• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Multiple Settings Victorian Gothic/Fantasy/Historical RP Sought

PatchworkPsyche

Hello! My name is Ashley. I am 37-years-old, female, and have been away from the RP world since AOL Instant Messenger was slain. I started in the RP world when I was 12 or 13 in AOL chatrooms like Medieval Tavern. I am not all that tech savvy, but will do my best to figure things out. Willing to play here, through private messages, emails, or can try to figure out Discord. I am an attorney, so occasionally get busy with trials, but most days I am at a computer and could easily take a break to post a few times. I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, so, during the short summer season, my weekends are mostly spent outside enjoying the fleeting warmth and sunshine. That means that weekend posts would be limited to one or two posts in an evening or two after I get back inside after an adventure.

I have played many, many genres over the years from realistic Ancient Greek to Star Wars. My favorites are anything Victorian Gothic. Think The Phantom of the Opera, Frankenstein, and Dracula. I like mystery, adventure, and intrigue. I excel at character and world building. I played a Sidhe for many, many years in a world loosely based on Laurell K. Hamilton's Merry Gentry series. I wouldn't mind getting back to that. I always have lots of ideas and am happy to talk with you about your ideas! I will admit that I am probably not going to understand a lot of popular culture references. I don't watch much television, don't see a lot of movies, and mostly listen to Opera/Showtunes (I was a music performance major before deciding to cross over to the dark side...). I probably won't be familiar with Anime. I do like Marvel Comics, especially X-Men. I am less fond of DC, but do love me some Poison Ivy (redheads unite!). Just be warned that I am unlikely to know about television shows that are less than 5 or so years old. I know, I know... but if you have an *idea* that you are just dying to test out, hit me up!

Hello! My name is Ashley. I am 37-years-old, female, and have been away from the RP world since AOL Instant Messenger was slain. I started in the RP world when I was 12 or 13 in AOL chatrooms like Medieval Tavern. I am not all that tech savvy, but will do my best to figure things out. Willing to play here, through private messages, emails, or can try to figure out Discord. I am an attorney, so occasionally get busy with trials, but most days I am at a computer and could easily take a break to post a few times. I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, so, during the short summer season, my weekends are mostly spent outside enjoying the fleeting warmth and sunshine. That means that weekend posts would be limited to one or two posts in an evening or two after I get back inside after an adventure.

I have played many, many genres over the years from realistic Ancient Greek to Star Wars. My favorites are anything Victorian Gothic. Think The Phantom of the Opera, Frankenstein, and Dracula. I like mystery, adventure, and intrigue. I excel at character and world building. I played a Sidhe for many, many years in a world loosely based on Laurell K. Hamilton's Merry Gentry series. I wouldn't mind getting back to that. I always have lots of ideas and am happy to talk with you about your ideas! I will admit that I am probably not going to understand a lot of popular culture references. I don't watch much television, don't see a lot of movies, and mostly listen to Opera/Showtunes (I was a music performance major before deciding to cross over to the dark side...). I probably won't be familiar with Anime. I do like Marvel Comics, especially X-Men. I am less fond of DC, but do love me some Poison Ivy (redheads unite!). Just be warned that I am unlikely to know about television shows that are less than 5 or so years old. I know, I know... but if you have an *idea* that you are just dying to test out, hit me up!

Hello! My name is Carissa and I saw your thread and figured we might make good RP partners, I have a interest in historical fantasy themes, though I work a busy schedule as a full time store manager so I cannot commit to quite the same time for the game that some of the younger people on this site have. The usual quality of my post does vary based on my partner and their expectation/experience but I myself have been role playing since I was 12 so I have a solid understanding of how this works.

If you would be interested in playing with me I would love to begin to build a world from scratch or if you already had something in mind I would be interested in hearing about your ideas 💡

Hello! My name is Carissa and I saw your thread and figured we might make good RP partners, I have a interest in historical fantasy themes, though I work a busy schedule as a full time store manager so I cannot commit to quite the same time for the game that some of the younger people on this site have. The usual quality of my post does vary based on my partner and their expectation/experience but I myself have been role playing since I was 12 so I have a solid understanding of how this works.

