• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Vampire Corps of Eldergaard (Ooc)

Main
Here
My idea for eldergaard was always that they had tons of mountainous regions with small pockets of cities and populations where it’s flat. I like to think it’s a lot colder than in Allaria especially the further north you go. I like to imagine there’s glaciers floating around the northernmost part of the continent, and a mix of flat arctic and mountainous regions.

Lanea’s family is nestled in the northern mountains where it’s pretty cold and misty all year round, but not quite in the Extreme Cold zone. They get cool, mild summers and hard winters. The kind of place where it snows in October and melts in late May.

Also, I do actually have a ~sciencey~ reason that Eldergaard has magic and Allaria doesn’t! (All my magic systems are secretly science-based, haha)

So “soul” magic (their image magic) is genetic. In actual science, there’s this study called “epigenetics” that explains why one identical twin can get a disease while the other doesn’t. It’s due to environment. The environment can turn genes on and off or cause them to be more active or less active. Genetics is a WILD field and we hardly know anything about it. ANYWAY I’ve sort of hinted that the land itself is magic. So the environment turns on those magical genes. And since the war between the humans and the clans, the leftover wild magic that generated has caused magical mutations but I haven’t figured out a way to just sort of casually slip that in, lol.

But you might be wondering, could an Allarian who grew up in Eldergaard developed soul magic? Yes and no. The environment can affect genes, but it’s not always going to happen. You’re born with your genes predisposed to be more active or less active, which is why something like mental health is absolutely affected by environmental triggers but also tends to run in families. Someone without the predeposition to turn on the mental health genes won’t be as affected by the environment (also, fun fact, newish research suggests your mental health has a lot to do with what sorts of bacteria live in your intestines!). So it would be more likely that those families in the farmlands close to the borders would have kids with mild magical abilities than someone who move from near Allaria’s capital to Eldergaard would have kids with magic. Great-great grandkids, maybe, but not kids right away.

Also the clans tend to have more specific types of magic because they tend to be secluded from one another and only interact with certain magical triggers while the humans tend to have wider ranges of abilities as they move around more and intermix more. (Clan Draya’s weird magic is a mutation that stuck, ehehe). Everyone in Eldergaard has mild magical ability (hence the belief that everyone can use ward magic. Though, an Allarian who spent time in Eldergaard would be able to learn ward magic).

Also even though magic is innate, a person still needs to practice and hone their skills to become a mage.

Ooooh ok! That is super neat and something I also did not know.
*looks at gut* so the depression was YOUR fault all along!!

also I find this very very fascinating because I established before that Leo’s family has a house near the border they’ve maintained for several generations, which is sort of where the women and children live while the lord of the house typically lives in his city residence to be closer to work. It’s like a blatant display of wealth inequality, but also very pretty because the gardens are BEAUTIFUL.

Claude and his wife live there with their son who is around a year old or so, since Claude has a hard time living in the city. I imagine being physically disabled in Allarian society is easier when you are very wealthy, but the country we have set up does not really seem like it would put a lot of budgeting into accessibility infrastructure.

Most of the sidewalks and doorways are JUST too narrow for his wheelchair. His wife tried to convince him to just get a smaller wheelchair, but he refuses. They need to make their sidewalks and doorways wider, damnit.

I really like the idea of baby vesper having some very mild magical ability because it would drive Elaine NUTS.

Alyx and Astrid would be DELIGHTED to learn Leo’s nibbling has magic and will teach them ALL THE THINGS

Much to Elaine’s horror no doubt

I feel like if everyone went to Elaine’s house she would chase them out with a broom. She does NOT allow anything related to the war or Eldergaard in her living space.

She likes Camellia and Cyn well enough and will invite them in for tea, but when she sees Rose or Finn come by she immediately gets the stink eye and is like if any of you even so much as bring up politics I will sicc the dogs on you.

She’s extremely particular and controls every aspect of the household to her distinct standards and when things fall out of those standards she gets VERY stressed.

in modern times she would be one of those crazy Karen PTA moms who would have an aneurism if she found out that her child swapped lunches at school and ate a regular apple instead of an organic apple.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back