ANTI-I-I-I-I-NE," it bleated in rage before rushing forward, shrinking down to her size, it's forehead colliding violently with hers. The world went dark.

Last edited:
At the edge of the clouds there was a brilliant white patch, like a turning page catching the sun. The rest was dove grey with a subtle hint of purple, just enough to announce the coming sunset. This evening was forecast to rain, around six, so when the school bell rung Shari gathered her books from her desk and pushed past her classmates to her locker, where she quickly gathered her things. There were a few polaroid pictures stuck to the inside taken with Rebecca's camera, and an array of faded stickers plastered on the metal door, but Shari didn't stop to look at them as she grabbed her backpack, slung it over one shoulder and slammed the door shut. The hallway was filled with kids excited to go home and she weaved through them like an expert. Faintly she could hear a familiar voice calling her from behind, but she didn't stop until she popped out of the school and ran toward the bike racks where she was one of the first to clip on a purple helmet and grab on to the handlebars of a grey bike.

"Shari, wait!"

Shari's best friend Rebecca called out to her, black curls bouncing as she ran with books threatening to fall out of her arms. With a huff the girl dumped her books into the basket of the bike beside her, a pastel pink vintage-looking beauty, before adjusting the satchel pulling at her school uniform. Rebecca shot Shari an exhausted look, "Girl, what the hell is the rush?! You know what Mr. Henderson is like."

"Sorry, Bec! But it's gonna rain tonight, which means - " Shari was interrupted by the taller girl beside her. "Which means you only have a few hours in the ocean. Right. Well, let's get going then."

The two rode their bikes down the drive of the school and onto the street where cars lined up to pick up their kids from school. Shari felt her heart skip a beat when they passed the old faded convenience store and the beautiful ocean horizon opened up to them, it's glittering waters disrupted by a rough tide. Nice surfing weather. It took only five minutes to ride to her house if they were fast. She could put on her wetsuit and grab her board in less than ten minutes, which meant she had a good two hours and a half to surf. Not enough, but it was better than nothing she supposed. Dad never let her in the ocean while it rained.

A few blocks down from the school was the beach, and then a left turn took them to Shari's house which sat peacefully beside the waterfront. A red car was parked outside of the wooden house on stilts, and beside it the girls parked their bikes. Shari ran into the garage below the house, ripping her shoes, socks, skirt then shirt off and grabbing the wetsuit hung up beside others like it, varying in size and style. She slipped the black rubbery suit onto her body, jumping and doing a weird dance to get it comfortable. Rebecca laughed at her, "You look ridiculous."

"Not gonna come with?" Shari asked with a grin. Bec shook her head.

"I have a comp coming up soon, remember? I want to snap some good pics of you on those waves!"

Shari turned to look at the water. Shit yeah. They were great waves. The two girls laughed, elated for different reasons, for they shared a different but common goal - surfing, and surf photography. Grabbing her board, Shari strapped the velcro to her ankle and ran toward the water, feet kicking up warm sand until it reached the cool ocean. Then, with a large breath in and a grin, she began.

About two hours had passed. The sky was darkening from the threat of both rain and the sun setting. Shari was pretty good at surfing, but the water was beginning to get a bit too choppy even for her. One more.

"Let's make it a big one." She muttered under her breath, watching the wave in front of her grow to double it's size. Wait...wait...NOW!

Shari stood and began to ride the wave. It was much larger than she had expected and it threatened to catch up to her, engulf her, but she kept her eyes forward and concentrated on balancing --

Hang on. What the hell was that?

Inside of the wave there was a creature unlike any she had ever seen before. It swam alongside her board, watching her with a large blue pupil. A shark? Then, without warning, the wave crashed.

Tumbling. Tumbling. The ocean held her down inside it's deathly grip, pressing at her weak lungs until there was no more air. Fuck, this was bad. Shari could feel her board tugging at her leg, begging her to come up to the surface, but the waves held her down. In a moment of stillness she saw the shark again but - no, it was no shark, it was a dragon, and it was staring right at her. In one swift movement the dragon began to swim toward her. Shari put up her hands in vain as the dragon gobbled her up.

