Viewpoint Unpopular roleplay opinions?

This is very true. I'm playing one character now who is a revolutionary. Because he's a revolutionary he has committed some atrocities himself. However, he justifies his being a revolutionary by how much he and his family suffered under the previous regime. I feel like without that suffering in his backstory some of the actions he has taken would be difficult to justify.

This is it. I mean, even if you think about the morality of a character, it’s not always just “good vs evil”. There’s so much layers and complexities that make a person who they are - how they rationalize their behaviour. I think that’s a great backstory for a very interesting revolutionary character.

That's actually pretty realistic, as the vast majority will always grasp at some sort of justification to their actions (regardless of their severity). Vary rarely do you have the monsters that willfully do harm just for the sake of it and are utterly uncaring about it. Even the Nazis believed they were in the right.

Exactly. I have written Nazi characters in the past. Not all of them had traumatic backstories, but they were somehow brainwashed and genuinely believed they were in the right. One I wrote fairly recently was actually best friends with a Jew while growing up, but then all the economic troubles started and such, causing the family to turn towards Nazi ideals. Of course that meant the children were brainwashed.

<--- has written Fantasy settings with slavery, sexism, diseases spreading across the land, and terrible natural disasters. Fantasy genre comes in all flavors. Keeping the uglier and more tragic parts of life out of the story doesn't make them any less a fantasy. If anything, omitting these elements makes the narrative a lot more... boring. But that's just my opinion.

My point was more specifically in the difference between a romantic fantasy and a fantasy setting.

I wasn’t saying fantasy setting had to be any one particular thing. Just that it’s not the same as a romantic fantasy.

I just prefer fantasy in the sense that - “oh there is no racism or sexism or COVID or climate change. instead we all get to keep little magical dragon pets and brew fun potions out of our kitchens.”

Not really fantasy in the sense of people’s interactions.
<--- has written Fantasy settings with slavery, sexism, diseases spreading across the land, and terrible natural disasters. Fantasy genre comes in all flavors. Keeping the uglier and more tragic parts of life out of the story doesn't make them any less a fantasy. If anything, omitting these elements makes the narrative a lot more... boring. But that's just my opinion.

I love a good dark RP, thick with strife and turmoil for the characters RP. What I took from nerdy tangents comment, especially seeing the conversation previously about not doing wishy washy ships, and not fantasy people's interactions, wasn't that the RP had to be G-Rated. Just a different world from what was happening on the news. Because while using real life events for inspiration it can get old fast being hit by people at work complaining about the news and then coming home to hear about it in what is suppose to be a game. Especially as I have dealt with a couple of RPers (one IRL) that loves going way too FAR with the racism and even sexism concept in RPs every time he watches the news. To the point you end the RP because it won't move with the characters your playing unless you basically wimp out your characters to try to please his one dimensional character who's only personality is negative traits. And please his sense of overly using the game to vent his being mad at things in the world. Because yeah, of course the only way to get a mission in the game is from that ONE piece of (censored) that won't talk to my characters for some racist reason. Their are also a lot of freaking politics in his RPs if he's mad at the news.

I prefer playing a fantasy that while it has horrible people who do evil things that mean you need to take it serious if I ask if you have triggers the fantasy is it's not real life. Their is still trouble exploding everywhere but it's not a total reflection of all the trouble in real life.

And most important don't expect people to dumb down building a character's personality to suit the fantasy of how they react to your character.

I love a good dark RP, thick with strife and turmoil for the characters RP. What I took from nerdy tangents comment, especially seeing the conversation previously about not doing wishy washy ships, and not fantasy people's interactions, wasn't that the RP had to be G-Rated. Just a different world from what was happening on the news. Because while using real life events for inspiration it can get old fast being hit by people at work complaining about the news and then coming home to hear about it in what is suppose to be a game. Especially as I have dealt with a couple of RPers (one IRL) that loves going way too FAR with the racism and even sexism concept in RPs every time he watches the news. To the point you end the RP because it won't move with the characters your playing unless you basically wimp out your characters to try to please his one dimensional character who's only personality is negative traits. And please his sense of overly using the game to vent his being mad at things in the world. Because yeah, of course the only way to get a mission in the game is from that ONE piece of (censored) that won't talk to my characters for some racist reason. Their are also a lot of freaking politics in his RPs if he's mad at the news.

