Other Unpopular Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess my unpopular opinion is that I would rather die at 30 having lived a life filled with what I wanted to do rather than live a long life filled with regret for what could have been. Granted this is something everyone WANTS but not many people get. My absolute need for this opinion goes so far as to make me actually want to be homeless and live out of my car because it seems fun. On top of that I am willing, and almost feel forced by myself, to move halfway across the world because if I didn't do that I would regret it.

Also it helps me with my smoking habit in the way that it justifies me doing it. Granted I keep a lid on it and don't slam them down like shots of whiskey though I still do it because I love it.

Basically I'm going to live my life my way no matter what. Even if it kills me I'll die a happy man.

Unpopular opinion? If you smoke cigarettes, I can't be your friend and I definitely can't date you. It's less that I'm against the cigarettes and more that life has the potential to suck even if you do your best to make it not suck. Why would I intentionally make it worse by signing up to watch my friend/partner potentially die of lung cancer? I don't need that in my life

Unpopular opinion? If you smoke cigarettes, I can't be your friend and I definitely can't date you. It's less that I'm against the cigarettes and more that life has the potential to suck even if you do your best to make it not suck. Why would I intentionally make it worse by signing up to watch my friend/partner potentially die of lung cancer? I don't need that in my life
This isn’t an unpopular opinion? I feel the same way and never thought it was ?

This isn’t an unpopular opinion? I feel the same way and never thought it was ?
It's not? Huh.
Maybe my view is skewed. I live in a community and go to school where pretty much everyone smokes so if you're against it you're pegged as the weirdo outcast. Hmm.

It's not? Huh.
Maybe my view is skewed. I live in a community and go to school where pretty much everyone smokes so if you're against it you're pegged as the weirdo outcast. Hmm.
I live in an area where the big things are now e-cigarettes and pot. I’ve been offered to do that stuff countless times, but I refuse to as if goes against my, essentially, moral philosophy. The people here don’t really seem to care, thankfully. But, nonetheless, I am an outcast as well for not doing them when practically everyone does.

Not sure if this is an unpopular opinion or not but...

There is no such thing as an “assault weapon,” and Assault Weapon Bans will do little to nothing to effect mass shootings in the United States, as they target cosmetic features of a rifle, while the weapon is still simply a semi automatic firearm. A pistol grip, telescoping/folding stock, threaded barrel, bayonet lug, and barrel shroud have no impact on the lethality of the firearm.

Furthermore, people on both sides of the gun control debate are being too divisive. The gun control debate can destroy America.

AR in AR-15, has always stood for armalite one of the original developers of the modern rifle.

It's common and easy to utilize a multitude of buzz words to make most weapons seem dangerous, while being truly disengenous. The problem with the give and take on gun control is that even the current laws are not being followed. Adding additional federal laws does nothing if at the ground level the problem of dangerous weapons are still readily available.
As someone who has filled out the paper work, the background check, and more, it is not as simple as using a fake idea to go and purchase a gun (as CNN and chris Cuomo try to prove).
You're right that it takes a certain level of discussion, but it's hard to reach a level of agreement when the other side considers banning firearms entirely as a possibility.
If anyone would want to talk more about this, than please PM me.

AR in AR-15, has always stood for armalite one of the original developers of the modern rifle.

It's common and easy to utilize a multitude of buzz words to make most weapons seem dangerous, while being truly disengenous. The problem with the give and take on gun control is that even the current laws are not being followed. Adding additional federal laws does nothing if at the ground level the problem of dangerous weapons are still readily available.
As someone who has filled out the paper work, the background check, and more, it is not as simple as using a fake idea to go and purchase a gun (as CNN and chris Cuomo try to prove).
You're right that it takes a certain level of discussion, but it's hard to reach a level of agreement when the other side considers banning firearms entirely as a possibility.
If anyone would want to talk more about this, than please PM me.
So many people believe that “AR” stands for “assault rifle,” but as you said, it stands for Armalite.