"Shari! Hey, you okay?!"

Consciousness came back. Bec was at her side, gripping her shoulder in concern as Shari coughed, gasping for air, her eyes staring at...sand? She was back on the shore, but how?! Brown eyes met Rebecca's worried expression, "What happened?"

"You were wiped out," Rebecca shook her head, "Looked like a mean wave. You didn't come up for ages but then another wave came and just kind of...pushed you back to shore. Weird."

Shari sat up and pushed the hair out of her face, "Huh. Super weird."

The sun began to set, casting long shadows across the city as it bathed the rest in golden light. Hitomi leaned over the railing on the roof of her school, watching the late afternoon sunlight dance across the water of the river that ran through the city's center. She sipped from a can of coffee before swirling it around absentmindedly. Below, she watched as the last few student council members left for the day. The only students in the building would be team captains cleaning up after club activities. She sighed, realizing it was time to head home; otherwise, she risked being locked out or scolded by the custodian for staying well after students were allowed.

The walk home was always uneventful. Hitomi had opted to bring her headphones and listen to a playlist of some rock band the kids in her class had been talking about. Hitomi figured even if she didn't like the music, she could find some small inspiration in the lyrics to help kick the writer's block she was experiencing.

The sky was dark when she reached the small convenience store. "Cooking for one again tonight?" Hitomi looked over to see the motherly cashier wearing a smile. "Afraid so," she began, but it gives me the opportunity to perfect my curry recipe," Hitomi replied with a slight shrug and smile. The cashier chuckled, "Oh, I'm sure your boyfriend will appreciate such a well-cooked dish someday!" Hitomi felt her face flush, but the cashier had begun helping someone else before she could reply.

"Goodnight!" The cashier called after Hitomi as she walked through the automatic doors. Hitomi gave a wave and made her way home. The street was a bit busier than when she'd entered the store. Couples walked hand in hand, debating where to eat or drink that night. Groups of men in suits laughed and playfully pushed one another as they headed to a bar to end the day. Everyone she saw seemed to have someone except her. She clutched her bag of groceries tighter at her revelation. She felt alone in a sea of people. She tried to justify that it was simply some basis, that she was blocking out everyone else walking alone, but the feelings of loneliness crept in and refused to let go.

A crash down the alley she was walking passed snapped her from her thoughts. A cold fog crept from between the two buildings. Hitomi stared into the darkness. Before she knew it, she was taking a hesitant step forward, her curiosity throwing rationality out the window.

"H-hello?" She called, simultaneously hoping for a reply and not. The fog grew thicker and colder the deeper she walked into the alley. A flickering blub above a business's receiving door was the only light, and Hitomi could only make out shadows in the fog. She saw what looked like a dumpster, except it was dented in the middle. A large mass lay in front of the dumpster, and if Hitomi knew any better, she would have said the mass was the source of all the fog.

"Are you okay?" She whispered, taking slow steps forward. The air was cold. Hitomi felt herself shiver, but she wasn't sure if it was out of fear or because of the cold. She stopped suddenly, her eyes widening as the mass in front of the dumpster moved. The figure rose, standing at its full height, towering over Hitomi. In an instant, wings of ice appeared on the figure's back as a deep cerulean hue coursed over its body.

Hitomi was stunned. She'd never seen something so beautiful and terrifying.

"Be not afraid, child of Adam," The figure spoke with two voices, male and female. "It would appear you and me were fated to meet, as you can see me when no mortal in this realm can."

"Oh? W-why me, though?" Hitomi felt her body tremble in the figure's presence, a foreboding creature clad in ethereal armor that spoke so profoundly. She must be dreaming, she thought. She must have fallen asleep on the rooftop after school, and this was her mind fighting through her writer's block, trying to give more meaning to her mundane life than necessary.

"You are pure of heart and are destined to aid me in my quest to return home, to finish a battle to maintain the balance between worlds..." The figure trailed off, seeming to understand it had lost Hitomi. "In time, you will come to understand, daughter of Eve, and I, Isfrid, will be beside you every step of the way."