I prefer playing a fantasy that while it has horrible people who do evil things that mean you need to take it serious if I ask if you have triggers the fantasy is it's not real life. Their is still trouble exploding everywhere but it's not a total reflection of all the trouble in real life.

And most important don't expect people to dumb down building a character's personality to suit the fantasy of how they react to your character.

Different strokes for different folks I guess since I do plenty of RP's based on real world events. Granted, they're usually not current events. I tend to stick to historical settings.

I also don't know who you're referring to specifically here, but it sounds like something even I would get annoyed by. I'm a character driven writer so one-dimensional characters sound boring as hell. I don't mind racism and other forms of bigotry in my RPs either as long as it doesn't pour into OOC interactions.

Idk if it's unpopular or not, but sometimes I need to read an RP that I hate in order to motivate me to make something else.

Different strokes for different folks I guess since I do plenty of RP's based on real world events. Granted, they're usually not current events. I tend to stick to historical settings.

I also don't know who you're referring to specifically here, but it sounds like something even I would get annoyed by. I'm a character driven writer so one-dimensional characters sound boring as hell. I don't mind racism and other forms of bigotry in my RPs either as long as it doesn't pour into OOC interactions.

Using events, especially history for inspiration is quite different from using RP to push your opinion and vent out your anger on the world to your RP partners.

Oh no, no one on here. In fact the worst offender was someone I sadly know IRL. You literally can't even talk history with that guy. He loves to play those historical fantasy video games about China and Japan and complain.

Okay here. I'll say it as it is.

Complex BBcodes are absolute trash. Give me a simple one please, not one where I need to solve a goddamn nuclear bomb code to see all the information related to a roleplay or a character. I once saw a code where I legit thought no info has been written. I only found out randomly that you need to click a very specific point/button to see all the info.
If you wanna use one of these codes, at least gimme a spoiler without the fancy code OR a mobile-friendly version.

Okay here. I'll say it as it is.

Complex BBcodes are absolute trash. Give me a simple one please, not one where I need to solve a goddamn nuclear bomb code to see all the information related to a roleplay or a character. I once saw a code where I legit thought no info has been written. I only found out randomly that you need to click a very specific point/button to see all the info.
If you wanna use one of these codes, at least gimme a spoiler without the fancy code OR a mobile-friendly version.
I like a little coding here and there to give the page a little aesthetic to the read. But I've seen some BBCode on here that has windows inside windows and you have to scroll down, and then there are tabs within the windows... yeah, that's a bit much. I don't even bother trying to get through it, even if the title sounded interesting. Just a heads up to the peeps who think this kind of coding is cute. It's actually a deterrent to a lot of people (not an unpopular opinion). ;-)

There are definitely BBCode formats with very bad UX, even with mobile-unfriendliness aside. I give their developers the benefit of the doubt in some cases because everyone needs a chance to learn. I do think it's a problem when people get too hung up on aesthete. Play by post roleplaying is about reading and writing first and foremost. Anything that makes that harder is a disruption to the hobby. That includes tiny, scrolling boxes. Just stretch the page, please. It's so much easier to look at the text, especially because some of those windows just don't work that well and will sometimes prevent lines of text from being read.

Also, I don't really like literacy tags, considering that everyone seems to have some degree of personal interpretation on each category anyway, but I don't care much for post length requirements in general. Being able to write more than 500 words per post doesn't necessarily equate to competency, and I find a certain irony in a GM saying they want quality over quantity while in the same breath demanding such a word count. Not every response necessitates so many words. The way I see it, you introduce the chance of fluff, and that's absolute drudgery to read, or someone being unable to post, either because they weren't given enough to react to or because they're too busy with life to sit down and create a response longer than a paragraph or two, and those things kill groups.

I mean, seriously, when did roleplaying become a school essay? Lol. I've interacted with players who write a couple of small paragraphs on average and others who tend toward longer posts, and there are shining examples from both camps, just as much as there are rubbish examples. GMs who gatekeep on word count narrow the pool on strong players.

