Types of role plays and things role players do that annoy you

The zombie apocalypse with no emotion whatsoever. If you just saw your wife violently tear off your daughter's face, you would not be the gun slinging bad ass, you would be an emotional wreck (Actually backstory of a character I rp'd with). I feel like a good zombie roleplay can only come out if it's a thick and emotional one, or it's a satire of other zombie flicks.

[QUOTE="Jaw Breaker]The zombie apocalypse with no emotion whatsoever. If you just saw your wife violently tear off your daughter's face, you would not be the gun slinging bad ass, you would be an emotional wreck (Actually backstory of a character I rp'd with). I feel like a good zombie roleplay can only come out if it's a thick and emotional one, or it's a satire of other zombie flicks.

[/QUOTE]
YES! YES! HOLY FUCK YES! HOLY I CAN'T EVEN SAY YES WITH WITH EMPHASIS YES!

original

The thing that makes me want to tug out my hair and shove it down someone's throat is when *shudders and chokes down bile* a charcter has a vast knowledge of languages with no great reason to. If you are of German descent and live in the country, HOW THE HELL WOULD YOU KNOW FLUENT SWAHILI ?

This has probably been mentioned more than once in the last pages, but what I hate are one-liners. If it happens too often it just makes me lose my interest in the whole RP.

What can also totally ruin an RP for me if people just adding stuff without discussing it first, and then especially when it's stuff that doesn't make sense. Like, even in a fantasy RP you shouldn't be able to just everything "because it's fantasy"...

[QUOTE="Sora San]Muffins.

[/QUOTE]
Lol, randomness is so funny! Comic genius over here. I mean honestly, what was this post trying to achieve?

One thing I've found annoying is that sometimes when a fight comes up, the other player has this preconceived notion that their character will win regardless of circumstances, never minding any equal footing, end of discussion. The most aggravating part however, has to be that some of these people will deny having expected to win once confronted with the reality that they stand a fair chance at losing said fight.

[QUOTE="The Fuzzy Pixel]One thing I've found annoying is that sometimes when a fight comes up, the other player has this preconceived notion that their character will win regardless of circumstances, never minding any equal footing, end of discussion. The most aggravating part however, has to be that some of these people will deny having expected to win once confronted with the reality that they stand a fair chance at losing said fight.

[/QUOTE]
I agree with you on this point as long as you don't just decide the losing character will die. Killing characters in RP's should, in my opinion, always be discussed with the specific player.

Thanks to a lot of total bullcrap that happened in another forum a few years back, I can't stand overly dark and angsty characters. When a character's backstory can be summed up as "HIS PARENTS DEID AND HIS GRILLFRIEND WAS RAPPED AND HIS DOG SUIDIDED AND NOW EVERYTHING IS DARKNESSSSSS!" I have to try not to projectile vomit all over my screen. Of course, my views are heavily colored by unfortunate teen experiences, so take that with a grain of salt.

HalfTime said:
Thanks to a lot of total bullcrap that happened in another forum a few years back, I can't stand overly dark and angsty characters. When a character's backstory can be summed up as "HIS PARENTS DEID AND HIS GRILLFRIEND WAS RAPPED AND HIS DOG SUIDIDED AND NOW EVERYTHING IS DARKNESSSSSS!" I have to try not to projectile vomit all over my screen. Of course, my views are heavily colored by unfortunate teen experiences, so take that with a grain of salt.
I feel like alot of people are cornered into making overly dramatic backstories. When someone put this on their Character Sheet (Background 2 to three paragraphs) it becomes hard for the once normal person to fit their once normal life into the background and reach the limit.

[QUOTE="Jaw Breaker]I feel like alot of people are cornered into making overly dramatic backstories. When someone put this on their Character Sheet (Background 2 to three paragraphs) it becomes hard for the once normal person to fit their once normal life into the background and reach the limit.

[/QUOTE]
I just don't think people realize that a background isn't just the bad moments in life but also the good.

I'd consider myself a normal roleplayer but I can still sit down and make a rather large bio without anything tragic. An entirely normal person. And I've done it before.