Hitomi could do little more than nod at Isfrid's words. Something inside her ached, and she yearned to believe what this fantastical creature was saying. Every ounce of her being wished for more out of life, to have a purpose, to truly matter in the grand scheme of things. Yet, destiny stared her in the face, and she wanted to go home, wake up the next day in bed and begin another routine day.

No. She wouldn't run. She wouldn't allow the comfortability of life to stop her from facing whatever task had been laid out for her. She resolved to trust Isfrid and reached out her hand to the towering Angel. "W-would you like to join me for dinner?" She managed to ask, her heart beating out of her chest.

The question lingered between them briefly before Hitomi watched as Isfrid's head cocked to one side before nodding, accepting her invitation.

43383_GlEFUj6K.pngSlender fingers ran through her hair absentmindedly, the feeling of the strands running under the tips of her nails oddly comforting. Slowly shifting her weight between her heels, each shoe giving a subtle squeak thanks to the hidden insoles. Elysia's brows were furrowed slightly with the mild contemplation she was facing. And what was this conundrum? Picking between two brands of snack cakes. She liked both just fine, but they each had their ups and downs. The flavor profile of the one brand was better but the texture of the other was superior. Then, there was a sale going on for both. Buy one, get one. She would let out a little sigh, reaching out to pick up one of the boxes. If only this deal let you combine brands. Elysia finally came to the decision to finish the rest of her grocery shopping first, then come back to this if she had some funds left over. After moving out of her parents house, even though it felt like it, she hadn't been cut off. At least until the young woman found a job. She had applied for quite a few the past few weeks, but none had really come to fruition though. Elysia wouldn't be discouraged though.

The sound of the buggie's wheels rolling along the grocery store tiles gave her mind something to focus on in the background as she perused, picking up things from her list. Pasta, bread, some cheese, some produce items. "Do I want pastina this week?" Elysia mumbled to herself, fingers drumming again a box of tiny pasta. "I know I want scallion pancakes..." She pulled two boxes of that pasta to drop them in her buggie before walking off. She'd grab some coffee items next, and after grabbing a few extra items she'd circle back to the snack cakes. Elysia had enough grocery funds in order to pick one of the snacks. And after the walk around, she had decided on the ones with a better texture. The normal lines were a bit long, so Elysia would gravitate toward the self checkout to begin taking care of herself. She preferred this in all honesty, it was easier and usually got her out of the stores faster. Only a few minutes has passed and she was already paying while the lines had barely moved an inch, Elysia smiled, certain she had made the right choice. After loading everything into her little roller cart to take home, she was outside in the fresh air, walking home.

Today had been a good day. She woke up just in time to turn her alarm off before it woke her up, the shower temperature was perfect, she ran into very little traffic on the way to the store and so far, it seemed like that would be the case on the way home. Or so it would seem. About the half way mark, something in the corner of her eye cause Elysia's attention. It was strange enough to make the woman stop in her tracks. Now, anyone who's anyone knows that wandering off down some alley way as a woman, alone, was a very bad idea. But something was... calling to her. The young woman would stand there a few moments, debating on whether or not to answer. Eventually though, she'd turn and slowly start heading down the alley. It felt warm, warmer than it had been just a minute ago, though she would think nothing of it. She continued the walk, slowly edging along until she finally spotted something. Someone was behind a dumpster, just slightly out of view but Elysia could feel her heart racing as she got closer and closer. Until finally she saw them.

Sitting with their back to the dumpster and knees pulled close to their chest was a person! A badly burned person! Her eyes quickly scanned the area as she grabbed her phone, approaching who she assumed needed very intense medical help, Elyisa having yet to notice their skin was moving. "Hey, hey are you alright?" She'd ask, reaching out to gently touch the persons abnormally warm skin. The sound of her voice startled them, the person jumping some, before a sheet panic sat in seeing Elysia's hand.

"No! You can't you'll..." The person stared at Elyisa's hand, Elysia staring back. "Burn. You're not burning," The person, or creature as Elysia would finally realized blinked slowly, shifting to touch the human's arm. They seemed entranced before suddenly, another realization hit them. "You can see me?!"