... Being able to write more than 500 words per post doesn't necessarily equate to competency...
This. So much this. I've said it so many times before, but I'll say it again:

Post length does not equate to literacy!

(I'm glad someone else gets it)

Not every response necessitates so many words. The way I see it, you introduce the chance of fluff, and that's absolute drudgery to read, or someone being unable to post, either because they weren't given enough to react to or because they're too busy with life to sit down and create a response longer than a paragraph or two, and those things kill groups.

Personally, I easily fill a paragraph before even getting to the finish of my responses. The exception to this being dialogue responses. Those always tend to be shorter because it is just conversational back-and-forth. Otherwise, I never let myself get away with anything less than 1 strong paragraph. But if I really get into it, I can drop 800+ words on a single post. But I will say this, it definitely makes it a taxing event to have to respond all the time. If a rotation is moving too quickly, posting in my usual manner loses its element of fun and becomes a chore. So if a GM is requiring long, eloquent posts, they should be giving the players a longer time for responses.

I mean, seriously, when did roleplaying become a school essay? Lol. I've interacted with players who write a couple of small paragraphs on average and others who tend toward longer posts, and there are shining examples from both camps, just as much as there are rubbish examples. GMs who gatekeep on word count narrow the pool on strong players.

I think the post length requirements stem from the GM having bad past experiences with players giving minimal effort in their posts, when they have put their heart and soul into creating a setting for them. Length/literacy requirement is essentially saying, "I don't want any half-hearted posts in my RP".

I really don't GM anymore. But when I did, I would set some general post requirements. I wasn't counting words. But three sentence responses were a definite no go. Multi-para was preferred (with the exception of dialogue), but a single, strong paragraph was totally acceptable. To compliment this, as a GM I would lay out detailed responses to each player. I would give them nuanced choices in their actions, left as suggestions in the narrative for them to interpret (or not). I would give them situations that provoked their character's background and persona. I gave them a lot to develop and immerse their characters with. Given all this, I most definitely did not want to be met with a paltry 3 or 4 sentence response. I imagine these other GMs are in similar situations. However, if the GM is putting out a half-assed plot progression, and is expecting the PCs to do all the heavy lifting... well, I can understand why their group would stall out.

Also, I don't really like literacy tags, considering that everyone seems to have some degree of personal interpretation on each category anyway, but I don't care much for post length requirements in general. Being able to write more than 500 words per post doesn't necessarily equate to competency,
This. So much this. I've said it so many times before, but I'll say it again:

Post length does not equate to literacy!

(I'm glad someone else gets it)

I personally can't visualize what and how long a post is if you give me an arbitrary measurement with words. I'm not a Google/Word Document, I have no idea what that looks like, nor do I really care to copy+paste my response to my word document to check how long it is. It kind of frustrates me a little bit when I see people in interest checks saying they do "x amount of words or characters per post". Like, I can visualize it better if they go with sentences or even paragraphs, but it is an average and I would much prefer they say "I may make large posts that are rather detailed" or "my posts tend to span a few sentences and they may either be succinctly detailed or just rather simple" so I can get a better gist of what they are talking about.

Not saying they should stop doing that. Some people can imagine what that looks like, but given I don't count the sentences in my posts, much less my words (and god forbid characters), I prefer they don't also expect people to give a vague number of how much they do. I do most of my posts on the site I'm on, so I don't have access to a word count, nor do I want to feel like I'm trying to meet a page or word length for one of my writing classes in high school.