A friend of mine includes questions that people can answer to fill their bio and I've been thinking about doing the same thing. Kinda points out that a bio of that size isn't just all these big tragic moments.

Atom said:
I just don't think people realize that a background isn't just the bad moments in life but also the good.
I'd consider myself a normal roleplayer but I can still sit down and make a rather large bio without anything tragic. An entirely normal person. And I've done it before.

A friend of mine includes questions that people can answer to fill their bio and I've been thinking about doing the same thing. Kinda points out that a bio of that size isn't just all these big tragic moments.
Agreed. But I still feel as if the background is unnecessary WAY to often.

[QUOTE="Jaw Breaker]Agreed. But I still feel as if the background is unnecessary WAY to often.

[/QUOTE]
I think it depends on the level. If I'm running something detailed then I want a personality that's built from a really good in-depth bio. I want to see what in your life caused you to act like this or that. If I run something casual I'm not as demanding.

But I feel a larger demand for a detailed RP helps people put more thought into a character and become more attached, guaranteeing they won't duck out. Just my opinion though.

Basically, when rpers don't read the info section. For example, it might say, "X event happened a century ago." Cool. Then, you see a character that says "Y was there when X happened." Hmmm...

lets check the age. Ah, you're sixteen. How does that work?

Also, the overabundance of teenagers. Yeah, it makes sense to have a lot of them, but in, say, a harvest moon RP, there should be more than one person twenty or older.

Also, it's been said, but mental illnesses. My brother has schizophrenia and another is bipolar. I have a social anxiety disorder, myself. It doesn't bother me if done properly, but people tend to just make things up and I HATE it.

I think one of my biggest peeves is when people blatantly refuse to even try roleplaying the opposite gender. Sure, I understand if you don't find it as entertaining as the other, but when someone refuses to even give it a shot, it just annoys me so much. I see loads of people labelling partner searches in the 1x1 section as 'looking for male partners only' because they want to roleplay with male characters. Uh, news flash. Not only guys roleplay male characters.

I also frigging hate it when people write loads of filler and crap to try and account for the fact that they didn't have too much to contribute to the roleplay at that moment. Quantity does not equal to quality.

Another thing I hate is when people never ever use full stops. And you have to read 5 paragraphs of it.

I hate it when a character is presented completely different from how they are first created. I e time in an RP I created someone made a 'slightly shy 12 year old girl who is loyal and smart.' I thought, er, okay, not a bad character. Then when the roleplay began, this is how you could sum up the character; 'Shy, 12 year old who acts nine, rarely fights, gets scared of everything.' And 99 percent of the time she was acting cute. And rarely had any effect on the roleplay. Then a fight scene happens, and she is bragging about how she is a really good fighter, and somehow beats up a 25 year old guy with a gun with one hit.

Hate those characters. I don't even think it qualified as Mary Sue, it was just annoying.

For the cat is a cat, who is a cat, and does things.... Catty.

People who romanticize mental illness in Roleplays. "When Mary met Drake she knew she'd never feel the need to kill herself again."

It's complete crap! Not to mention extremely offensive, especially if played so wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• When players put little to NO effort into a character sheet.
  • When personality is listed in a character sheet. At this point, I never put personality in my CS's, because I want to have them showcased as the RP goes on. I don't want to strictly follow a single regimen, unrelentingly sticking to a few paragraphs I wrote in the personality section. I want my character to evolve and change as the RP goes on, and for fellow players to get an understanding of how the character works through interaction, not just from the CS.
  • Metagaming. No explanation needed.
  • Auto-attacks and constant no-selling. By no-selling, I mean refusing to let your character get hit, even ONCE. That just irks me.

It annoys me when someone is constantly getting injured, after they just got healed. That's it.

Progress01 said:
It annoys me when someone is constantly getting injured, after they just got healed. That's it.
Why's that?

Progress01 said:
Because they are calling too much attention too themselves, and it never works.
Mmm not always. What if it's for character development?

Atom said:
Mmm not always. What if it's for character development?
It's not exactly character development when it's constant, and happens randomly from reasons out of nowhere.

Progress01 said:
It's not exactly character development when it's constant, and happens randomly from reasons out of nowhere.
Mmmm I suppose yea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back