"Uh...yes? This is...why is...are you okay? Seriously, were you in an accident or-"

"No no! I just look like this, do not worry!" The creature spoke, shifting again, this time to stand up, clasping Elysia's hand in their own. "I am Novis! you must come with me, to the others! This is incredible, you're compatible, come, come!" Novis urged, giving Elyisa a gentle tug. Her feet moved, not entirely at her own will, more habit. "You're name, tell me."

"Umm, Elysia. Are...are you real? I feel like this isn't real and I've definitely been hit by a car or something right?"

"What is a...car?"

There were many places in the city where a group could meet surreptitiously if they so desired. It was pockmarked with bridges, subway tunnels, storm drains- plenty of such locations to hide within and beneath, away from prying eyes, and it was in one such location that Mina found herself spirited away to. She was beneath one of the subway stations, she reasoned; Harvey Crowman had brought her through a side access tunnel, into a large round storm culvert connecting to drainage systems leading under the rail lines and out toward the sea.

Or something like that. She didn’t know anything about drainage or flood infrastructure, but she thought that seemed a reasonable explanation for why there was a big damp concrete cavern under the city large enough to hold some thirty people or more.

She squatted in the driest spot she could find, apathetically poking at waterlogged litter with a stick. The stupid bird guy had dragged her here without much (or any) of an explanation, only dropping her when he felt comfortable she wouldn’t make a break for it. It must have been… well, a few hours at least. It was pitch black in the tunnel at this point, or would have been, if not for the… lady, question mark, made of what looked like molten rock lighting up the space.

They had trickled in slowly, a pair at a time, and now there must have been nearly a dozen other people in here. A few had apparently had the thought to assist the magma monster in the lighting effort with their phones, aiding the fight against eye strain rather valiantly. Mina couldn’t help but notice they hadn’t been- well, most of them hadn’t been manhandled into the space the way she had. Unfair.

She shot a glance at her own paired freak, who stood sullenly off to her side with no apparent urge to get things started. Honestly, he was the one who dragged her here, saying something about “asking the others” and “you’re part of this now” and other such junk. The least he could do is open the floor with a greeting or whatever! Jeez!

Mina let out a shout of frustration, stomping to her feet and throwing the stick on the ground before rounding on Crow guy. “Ugh! Just say something already!”

He blinked at her, staying silent for a moment before turning to the others with a clear of his throat.

“I found this girl out in the city,” he stated. He did not continue. Mina looked like she wanted to throttle him. He looked at her again, then made a noise in his throat before speaking up again. “She could see me. I grabbed her wrist, and something happened. So I brought her here.”

Mina put her hands on her hips. “Really? That’s it?”

”Yes.”

“Ugh!”

"I knew you would come~" The dragon teased, a smug lilt to their voice. Ever since they had come to that location, Shina had teasingly prodded their 'partner in crime', and it was starting to get on Madeline's best nerves.

"Could you shut up?" She hissed, crossing her arms and glaring defiantly in a different direction. Unfortunately for her, she was the exact kind of human that was driven by curiosity. She was certain that if she were in a horror movie she would be the one that stupidly decided to follow a sound the killer had mad, and get herself axed.

Now that she was here, she didn't bother trying to hide the fact that she was watching the other transparent beings with no shortage of curiosity. Really, what were they? No matter how often she questioned the dragon at her side, they always said the same thing: "If you come to our meeting place, all of your questions will be answered~" It infuriated her each and every time. Would it really KILL Shina to give her the truth? But perhaps that was the point. The dragon had caught on right away that she was driven by her curiosity and had taken full advantage to use that against her. The idea that she was just that easy was also incredibly annoying.

Tapping her foot, she wondered just what they were going to do now. It didn't escape her notice that the other spiritual beings were staying close to another person. The commotion between a girl and the giant... bird... at her side drew her attention. She glanced towards them and pursed her lips. Something about that bird's words did stand out to her though, and that was something that Shina quickly picked up on.