I know all about what you stated. I’m a gun owner myself. I own 4 guns at the moment, one of which is a Smith & Wesson M&P-15 Sport 2, which I’ve done some work to. I know all the processes and such with them. I’ve dedicated years to learning correct terminology, laws, and a whole bunch of other things. The 2nd Amendment is, more or less, my passion and hobby.

You’re preaching to the choir with me here. But unfortunately, far too many people don’t do the research and listen to biased media outlets and politicians. I try to explain to people who don’t understand how the laws work, and how they aren’t being enforced, as well as terminology, statistics, studies, etc., etc. But people are willfully ignorant and not willing to listen and admit they are wrong. Biases are displayed completely with the gun control argument. It’s really a cluster fuck.

Pardon me if I seem all over the place. I didn’t sleep the previous night and I feel like crap due to it. I can’t really think clearly right now.

Peacemaker .45 Peacemaker .45

Here’s somethin’ for ya.

I’ve wanted to get a Garand for SO DAMN LONG but they’re expensive. You can get them for cheaper in the states if you join the Civilian Marksmanship Program, but I additionally don’t have the money to join a CMP affiliated place near me. One day I’ll get this piece of Americana, along with some authentic Winchester lever guns. I personally want an authentic Model 1886.

Not sure if this is an unpopular opinion or not but...

There is no such thing as an “assault weapon,”

Yep. 1944 Germany called and it wants it's "assault rifle" propaganda term back from our current media.

I've heard some refer to them as "defense rifles," and I can in no way blame them.

Last edited:
Peacemaker .45 Peacemaker .45 Winter_Wolf Winter_Wolf

I recall reading this article about how a man was complaining how the AR-15 gave a homeowner an ‘unfair’ advantage when a couple of teens - one of which was their grandchild - broke into his house to rob him.

Grandfather of Oklahoma teen killed by homeowner in burglary says AR15 made for ‘unfair’ fight

Now, this is just an opinion, but maybe, just MAYBE, that is the whole point of a gun?
No wonder America's fucked.

Peacemaker .45 Peacemaker .45 Winter_Wolf Winter_Wolf

I recall reading this article about how a man was complaining how the AR-15 gave a homeowner an ‘unfair’ advantage when a couple of teens - one of which was their grandchild - broke into his house to rob him.

Grandfather of Oklahoma teen killed by homeowner in burglary says AR15 made for ‘unfair’ fight

Now, this is just an opinion, but maybe, just MAYBE, that is the whole point of a gun?
Oh yeah I remember reading about this. Any gun can be an “unfair” advantage. As you said, that’s the point of a gun. Either it evens the playing field or it gives an advantage.

This seems to be going into the argument I’ve seen recently with the anti gun media trying to say that muzzle velocity between handgun and rifles gives the person with the rifle an unfair advantage. This is utter nonsense.

The FBI has been saying for years that most defensive shootings occur within 7 yards. Even if the rifle has 1000 FPS more than the handgun, the difference won’t matter within those 7 yards.

Now if you were 1000 meters, or 1094 yards (rounded), yeah there would be a difference. But no one is going to be shooting at each other from that far away with an AR-15 and say an AR chambered in 9mm or .45 ACP, especially because of the drop (most notable to the 45 due to the slow nature of the round). Within 7 yards the muzzle velocity difference is so minuscule that it wouldn’t matter.

The anti gun crowd is really looking hard for any flawed argument they can make right now. The muzzle velocity one is among some of the worst I’ve ever seen argued. And I can go into how arguments like “well regulated militia” isn’t relevant, as Heller v. DC made clear, and furthermore where in US code it says the militia is compromised of people not in the national guard, essentially civilians. Or how people think the Second Amendment applies only to muskets, which the Supreme Court ruled on two separate decisions (Heller v. DC and Caetano v. Massachusetts) that the right covers weapons not around at the time of it being written. There are so many bad arguments.

2 opinions from me.

1: I feel like college is just a big waste of time and money that could be better used. You go to college because it's expected of you and you're seen as uneducated if you don't but what does it give you? You have to take out student loans that the college and banks know statistically you'll never be able to pay them back until you're like 60, you aren't guaranteed any sort of job at all for your investment, once again I mention that student loans will constantly hang over your head even if you declare bankruptcy, and from what I've heard some professors insert their own political views into classes and can fail you if you have different opinions.