I came here to hone my writing skills, yes, but don't make me feel like I'm in my worst performing class when I'm RPing. xD

And competency doesn't equate to how long a post length is. I have seen many long running fanfiction that are rather terrible and look like it was made by a 5-year-old, but none of it really made any sense, even if the chapters spanned a dozen or so pages.

ah, i hope you guys aren’t talking about this stuff based off what i posted around here earlier xD. i was not arguing in my own post in this thread that post length = literacy!! unless you guys are just talking in general or something :-P.

unlike Merciless Medic Merciless Medic , i can definitely visualize word counts, so maybe that’s why i prefer word counts much more than just “i’m advanced lit”. i just like having an idea of what my rp partners can put out, i really don’t care about post length, so i just don’t want to scare a partner off when i send like a 800 word post while they though “semi-lit” meant like 300 words. it’s all in the content, of course, not the amount of words you need to put on a page. but some people get really caught off guard by post lengths sometimes.

to me, a rp partner saying that they do “5 sentences” doesn’t help me at all, because there are loooooooooooooong sentences, and there are short sentences. just saying “i usually do 200 words per reply” gives me a sense of what i can expect their content to look like in advance, so we don’t have *too* much style differences in the end. really, i just like people being honest with me what they can do, because that makes the rp fun for both of us :-). i don’t have any post length requirements or anything along those lines (other than..one liners, but that’s a given).

hopefully I’m making sense with what i’m saying when i say i do like knowing what people can write xD.

ah, i hope you guys aren’t talking about this stuff based off what i posted around here earlier xD. i was not arguing in my own post in this thread that post length = literacy!! unless you guys are just talking in general or something :-P.

unlike Merciless Medic Merciless Medic , i can definitely visualize word counts, so maybe that’s why i prefer word counts much more than just “i’m advanced lit”. i just like having an idea of what my rp partners can put out, i really don’t care about post length, so i just don’t want to scare a partner off when i send like a 800 word post while they though “semi-lit” meant like 300 words. it’s all in the content, of course, not the amount of words you need to put on a page. but some people get really caught off guard by post lengths sometimes.

to me, a rp partner saying that they do “5 sentences” doesn’t help me at all, because there are loooooooooooooong sentences, and there are short sentences. just saying “i usually do 200 words per reply” gives me a sense of what i can expect their content to look like in advance, so we don’t have *too* much style differences in the end. really, i just like people being honest with me what they can do, because that makes the rp fun for both of us :-). i don’t have any post length requirements or anything along those lines (other than..one liners, but that’s a given).

hopefully I’m making sense with what i’m saying when i say i do like knowing what people can write xD.

I had no idea you had made anything, so you're good XD

Yea, literacy tags are rather subjective. If they have made RP posts in group RPs or public before, I'll just do a bit of digging to find it. If not, then I'll figure it out when they make a post for me to respond to. XD I have RPed with many people with varying different styles, and I don't exactly mind any of these styles. I mean, people can send examples of past RP posts they've done (that they are alright with showing and is up-to-date with how they do things), so their partner can get the gist of how well they work.

While I do understand that asking for RP samples is rather lame and feels like you are being judged, I did this quite often on another RP site where the overall RP rules were literally "have 3 sentences per post; otherwise it's spam" and I weeded out the applicants before they made posts in my group RPs because new members didn't read the RP rules (or didn't care) and ended up making one-liners anyway (also didn't help that having at least literate grammar was a part of the site's rules, so I did that to erase some of the headache). I really don't care if it's a 1x1 though. XD that's different.

I do understand having RP partners be honest with you and you expecting what you are getting into before getting surprised. I usually get surprised by the writing style of my partner anyway, so I tend to have everything be a surprise and accommodate accordingly to what they are used to. But I'm glad you don't have any post length requirements XD I see it sometimes and I'm just like "uhhh...... wut m8?"

I mean, if I'm able to make an equally long response to your reply, then I'm pretty sure someone other than myself has an understanding with what you are saying.

I personally can't visualize what and how long a post is if you give me an arbitrary measurement with words. I'm not a Google/Word Document, I have no idea what that looks like, nor do I really care to copy+paste my response to my word document to check how long it is. It kind of frustrates me a little bit when I see people in interest checks saying they do "x amount of words or characters per post". Like, I can visualize it better if they go with sentences or even paragraphs, but it is an average and I would much prefer they say "I may make large posts that are rather detailed" or "my posts tend to span a few sentences and they may either be succinctly detailed or just rather simple" so I can get a better gist of what they are talking about.