The dragon floated forwards (did they even need their wings?) and clapped their hands together. "Something like that happened with me as well~ Though, Madeline here grabbed me rather than it being the other way around." For a moment, Shina seemed content with pouting, pretending to wipe away an imaginary tear. "Honestly... Man-handling a pure-hearted maiden! The nerve!"

Nothing could have stopped her from stomping her foot, a glare lighting up her face. "Excuse me?! You stole my stuff! And you're not pure!"

"Yes, well..." The dragon pulled back on the cheekiness, returning back to the calm façade they normally wore. "Either way, she grabbed my arm and I felt a... Connection, so to speak. A rush of power that flowed from me to her. I thought it best to bring her here right away but, I figure it's best for her to come on her own."

Madeline could only scowl and mutter, "But tricking me into it is completely fine, huh..."

"Raijin..." Fen took a moment to consider the honorific. "Raijin-san." Yes, that was probably the safest for now. "Would you, maybe...like to borrow some of my clothes when we go?" The rules of Raijin's...existence were yet unclear. Could people see her or touch her? She knew she certainly could. Her opportunity to...observe Raijin up close yielded the insight that their builds weren't that different, so it wasn't like Raijin would find Fen's clothes tight in the chest or anything.

"If I may, Lady Fen."
"Raijin" gave a slight bow as she put her hakama back on. "I am grateful for your generosity, but I am...uncertain as to how your possessions will interact with my present form. Perhaps the opportunity will arise in the future to...experiment?"

"Aw, okay." Fen sheepishly rubbed the back of her messy red hair. "Maybe I could get you something to eat on the way?"

"..."

"R-right, that can wait till after this big meeting we're supposed to go to."

Their destination didn't smell THAT bad, though it was undeniably dank and humid. Just what was Raijin leading her into?

It didn't take long for the other participants to gather as well. All...human, just like her.

And she could see them, the spirits.

The burning one cast light and shadow, all the others seemed perfectly solid. Raijin, for her part, seemed to refrain from exercising her ability for the sake of lighting the cavern.

This was real. For certain measures of real anyway.

A metallic dragon carrying a baby. A muscular, viking-like man next to a rather peeved-looking girl. A stately woman with horns like that of a dragon, or a demon...

Fen felt static electricity arc down her spine as she looked at the last one, as if she too was feeling the dignified Ryujin's sudden anger.

She took the initiative to speak after the crow.

"W-well, I can see you all too. It's nice to meet you?"

"Lady Fen..." Ryujin rested her hand firmly on her shoulder. "...is my fated partner. I will stand with her as we face the coming incursion of the mad Emperor."

The glow on Fen's face could probably light up the room all on its own. She was probably too busy swooning to even acknowledge the second part.

Ryugami sat watchful, as he had the past few days he had arrived at the house. It was not his preference, but he felt slightly inclined to do so. After all, he had pilfered food from this family without their knowledge and all attempts to offer recompense went ignored as the parents were too preoccupied by their work while he was certain the child would only try to ingest the coin. Furthermore, every time he attempted to step away, the baby would wail something fierce. Loud enough to be heard all around this village for at least a mile. It seemed his presence brought the child some comfort, which he did not mind much if it wouldn't impede him from his duty. But the time to meet again was drawing near...he would not have time to waste here much longer.

He pondered this whilst sitting in front of the child's bedroom door as if to protect it from intruders. Occasionally, he was called upon. "Rrrooooo.. rrrroooooo!"

Like so.

"Yes, young miss, what is it now?" Ryugami sighed, hunched over as he stepped into the room. Tsurigi was shaking, on the verge of tears. "What? What is it? What concerns you?!" Ryugami asked, more alarm in his voice...until he regarded what she was pointing at. A shadow of a tree branch from her window. "Young miss, this is simply a shadow. You cannot fight such things, you had best get used to them."

"Errhdooooo!" Tsurigi replied.

"Even if I were to strike it, it would simply remain," Ryugami explained further.

"Otfruuuuuu!" Tsurigi complained.

