Other Unpopular Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I assume this is an unpopular opinion given what the popular usage of names and historical understanding seems to be, but to me Stalin/the USSR seems like it was at least as evil as Hitler/the Nazis during WWII. They just seem like 2 sides of the same coin as they did practically the same exact stuff. Warmongering, using "death squad" type outfits and agencies to arrest, work to death, torture, kill, deport civilians/certain demographics and in general those deemed to be enemies to their ideology or superiority/self-righteousness...

I assume this is an unpopular opinion given what the popular usage of names and historical understanding seems to be, but to me Stalin/the USSR seems like it was at least as evil as Hitler/the Nazis during WWII. They just seem like 2 sides of the same coin as they did practically the same exact stuff. Warmongering, using "death squad" type outfits and agencies to arrest, work to death, torture, kill, deport civilians/certain demographics and in general those deemed to be enemies to their ideology or superiority/self-righteousness...
I actually don't think this is that unpopular of an opinion; I'd dare to say this is more of the general consensus. I just think more people know about and are educated on Hitler and what he did during WWII because the US and rest of the western world were also more involved in WWII and the Holocaust as a whole so it makes its way into more of the media we consume.

I actually don't think this is that unpopular of an opinion; I'd dare to say this is more of the general consensus. I just think more people know about and are educated on Hitler and what he did during WWII because the US and rest of the western world were also more involved in WWII and the Holocaust as a whole so it makes its way into more of the media we consume.

I don't know, maybe it's more common than I assume; obviously I can be wrong. It just seems like a more "avant-garde" historiography than I imagine most people subscribing to and rolling with on the daily. Again, I may be wrong!

(Dunno if you're interested in talking about this more, but if so then we can move to PM)

I don't know, maybe it's more common than I assume; obviously I can be wrong. It just seems like a more "avant-garde" historiography than I imagine most people subscribing to and rolling with on the daily. Again, I may be wrong!

(Dunno if you're interested in talking about this more, but if so then we can move to PM)
Haha I'd definitely be up for further discussion on this over pm if you'd like! I'm pretty into history and then historiography by extension, so I enjoy discussing stuff like this.

i don't like the tide pods meme or the ugandan knuckles meme. they're overused and bound to die soon.
Tide Pods I agree with. There isn't any good context that can make this meme funny, just HERP DERP TIDE PODS=FOOD
Ugandan Knuckles can be funny if it's an original usage, but it seems like to be the new "Damn Daniel".

? *looks around*

I think that there are a lot of movements out there that completely lose the point they are trying to make by separating themselves Into Their respected Ones. I also think that there is too Much Anger And Confusion In Them.

Equality For Everybody is More important is My Thought At Least No Matter Who You are Or what Race.

*hides*

The whole #metoo and #time'sup movements in Hollywood are only publicity for the famous people involved, whilst they oust a few targets of opportunity, regardless of consequences.

I can't remember if I said this yet, but I don't get what's so great about Zendaya and Amandla Stemberg, and the internet has made me hate them.

Not really that unpopular. Historians debate over whether or not Stalin was more evil than Hitler but it's all about how you look at perspective. Even the most reprehensible and disgusting of ideologies begin on some sort of naive or altruistic motive. Stalin killed arguably equal to or a hell of a lot more people due to his incompetence but Hitler set out deliberately to systemically kill an ethnic group of people.

Hitler had the vision of creating a utopic aryan- state while Stalin wanted to create an idealized communist state to prove to the world that communism was equally as effective as capitalism.

You also forget all the other great and terrible dictators in history as well. Is Mao ZeDong more evil than Hitler or Stalin? Is Pol Pot more evil than Hitler or Stalin? Is Genghis Khan more evil than Hitler or Stalin? It also depends on where you're from as well. A Chinese person might consider Mao ZeDong to be worse than Hitler. A Korean person might consider the Imperial Japanese Empire to be more evil than Hitler. And so on and so forth.

It is very, very hard to quantify evil when comparing people who have committed immoral acts. You can't just compare the killcounts of dictators because it's not that simple.