Not saying they should stop doing that. Some people can imagine what that looks like, but given I don't count the sentences in my posts, much less my words (and god forbid characters), I prefer they don't also expect people to give a vague number of how much they do. I do most of my posts on the site I'm on, so I don't have access to a word count, nor do I want to feel like I'm trying to meet a page or word length for one of my writing classes in high school.

I came here to hone my writing skills, yes, but don't make me feel like I'm in my worst performing class when I'm RPing. xD

And competency doesn't equate to how long a post length is. I have seen many long running fanfiction that are rather terrible and look like it was made by a 5-year-old, but none of it really made any sense, even if the chapters spanned a dozen or so pages.
Exactly. One person's paragraph might encompass more words than the following two put together. And what is considered to be "a lot" by one person, might be "too much" or "not enough" by another. It's all very relative and personal. But I think setting a limit with an actual number of words is a bit anal retentive. The same could be said with the literacy of a post. But I think most people just want to be able to make sense of what others write, with minimal spelling and grammatical errors.

I find that asking and/or submitting writing prompts is the best way for a GM to vet players, and visa versa. This way, both parties will know if the RP is a good fit for their writing style, and no one is peeved over wasting their time down the line after the RP has started. It may seem a little bit like gatekeeping. But imo, it's just a courtesy to make sure everyone will get along with their different RP styles.

Nah. No one's arguing over anything. This is most definitely a generalized talk. And as far as I can tell, everyone is on friendly terms about it. ;-)

As I mentioned before, one person's "Advanced lit" may not be what the other person had in mind. Whether this be for 1x1 pairings or a group RP. Terms like that are so vague and open to interpretation that they might as well not even be used as a metric. Take a 13 y/o new to the RP scene, for example. Their vantage of a highly literate post would be considerably different than what an English major in college would consider one to be. These are of course, extreme examples. But it's just to show the degree of variance that using these terms allows for interpretation.

Again, I find it best to give/receive examples. That way everyone is on the same page.

Naw, I'm not. I admit I didn't read anything before this last page, lol.

I think the post length requirements stem from the GM having bad past experiences with players giving minimal effort in their posts, when they have put their heart and soul into creating a setting for them. Length/literacy requirement is essentially saying, "I don't want any half-hearted posts in my RP".

I really don't GM anymore. But when I did, I would set some general post requirements. I wasn't counting words. But three sentence responses were a definite no go. Multi-para was preferred (with the exception of dialogue), but a single, strong paragraph was totally acceptable. To compliment this, as a GM I would lay out detailed responses to each player. I would give them nuanced choices in their actions, left as suggestions in the narrative for them to interpret (or not). I would give them situations that provoked their character's background and persona. I gave them a lot to develop and immerse their characters with. Given all this, I most definitely did not want to be met with a paltry 3 or 4 sentence response. I imagine these other GMs are in similar situations. However, if the GM is putting out a half-assed plot progression, and is expecting the PCs to do all the heavy lifting... well, I can understand why their group would stall out.

That's fair! There are definitely extreme short lengths that are reasonable to disallow, and even something as vague as asking for multiple paragraphs per reply seems tolerable to me. It sounds like our opinions are pretty aligned.

Exactly. One person's paragraph might encompass more words than the following two put together. And what is considered to be "a lot" by one person, might be "too much" or "not enough" by another. It's all very relative and personal. But I think setting a limit with an actual number of words is a bit anal retentive. The same could be said with the literacy of a post. But I think most people just want to be able to make sense of what others write, with minimal spelling and grammatical errors.

I find that asking and/or submitting writing prompts is the best way for a GM to vet players, and visa versa. This way, both parties will know if the RP is a good fit for their writing style, and no one is peeved over wasting their time down the line after the RP has started. It may seem a little bit like gatekeeping. But imo, it's just a courtesy to make sure everyone will get along with their different RP styles.

Nah. No one's arguing over anything. This is most definitely a generalized talk. And as far as I can tell, everyone is on friendly terms about it. ;-)

As I mentioned before, one person's "Advanced lit" may not be what the other person had in mind. Whether this be for 1x1 pairings or a group RP. Terms like that are so vague and open to interpretation that they might as well not even be used as a metric. Take a 13 y/o new to the RP scene, for example. Their vantage of a highly literate post would be considerably different than what an English major in college would consider one to be. These are of course, extreme examples. But it's just to show the degree of variance that using these terms allows for interpretation.