"I will sit here then. Perhaps, the shadow will not strike in my presence," Ryugami eventually resigned at the notion that he wouldn't be allowed to leave unless he did something. Fortunately, this seemed to have calmed the infant down. Her eyes lost the teary gaze and finally, she began to relax. Ryugami, noticing that she might fall asleep soon gave a sigh of relief. Perhaps he too needed some rest. But that would have to wait for late,r as her parents suddenly walked in. But there was someone else with them?

"Tsurigi!" her father smiled. "Hope we didn't wake you up! This is Rachel, from across the street! Remember her? She's going to be watching you, while we're at the convention!" At this, it was unclear whether Tsurigi understood or not, but she seemed to get the gist that her parents were leaving and the teary eyes returned as she started to let loose a saddened wail.

Her parents sympathetically both picked her up together and hugged her. "It's okay, we'll be gone for a while but we'll be back. We went over everything with Rachel, she'll take good care of you!" Her mother turned to Rachel. "I can't tell you what a relief it is that you were able to help. We hate to leave her, but this convention could be our chance to show the world what we can create! What a coincidence that your school had that asbestos outbreak!"

"It certainly was convenient, ma'am!" the babysitter agreed. Ryugami couldn't help but feel an aura of irritation at this teenager's presence, but he let it pass for now.

"We'll miss you, Tsu-Tsu! And we promise we'll call as much as we can!" the parents held their child tight for what felt like hours before finally letting go, kissing her on the head and bidding farewell as their ride had arrived to escort them to the airport.

"See you around, Mr. and Mrs. Kenda! I'll take good care of her!" Rachel waved the two parents goodbye until they were out of sight....and then immediately drew out her phone and began to talk...and talk...and continue. Ryugami wondered if all adolescents in this world could speak endlessly in indecipherable speech, but his fascination was short-lived. He had peaked at the schedule and instructions the Kendas had left for her and she followed none of it!

Asinine! That was the only word he could cobble together from this behavior. No, there was another. Irresponsible. The metal dragon would admonish her if she could hear him. As it stood, it was up to him to do her job for her, to some degree. He could at least get Tsurigi her food. Though, he questioned if the odd-smelling mush in the jar really qualified as a meal, even to an infant. Tsurigi did not seem to mind much, however. But there was an issue.

"Bah! The hour is drawing near! What am I to do?! There is a location we must meet and yet I cannot leave her here with that over-talkative cretin..." Ryugami pondered, folding his arms in dismay. Perhaps...no. It was foolish. Too risky. Who knew how long he would be away?! If he brought the child, she could be put in danger. Although...he supposed it was better than her starving to death under the "watch" of this...Rachel.

"This world is nothing but trouble," Ryugami concluded, as he began to construct a type of knapsack from blankets found in the baby's room. Picking up Tsurigi as gently as he could, he placed her in it, and tied it around his back, where she now hung. "I apologize for this, but I cannot leave you here in the hands of a simpleton. I have brought provisions and will return you home as soon as possible...I swear by it to you and your parents that so long as I am present, you will fall under my protection! Is that suitable, young miss!"

Tsurigi seemed not to mind, having gotten distracted by a string being whisked into the air by a fan. She attempted to grab it but then got tired and began to fall asleep. "I suppose, that's as good an answer as I'll get..." Ryugami nodded before heading out through the front door. As he began to open it, he noticed Rachel pause and sit up on her favorite couch across the hall in the living room. Perhaps she had noticed the door suddenly opening? ...Ah no. Of course not. She simply wanted a refill of popcorn.

Perhaps there truly was nothing to worry about on that front. Instead, Ryugami concentrated on heading toward the meeting point.

It didn't take long before Ryugami arrived near the designated meeting point. He was lucky in the fact that Tsurigi had slept the entire way. But now he'd only felt more apprehension, due to the choice of...venue as it were. The stench was unreal. How was he to bring a baby in there? Spacious as it was, he had to contend with the others being there. He could barely fit in the Kenda's house were it not for the slight shifting of his body and practically slithering around the halls. But the smells alone may be too intense for a child...even one young enough to constantly defecate with little warning.

Sliding the storm drain open slightly, Ryugami called down, his booming voice echoing. "I think I may simply wait out here..You all can hear me, I trust-..."

