• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Ultimate Deculture (1x1 : ItsMaia & Ranix Aurus )

OOC
Here
Dawn came quickly, the sounds of life buzzing and chirping back to life filled the darkened room. The familiar and nostalgic smell of manure and soil wafted in through the open window--there wasn't much to smell beyond that though. The woman underneath her pile of sheets was bundled and cozy, hair disheveled and drool on her pillow from her deep slumber. When was the last time she slept so well? Spring was an amazing time of the year when it came to crops, so she had been bustling the fields with her family daily. It was tiring but the work was rewarding, it was better than working at the local inn--dealing with handsy travelers. Especially the damn tentacled customers, you never know what you find when living at a popular intersection of travel. Her town, Ellor, was on a common trading route, so it was commonly traveled and visited by strange and interesting new people. It actually was perfect as they sold plenty of their food and product they grew and harvested from their livestock. But it came with a lot of work, and now with rumors of a new disease plaguing the lands--you could never be too careful.

This new disease was said to make the host extremely violent and amped their physical and magical ability. It was definitely something that had many in uncertainty, hoping it was just some fluke or random mutation of specific species. Well, Maia was too busy to focus on simple gossip, she had plenty to do already. The pitter-patter of tiny feet made the woman sit up from her slumber, pushing down the warm sheets to see her beloved companion waiting for her to rise and shine. "Good morning, Pilo." Her ginger red hair was scattered from bed head, in a large messy bun. She had bright emerald eyes, her cheeks sprinkled with freckles--and right above her bangs was a shining rune. The rune immediately was a giveaway to her species, a Winderemerean, as runes expressed their emotions. Many came in different shapes and forms, but hers was a simple pink heart. It was shining in anticipation for the day, Pilo, her weasel companion chirping and chittering with excitement for breakfast. Giving a big stretch, she made her way out of her den and to the kitchen. Their home was small, luckily she was the only child but her parents slept in their own room. The fire had burnt out overnight, using the heat to keep the house warm since it was still chilly during the nighttime.

"Alright, Pilo. No begging others for breakfast, they will know I fed you already." She knelt down, giving the weasel a piece of a rabbit's thigh--letting the creature wander off with his new meal. Now it was time for her to eat, a simple apple which made her rune shine bright with delight. Now she was set for the morning, starting with her basic tasks of tending to crops, feeding the livestock and gathering any sellable product from the fields. For now, she had a nice bask of an assortment of vegetables and eggs. Usually this is when she headed to the market, changing into more appropriate attire such as a regular dress--looking more presentable. Who would want to buy from a woman covered in hard work? Luckily her farm wasn't very far from the market, making her way down the dirt path with a skip in her step. Heading to the lively market where many were exchanging goods and services, she went to her usual spot, placing the woven basket onto the counter. "How is that for a morning?" Her rune shined brightly along with her big smile, Hark, the merchant giving a toothy grin. "Well, this is better than yesterday for sure." He was a rather tall and burly man, his skin a darker shade of green that could match her own eye color.

He had two larger bottom canines that protruded when he closed his mouth, showing some of his traits as a half-orc. "Your rune is bright today, is there big news are anything?" Hark began his sorting of the goods, keeping track of what he would owe the girl. "Nope, just the usual. Though yesterday someone complimented my singing when I was heading back home. Made my heart skip." She blushed at the memory, playing with the hem of her dress. "We need that positive energy right now, especially with all this talk of that nasty disease. I'm sure it's just some rumor, but I have been hearing a lot more about it from merchants..." Maia sighed, leaning against the corner as people continued to bustle behind them. "Yeah, it's scary. I hope it's not true, I heard really bad things about. I can't imagine the knights trying to keep others safe with this sort of thing. I heard you can't reverse it once they become violent, they have to be killed." "Since it's so new, we don't know much.. All we can do is protect each other. Even if it costs innocent lives.. Speaking of knights.. I'm not sure how many, but some of coming to watch over the village. In case... something happens." Yeah, everyone was edge--hearing many daunting things about this new ... whatever it truly was.

