Other Unpopular Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why does people converse about transgender people if it doesn't concern them? Honestly.

Transgenderism is a concern, actually. Pushing this idea that injecting puberty-blockers and hormones into an otherwise healthy body (especially when those bodies belong to kids) is extremely harmful. Telling kids that this kind of thing is normal, is very concerning. Pushing people to accept and policing people's language is another huge concern linked to transgenderism, and directly concerns the liberty of speech. People are entitled to their own opinion.

babe BABE you have no idea how much I have ranted to people about the inaccuracies of Riverdale. I loooved the Archie/Veronica and Betty/ and all the other spin off comics growing up
I never thought the CW could make Archie bland, but they did it. If I wanted dark and edgy Archie, I might as well read Archie vs. Predator where Jughead literally dies.

AVP003-255x300.png

This is real.

Seems I’ll be the unpopular one here with this, but I can’t stand anime. It’s the art style I think that bothers me the most. Either way, I can’t stand anime.

But I’m also not a tv/movie person.

I’d rather be outside shootin my gun :neutralteeth:

To elaborate on my previous post, I’ll say this.

I, first of all, despite being born to a family that has always voted conservative in Canadian Federal Elections, agree to some society norms. When I say that I am not that harsh on Trump, I mean, he’s still not a good president, but I don’t think he is as bad as the media says he is.

My family is a strange one politically as they always vote for the Center-Left candidate in provincial elections (in this case, the BC NDP) but always vote Center-Right in Federal Elections (in that case, the Conservative Party).

I don't believe children should be medicated for ADHD, depression, bipolar, or any mental illnesses. Medication, and turning children into robots is not the way.

I don't believe children should be medicated for ADHD, depression, bipolar, or any mental illnesses. Medication, and turning children into robots is not the way.

So should we not give them antibiotics if they're suffering from an infection?

Mental illness is just like any other physical ailment, just a little more complex and a lot less understood. But we do know that many of these conditions stem from abnormalities in the brain, and we do know that these drugs can help normalise certain chemicals in the brain. What if therapy doesn't work? Because it doesn't always work. Should we let them be dysfunctional then?

Don't get me wrong. I agree with you to some extent. When it comes to kids, whose minds are still developing, pharmacological intervention should be the last resort. But don't write it off entirely.

Mental illness is just like any other physical ailment, just a little more complex and a lot less understood. But we do know that many of these conditions stem from abnormalities in the brain, and we do know that these drugs can help normalise certain chemicals in the brain. What if therapy doesn't work? Because it doesn't always work. Should we let them be dysfunctional then?

Don't get me wrong. I agree with you to some extent. When it comes to kids, whose minds are still developing, pharmacological intervention should be the last resort. But don't write it off entirely.

Antibiotics do not even match a mental ailment. I believe there are other ways to handle mental illnesses. I'm not saying everyone should believe what I do. But I will never put my children through the torture of taking those type of "medications".

Antibiotics do not even match a mental ailment. I believe there are other ways to handle mental illnesses. I'm not saying everyone should believe what I do. But I will never put my children through the torture of taking those type of "medications".

There are, but, again, they don't always work. And don't get me wrong -- drugs don't always work either, but I believe they are and should be considered a legitimate option.

Okay, let's scrap the antibiotic bit. I'll use a more (admittedly) extreme example: Diabetes. Yes, it could be caused by lifestyle choices, but it could also be a genetic/hereditary condition -- something you're born with. Just like mental disorders, it's usually brought about by a mixture of nature nurture.

So, diabetes. You're not producing enough insulin in your blood. That means you're going to have to take what you can get from external sources, yes? Yes. Because the alternative could well be a death sentence.

It's the same thing with these mental illnesses. Note that this is a simplification, but the big idea is the same.

So, depression. What's really happening here? From what we know, some parts of the brain aren't using serotonin as efficiently as it should. So like insulin shots, you get SSRI's or MAOI's or various other antidepressants that would make it so that your brain can sustain serotonin levels at a certain threshold. As a result, your mood becomes elevated. ADHD? Same thing, but with dopamine and stimulants. Anxiety disorders? Same deal.

Again, it's not the only way, but it's been proven time and time again that it works for a lot of people. I just don't think it makes sense to completely write it off based on misconceptions that psychiatric medication will turn someone into a zombie. Not saying these drugs don't have negative side effects, and not saying that some of them don't produce blunt affect/a sense of numbness, but these drugs could save, and have saved, lives. It's just not fair to completely vilify them like that.