If you would be interested in playing with me I would love to begin to build a world from scratch or if you already had something in mind I would be interested in hearing about your ideas 💡
Hi Carissa! I would love to discuss ideas and get working on something! I don't have any specific ideas at the moment, but can always come up with some.

Hi Carissa! I would love to discuss ideas and get working on something! I don't have any specific ideas at the moment, but can always come up with some.

Awesome 😎 I may have a few ideas to start with if you're interested in them, if not that's perfectly fine but I have been itching to try a setting taking place during the time of the American revolution, though with a fantasy twist. Is this something you would be interested in exploring?

That definitely sounds like something I could be interested in! Tell me more.

The original idea I had was a forbidden romance between a werewolf native and werewolf hunter colonist, however I can see this setting in many various scenarios being a lot of fun.

another idea was a team of mages is sent to the raging colonies to find what is rumoured to be a fountain of mana, magic users had historically used mana for those who have joined their guilds to become mages, but over years of use in the rest of the world, those fountains have begun to dry up amd the guilds are dying. Hoping to find fresh mana to save the magic arts and a long the way have some adventures would be the starting plot for this idea.

If you have anything to contribute to this please do, my ideas are still very rough.

The werewolf and werewolf hunter idea is very interesting. You'll be amused to hear that I am the prosecuting attorney for the Keweenaw Bay Indian Community, so I have actually spent the last 2 1/2 years learning a great deal about Native culture and history. I could definitely be interested in that idea.

The werewolf and werewolf hunter idea is very interesting. You'll be amused to hear that I am the prosecuting attorney for the Keweenaw Bay Indian Community, so I have actually spent the last 2 1/2 years learning a great deal about Native culture and history. I could definitely be interested in that idea.

So you would like to be the werewolf then? Haha that's amazing! I've always found the culture very interesting but I have learned more about the Lakota-Soux than the other tribes so you would probably be more accurate in your character! I don't mind playing a male character for the colonist part should we move forward with this

I am fairly indifferent to the gender of the character I play opposite of. I generally play females. I could play either the Native or the Colonist very easily. Up here, the tribes are Ojibwa, but we get Natives from other tribes for Pow Wow and other events. If I were playing a Colonist, I would be inclined to lean towards Nordic, maybe play on the Viking ancestry and Valkyrie mythology.

I am fairly indifferent to the gender of the character I play opposite of. I generally play females. I could play either the Native or the Colonist very easily. Up here, the tribes are Ojibwa, but we get Natives from other tribes for Pow Wow and other events. If I were playing a Colonist, I would be inclined to lean towards Nordic, maybe play on the Viking ancestry and Valkyrie mythology.

Haha I also usually play female characters with male side characters when the roleplay has been more developed but I am not bothered mixing it up. I like the idea of Viking stuff, would you be a Valkyrie? Or just a descendant?

I am thinking that she would be a descendant, carrying on the family business of hunting monsters. She could either be specifically hunting werewolves because she has something against them like one killed her mother, or she could just be hunting monsters in general and happen to find a werewolf.

I am thinking that she would be a descendant, carrying on the family business of hunting monsters. She could either be specifically hunting werewolves because she has something against them like one killed her mother, or she could just be hunting monsters in general and happen to find a werewolf.

I really like the development you have going on with this character, so you should be the colonist in this play, the backstory of the werewolf guy that I was thinking up is that the wolf blood is more of a piece of culture than a curse, that each tribe is assigned a guardian wolf for protection from war and invaders. The character I would be playing would have spent most of his life from childhood training under his mentor in the ways of taming the wolf within to weaponize it's strength against the tribes enemies. The guardians are something of a selective knight that only have one active per tribe. They could meet because your character has been hunting and killing these guardians my character would be going to stop yours from taking anymore wolves down so that he can rebuild the order.

I think that would work then- she is specifically hunting the wolves because they killed her mother. I am thinking that frightened, ignorant colonists might have caught a glimpse of him now and then and sent word back to her that they needed her to come kill the monsters that are there. She could either be coming specifically for him, or could have just stumbled upon them as a group and started hunting them down one by one.

I think that would work then- she is specifically hunting the wolves because they killed her mother. I am thinking that frightened, ignorant colonists might have caught a glimpse of him now and then and sent word back to her that they needed her to come kill the monsters that are there. She could either be coming specifically for him, or could have just stumbled upon them as a group and started hunting them down one by one.