She had heard many things, that it was basically unstoppable once you were infected. No one knew what caused this, there was no distinction between those who were affected. It was almost random? Though it couldn't be, and those who were already powerful magically or physically were wary of this disease--as it could be fatal to those around them. There were a few orcs in the village, just mercenaries waiting to be hired--but they seemed to be scaring away business as of recently. If those orcs went ballistic because of this new disease, they could kill and injure many people with the enhancement. It would be wrong to be more on edge around the burlier species, but many couldn't help it because no one understood this new disease. The king and queen were sending out knights all over to help protect villages in case any were affected by the illness, as many couldn't fight off the infected on their own. That's why they had the knights... "Really? Knights are coming here?" That was a bit scary, but it was actually was exciting! She had never seen a royal knight before, did they have all the armor just like she imagined? Men in burly white armor, giant weapons on their side that could easily slice down any creature with ease.

"To protect the village, but I don't know how many... I think it would be more worrisome if there were a lot. I don't want to think about being infected..." To be struck down when you had no self-control, it was a depressing thought. "But anyways, we will be fine. For all of this, I will give you 5 pieces." Maia slammed her hand on the table in shock, "5 pieces?! Are you kidding me? This is worth atleast 8!". She huffed, furrowing her eyebrows. "Hey, travel is much slower right now. Maybe it will pick up once the knights arrive, people will feel safer. But for now, it's a big risk for merchants. So... less customers." Hark huffed back, crossing his arms to look down at the shorter woman. Not that she was exactly short, but she was above 5"4, normal size for a human female. But Orcs were completely different, and being half-orc he inherited the height from his Orc father. "6. No less." She gave a cheeky grin, Hark sighing as he nodded, "Alright, 6. No more!". Passing over the coin, she shoved it into her bag, hearing murmuring and excitement rising around them. "The knights are here! We are safe!" Many were cheering and clapping, Maia standing on her tippy toes to try to find whoever these knights were exactly...

The kingdom of Bromhaven was no stranger to violence. Being on the more open side among the human nations in regards to interracial relationship, the kingdom had to manage frictions among its many and varied inhabitants on the daily basis. It had a large number of knights in its arsenal, most of them spread across the vast plains and prairie under Her banner. Each knight houses were given their distinctive names and were mainly responsible for the area under their control. That had been the norm for the past decades since the dawn of Bromhaven.

Independence was valued among the knights, and thus asking for assistance was viewed as a sign of weakness among the houses.

At first, it was merely a request for additional men from adjacent knight houses by a small, freshly-created chapter stationed at a remote land far from any civilized territories. The other houses treated it as mere annoyances, a sign of decline among younger generations of cadets. But then, they suddenly ceased contact. The entire chapter was lost, and the house sent to survey their condition, the Knights of Elbaum, only sent a dire report straight to the hands of the King. Nobody else had the privilege to see the content, but it was said that the King had immediately summoned his Royal Court and discussed it in closed doors for three days and three nights.

When the King and his Court emerged, they were haggard, their eyes bloodshot, and the result of said meeting was the mobilization of the kingdom's knight houses, northward. That was three months ago.

Only high-ranking commanders were privy to the detail, so as to kept morale stable. As for the knights, they were ordered to march without any information at hand, only given instruction to keep their wit and spirit high, and to uphold their oath to fight for the sake of the Kingdom. Among the Knights of Ravencreek was one Oliver Maynard. Coming from low nobility, the young lad still had a dashing look on him, with a cleanly-shaven face and golden blonde hair, a strong contradiction to his burly physique, tempered after years of training among the knights. Pity, as even that facet of his would be lost after a couple years in the battlefield both from the uncontrolled bloodlust of its residents and from the raw harshness of mother nature.

But for now, he was yet another young man filled with ambition for the future. A future that never had looked so uncertain.

