• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Futuristic VANA [ Atticus ]

Elliot doesn't respond to you. You decide to take that as a no and sleep in the cockpit. You eat an MRE and drink some water before you go to sleep.

Atticus wakes up groggy and looks around to see who's awake already. He also checks his stores, to see what might he missing; hopefully nobody was stealing anything. He was very meticulous and scrutinizing in his looking through.

After, Atticus heads to the base of the hill while he stretches, and looks up to see if Elliot, or at least, someone is still there.

It appears that nothing has been taken from your stores. Matthew and Adam are still asleep. Ellen and Ethel are outside, working on the corridor, tying together the pieces of wood together. If all three of your worked on it, you'll get it done today.

Elliot is still on the hill.

"Elliot, I know we're not on the best of terms right now. But are you sure you don't need someone to take over for a few hours?" Atticus questions, now on the hill with him.

"While I'm up here, I'll dig that shellscrape I was talking about; the lookout will be more protected because of it. Ethel and Ellen are working on the corridor between the ship halves, with another person on it it'll be done in no time."

Elliot shakes his head, "Huh? What? What'd you say? Sorry, I was sleeping," Elliot says, groggily.

"I was sayin', I should probably take a shift on lookout and you should go get some rest in the cockpit," Atticus said again, a hint of impatience in his voice. "A lookout is no good to us if he's passed out at his post; given you were up here all night, but if you feel yourself nodding off while you're keeping an eye out, same goes for anyone pulling the job, you should go wake somebody in the ship up to take a turn."

"I sleep with my eyes open. But I'm sure that a few hours of good rest wouldn't hurt. I'll go ahead and go to sleep. See you in a little bit," Elliot says, resting the rifle and the spare ammunition where he was laying and then crawling down the hill to head into the cockpit.

"Sure," is all Atticus says as he gets himself up the hill. "You didn't see anything during your lookout, did you?" he asked as he picked up the rifle, slung it, and moved the ammunition to the side, before using his universal wand to attempt to dig an improvised foxhole which would give him some better protection lying prone on this hill while also giving him vision. It wasn't the only fortification he wanted on this hill, but it was a start.

As Elliot climbed down he told you that he didn't spot anything, no. You dig yourself a little trench with your universal wand. It doesn't take too long to dig a small little hole.

"Alright. When you're ready, Ethel and Ellen are doing some construction on a corridor between the halves of the ship; joining them would be a big help," Atticus said to him, before crouching in the hole with his rifle and beginning to watch the treeline surrounding the settlement, rotating every once and a while and trying to keep a full scan going of the entire area.

This goes on for however long until he either sees something, or someone comes to relieve him.

The hours slip by as Ethel and Ellen tirelessly work on the corridor. Their progress is coming along nicely as the day progresses on.

Atticus, bored on the watch, decides to slip down to the ship to pack a bowl of X-Bud to make everything a bit prettier, but not too much to incapacitate him and make him an ineffective lookout. If anyone is in the ship who's conscious, he'll say hello, but unless they have more to say keep it at that.

After packing his bowl, he'll head up to the hill and smoke it in the shellscrape, before continuing watch, just with everything being a bit more interesting.

A wave of euphoria washes over you as you light up the bowl of X-Bud. Luckily enough, the newcomers haven't found your stash of X-Bud or your smoking paraphernalia. Although, if they find out you were high and gambling with their lives, they might become a little upset.

Although, you're completely correct. After a few minutes since you light the bowl, you start to hear more noises vividly, like bugs chirping in the grass, their wings buzzing as they fly around- and you hear more noises from the forest, too. Luckily enough, though, you don't hear any thunderous footsteps.

Atticus, despite his intoxicated state, does his best to keep focus on the area from which he heard the pick up of noise from. Maybe it was just his brain registering these noises better on account of him being high, but he was also now considering the birdsong getting louder to be a preemptive warning that shit was about to hit the fan.
Atticus adjusted himself often in the shellscrape, it wasn’t very comfortable. It’s when he does this that he looks down at his assault rifle, and notices that the safety is on. He thinks about whether he should turn it off, but ultimately decides to keep it on, wanting to be in complete control of the firearm, meaning not shoot it until he absolutely wanted to. He decided to continue inspecting the gun for a few more moments; he really wanted to get a good look at it. What kind of weaponry, at what kind of tech-level, did that guy in the forest have? Maybe that could clue Atticus in on what kind of soldier he was, the make and model of his rifle? Maybe the Wento refugees would have a better idea.
Despite these in-depth analytical thoughts of the rifle, Atticus’ eyes stray from it and over to the progression on the corridor from Ethel and Ellen, also looking to see if Elliot had joined them yet. If one of them were to look over, he’d offer them a polite smile, before returning his eyes to the treelines surrounding them.

