Other Unpopular Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Headcanon (or head canon, head-canon) is a fan's personal, idiosyncratic interpretation of canon, such as habits of a character, the backstory of a character, or the nature of relationships between characters. The term comes from the fact that it is the canon that exists in a fan's head. "

I am not having a "headcannon." I am a participant of its own, personalized world. Inspired by Armored Core, and other Mech(a) genres/games. Which is removed from the idea of fandoms through proxy of independence.

Headcanon is just a fandom with individual whims attached, something I do not like. Because I do not much care for fandoms nor headcanons.

"Headcanon (or head canon, head-canon) is a fan's personal, idiosyncratic interpretation of canon, such as habits of a character, the backstory of a character, or the nature of relationships between characters. The term comes from the fact that it is the canon that exists in a fan's head. "

I am not having a "headcannon." I am a participant of its own, personalized world. Inspired by Armored Core, and other Mech(a) genres/games. Which is removed from the idea of fandoms through proxy of independence.

Headcanon is just a fandom with individual whims attached, something I do not like. Because I do not much care for fandoms nor headcanons.
Sure, whatever you say. This is just "well I'll do what I like but judge anyone else". You're the sort of person that would play a "Grey Jedi" but then criticise the hell out of anyone that broke the canon by the slightest fraction.

Sure, whatever you say. This is just "well I'll do what I like but judge anyone else". You're the sort of person that would play a "Grey Jedi" but then criticise the hell out of anyone that broke the canon by the slightest fraction.

Your hostility is not desired for reasonable communication. But to bridge this gap, I suppose I have to reiterate and re-word; "And headcanon is not inspiration as I see it; it is the insertion of personal desire upon another work. Use that inspiration to make something wholly your own instead."

To make it more obvious what I mean, since it appears to have been lost:

I do not see headcanon as a source for inspiration in and of itself, but rather the universe it comes from. Take the canon for inspiration and use it to make something wholly your own.

Something which is wholly your own is not, should not, and really cannot be something unique. We must remember that nothing is unique. Any and all ideas have been had at least once, but why does that matter? If fiction A has a kingdom with a drunken king and an angry mob wanting to kill him, then use that inspiration to come up with a story of your own, or roleplay in this case, where arbitrary ruler B has angered the mobs. Within that mob is your own character. Explore from there.

Fiction is a fantastic place to gain inspiration for works of your own, but I do not like working within an already established fiction.

Am I being clearer?

Your hostility is not desired for reasonable communication. But to bridge this gap, I suppose I have to reiterate and re-word; "And headcanon is not inspiration as I see it; it is the insertion of personal desire upon another work. Use that inspiration to make something wholly your own instead."

To make it more obvious what I mean, since it appears to have been lost:

I do not see headcanon as a source for inspiration in and of itself, but rather the universe it comes from. Take the canon for inspiration and use it to make something wholly your own.

Something which is wholly your own is not, should not, and really cannot be something unique. We must remember that nothing is unique. Any and all ideas have been had at least once, but why does that matter? If fiction A has a kingdom with a drunken king and an angry mob wanting to kill him, then use that inspiration to come up with a story of your own, or roleplay in this case, where arbitrary ruler B has angered the mobs. Within that mob is your own character. Explore from there.

Fiction is a fantastic place to gain inspiration for works of your own, but I do not like working within an already established fiction.

Am I being clearer?
Honestly that first line makes me think you're either Mark Zuckerberg or a Vulcan, I didn't realise I was chatting to an AI.

I suppose I'll have to repeat myself as well. Headcannons are often what people develop and use before they leap into doing their own stories. Many people start writing stories or role plays before the age of eighteen and they have to start somewhere. We inherently copy the things around us so headcannons are the first step in creative writing, because it's looking at something and seeing how it could be different.

So if you remove headcannons... not only have you likely just wrecked loads of people's experiences of various fandoms, but you stifle creativity. Also, fandoms continue to live on because they are dynamic and their followers bring new things to the discussion table, if you remove that many fandoms will just die out all together.

