• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Ulgaria: Adventures in a Grim World (Closed for now.)

swarmlord1231

1711444831259.png1711445047859.png

The (Quick) History of the World

Ulgaria was supposed to be a paradise.

Long ago, thousands, if not tens of thousands, of years ago, the Titans came. These beings of perfection were birthed by the primal deity Zoldiar. Zoldiar's children wandered the newly birthed cosmos, bringing knowledge to the young races of the universe, creatures older than the planet on which their master plan would unfold. However, in the darkness, Zoldiar's twin, Azhagorh, was jealous. Bitter and cruel, he knew nothing but madness and corruption. In his envy, he created The Old Ones. While the Titans were kind and wished to guide mortals, the Old Ones were cruel and enslaved everything in their sight.

Much of ancient history is lost. But the Titans found a world, which they could feel was a leyline for the magics of the universe and fate itself. To the Titans' surprise, they discovered the Old Ones had already made their home on this planet and had enslaved countless races or driven them to madness. A war unlike any other erupted. The Titans created countless creatures as did the Old Ones. The primal races of this world—Men, Dwarves, Orcs, Goblins, and others—suffered and were made to choose sides.

At the end of this war (called the Titanomachy), the Old Ones were imprisoned, the mortal races freed, and the Titans were left diminished. Though they had built much on Ulgaria and left guardians on it, they abandoned the world. Many of their own kin turned on each other, as millennia of bitterness spilled over. The Mortals and their Gods were left the world, inheritors of a fallen paradise.

The World Today

Ulgaria is a large world, larger than Earth. It's divided into many continents, though the continents that the characters are familiar with are only located on one side of Ulgaria's gigantic hemisphere. When one looks into the sky, they see a sun shine, and at night the stars dance and the moon is high. Though there are many similarities to Earth, there are also many differences. Before, during, and even after the Titanomachy, the continents were terraformed by the Titans and Old Ones. So, many continents have shapes, climates, and even landmarks that seem nonsensical and impossible to us.

Ulgaria is also fresh off the cusp of an Industrial revolution. While many nations in Ulgaria have advanced, others are seemingly stuck in their old ways. Nations develop differently after all, so while one nation may be stuck using flintlocks, another uses revolvers, though a good sword never goes out of fashion. Magic and Technology clash, and while some nations rely on magic and mages, technology is constantly evolving as people seek to make their lives easier. Magic is wild but can be taught and learned. The ways of magic are near infinite, from Pyromancers and Hydromancers to even Teleportation magics.

The Gods are also very much real. Many of the gods were once mortals, raised into Godhood by the Titans. Even today, there are many stories of ascension of mortals into Gods. Even in the modern age, there are tales of mortals who ascended into Godhood after passing secretive trials of the Titans.

Dalkenshir, City of Hope

Ulgaria has many nations, city-states, and untamed lands ruled by barbaric tribes. Dalkenshir is a melting pot of all of them. Reclaimed during the last age, Dalkenshir represents hope for a brighter tomorrow. It is neutral ground for all of Ulgaria's nations, and each has an embassy within it. The city is ruled by "The Council," a group of neutral people who have abandoned ties to their nations. Though the Council itself is full of intrigue, the decisions it makes are often accepted. Ulgaria has had too many ages of destruction and ruin. The council also lends their aid to the nations of Ulgaria to fight back against demons, their worshipers, or even followers of the Old Ones.

Dalkenshir is split into the new city and the old city. The new city is what you would expect: trading posts, embassies, and even lodges for people to live. The old city is the dark twin. As Dalkenshir grew, many districts were destroyed due to war, terrorism, or plague and so were walled off, abandoned, and generally forgotten. People still make their home within the old city, mainly poorer folk or those seeking to hide from Dalkenshir law. Though there are still many businesses in the old city, one would be a fool to go to the walled-off sections, where killers, monsters, and worse live.

The Characters

Now this is where you, the writers, come in! Your characters are simple individuals from Ulgaria. They could be an academic studying plants or an explorer digging for ancient Titan artifacts. Something bound you together; perhaps it was the whim of fate, perhaps some organization contacted all of you. Whatever the case, you at least know each other. Dalkenshir and its surroundings may be the main setting (Think of it as the Gotham/Metropolis to your Batman/Superman), but your party may adventure anywhere in Ulgaria. Recently, the council has been calling upon people, as the mists beyond the sea have parted to reveal the long-thought-lost Shattered Continent.
Notes

- It's a soft magic system, there are hundreds of spells that mages know and that can be cast as long as one knowns them. Most of the time magic characters remember their spells or have a grimoire which let's them remember/cast those spells. A grimoire can be something as simple as a book to something silly like a shovel that whispers magical secrets to you when you use it.
- Ulgaria has a lot of lore, I have planned this setting for a bit, though the world is still a bit vague and open, specifically for interested folk to ask questions and be able to make the characters they want.
- Despite being a grim world, Ulgarias tone in combat and situations is like a comic book, the characters are strong, and a simple bullet wound won't kill them fully, though it may slow them down.
- The characters can be any race or species, from the standards of Humans, Dwarves, Goblins to stranger things in Ulgaria, like mushroom-folk, insectoid people and other creatures.
- Characters should be strong, but not overpowered, I would act like a story-master/Fatemaster, so I may do stuff to move the plot forward, but players should communicate how they want stuff to go.
- I don't require mega good literacy or grammar from you folk, BUT please write at least more than one paragraph.