"..."

"Did....did you ALL bring a child?!" Ryugami asked, immensely puzzled.

Chiemi took a nap in her room.

A nap which turned into sleep, and a sleep which turned into a dream. The same one as always, of course: A vast, abstract void which breathed and pulsated around her -- and at times, even seemed to communicate with her. Maybe. This time, it was a wave of vibrant neon lights rolling gently around her, like a half-gaseous, half-liquid tunnel. She was used to such sights by now, but this was the first time she'd seen it with so much... color.

Previously, it had been a twisted mass of naked writhing branches shrouded in deep fog, an endless rippling field of gray corn occasionally smattered by long hands reaching out from the ground, and a series of massive mechanical cubes suspended by chains.

Chiemi gazed absentmindedly around herself, and wondered if this meant it was happy. She decided to ask.

"Are you in a good mood?"

Her voice echoed through the waves like a strong breeze, causing them to dance and splash in excited patterns -- the air shimmered with excitement as she walked slowly through the swirling tunnel, tracing her fingertips along her personal aurora. She felt herself being beckoned forward by inaudible yet so clearly present thoughts, gently guiding her footsteps. The dream had always left her feeling strangely at peace, and this time was no different. As the light at the end of the tunnel began to warmly embrace her, she--

--suddenly woke up.

Chiemi took a nap in her room. Now she was outside, standing next to a moist trail of dirt several meters below street level. Huh. That piece of shit made her sleepwalk here, didn't it? She crouched down out of sight, darting her eyes side to side as she clamped her teeth over her thumbnail. She couldn't prove it, but that was definitely what happened. This isn't a rainbow tunnel, this is a drain for polluted runoff. What the hell.

However, on closer inspection, something odd stuck out to her. There was light coming from inside the tunnel. And voices. Maintenance workers? No, that was a child's voice. She weighed her options in her mind briefly before shrugging, approaching the open culvert with caution.

“Ugh!”

"... rush of power that flowed from me to her. I thought it best to bring her here right away but..."

"... my fated partner. I will stand with her as we face the coming incursion...."

Peeking in halfway from the outer edge, Chiemi squinted at the unexpected brightness. And also at the unexpected alien creatures. Then a large metal dragon shouted almost directly in her ear. No, this was definitely still a dream.

She looked up at Ryugami and pointed at him.

"You're not real."

"YOU'RE not real," Ryugami repeated, mildly agitated. "Or I would hope so. Such a putrid pit is no place for a child to wander about! ..." Ryugami turned his head. "Just how is it that these children are able to interact with us?"

"I-I-I-I HAVE FOUND THE RE-E-E-ASO-O-O-N," Ramza bellowed as he blew past Ryugami and some strange looking kid, leaving the smell of goat cheese trailing behind him that quickly faded back into the stink of the god awful meeting place. He took note of everyone who was present so far, wondering if more were arriving. However, he had something to show them and he could show off catch the others up if any more were coming.

Once he was in the center of everyone, he held up the unconscious Nefarius by the collar while he flexed his other arm.

"I-I-I-I HAVE FOUND CO-O-O-O-NSTA-A-A-ANTI-I-I-I-NE," he announced proudly, looking rather smug for a goat. "A-A-A-ND DEFEATED HE-E-E-R. YO-O-OU-U-U MAY ALL THANK M-E-E-E-E."

"HA!" Aika bellowed out in response to Ramza's proclamation, grinning madly as usual. "As if you could defeat Constantine! Also last I checked, you dump sheep, Constantine was an old man not some little girl!"

"U-uh, um," Fiona agreed, eyes wide and too in shock to notice the smells as she stared at the rest of the people gathered.

Aika folded his arms, which seemingly did nothing to contain his enthusiasm. "I like this! A lot! You all seem surprised so let me explain it to ya!" Aika jerked a thumb at Fiona. "These humans are special, obviously! I've felt pretty weak ever since I got here, but when I held her hand, it felt good! Real good!"

"W-w-what are you s-saying!" Fiona squeaked.

Aika threw back his head and laughed.

Ramza tilted his head and then brought Nef closer to his right eye, examining her again.

