Other Unpopular Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 1968 Romeo & Juliet (Starring Leonard Whiting and Olivia Hussey) is infinitely superior to the Leo DiCaprio Romeo & Juliet. The only thing I liked about the DiCaprio version is their Mercutio.

Also, Twelfth Night is the best Shakespeare comedy, followed closely by The Tempest and Much Ado About Nothing.

Timon of Athens, Titus Andronicus, and Cymbeline are not as bad as people say they are.
YOU ARE MY NEW FAVORITE HUMAN

I’ve heard of websites that display the information of people who use spambots on websites and forums, the information mostly consists of IP address and their username on the forum, they can also be given a rating from 1-5 but I don’t know what that is even for.

It’s probably a real site but I just can’t find it.

Potentially Unpopular Opinion -
I actually learned a lot from this thread. I made it through the first 25 pages before I gave up because I'm exhausted and want to go to bed. But I, the curious person I am, read several of the articles linked and appreciated the differing opinions when people were debating, not fighting.

Now for my personal Unpopular Opinions -
Let me just preface this by saying I am a female in her young 20s in the US, if that gives anyone some insight.

-I don't believe in feminism.
If the man wants a sandwich make him a damn sandwich! Haha. Nah my point is that too much of "Popular" feminism is based around getting media popularity and women are better than men. I'm not saying all feminists are this way, but the majority I have come across have been the kind that both want the same "privileges" as men (such as equal pay, and I say privileges loosely because no where have I found a post saying with facts that women are disadvantaged because men have "privileges") yet still expect special treatment because they are women. Following this, I believe in equal pay for equal work. If there is a woman who can do the same amount of work as a man, in any field, she should be paid the same amount. However, wage should also be based on what you are bringing to the table. If a man is hired for the same job as a woman, yet the man has experience in the field and is a greater asset to the company(or vice versa), then yes, he should be paid more. I fall more into equalism than what I have seen from modern day feminism.

-College Degrees Shouldn't Necessarily Mean Better Pay/Jobs
This follows my previous point about experience. I don't believe that just because you have a degree means you should automatically be hired for a higher position(within reason). For example, my stepfather has worked in the Telecommunications field for many years (I believe he is getting close to 15 years of experience). He is the only person in his office who has experience and knowledge of all the different things they work with. However, he was passed over for a promotion because a young man straight out of college with no "real life" experience in the field also applied. Yes, this young man worked hard to earn his bachelors. He was hired to be in charge of my stepfathers office, and has been in the position for almost a year now, yet he is still coming to my stepfather and putting his work and job on my stepfather. This manager also only knows one part of what they work with. In this case, or in any case like it, I feel a college degree shouldn't mean passing by people with the hands on knowledge and experience to do the work. If you have a degree, then yes, you tend to have a step up, but not many things can beat actually doing the work and being in the field.

-I don't support all of minorities.
Let me preface this by saying I don't have a problem with minorities, both those of color and those that deal with gender and gender identity. However, if you feel the need to expect certain things because your skin is a different shade, or you like the same sex, exct., I don't support that. Its the same as women expecting special treatment because they have certain body parts. I currently work with a transgender and have no issues with it. Why? Because on our first day together I said "she". He calmly explained that he identified as male, and would prefer to be known as "he" and associated pronouns. Then we went about our day. However, I have been in situations before where people have expected to be treated as special because they were black, gay, exct., and that doesn't fly by me. You want to be treated the same as everyone else? You want to be accepted? Then don't let your gender/race define you. I have been in a situation where there was a man pursuing me for a date. We had previously seen each other around the college campus, and had a class together. I politely refused when he asked, and his immediate response was "Its because I'm black isn't it! You are a racist!". To which I followed up calmly "No it's because I am in a committed relationship, and have been for (at the time) five years now." I have also been in situations where when a service has been denied, people automatically drop the race or gender card. I had a trans who had asked to use the female changing room. When I politely said that they could not, they went on a rant about how just because they were male physically they identified as female and that I was being narrow minded and genderist(I dont even know if this is an actual term?). They were practically screaming in the middle of the store and I ended up having to get a manager involved over the whole situation. Best part about it? The reason they couldn't use the female changing room is because the rooms were under construction and closed to everyone. Personally that's something I think needs to stop. Not every insult or denial in your life is because of your race/gender/how you identify. And if you want to be the kind of person who wants special treatment, demands privileges, or blames any of the above for any problems life throws at them, then no I will not support you. I don't support anyone using any of their attributes (if that's the right word) to demand things from life or people.