"What do you think happened in the north?" A fellow fresh recruit asked as they sat around the bonfire.

"Don't tell anyone else, but I suspect that it's a foreign spy," another recruit interjected. "Why else would the Court be so concerned?"

"Could it be the descent of a monster? A Dragon, perhaps?"

"Gardner, You've read too much of those children's book," Oliver chuckled. "There's no such thing as a Dragon in this era. A Kobold, perhaps, or even an Earth Wyrm. But a Dragon?"

"A spy, it must be a spy! It'll be up to us to spread the net and capture them before they can get back from their countries!"

The discussion trailed off to a different topic as the knights waited until dawn before resuming their journey. The knight houses were ordered to move out to various parts of the Kingdom at the same time, and the Knights of Ravencreek was assigned an area southwest of the northern border. In order to stock up with supplies and gather intelligence, their commander had decided to stop by at a town called Ellor.

They were received with bigger fanfare than they had expected. It seemed that the rumors had spread faster than the Court had expected.

"Oliver, Gardner, Harper, I want you to get us supplies," the commander quickly gave out his orders. "Royfield, Tharn, you guys come with me to meet the mayor. Jarlfang, Horton..."

OIiver and his two companions took the chance to get off of their horses and entered the bustling market. Merchants were more interested in coins than excitement, so they would have a bit more breathing room for this task, at least compared to their poor comrades stuck in the makeshift parade back there.

"Alright, let's split up and gather whatever supplies we could get," Gardner suggested.

"...Don't use the coins that the commander gave you to smuggle beer into our stash, okay?"

"Fuck you, Harper! How do you actually view me?!?"

The three decided to make their own way to survey the market for now. As for Oliver, he decided to go to the side of the market where a certain red-haired girl was opening a stall.

"Good morning, my Lady," Oliver politely greeted her, a habit carried from his noble upbringing. "We are Knights of Ravencreek, here by the order of His Majesty to keep the peace of the land. We would like to procure some supplies before resuming our journey northward. Would you be so kind to help us get some grains and dried meats? For a reasonable fee, of course."

The redhead blinked in confusion, standing on her tippy toes to look for these so-called-knights. She had heard of them and how they worked for the King, but they were so peaceful in this village that they never needed such intervention. Ellor was extremely peaceful, and no one dared to start any trouble as they had plenty of orcs running the marketplace. It was pretty much a death wish to start any problems, and Maia was friends with plenty of them so she had their protection too. Her family was well-known in the village, respectable farmers who were human--they stumbled upon a bundled child one day at the market. She had a strange rune attached to her hair, shining as she cried, the couple asking around if anyone knew who the baby belonged to. And unfortunately, no one claimed the child so they decided to keep her for themselves. She grew up with human parents and never questioned it, knowing that she was adopted but considered them her true family. So now she repaid her family by being the best daughter, using her natural strength and abilities to help out at the farm.

She had made plenty of friends along the way too, so it was a cozy life. Her alternative dream was to be a singer, she enjoyed singing and would always do it when she was doing her chores.

It was a dream she kept hidden, dedicating herself to her family and farm--preparing for the future when she would end up running it herself. And if she ever brought up these selfish dreams, it would be a slap to her parent's face for wanting to run off and perform. So she kept it deep within herself, suppressing that selfish dream of hers.

And as she continued to chat with her half-orc companion, deciding it was useless to look for the knights--a voice made her turn around. She arched her head up slightly to see the strange man who was addressing her, he seemed very kind, and she immediately noticed the royal sigil on his chest plate. "You are a knight! Truly?" Her eyes lit up, her rune sparkling to match her excitement that hit her immediately. He did look like a knight, he had a physically trained body and looked like he could work for the King.