"A-A-AH," he said as he unceremoniously dropped Nef onto the ground. "I-I-IT SEEMS THE LIGHTING WASN'T GREAT UP THE-E-E-RE."

"..." Ryugami noted, in disgusted disbelief at the sheer....rambunctioness on display. "At...at any rate....I dislike this development greatly. These children are in danger! Anyone involved in this could be in great peril! We have no right to endanger the denizens of this world! I would not have brought this infant, had I not feared for her safety at home!"

"... Well, I think this is an opportunity that we shouldn't overlook." With an uncharacteristic focused glint in their eyes, Shina stared at Madeline. She almost felt like an experiment to be toyed with beneath the dragon's gaze. "Our battle with the Mad Emperor has not ended, even if we are but specters now. His ambition has risen to even greater heights, and if we do nothing then he will lay a claim on this world as well. So then, I wonder... Could these children handle our abilities?"

She was in the middle of wondering if the reason the dragon liked to float so much was because they didn't want to be called short, when they dropped that bomb shell on her. Thawed from her thinking, she could only take a step back and stare incredulously at the dragon and then the other spirits.

This was all messed up. What was going on?!?! The only problems she's had up until now was struggling to pass an exam, or getting annoyed at her classmates for picking on her, or not having enough of an allowance to go to that cafe after school she liked. Now a spirit was following her, they were talking about some 'mad emperor' guy, and it felt increasingly like her life had just dramatically changed. She raised her hands as if to ward off a projectile. "Okay, okay, okay! I feel like I'm going insane! Can someone explain what's going on?!"

Shina's tail lashed and they sighed, "Yes... Perhaps that would be best." Their focus swiveled towards the other spirits, a cheeky grin resting across her lips. "Does anyone else want to be our storyteller for the day? That may be the best way to clear up any confusion, or send them all running in a panic, but either way! It's best they know exactly what's going on."

Hitomi rocked on her heels as she looked around the group of spectacular creatures and ordinary girls like herself. She couldn't truly begin to pretend to understand what was going on or why they were all here, but the air was alive with hope and apprehension.

Isfrid had humored her in following Hitomi home for a dinner she managed to burn after slicing her finger because her hands were still shaking. The Angel had stood once they finished eating and told Hitomi to follow, and follow she did. Was she crazy? Was her life so mundane that she willingly followed a seven-foot, armor-clad "angel" through the city and into the sewers? She sighed and knelt, hugging her knees to her chest, waiting for one of the warriors to speak. She looked up at Isfrid, waiting to see if they would speak in response to the small dragon.

"There is much we could explain, but perhaps simplicity is best," Isfried began. "We come from a plane beyond yours, from various worlds gathered in a shared mission to stop a madman from using a device that would grant him power beyond comprehension. Together, we stormed his tower and engaged him in what we expected would be the decisive battle. However, Constantine managed to tap into the Oblivion Needle's power and open a rift in space and time that we were thrown through. This plane has stripped us of our physical bodies and abilities. Yet, you can see us and physically interact with us. We must understand why and what this means. Though I can safely assume everyone else here is thinking the same, you all may be the key to us getting home or stopping Constantine at the very least."

"That was the simple version?" Hitomi asked, her heart pounding. "You all came from some other world, and now you think we can help you get home and fight some powerful Wizard or something?" She felt her cheeks flush and couldn't believe what she'd heard. How could they help in any way? They could see and touch them, but why would that indicate their ability to help these warriors from who knows where?

"The fate of our worlds and now, yours, may depend on you-"

"No," Hitomi shouted, cutting Isfrid short. "Don't start that. Do you understand what you're even asking us?" The fate of the world? Hitomi now wished she had just kept walking, hadn't ventured into the alleyway, and discovered Isfrid, yet she couldn't deny the nagging feeling that she and the warrior angel were connected. Something felt "right" about their meeting. Fate felt like too small a word, but what else do you call such a chance meeting with extraordinary details? Maybe her anger was more as Isfrid being right and her being afraid than it was Isfrid and the others asking for their help with such a colossal task.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back