You peer into the forest and the grasses around you. Your head movement erratic as you snap to each new sound that you hear. As you shift from position to position, trying to keep up with the sounds, you decide to take a deeper look at your rifle. It's a fairly standard rifle. You've seen it before, but the differences was this one was painted. You've seen these rifles before when you traveled the stars. Ethel and Ellen were continuing to make good time on the corridor. Elliot had not yet joined them.

Atticus continues his watch, not doing much other than trying to remain vigilant despite being high. If he felt like he couldn't keep watch anymore, he would go into the ship and, if Adam was awake, ask him to take the watch, if not, ask Ethel.

Your high gives you a slight attention boost, but it doesn't effect your overall ability to keep watch. It's a quiet day with the ambient sound of Ethel and Ellen working in the background, hammering away at fasteners and grunting as they erect parts of the corridor.

Atticus smiles as he thinks of the many advantages that came with having those refugees here. Despite their history with the government, it was pretty in the middle of the nowhere out here, and it seemed like it wouldn't be TOO much of a problem, as long as that mechanical beast didn't show up. Atticus was confident that, if he was able to continue to fortify the ship and it's perimeter with these other people, then he could be safe here. Maybe even bring more people into the society; maybe one day, instead of surviving, they could prosper.

Atticus shook these thoughts from his head, finding himself commonly sidetracked by the philosophical, multi-layered qualities of his thoughts right now. Despite still keeping an eye on the treeline subconsciously while he did this, he was going to try to keep his mind's focus also on the area he was meant to be vigilant over right now.

Atticus continues watch, with the same plan about replacement if he gets too tired.

There's the occasional rustle in the leaves of trees, but they're probably just Barbs. Other than that, the hours begin to come and fade as the sun moves lower and lower out of the sky until it's dark. Ellen and Ethel have mostly completed the corridor. Any work needed done will be finished tomorrow, and so will the corridor.

With this, you retire to your bed in the cockpit. You eat an MRE and drink 0.5 liter of water before you go to sleep. The others either don't eat or eat whatever snacks they have on them.

Before heading to bed, Atticus makes sure to confirm that someone goes up to the hill to keep watch with that rifle, telling them to wake someone up if they feel they need to sleep. If Adam is awake now, it will probably be him, if he feels he is in the correct condition to do so.

After, he will eat, drink, and head to bed.

In the morning, he will check and see if the motorized winch has been printed. If so, he will put it out front inside the palisade. If not, well, then it will just continue to print.

Then, he will head out to the corridor construction site and finish the work on it as efficiently as he can, along with anyone else who comes out to join him. That is, unless, no one is on the hill looking out and/or wants to be relieved from his shift. At which moment, Atticus will go back onto lookout.

Elliot decides to take watch for the night since Ethel and Ellen had worked hard, and Matthew and Adam still weren't in the best of shape, with Adam still being asleep.

After around 2 hours, you complete the project thanks to the help of Ethel and Ellen. You now have a secured corridor connecting the cockpit and the posterior end of the ship. Elliot doesn't report any disturbances from last night or during the completion of the project.

Atticus walks over to where Ellen and Ethel are after finishing the construction of the corridor connecting the two halves of the ship with a big smile on his face. “Good job guys, we’re going to be a lot more secure now with this corridor built. But there’s still the problem of the several breaches that are still in the second half of the ship. It shouldn’t be hard to collect a bit more wood and board up those holes; then we would be truly secure. I know you guys have been working hard recently, so if you want, you guys can go and get some rest or do something else, and I’ll work on getting that wood. And if there’s anybody who isn’t busy back at the ship, send them my way so I can get some help?” Atticus said with a smile, before heading out to get more wood, with whoever decided to help him.

Ellen and Ethel decide it's better to be useful than just sit around all day grieving about the past. They decide to come out and help you. Before your trio of people leaves, Elliot asks where you guys are going, after being told that you're just going to collect wood, he tells you to stay in his line of sight in case a hostile would attempt to attack you.

You three start collecting wood, you using the Universal Wand and Ethen and Ellen using the makeshift axes they made.

Atticus continues woodcutting with Ethel and Ellen, all the while keeping a look around just in case something was coming that Elliot didn't spot. During the process, he asks Ethel if she feels like she is capable of holding a gun yet, offering her his pistol if she wanted to be armed.

Ethel says that she thinks that she'll be able to use a pistol, now. She takes it from you and then proceeds cutting wood again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back