2: I feel like every single video-game will soon fall into the inescapable void of repetition and that all of the fun will be sucked out in place of microtransactions and unfinished games being rushed early to meet deadlines and then the shit that should have been in the base game will become DLC.

1: I feel like college is just a big waste of time and money that could be better used. You go to college because it's expected of you and you're seen as uneducated if you don't but what does it give you?
Interesting viewpoint. I recently did a ton of research on a topic related to this, and I'd just like to share some of the rationale from the other side for your consideration, haha.
So, as I mentioned, I did quite a bit of research on a similar topic; more specifically, the impact current poverty has on future generations. More often than not, poverty in one generation spans multiple generations. A variety of factors are at play in this, but I'd dare say that one of, if not the most, consistent factors in the perpetuation of the cycle of poverty is unskilled (unskilled in this case meaning available to those without a degree or an education above a high school diploma or GED) labor. This brings me back to your first point: college is a big waste of time and money that could be better used. This is the logic that many people who chose not to attend college for the sake of financial need use. College does take up a lot of time, and that's time that could theoretically be used to work and receive the immediate gratification of a paycheck. Looking at this more closely, however, the unskilled positions that are available to people without a degree are, inarguably, fewer in number, and often lower-paying than those available to people with a degree. As sad as this is, it's just a fact of life, and the number of unskilled labor positions is only projected to shrink in the future. Sure, it is nice to be able to receive a paycheck immediately, without any of the hassle or cost of college, but in the long run, a minimum wage (or near it) job does not allow for any upward mobility, and will leave a small family stuck in poverty. You also asked: what does college give you? A college degree, or even just some college, gives you an edge in the workforce. Though it is less impactful the further up you move, where more of your competition also have attained some level of higher education, if you're applying for a managerial position at, say, a fast-food restaurant, you are immediately more likely to be considered for that position than your contemporaries that don't have the advantage of a degree. Now, we can argue all day that this is silly and classist, and that's it's wrong that people without a college education are automatically seen as uneducated, I would agree with all of this, but the fact of the matter is, that degree makes you look like a better candidate for a job than your fellow unskilled colleagues.

While I do agree that attending a prestigious university for four years with exorbitant tuition rates might land you in more debt than it's worth, I would argue that it's highly beneficial for anyone to gather up all the grants, scholarships, and loans they can manage, and at least attend a local community college and go for an associate's degree.

I’m very fucking afraid to post in this thread. I two friends that I know will disagree with me on this.

I will not respond to any debate baits. I’ve stayed out of shit on this site for nearly two years. I intend to keep it that way. This is a serious thing, not something tame, like, “I think that pineapple is great on pizza.”

Also, I may be over reacting, but I can never tell how people react. Read on if you’re not easily triggered.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It is very unlikely that your god, or any god, exists.

Pls no witch hunt.

I’m very fucking afraid to post in this thread. I two friends that I know will disagree with me on this.

I will not respond to any debate baits. I’ve stayed out of shit on this site for nearly two years. I intend to keep it that way. This is a serious thing, not something tame, like, “I think that pineapple is great on pizza.”

Also, I may be over reacting, but I can never tell how people react. Read on if you’re not easily triggered.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It is very unlikely that your god, or any god, exists.

Pls no witch hunt.
Oh

This isn't unpopular

Is it?

Thought that was like

normal

Oh

This isn't unpopular

Is it?

Thought that was like

normal
I'm pretty sure it is, considering around 85 percent of the world's population adheres to some religion or another. Atheism and non-adherence to religion is a bit more common on the internet, but I know for a fact in my community almost everyone is religious in one sense or another.

Honestly my opinion on the whole god thing is who cares? Think about how little we can connect with a chimpanzee, and we share almost all our dna with them. I'm pretty sure if there was some sort of entity outside our universe it would be so different and so far detached from us that there would be no point in trying to appeal to it or interact with it. Better to just keep your mind open instead of trying to adhere to some sort of absolute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back