• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

Other Visual update to the site?

Do you enjoy the New Light/Dark layout?

• Total voters
I think it's just where the participants of the conversation go, and since pfp scrolling doesn't work with the new site code (as far as I can understand), neither does the conversation info scrolling, so it looks blank.

Yeah it's a wee bit uncanny, but I'm sure they're gonna fix that considering that it's only present in DMs and not on the whole site.
I was gonna bring that up too

Could you send a screenshot it? I don't see any thing different except avatars following along, it is all the exact same spacing in PMs (1600px). It has been 1600px for over a decade.

Looks like this- excuse all the tabs.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-02-05 at 3.25.58 PM.png
    Screenshot 2022-02-05 at 3.25.58 PM.png
    134.7 KB · Views: 24
Im seeing this problem too in Mac. The text box for posting DMs is small and there’s a lot of unused blank space to the right. I am not seeing this same problem on iPad.

Yeah I think we might need to wait for the summer patch to reduce the blank space Becuse even in regular posting there’s a lot of unused room however I can say mobile is more responsive to touch

Colors, spacing issues, textures and things have been getting pushed out by me, the style is almost at parity with the old dark theme minus the fact that it was all just different shades of blue which was a web design travesty.

Current:

preview

Old Dark:

preview

I, personally, like the blue, but this new darkmode is a lot more visually distinct against the other parts of the website, so I suppose I like both!

I much prefer the blue, but the textured background coming back makes it much nicer then it was an hour ago!

I much prefer the blue, but the textured background coming back makes it much nicer then it was an hour ago!

We are not making the site one entire color and only using shades of it again until we release the actual styles designed by us near the summer. At that point we will have blue and several pastel shades and hopefully the ability for users to also just pick their own color.

I just got on for the first time today. I thought I had gone crazy.

It'll take some getting used to.

We just need some patience <3.

I'm not fond of everything myself either, but sometimes, some things just need to happen. Somethings were falling apart and sometimes just some updates need to happen, like ripping the bandaid off. I'll work on the spacing :)
If you have ever watched Young Frankenstein ...

"PUT THE CANDLE BANDAID BACK!!!

Also PMs and Alerts have gotten more tweaks to make sure you can tell that they are new and unread:

Alerts:

preview

PMs:

preview

PM Inbox List:

preview

Okay, the alert bar is now my favorite thing

It's such a simple and clean way to show something's unread

Could you send a screenshot it? I don't see any thing different except avatars following along, it is all the exact same spacing in PMs (1600px). It has been 1600px for over a decade.
1644098458684.png
On the right side, it looks fine at first but when you scroll down it becomes very apparent

1644098675290.png

On the point of legibility, I'm wondering if the 'highlight' colours could be made more obvious? Eg. for highlighting a patch of text, or the colour that the buttons (eg. the B for bold or I for italics) change to when active.

I've mentioned this on the discord, but I'm not loving this much at all. Normally change can be good and adapting to that change obviously takes time, but there were no announcements that the interface would update, leaving a lot of users reasonably confused and/or upset. Everything feels clunkier, with large dead-spaces and unclear divisions. Before, I could very obviously tell where someone's signature began and ended, which was nice considering they tended to contain text about either pronouns, roleplays, or just silly jokes. Now, the signatures straight up blend into the text of whatever the person was already typing.

The spacing of the actual posts themselves are weird. The big block of text over the profile image indicating when the post was made is extremely awkward compared to the smaller previous text. Plus when you scroll down it's a bit awkward the logo to bring you back to the homepage isn't there.

Overall, I don't want to be mean about the update, but it feels very much like a step back compared to where we previously were, even if it fixes some issues with coding on mobile and all that. An announcement or conversation about this appearance before just randomly dropping it would have been appreciated. It's a lot easier to just do something and have people just 'get over it' because, well, it's here now and we can't do much about it! Opposed to having forums for a week or so giving suggestions to the team on what they do and don't like about the upcoming update, and allowing for those issues to be resolved or at least worked on before it all drops.

I have ADHD and ASD so I totally understand how hard it can be to get used to change, but it's also important to understand that; especially in this context:

Running and working a website like RPN isn't easy, and though the community of activie users is the driving force behind the website, we don't own it, and it's not required to be what we want.