Hark leaned forward slightly, waving his hand to get the man's attention--"Actually sir, I am the shop owner. I have everything you need, she is simply a farmer.". Maia huffed at his words, "Yes I am a farmer, but I do supply your goods!". She gave a wink, Hark scoffing as he reached under his counter to search for what the knight needed. "Wow it must be amazing to travel so much, you get to see so many things." Maia was already back at it, infatuated with the stranger who seemed very kind.

He also seemed to have a lot of experience and knowledge, wisdom that she hoped to learn about someday. "I just help my family run a farm not too far from here, we never get knights in this area." Ellor was much too peaceful, her grin wide as she held her hands behind her back. But immediately her smile fell, an eerie voice--a melody echoing in her ears that took away the shine from her rune. The melody was dark, it was... ominous.

Faint, but it was still there... "What..." She looked around, wondering if anyone else could hear this--but many began to go into a daze. Even Hark was immobile for a moment before his veins began to bulge, roaring in pain as his body began to become more swole. His muscles were contracting, pupils dilated as he grew twice in size. "H-hark?!"

She took a step forward toward her friend, the orc swinging a large hand to destroy the wooden counter with ease. Maia stumbled back, in complete shock at the sight of her friend.

He was huge, and he was bulging with veins--eyes wide and deranged like he had seen something unbelievable. "Hark what.. what are you doing?!" She couldn't even think straight at this point, his shirt tearing from the drastic changing in size. Behind her she could hear screams and more yelling, immediately the fear distilling into her of.. the strange disease.

Was this... Was this what she had been hearing about? He had grown in size, he had a viscous look in his eyes, one that seemed closer to a feral animal. The orc wasn't even speaking words, just growling and huffing--arms bulging with muscle as leaped toward the girl with insane speed. So his speed was altered too? He raised a fist to slam down on the girl, but she immediately jumped out of the way--his fist hitting the ground with bone-shattering strength. "Hark?! What are you doing?!" This wasn't the friend she knew, this was... some feral creature, one that held blood lust in his eyes.

Hark was not the violent type at all, yet he was swinging at her to kill. "Hark, please!" She got to her feet, the orc once against focusing his sights on her before running in full speed--fist cocked back to land a killing blow on the unarmed female.

Seeing the girl getting excited upon his sight gave Oliver some vanity. Like many boys, he had loved the stories of knights in shining armor defeating evil dragons to receive honor and worship. Now that he had finally become one, having a citizen looking at him with such wonder was enough to put him in a good mood.

"Why yes, my Lady. Oliver Maynard, at your service. Now that we are here, you may rest your worries- ah, apologies, Sir," He smiled awkwardly at Hark. "Then, as I said before, I would like to have enough supplies for thirty people. We might need enough for four days. Would this be enough?"

He placed a pouch filled with the kingdom's coins before turning his attention back to Maia.

"Ah, I understand. This is a beautiful village! Reminds me of my hometown. Having no knight is a good thing, that means this place is peaceful. I would-"

His words were cut short when a strange voice rapped his eardrums. Sensing danger, he instinctively flared up his mana just like how he was trained, forming a protective aura over his body. That seemed to be enough to prevent him from falling into a daze.

And then, the shopkeeper changed.

The half-Orc moved fast, really fast, that even his training hadn't prepared him for it. Before he knew it, the shopkeeper had rushed toward the girl, his fist about to wreck her like the ground he had smashed in if only she hadn't managed to jump out of the way. When he was about to strike her again, Oliver finally managed to get his thoughts straight once more, and leapt into action.

Mana poured into his legs, pushing him forward like a spring as he tackled her away from the path of the half-Orc's strike.

"Are you alright?!" He quickly pulled his sword out. "Go to the square and call the commander! Hurry!" He yelled at Maia. At the very least, he needed to evacuate her first.

Taking his stance, he aimed his blade at Hark, waiting for him to make his move. He didn't become a knight to fight civilians, but this... thing, was clearly not normal. Before thinking about ethics and moral obligations of a knight, it would be better to think of his survival first.

"Stand down!" He hollered, although he wasn't sure if the shopkeeper could understand him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back