Hmm. Well, I've got a few actually. Just to list a few of them off the top of my head.

*clears throat*

The Dark Tower movie was awesome

Bill Skarsgard played Pennywise better than Tim Curry

Tom Holland is the best Spider-Man ever!

Light Yagami should have beat Near

St. Anger was a great album

• I think Hershey Chocolate is better than Swiss Chocolate.
  • I think we should get rid of daylight savings.
  • I think we should do away with "retirement."
  • Monopoly should be a game of punishment for children.
  • Cats are a religion.

• I think Hershey Chocolate is better than Swiss Chocolate.

• I think we should get rid of daylight savings.

• I think we should do away with "retirement."

• Monopoly should be a game of punishment for children.

• Cats are a religion.
I totally agree with you on the daylight savings thing, and you have some good points. I do have to ask, though, what exactly you mean by doing away with retirement? Are you saying that people should continue working their entire lives? I don't mean this in a confrontational way, I just was wondering if you could elaborate.

Not sure if this is an unpopular opinion or not but...

There is no such thing as an “assault weapon,” and Assault Weapon Bans will do little to nothing to effect mass shootings in the United States, as they target cosmetic features of a rifle, while the weapon is still simply a semi automatic firearm. A pistol grip, telescoping/folding stock, threaded barrel, bayonet lug, and barrel shroud have no impact on the lethality of the firearm.

Furthermore, people on both sides of the gun control debate are being too divisive. The gun control debate can destroy America.

Peacemaker .45 Peacemaker .45

It’s almost like people think this Exibit A mystically has superior killing ability than Exibit B.

92C09052-12D2-4FB7-A601-D246B6D52F15.jpeg

EEA9870A-FA69-4192-B567-6F88D2A0E53C.jpeg

Also, people need to read up on the doctrine of what an assault rifle is. Saying the AR-15 is an assault rifle is like saying a Ruger Mini 14 is a battle rifle.

Peacemaker .45 Peacemaker .45

It’s almost like people think this Exibit A mystically has superior killing ability than Exibit B.

View attachment 404948

View attachment 404949

Also, people need to read up on the doctrine of what an assault rifle is. Saying the AR-15 is an assault rifle is like saying a Ruger Mini 14 is a battle rifle.
The Ruger Mini-14’s are one of the best examples of why Assault Weapon Bans are flawed. A rifle, one that accepts the same .223/5.56 ammunition as the AR-15 is, as well as accepts detachable box magazine capacities of 20 rounds (or 30 if you find some aftermarket ones) is not included on the ban list because it has none of the aforementioned features as the AR-15. Yet, it’s still semi automatic, it still uses the same ammunition, and has the same capacity magazines. But remove the rifle from a wooden stock to one with a pistol grip and folding stock, the rifle (under an Assault Weapon Ban) is now illegal.

What changed? The rifle is no different before. It just has an adjustable stock and a pistol grip. Those in no way can make the rifle deadlier.

I live in New Jersey. Here, we have the ‘94 Assault Weapons Ban still in place, or a mirror of the federal 10 year long ‘94 ban. Rifles, shotguns and handguns are banned by name or feature count. The AR-15 is banned here. BUT the get around is by limiting features. I own a Smith & Wesson M&P-15. It’s an AR-15, just with a pinned adjustable stock and no threaded barrel. It’s just a semi automatic rifle that mirrors the military counterpart aesthetically and fires the same round, but mechanically differs, and that’s what matters.

As you stated, people need to read up and learn what constitutes a rifle an “assault rifle” or “battle rifle.” I often encounter people who support assault weapons bans, however they can never truly explain what an assault rifle actually is. Generally, I use US federal law as the definition, as it pertains more to the US and civilian gun ownership. But if we’re going to go by doctrine, as you said, it’s a selective fire rifle that uses detachable box magazines and is chambered in an intermediate cartridge. There’s also the effective range point, but that’s never really brought up. But it is part of it, nonetheless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back