Ohh here's an idea.... so werewolves are monsters at the end of the day, the natives are just familiar with how to control their wild urges so they don't make humans their prey like in the old tales, however a colonist who may have been turned wouldn't have had that same training therefore attacked their fellow colonist in one of their wolf rages and as a result now the people don't realize they are capable of controlling the beast through the proper training? This would also explain why her mother was killed. The guardians would have had no reason to kill her unless she was threatening their own.

Could be. I figured Werewolves would have also existed over in Europe but the cultural differences likely would have impacted the behavior of the people who were affected. I could well imagine that the Viking Berserkers would have sought out the Change to increase their strength and drive. Thus, you might well end up with a lot of very violent werewolves in Sweden and Norway, but people in North America with different cultures and beliefs could have been turned and handled it completely differently.

Could be. I figured Werewolves would have also existed over in Europe but the cultural differences likely would have impacted the behavior of the people who were affected. I could well imagine that the Viking Berserkers would have sought out the Change to increase their strength and drive. Thus, you might well end up with a lot of very violent werewolves in Sweden and Norway, but people in North America with different cultures and beliefs could have been turned and handled it completely differently.

Well if discussing this universe and it's lore, werewolves over in Europe could have similar training and they could be just as unpredictable if they were to be accidentally turned and refused to properly care for their wolves through letting it out on the full moon where they urge to hunt is strongest. The unfortunate colonist that found themselves accidentally turned might have been a farmer outside the cities who encountered one of these unstable wolves on the full moon and then later because he didn't know what was happening to him just failed to learn any sort of control so went feral and killed a few people resulting in the start of a wolf Hunt that lead to the issue our characters find themselves in.

I could see that being a possibility. I envision her coming from a very rigid, severe culture- lots of battles, lots of warriors and tons of confrontation. It wouldn't occur to her that a werewolf would be anything other than a monster. Honestly, it could even just be as simple as a complete lack of understanding. Valkyries hunt anything that is different because if it is different it is a 'monster'. It probably would never occur to her that something more than human might not be dangerous. Her culture would be the type to hunt dragons, not necessarily because the dragons did anything, but because the dragons were there and were simply assumed to be monsters. So we could either go the route of an insane werewolf, akin to The Beast of Gevaudan, or we could just put it down to the Valkyrie coming from a culture of hunters that simply assume that 'different' means 'evil.' Actually.... the time period would be right, her mother could have been killed trying to take down the Beast of Gevaudan and my character could have been the one to actually kill it. So that would work too.

I could see that being a possibility. I envision her coming from a very rigid, severe culture- lots of battles, lots of warriors and tons of confrontation. It wouldn't occur to her that a werewolf would be anything other than a monster. Honestly, it could even just be as simple as a complete lack of understanding. Valkyries hunt anything that is different because if it is different it is a 'monster'. It probably would never occur to her that something more than human might not be dangerous. Her culture would be the type to hunt dragons, not necessarily because the dragons did anything, but because the dragons were there and were simply assumed to be monsters. So we could either go the route of an insane werewolf, akin to The Beast of Gevaudan, or we could just put it down to the Valkyrie coming from a culture of hunters that simply assume that 'different' means 'evil.' Actually.... the time period would be right, her mother could have been killed trying to take down the Beast of Gevaudan and my character could have been the one to actually kill it. So that would work too.

I feel having the conflict of seeing that some wolves do go feral would add nice drama to this, ignorance could have a hold over her in some ways but I can see other plot points stemming from this issue of "we have a problem with feral wolves"

Well, I could see the Puritans having an issue. I mean, realistically, most of them weren't nice people and were SUPER repressed. If a few Puritans got turned, I could imagine that the new drives and instincts could make them pretty darn nasty.

Well, I could see the Puritans having an issue. I mean, realistically, most of them weren't nice people and were SUPER repressed. If a few Puritans got turned, I could imagine that the new drives and instincts could make them pretty darn nasty.

Ohh yesss. Very good indeed, the guardians would have become aware of this and maybe offering to help but of course the puritans want nothing to do with the naturals so that could be cause for my character to want to partner with a colonist.