Honestly that first line makes me think you're either Mark Zuckerberg or a Vulcan, I didn't realise I was chatting to an AI.

I suppose I'll have to repeat myself as well. Headcannons are often what people develop and use before they leap into doing their own stories. Many people start writing stories or role plays before the age of eighteen and they have to start somewhere. We inherently copy the things around us so headcannons are the first step in creative writing, because it's looking at something and seeing how it could be different.

So if you remove headcannons... not only have you likely just wrecked loads of people's experiences of various fandoms, but you stifle creativity. Also, fandoms continue to live on because they are dynamic and their followers bring new things to the discussion table, if you remove that many fandoms will just die out all together.

You put me in a position of difficulty, not because I necessarily agree, but because I feel like you are not respondent to what I am trying to portray. Resulting in a cyclical development which, I can only presume, would devolve over time into unproductivity.

I will try again.

Firstly, I do not think headcanon should exist because it encroaches on another fiction, which ultimately, I believe does in fact hamper long-term growth and literary independence. Just like you mention many people start their writing hobby through fandoms, I will mention that many people were brought up writing their own, admittedly bad, inspirational works, trying their damndest to make something 'their own' and not plastered onto the umbrella of another fictional setting. It was obviously bad, but all who begin are bad, so it is nothing worth mentioning. It is a better start-off point.

If I had this hypothetical power to remove headcanon, I would not suddenly remove the creativity of individuals. They would find different avenues to present themselves.

Secondly, fandoms did not always exist, yet stories are as old as time. Fandoms are an avenue by which new interest is garnered into the site and anywhere else, but it is also a trap by which focus is drawn and centralized (my opinion). I find many individuals who do not take the next leap in writing and pursue their own fiction. Which objectively isn't wrong, but it isn't what I, subjectively, want. Not to mention the fact that I grew up writing during a time where fandoms weren't nearly as prevalent as present. It is a growing thing which has garnered majority presence within recent years. It is by no means essential to developing writers, but it is how many writers develope today; notice how those two are seperate matters. This does not mean that writers of fandom/headcanon cannot pursue their own worlds or independent settings, I am merely saying their development to that point is hampered.

Colour me old-fashioned, but I do not see headcanons as nearly unassailable as they seem portrayed through your defense of them, instead preferring people to try their damndest to take inspiration from fiction and try their hardest to make their own thing, explicitly not 'make their own thing of a fiction.'

Naturally, of course, we come to the topic which I have heretofore ignored: headcanon so far removed from canon that it becomes its own setting. I suppose that is more along my type of "headcanon."

If this does not ease our discourse, I will have to depart.

• the 9-5 setup most people live and strive for is a waste of our lives. i understand the necessity of having to work hard and that putting in effort is the only way to get good results out of anything. but we shouldn't have to spend the majority of our lives at jobs, away from home and away from family. we should be able to work from home. it angers me all the time that the vast majority of the world's population is forced to live that 9-5 life in order to survive and is wasting their lives. though i'm happy for those who like their jobs, i think life would be better if we could do more work from home, like we did in the past.
  • i think chubby women and men are super attractive. i also think that men aren't given enough love/support when it comes to their bodies and people need to remember that men can have self-image issues and hate their bodies like girls, too.
  • on the same kind of note, though, i think when people who fight for body positivity and acceptance say that people who don't find overweight bodies attractive are bigots, they're wrong. somebody is not fat-shaming if they aren't personally sexually attracted to fat people. you can't make someone attracted to people they're not. there are plenty of people out there (LIKE ME) that think chubbiness is beautiful.
  • i love modern cartoons (like steven universe, gravity falls, over the garden wall, etc) but kind of hated adventure time. i didn't think it was good. for some reason it really annoyed me and i can't really say why
  • fullmetal alchemist is the king of anime and once you watch it, you have seen the peak of anime. you will never see another anime that comes even close to as good as it.

I love your thoughts
They are resplendent and, in this world and time, underappreciated most sorely.

You put me in a position of difficulty, not because I necessarily agree, but because I feel like you are not respondent to what I am trying to portray. Resulting in a cyclical development which, I can only presume, would devolve over time into unproductivity.