-Paid maternity leave should be for both the mother and father.
Having a child is a momentous and special thing in the life of any person, be they the mother or the father. And especially when you are just taking a baby home, not many parents want to miss that. Paid Maternity Leave for mothers should include leading up to the pregnancy, and for fathers it should be after the baby is born. It is stressful enough trying to learn how to live your life with a small human that is dependent on you for everything, and having both parents there especially in the first month or so is an important thing. I know not all parents may want to stay home during that time, but the option should be there. If a father is still going to work however, after being up all night helping the mother take care of the baby and being woken by cries all the time, then you got a tired, not fully functioning father at work and the works productivity plummets anyway. Not much to say on this, other than babies are the future and having and raising one is not an easy job.

-I don't like kids/babies
Strange thing to follow up the last statement. But I am not a fan of small children, or babies. I'm not even a fan of pregnancy. Like if you wanna have a kid, go for it. But to me, instead of being this wondrous lovely thing, pregnancy creeps me out. Like... It grows eyeballs. and eyelashes. and poops inside of you. Gross. I also hate the expectation put upon me to one day have kids. My family is constantly talking about "when you have kids" or "when WILL you have kids". Like chill guys I'm still doing the college thing. Plus my long term boyfriend is the last of his surname of breeding age(so to speak), which brings about the eventual expectation that if we stay together we will get married, have a bunch of bouncing baby boys and girls, and carry on that name. But my issue is also the fact that I don't like children in general. Sure they love me, but for the most part I find them annoying and a pain in the ass. I don't know if when I get older my feelings on this would change, but if they don't and I have kids anyways I can't help but feel it would be unhealthy for everyone because I might not connect with them nor have the ability to be a good parent to them. So for now I will stick to my fur and scale babies.

-Telling your kids they are smart/special is detrimental.
My whole life my family always said I was so super smart and so good at this or that. But the reality is I'm quite average on the scale of things. I didn't notice it until college. All through school I flew by with a 3.5-9 GPA and barely studied. I was on honor roll and took higher level classes in the things I was good at. Then I got to college and realized that not only did high school not prepare me one bit, but that I was honestly "meh" on the scale of bad to great in most things. But that parental/familial pressure is still there that I should be better, be doing better. My stepfather and I had a huge falling out over it. At one point I was working a full time job, part time job, and attending classes at the community college while I tried to figure out what direction I wanted to go in my life. But no matter what I was doing, any time I was home and not doing anything I ended up getting talks from my stepfather about how he just wants me to "you are so much better than this, do more with my life." Because working my ass off and doing college at the same time wasn't enough. This eventually turned in to me avoiding my stepfather, fights with my mother, and me leaving and not talking to either of them for several months. There's a difference between encouraging your child and telling them they are doing well, and pressuring your child to be better because you have built them up in your mind to be this amazing person. Like I get it every parent wants their child to succeed and do well, and wants them to do their best. I'm not saying you shouldn't tell your kid they are smart or good at things, but don't build it up to the point where no matter what they do they feel they aren't good enough.

-Bird people are weird.
Birds are gross. They are weird. Therefore, people who like birds, are also strange and weird. My pets would eat your weird bird for breakfast.

---

Sorry for the really long post but based off of all the fighting and whatnot in the thread over some of these related topics I figured I would do my best to explain why I feel these ways right off the bat so people don't make incorrect assumptions about me/my life/my opinions. No hate! :)

-I don't like kids/babies
Strange thing to follow up the last statement. But I am not a fan of small children, or babies. I'm not even a fan of pregnancy. Like if you wanna have a kid, go for it. But to me, instead of being this wondrous lovely thing, pregnancy creeps me out. Like... It grows eyeballs. and eyelashes. and poops inside of you. Gross. I also hate the expectation put upon me to one day have kids. My family is constantly talking about "when you have kids" or "when WILL you have kids". Like chill guys I'm still doing the college thing. Plus my long term boyfriend is the last of his surname of breeding age(so to speak), which brings about the eventual expectation that if we stay together we will get married, have a bunch of bouncing baby boys and girls, and carry on that name. But my issue is also the fact that I don't like children in general. Sure they love me, but for the most part I find them annoying and a pain in the ass. I don't know if when I get older my feelings on this would change, but if they don't and I have kids anyways I can't help but feel it would be unhealthy for everyone because I might not connect with them nor have the ability to be a good parent to them. So for now I will stick to my fur and scale babies.
My mom says that actually, it's completely different when it's your own children you're dealing with. You naturally have a lot more patience for your own kids than anyone else's. And if you're worried about being disgusted or grossed out, honestly, do you think THAT is what you would be thinking about during pregnancy, while you create a whole new life? I'm not pressuring you to have kids, but I am saying that the reasons you're providing probably wouldn't matter in the moment.