Oh yeah, the Puritans would definitely not want any help from Natives, because they think they are superior in basically every way. My character wouldn't really fit in with the Puritans, but would be someone one of them would have called in to hunt the monsters. The Puritans would probably also blame the Natives for bringing a plague of demons and evil spirits causing their people to become monsters.

Oh yeah, the Puritans would definitely not want any help from Natives, because they think they are superior in basically every way. My character wouldn't really fit in with the Puritans, but would be someone one of them would have called in to hunt the monsters. The Puritans would probably also blame the Natives for bringing a plague of demons and evil spirits causing their people to become monsters.

Sounds like we've got a good start going, I'm excited! Should we begin introductions? Are you someone who does character face claims or do you introduce them organically through the role playing? The year we kick this off is may of 1775 when the British begin to send troops in to control the rebellion in the colonies, the characters can certainly interact with the historical side but it can also just be a backdrop to the tension already being felt by the people of the time.

Character name: Kara Thorson

Species: Descendent of a Valkyrie and a son of Thor.

Age: 56 (but appears to be in her late teens or early 20s)

Height: 5'10”

Hair Color: Blonde

Eye Color: Blue

Abilities:

Others- Speaks Danish, Old Norse, Norwegian, German, Italian, French, English, Greek, Latin, Spanish, and Russian.

History:

Her grandmother was the Valkyrie Kara, for whom she is named. Kara was married to Magnus, a son of Thor. Their daughter, Thyra, wed Sigurd, a great Viking Warrior. Thyra was a shield maiden and together, Thyra and Sigurd raised up their daughter in the ways of battle. She was taught to fight with courage and honor; to defend the weak and slay the wicked.

Kara fought alongside her parents in many battles. She slayed monsters who threatened the farms and villages in Denmark, Norway, and Sweden, traveling far and wide to rid the world of dangerous beings who preyed on mortal kind. Her parents likewise were called to destroy the beasts preying on the vulnerable mortals.

One day, Thyra and Sigurd were called to Norway to battle Fenrir, a monstrous Lycanthrope who had been ravaging the hillsides. He killed all he found, eating their hearts and leaving their ruined bodies for the crows. Thyra and Sigurd hunted the beast, tracking him to his lair. But Fenrir was a son of Loki. He was cunning and incredibly strong. Fenrir ripped out Thyra’s throat and gravely injured Sigurd. When Kara found her father, the Change was gripping him. He chose to take his own life rather than become a monster like Fenrir.

While Fenrir was cunning, Kara was moreso. While part of him was led by the urges of a wolf, the other part knew the lust of a man and could not deny it. Kara watched and waited, finding that he often went to a forest pool to drink in the evenings. And so she set a trap for him there. She hid her sword among the boulders at the edge of the pool and stripped off her clothes, baring her beautiful body in the moonlight.

Kara bathed near the edge of the pool and Fenrir took the bait. When he came to drink, he saw the lovely maiden bared to his eyes and slunk up to her, beguiled by her fair face and sensuous curves. Fenrir took his human form, hoping to seduce the maiden, for he too was pleasing to the eye: tall and well-built with silvery hair and bright green eyes. But she knew him by those wolf’s eyes and could see past the deception of his handsome face to the monster concealed beneath.

Fenrir went to the maiden, his honeyed words, however, did not deceive her. But she smiled sweetly and beckoned him close. But when Fenrir moved to embrace her, he received not the kisses he had hoped for but, instead, he got a gut full of cold iron as Kara drove her sword into his belly. She did not give him time to recover before Kara struck off his head, avenging her parents.

But Kara’s work was not over. Fenrir had spread his seed widely throughout the lands and his get spread their curse with their bite. And so, she hunted the children of Fenrir far and wide, determined to rid the earth of their wickedness. She would not rest until the last of the Lycanthropes had been eliminated.

Attachments

• 079.jpg
    079.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 5812005127_ee9bfb2aa0_z.jpg
    5812005127_ee9bfb2aa0_z.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 0
  • 5755396178_e76efe3772_b.jpg
    5755396178_e76efe3772_b.jpg
    311.7 KB · Views: 0
  • image-1.png
    image-1.png