On the other hand it's incredibly fortunate that we have a staff that actively and openly communicates with users, and takes our input and desires into actual consideration which they're not required to do at all, and that's really special.

I emplor everyone to give suggestions and point out problems as much as possible, to put eyes where the staff can't.

However, I would advise to steer yourself away from harsh words and frustrated remarks. It's ok to complain, just be mindful about it.

An Open Letter, Signed
TerrorKitty

I have ADHD and ASD so I totally understand how hard it can be to get used to change, but it's also important to understand that; especially in this context:

Running and working a website like RPN isn't easy, and though the community of activie users is the driving force behind the website, we don't own it, and it's not required to be what we want.

On the other hand it's incredibly fortunate that we have a staff that actively and openly communicates with users, and takes our input and desires into actual consideration which they're not required to do at all, and that's really special.

I emplor everyone to give suggestions and point out problems as much as possible, to put eyes where the staff can't.

However, I would advise to steer yourself away from harsh words and frustrated remarks. It's ok to complain, just be mindful about it.

An Open Letter, Signed
TerrorKitty
No, it's never a requirement for the users to get what they want, but making announcements about site-wide changes is not a huge thing to ask for. I do appreciate that they are taking feedback about the site now and communicating with users of the website, but I feel like a lot of confusion and annoyance from the active userbase could have been avoided by saying 'Hey, we're going to update the website because BBcode is unfortunately pretty broken on mobile, and we're behind on updates because of certain interface issues. Please be prepared for that change, here's an example of xyz and how it's going to look."

It's never easy to run a website, or a video game, or even a discord server for large communities. I'm sure many users are grateful for a website where they can write freely and find like-minded users when it comes to hobbies. However, it should not be unexpected that those active users who do indeed drive the website might have opinions about how the site is run, and want their feedback to be acknowledged before large changes so they may work with the staff and come to something that's both beneficial to the website in terms of coding, and friendly the user interface without a surprise.

It's never a requirement, but it's a practice that establish more trust between staff and users, and create smoother transitions in the future. I don't find it unreasonable.

No, it's never a requirement for the users to get what they want, but making announcements about site-wide changes is not a huge thing to ask for. I do appreciate that they are taking feedback about the site now and communicating with users of the website, but I feel like a lot of confusion and annoyance from the active userbase could have been avoided by saying 'Hey, we're going to update the website because BBcode is unfortunately pretty broken on mobile, and we're behind on updates because of certain interface issues. Please be prepared for that change, here's an example of xyz and how it's going to look."

It's never easy to run a website, or a video game, or even a discord server for large communities. I'm sure many users are grateful for a website where they can write freely and find like-minded users when it comes to hobbies. However, it should not be unexpected that those active users who do indeed drive the website might have opinions about how the site is fun, and want their feedback to be acknowledged before large changes so they may work with the staff and come to something that's both beneficial to the website in terms of coding, and friendly the user interface without a surprise.

It's never a requirement, but it's a practice that establish more trust between staff and users, and create smoother transitions in the future. I don't find it unreasonable.
I do very much agree.
However what's done is done, the best we can do is hope for clearer communication to user in the future. Everyone has their reasons and no matter what they are, someone is going to be upset no matter how good or bad of a reason it is.

No one in this situation is invalid.

It's never easy to run a website, or a video game, or even a discord server for large communities. I'm sure many users are grateful for a website where they can write freely and find like-minded users when it comes to hobbies. However, it should not be unexpected that those active users who do indeed drive the website might have opinions about how the site is run, and want their feedback to be acknowledged before large changes so they may work with the staff and come to something that's both beneficial to the website in terms of coding, and friendly the user interface without a surprise.

We are usually really good about announcements and sometimes certain things can't be avoided and have to be done faster than one might like. I think our open style of managing the site and all the work we've done has earned us a pretty positive reputation.

I was working on other things that needed updating and fixing and things kinda just cascaded and it ultimately required a software update of the entire board right then and there and the thing in the way of that was a really old style that we've been holding onto for several years. So I picked a new one from one of the few reputable authors that sell themes for this forum software and went with it and bit the bullet. I've spent the last few hours editing it myself and making it feel more like RpN.

I'll make an announcement in a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back