What WOULD matter is things like expenses, proper parenting, working your schedule so you could be a full-time mom (I don't personally believe you can really grow a wonderful bond with your child if you're at work and they're in a daycare all day), and making sure you can rely on your partner and they can rely on you while you shape a human being. It's stressful! But not because they're gross or annoying, because you probably won't care about that for years and years at a time; you'll be too busy watching the life you created growing up, learning about life, making mistakes, and going out into the world just like you did.

So don't have a baby if you don't want to! But just keep in mind that IF you do, you're probably worrying about the wrong things at the moment.

P.S. if you're going to have kids, do take your time. College is not a good time to have them, I agree. :P

As you said, I mean no disrespect and I didn't mean to pressure you, just provide a different viewpoint. Forgive me if I came off as rude at all.

-I don't support all of minorities.
Let me preface this by saying I don't have a problem with minorities, both those of color and those that deal with gender and gender identity. However, if you feel the need to expect certain things because your skin is a different shade, or you like the same sex, exct., I don't support that. Its the same as women expecting special treatment because they have certain body parts. I currently work with a transgender and have no issues with it. Why? Because on our first day together I said "she". He calmly explained that he identified as male, and would prefer to be known as "he" and associated pronouns. Then we went about our day. However, I have been in situations before where people have expected to be treated as special because they were black, gay, exct., and that doesn't fly by me. You want to be treated the same as everyone else? You want to be accepted? Then don't let your gender/race define you. I have been in a situation where there was a man pursuing me for a date. We had previously seen each other around the college campus, and had a class together. I politely refused when he asked, and his immediate response was "Its because I'm black isn't it! You are a racist!". To which I followed up calmly "No it's because I am in a committed relationship, and have been for (at the time) five years now." I have also been in situations where when a service has been denied, people automatically drop the race or gender card. I had a trans who had asked to use the female changing room. When I politely said that they could not, they went on a rant about how just because they were male physically they identified as female and that I was being narrow minded and genderist(I dont even know if this is an actual term?). They were practically screaming in the middle of the store and I ended up having to get a manager involved over the whole situation. Best part about it? The reason they couldn't use the female changing room is because the rooms were under construction and closed to everyone. Personally that's something I think needs to stop. Not every insult or denial in your life is because of your race/gender/how you identify. And if you want to be the kind of person who wants special treatment, demands privileges, or blames any of the above for any problems life throws at them, then no I will not support you. I don't support anyone using any of their attributes (if that's the right word) to demand things from life or people.

Honestly I've heard stories of people who weren't in any minorities whatsoever (Caucasian, cis, etc.) who've still pulled these cards. "It's because I'm white!" or, on some occasions, "It's because I'm black!" even though they are white. There was even one instance where a caller told the Caribbean employee "Well, I'm from Africa, so I'm MORE ethnic than you!" in order to try and keep the racism card open. These kind of people will find whatever they can to be outraged about. If it wasn't feminism or racism, it'd be something else. And irritatingly that's not really something we can change.

And no, I don't think "Genderism" is an actual thing either XD That's silly.

What are your unpopular opinions? You know, an opinion that not many has heard about.

Here's mine: I do not like the Call of Duty franchise. Or just major shooting games. It's usually the community or just the game in general.

I'm not a fan of JonxDany on Game of Thrones. And it's not even because I can't get with the incest because I can. It's fiction. However, the actors don't have that chemistry to me and they're both good actors apart. Together, however, there's...nothing.

The 1968 Romeo & Juliet (Starring Leonard Whiting and Olivia Hussey) is infinitely superior to the Leo DiCaprio Romeo & Juliet. The only thing I liked about the DiCaprio version is their Mercutio.

Also, Twelfth Night is the best Shakespeare comedy, followed closely by The Tempest and Much Ado About Nothing.

Timon of Athens, Titus Andronicus, and Cymbeline are not as bad as people say they are.

Ok, so about the 1968 Romeo & Juliet - WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL MY LIFE???

I remember falling in love with that version, especially Olivia Hussey in the role of Juliet, when we watched both versions in my high school English class. Everyone else was so amused by the Leo version and all I cared about was the 1968 version. It was beautiful.

Ok, so about the 1968 Romeo & Juliet - WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL MY LIFE???

I remember falling in love with that version, especially Olivia Hussey in the role of Juliet, when we watched both versions in my high school English class. Everyone else was so amused by the Leo version and all I cared about was the 1968 version. It was beautiful.

Oh my god, yes! I grew up on that movie. My parent she'd a copy and it was like 1 of 3 movies that would hold my attention for more than 10 minutes. Michael York is the best Tybalt. :ghostv:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back