Again, I find it best to give/receive examples. That way everyone is on the same page.

haha, was just making sure :-), since i was the one to bring up literacy earlier :-P.

see, with rp samples, i DO feel bad for asking for them, like Merciless Medic Merciless Medic said before. i feel like...i’m intruding, if that makes even some amount of sense xD. i just feel like i’m overstepping my boundaries if i ask “hey, could you show me something you intended for only one person to see?” even if they’re willing to, i still feel bad. might just be a Cealen Thing (tm) that I have :’).

even when i do get writing samples, I’m like...ok...and move on. i don’t want people feeling like they gotta “prove” something to me, i guess, but of course, i can see why some people ask for them. i stay away from group rps now (too overwhelming for me), so maybe just with 1x1s being the only thing i do it’s different. :thonk:.

haha, was just making sure :-), since i was the one to bring up literacy earlier :-P.

see, with rp samples, i DO feel bad for asking for them, like Merciless Medic Merciless Medic said before. i feel like...i’m intruding, if that makes even some amount of sense xD. i just feel like i’m overstepping my boundaries if i ask “hey, could you show me something you intended for only one person to see?” even if they’re willing to, i still feel bad. might just be a Cealen Thing (tm) that I have :’).

even when i do get writing samples, I’m like...ok...and move on. i don’t want people feeling like they gotta “prove” something to me, i guess, but of course, i can see why some people ask for them. i stay away from group rps now (too overwhelming for me), so maybe just with 1x1s being the only thing i do it’s different. :thonk:.
It's been brought up a couple times before that I've seen. I'm sure it will be brought up again. lol

I actually enjoy giving examples. Especially if I've been given a prompt. I get to stretch my creative muscles, so to speak.

I've never felt bad about asking for examples. the way I see it, I'm doing a favor to everyone involved by making sure that we can mesh well. It saves frustration in the long run. And if people are irked by having to give you a little writing sample, what the hell are they even doing on a site that functions on writing interactions?

Anyhow... i feel we've strayed off course. Someone should give another "unpopular" opinion. lol

People make too big a deal over writing disabled characters. Believe it or not, a lot, I think most people with a disability, mental or physical, just... live with it.

In fairness depending on the disability it can be hard to visualize how you live with it if you have no frame of reference.

Like depression. It’s not as simple as being sad all the time, but unless you have depression yourself or talk to someone who does, then your kinda left with pop culture references.

Which in general are mild to moderate yikes or just so vague as to be useless.

Now that said just asking people for their own experience and building from there is not difficult at all. So I will give you that point.

In fairness depending on the disability it can be hard to visualize how you live with it if you have no frame of reference.

Like depression. It’s not as simple as being sad all the time, but unless you have depression yourself or talk to someone who does, then your kinda left with pop culture references.

Which in general are mild to moderate yikes or just so vague as to be useless.

Now that said just asking people for their own experience and building from there is not difficult at all. So I will give you that point.

I understand that it can be difficult to write without prior experience, but I was more referring to them blowing it out of proportion. I'm disabled physically and to some extent I am mentally as well. But it's not... a Major Big Deal That I Reference Every Other Time I Talk. Because, y'know. I have a personality. I just live with it. It effects me but isn't all I am, y'know?

I understand that it can be difficult to write without prior experience, but I was more referring to them blowing it out of proportion. I'm disabled physically and to some extent I am mentally as well. But it's not... a Major Big Deal That I Reference Every Other Time I Talk. Because, y'know. I have a personality. I just live with it. It effects me but isn't all I am, y'know?

Fair enough. I think that’s sort of what I mean. A lot of able bodied people just can't understand exactly where a disability affects your life and where it doesn’t.

I have found having someone with the disability explain things is very helpful. So maybe next time someone makes a character or tells you there nervous just give them a few broad ideas on how you deal with your own issues. Nothing you aren't comfortable sharing but just enough go show them how a disability actually affects your life instead of whatever garbage pop culture reference they are basing things on.

(it's what I do with mental illness.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back