Ask questions below! I will gladly answer questions about the setting, character sheet coming soon.

Last edited:
♡ ♡ ᕬ ᕬ ♡ ♡
+ ♡ (⌯'-'⌯) ♡ +
┏━♡━ U U━♡━┓
♡ Hii! I am
interested! But
I have a
question:
Do you allow
mythical
creatures like
unicorns or
kitsunes? Or
no? It's fine if
not! I'll adjust! ♡
┗━♡━━━━♡━┛

♡ ♡ ᕬ ᕬ ♡ ♡
+ ♡ (⌯'-'⌯) ♡ +
┏━♡━ U U━♡━┓
♡ Hii! I am
interested! But
I have a
question:
Do you allow
mythical
creatures like
unicorns or
kitsunes? Or
no? It's fine if
not! I'll adjust! ♡
┗━♡━━━━♡━┛
Kitsune may be allowed, though they are the "human with foxtails that can turn into foxes" variety, they are trickster spirits mostly from the east of Ulgaria thought to be related to the Fae
Interested!
Though I have to ask, what all are we allowed as far as playable races go?
The common fantasy races all fly, so Orcs, Goblins, Hobgoblins, Humans, Gnomes. Some stranger stuff like Ogres, Plantfolk, Shades and Undead are also allowed.

Demons/Angels are not allowed, though stuff like Aasimar or Tiefling may be allowed. Centaurs and other quadrapeds are allowed, but of course you have the issue of logistics like movement in places not designed for Centaurs.

Kitsune may be allowed, though they are the "human with foxtails that can turn into foxes" variety, they are trickster spirits mostly from the east of Ulgaria thought to be related to the Fae

The common fantasy races all fly, so Orcs, Goblins, Hobgoblins, Humans, Gnomes. Some stranger stuff like Ogres, Plantfolk, Shades and Undead are also allowed.

Demons/Angels are not allowed, though stuff like Aasimar or Tiefling may be allowed. Centaurs and other quadrapeds are allowed, but of course you have the issue of logistics like movement in places not designed for Centaurs.
Okay, how about more reptilian humanoids?

Hmmm, I was just thinking that if they were around, then they'd likely be domesticated by the Lizard folk.
They are revered and domesticated yes, though keep in mind, Dinosaur pets would be hard to maintain and or in general trying to keep them in large cities. While people maybe fine with a hunting dog, most people would turn their heads at a Velociraptor or similar trudging along with someone.

So we have varying levels of modernization, with some on par with typical sci-fi civilizations and everything below that, or is it a level lower and below?

So we have varying levels of modernization, with some on par with typical sci-fi civilizations and everything below that, or is it a level lower and below?
Basically the highest level is around Steampunk/ WW1 style, there are steampunk and clockwork robots and such but there are also still lands inhabited mostly by like nomadic tribes who live on horseback and full feudal style kingdoms.

Hi!!

interested! Is OOC on discord or RPN?
I will make an OOC chat here, but I will also make a discord.

I will also make a character sheet, though probably tomorrow, as I need to sleep soon for an early work shift tomorrow. If you have any questions ask them here or message me in PMs.

Basically the highest level is around Steampunk/ WW1 style, there are steampunk and clockwork robots and such but there are also still lands inhabited mostly by like nomadic tribes who live on horseback and full feudal style kingdoms.
Good to know. I think I have a better idea of what I'm going to do now.

Ohoho! I would love to hear about em!

I am also getting home from work soon so I can make a character sheet.
♦ I have a techno-mage who either is the person who introduced the full mix of tech and magic or the decedent of the creator and aims to advance it even further.
♦ A medium that uses the skills and abilities of the spirits they connect with.
♦ A swordsman/woman who quit the royal guard to further their goal of creating opening a restaurant.
♦ Priest/Priestess fighting on behalf of a temple/church

I'm thinking a somewhat paleolithic tribal warrior with a full grown Styracosaurus mount from one of the more remote regions. Likely got bored and decided to explore the world outside of her home without any knowledge of how more, civilized folks interact with each other. Not to mention money and fashion.

The character sheet it up folks, it's the first one I have ever made so feedback is appreciated. Feel free to post!​

I think it looks fun. How does the magic system work exactly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back