I will try again.

Firstly, I do not think headcanon should exist because it encroaches on another fiction, which ultimately, I believe does in fact hamper long-term growth and literary independence. Just like you mention many people start their writing hobby through fandoms, I will mention that many people were brought up writing their own, admittedly bad, inspirational works, trying their damndest to make something 'their own' and not plastered onto the umbrella of another fictional setting. It was obviously bad, but all who begin are bad, so it is nothing worth mentioning. It is a better start-off point.

If I had this hypothetical power to remove headcanon, I would not suddenly remove the creativity of individuals. They would find different avenues to present themselves.

Secondly, fandoms did not always exist, yet stories are as old as time. Fandoms are an avenue by which new interest is garnered into the site and anywhere else, but it is also a trap by which focus is drawn and centralized (my opinion). I find many individuals who do not take the next leap in writing and pursue their own fiction. Which objectively isn't wrong, but it isn't what I, subjectively, want. Not to mention the fact that I grew up writing during a time where fandoms weren't nearly as prevalent as present. It is a growing thing which has garnered majority presence within recent years. It is by no means essential to developing writers, but it is how many writers develope today; notice how those two are seperate matters. This does not mean that writers of fandom/headcanon cannot pursue their own worlds or independent settings, I am merely saying their development to that point is hampered.

Colour me old-fashioned, but I do not see headcanons as nearly unassailable as they seem portrayed through your defense of them, instead preferring people to try their damndest to take inspiration from fiction and try their hardest to make their own thing, explicitly not 'make their own thing of a fiction.'

Naturally, of course, we come to the topic which I have heretofore ignored: headcanon so far removed from canon that it becomes its own setting. I suppose that is more along my type of "headcanon."

If this does not ease our discourse, I will have to depart.
Yeah, I don't agree. But as you clearly don't get the idea of progress and how children actually develop, I'll drop it.

Please don't kill me--

I absolutely despise Steven's universe, adventure time, American dad, Futurama and the like.
I don't know, i just find them annoying, to be honest, actually down to the way the characters are drawn.
That modern cartoon art style... Thing... I don't know, it makes me cringe...
Oddly enough I do like the Simpsons though!

Please don't kill me--

I absolutely despise Steven's universe, adventure time, American dad, Futurama and the like.
I don't know, i just find them annoying, to be honest, actually down to the way the characters are drawn.
That modern cartoon art style... Thing... I don't know, it makes me cringe...
Oddly enough I do like the Simpsons though!
The only one I like out of them is Futurama, but I can see why some others wouldn't. I really don't get why American dad and Family guy are that popular though, sure I could see why some people might think it's funny, but it's massively overhyped in my opinion.

Breaking tabboos isn't always fun or kinky, and although this is more of a writing pet peeve it does also apply to real life culture.

Yeah, I understood that.
There does seem to be a culture though of "it's fun to break the rules". No. No it isn't, sure it can be if you don't really care all that much, but it's not actually fun to be in a serious taboo relationship.

Also, the fetishized nature of certain relationships honestly just makes me want to throw up.

I don't mean things that are illegal, I mean social tabboos.
I think the problem with it some times is when people have an agenda. Like... I have very few (normal) limits. I read Lolita and the works, I have seen my fair share of taboo subjects, but even I know there is such thing as too much.

And I do agree that there are some relationships, especially here on roleplay sites, that seem fetishized and it makes me uncomfortable. Of course, I just follow the rule of don't like, don't read but still.

May I gently suggest a curve towards another topic before anyone says something we all regret?

I'd turn the rudder, but all of my opinions are immaculate and inarguable so posting them here would be silly.

There does seem to be a culture though of "it's fun to break the rules"
My point was more that "people shouldn't break all taboos" is a pretty common opinion (even among the "it's fun to break the rules" crowd).

Heck, I'd argue that the fact that social taboos exist in the first place shows that it's hardly an unpopular opinion to defend them. After all, if most people would break them they wouldn't exist in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back