• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Unhallowed Metropolis

Grey

Dialectical Hermeticist
It has been two hundred years since the outbreak of the Plague, when the dead rose to feed on the flesh of the living. No nation was spared. Everywhere, the animates prowled the streets, killing and spreading the infection as they passed. Countless millions perished in the chaos that followed. Ultimately, seventy percent of the world’s population succumbed to the Plague, secondary epidemics, or the mass starvation that followed.

The year was 1905: the dawn of the new dark age.

London 2105. The capital of the Neo-Victorian Empire is a vast, densely crowded city. Beneath the towering walls and crackling Tesla arrays, where the fallout of a thousand crematoria darkens the streets, ten-million souls live in fearful squalor. Physicians, driven by an insatiable hunger for immortality, search tirelessly for the elixir vitae, the fabled alchemical solution promising life eternal and a cure for the Plague. Predators, human and inhuman, stalk the slums and rookeries, preying on the unwary and the helpless.

Below the haunted streets, resurrection men and body snatchers hock their grisly wares at blood-stained meat markets. Their clients are degenerate ghouls and amateur anatomists who practice the outlawed science of reanimation.

Above it all, the aristocracy looks down from their walls of privilege, pristine and enduring, but preyed upon by dangers more insidious than those that infest the streets.

The restless dead prowl the wastelands beyond the city’s walls, while spontaneous outbreaks of the Plague ravage the population within. It is only through constant vigilance and massed firepower that order is maintained.

Even in this time of darkness there are those with the strength to fight. Undertakers, Mourners, soldiers, and men of faith and reason do battle with the horrors of the age, keeping a solemn vigil over the Unhallowed Metropolis.

- Introduction, Unhallowed Metropolis (because they have neither a Wikipedia page, nor a blurb online)

With scandal, politics, and fashion at stake, undead will be the least of your worries.

Plot will depend on party, and the party has the choice of diverse callings such as:

Mourner - members of the Mourner's Guild; professional, celibate, nearly always women, trained in grief counselling and advanced sword fighting techniques.

Undertaker - Professional monster hunters, typically from the lower classes.

Detective - Whether journalist, private eye, or member of the London Met.

Criminal - Burglars, thugs, con-artists, and pickpockets.

Doctor - Scientists, medical experts, and utterly vital to the survival of any group.

Alienist - Terrifyingly, the closest thing to a psychiatric care professional.

Medium - Able to commune with the spirits of the dead, charming and clever.

Psychic - Wretched souls scoured by their own frightening power and mental illness.

Deathwatch Trooper - Professional soldiers and Her Majesty's Finest.

Dhampyr - Tragic, brooding dark heroes romanticised in Neo-Victorian pop-culture.

Exorcist - Gun-toting preacher fortified with the power of their faith.

Aristocrats - Making the most of wealth, connections, etiquette, and daily training with the rapier grandfather left you.

Parapsychologist - Probing and harnessing the unknown through science.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're stronger, faster, tougher, and more beautiful then normal humans, but will become a vampire when you die and are romanticised as a brooding dark hero in the popular culture of Neo-Victorian London.

Hmm... that raises a few questions.

Does going Vampire mean I become an NPC?

Does a Dhampyr gain any non-physical vampire/undead abilities?

Am I right in assuming that most of the 'Plaguestricken' are unintelligent corporeal undead, zombie, ghouls, or such?

[QUOTE="Ordo Malleus]If you don't mind me asking...What is a Deathwatch Trooper exactly?

[/QUOTE]
A member of the Domestic Security Force, colloquially known as the Deathwatch, and yes I can tell by your username what you're thinking but GW doesn't own the copyrights on the word.

vinom said:
Hmm... that raises a few questions.
Does going Vampire mean I become an NPC?

Does a Dhampyr gain any non-physical vampire/undead abilities?

Am I right in assuming that most of the 'Plaguestricken' are unintelligent corporeal undead, zombie, ghouls, or such?
Yes, vampires are NPCs - they're mostly feral.

I don't recall them getting much in the way of non-physical traits, but there are probably one or two if I look it up.

The Animates are normal zombies, aye. Ghouls are actually termed ab-dead and are sapient if not very smart.

Hmm... I am interested in the idea of. Dhampyr scientist working to retain his glorious mind post flatline.

Dhampyr are vampire hunters by default, but I think the chargen spread should let you branch into the sciences.

Well of course I hunt vampires and rogue dhampyrs... I need research subjects. :angel:

This one seems quite interesting, do count me onboard. Probably going to throw a dice about the callings though.. Although undertaker sounds like fun.

Hmm I definitely find this RP idea intriguing to me.

I call Medium. If you care to elaborate more on what a Medium's position is in this roleplay please do tell, otherwise I expect the usual abilities.

Last edited by a moderator:
They're usually a combination of excellent charlatan, entertainer, and socialite backed up with powers which allow them to commune with the spirits of the dead, use ghostly manifestations, and manipulate possessions.

Also @Teh Frixz I can't believe I didn't tag you - you can have a fancy hat and a kukri hidden under your skirt.

Hi, I actually want to know more about being a Mourner. I also have never played in a game like this so, I need to know what is to be expected and how to begin. Based on what I have read, my mind is actually blown away and I am loving this setting. Thanks for the links by the way.

Updated the OP with some Callings I forgot.

Mourners, Phyre, are typically women of upper-middle or upper class breeding who have been inducted into the Mourner's Guild. They are trained in etiquette, stealth, grief-counselling, combat, and patience. Once their training is complete, they are usually hired on retainer to aristocratic families where they act as bodyguards. Their true purpose is to stand in solemn vigil over the bodies of dead aristocrats, for three days, until such time as it is clear they won't reanimate and can be buried, instead of going to the crematoria with the lower classes. If they do reanimate, the Mourner can break her vigil trance to instantly decapitate them with her exculpus.

They are expected to remain celibate and wear proper mourning attire at all times, but a major aspect of the game is scandal so holding to that should neither be easy nor required.

I have never gotten to experience the game but have always been interested in it due to its setting. So I suppose I'll voice desire to play if you'd have me.

I find myself drawn to so many of these options. Though an Alienist, Doctor or Parapsychologist sounds the most appealing in this neo-victorian setting. And then the default of my delight in social characters...

A Doctor is invaluable due to the lethality of the system, but the nice thing about UMet is that every character has some combat competence and social graces.

Grey said:
Updated the OP with some Callings I forgot.
Mourners, Phyre, are typically women of upper-middle or upper class breeding who have been inducted into the Mourner's Guild. They are trained in etiquette, stealth, grief-counselling, combat, and patience. Once their training is complete, they are usually hired on retainer to aristocratic families where they act as bodyguards. Their true purpose is to stand in solemn vigil over the bodies of dead aristocrats, for three days, until such time as it is clear they won't reanimate and can be buried, instead of going to the crematoria with the lower classes. If they do reanimate, the Mourner can break her vigil trance to instantly decapitate them with her exculpus.

They are expected to remain celibate and wear proper mourning attire at all times, but a major aspect of the game is scandal so holding to that should neither be easy nor required.
Wow, I like that. I don't know how well I will do with this, as I am new to this but I am intrigued. So I want to play a character who is a mourner, what all do I need to begin. Also how often should I check the site for updates to this Forum?

Same.. I was lucky in finding a pdf with Unhallowed Metropolis.. I'm already 100% in creating an undertaker. ^^

I've not done something exactly like this, but I have done dnd. Where would I find the basics of how this works? Google is being useless.

I am willing to provide necessary assistance via PMs, especially if I have a group who will, in fact, play the damn game and not vanish mid or shortly post chargen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back