Besides, what is normal anyway? "Normalize" the brain? On who's standards?

Haha I'll have to agree with you there. There is no normal. But there is dysfunction. There's the seven-year-old kid who has daily suicidal ideation even without trauma. There's that fifth grader who's had to repeat a year or two because they keep zoning out in class, or misplacing their homework. There's that socially anxious kid without any friends. Point is they're not meeting their potential by leagues because of their condition. They'll need all the help they can get. Doesn't always have to be pills, but maybe sometimes pills are the only things that work.

Transgenderism is a concern, actually. Pushing this idea that injecting puberty-blockers and hormones into an otherwise healthy body (especially when those bodies belong to kids) is extremely harmful. Telling kids that this kind of thing is normal, is very concerning. Pushing people to accept and policing people's language is another huge concern linked to transgenderism, and directly concerns the liberty of speech. People are entitled to their own opinion.

Being able to make our own decisions about our health, body and sexual life is a basic human right. While I do not condone pushing the idea of transgenderism onto kids I believe that a person over 15 years of age is capable of thinking before making any decisions. I think you’re gravely underestimating the struggle that trans people are going through and for many it’s either to transition or commit suicide. In that case the latter option would be more “harmful” in your logic.

I do respect the liberty of speech but if you’re not even going to try to see the subject from another angle are you truly qualified to say whether or not it’s bad?

I would say that i respectfully disagree, i took medication for ADHD until i was thirteen, this caused me to be lethargic, lazy, and very tired especially since i was misdiagnosed with ADHD (I have Asperger's syndrome.), and whether or not i was misdiagnosed i would say that the drugs i was taking would make any child the way i was, especially since i was completely normal and healthy when i was at home not taking my medication.

Thank you for listening,

Arion.

Self-identity, living for yourself, personal happiness isn't as important as I believe others think it is. I believe in living for others and just living with who you are whether that be unsatisfied with gender, sexuality, occupation, etc. Live for the better of society, not for the better of yourself.

I would say that i respectfully disagree, i took medication for ADHD until i was thirteen, this caused me to be lethargic, lazy, and very tired especially since i was misdiagnosed with ADHD (I have Asperger's syndrome.), and whether or not i was misdiagnosed i would say that the drugs i was taking would make any child the way i was, especially since i was completely normal and healthy when i was at home not taking my medication.

Thank you for listening,

Arion.

If you were misdiagnosed, then you have no way of knowing that the medication would have the same effect on others as it did you. That's exactly what I'm saying. Meds work for some. They don't work for some others. It's a process of trial-and-error, and if the impairment is severe enough, then it's okay to take that risk.

For the record, I take Vyvanse for ADHD and it works wonders for me. My little cousin is on it, too, and is finally getting along with other kids since.

Being able to make our own decisions about our health, body and sexual life is a basic human right. While I do not condone pushing the idea of transgenderism onto kids I believe that a person over 15 years of age is capable of thinking before making any decisions. I think you’re gravely underestimating the struggle that trans people are going through and for many it’s either to transition or commit suicide. In that case the latter option would be more “harmful” in your logic.

I do respect the liberty of speech but if you’re not even going to try to see the subject from another angle are you truly qualified to say whether or not it’s bad?

No, I do know the struggle transgenders go through. I am aware that true transgenders, the ones that suffer from gender dysphoria, have battled against depression and suicidal thoughts because they were so unhappy in their body. To those kinds of people, transitioning is a form of therapy. Which is something I don't disagree with.

However, I do disagree when it comes to the media pushing this idea that transgenderism, specifically, transitioning, is a good thing, a normal thing, a trendy thing, via public education and legal policies. According to the DSM-5 (The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM–5); the product of more than 10 years of effort by hundreds of international experts in all aspects of mental health), 98% of gender confused boys and 88% of gender confused girls will naturally accept their biological sex after passing through puberty. Now having said this, normalising transgenderism, making it 'okay' and even 'trendy', will lead to more confused children being present in gender clinics, pushed by equally confused, 'progressive' parents, to transition and 'be who they really are'. Thus, the kids would be introduced to puberty-blocking hormones, that would ensure that they 'choose' a lifetime of cross-sex hormones (estrogen and testosterone---this process also increases your chances of getting cardiac arrests, blood clots, high blood pressure, etc) in which they would take unnecessary measures to surgically mutilate their own healthy body parts as young adults.

Not sure if this unpopular or not, but here it goes, anyways.

The Women’s March was, and still is, a joke for so many reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back