• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Multiple Settings TROUBLESHOOTING. . . [INT. CHECK] CLOSED

arly

he/him
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
troubleshooting...
access granted
... scroll up
// premise ...
#action
#monster-hunting
#workplace-sol
The Troubleshooter's Office showed up one day without warning, as if it'd always been right in the heart of the city. In a block of municipal offices and law firms, it looks official and generic enough that few think to wonder what it is. Everyone who walks in wears a suit, and they all carry ID badges that certainly look official: No one bothers to ask the rest.

It's fortunate, really, that no one bothers to inquire into the business or its appearance, since its real purpose is so heavily classified. Though they might be bogged down by the same bureaucracy, the Troubleshooter's Office stands a league apart from any other government branch. It's a secret that's been mostly well-kept, due to a combination of government intervention and most of the witnesses not being alive to testify, but whatever you call them—monsters, demons, the sign of the end times—they're entirely real, and they've been running rampant. With the increase in missing persons cases, the state has oh-so-graciously provided just a bit more funding to their U.T.C.U. (Unidentified Trouble Containment Unit) and relocated them to center of Tokyo, where activity is at its highest.

The Troubleshooter's Office is the home base of those U.T.C.U. members, though with such a small unit, they don't make up all the staff. The rest are mostly regular citizens who just happen to have the skills to do the dirty work and the desperation to live off peanuts while still keeping quiet. The Unit Officers provide information and equipment, and their so-called contractors carry out the rest. Maybe they'll even save the city while they're at it. Though, like any employee, most of them just want to get through the day without having to clean up too many bloodstains later.

// lore...
Scientists have their theories as to the origins of what they call Troubles, but no conclusive explanation has ever been found. What is known is that their genetic structure is entirely unrecognizable in comparison to other earthly creatures. Troubles often heal from injuries in seconds, can walk away from impacts any human would find fatal, and have far more strength and bloodthirst than any human is capable of. The payment for this excessive ability seems to be a near-constant need for flesh and blood to feed on. To better organize reports of Trouble activity, a 1-4 grading system has been devised.
1 - Cockroach: Mindless, small, and more or less harmless, until they form a swarm. Unfortunately, Cockroaches love to nest and breed, going undetected until they’re a bitch to take out. Easy to kill, but it’s stupid to underestimate their strength in numbers.
2 - Chimera: Well, it turns out even a creature with the intelligence of a rock can cause destruction if it’s big enough. Chimeras show no sign of thought beyond killing intent, but their larger stature makes them much more difficult targets than the Cockroaches. Luckily, they don’t create the same breeding grounds, so you usually only have one bloodthirsty monster at your throat.
3 - Changeling: Troubles taking the form of humans, capable of human speech and intelligence. Don’t let the shell fool you, though—they lack human fragility, and are more than capable of showing a monstrous form if cornered in combat. Some Changelings, instead of forming their own identity, will act as a parasite and take over an existing human host, using their face and voice to lure in loved ones as prey. While there are cases of hosts recovering from a Changeling takeover, they’re rare, and U.T.C.U. members are unlikely to trust any Trouble who claims to regain their humanity. You better be able to kill your best friend if you want to make it through a Changeling attack alive.
4 - Calamity: A catch-all term for the worst of the worst: Any Trouble with a double digit kill count count is referred to as a Calamity. Usually refers to extremely volatile Chimeras or especially conniving Changelings.

And how is an ordinary person meant to fight off these Troubles? Mostly through tenacity and survival instinct, though they are given a few tools to make not dying a bit more manageable. The Troubleshooter's uniform, while appearing as a simple office worker's shirt and tie, is designed to give as much protection as possible while not compromising maneuverability. Additionally, all Troubleshooters are fit with a pistol—while the gun itself is mundane, the coating of the bullets prevents Troubles from healing, making sure those things stay dead. Other weapons to suit specific Troubleshooter needs can be applied for, if you have the patience: If not, some Troubleshooters are known to use weapons procured from non-government sources. The Troubleshooter's employee badge can be used to acquire entry to most locations without question, and flashing it will sometimes get you a discount at the supermarket, so don't say there aren't any perks to the job!
// roles ...
scroll
branch leader
taken

1/1
Who would’ve dreamed that after training for years to join the highest ranks of government intelligence, you’d end up in charge of such a critical office while still barely making ends meet? The luster of being trusted with top-secret intel has likely been long lost for the branch leader. Still, they're the one in charge of the Troubleshooters branch, and the fate of the city sort of rests in their hands. They do their due diligence to keep the place somewhat under control.
secretary
open
0/1
Even monster hunters need someone to get the paperwork done! The secretary is rarely the one getting their hands dirty, but those hands are more than cramped from pushing papers. They're given access to all reports of Trouble activity, and are often the one making calls and assignments when the branch leader can't be reached. (And yes, they're still issued a weapon for good measure.)
head researcher
taken
1/1
It's rare for a U.T.C.U. researcher to ever cross paths with field officers. However, this researcher has been pushing for an experimental program involving a certain Changeling specimen, and it's finally been approved under one condition: The researcher must always be present at the branch to oversee the Changeling's behavior. Because of this, they've become an unexpected part of the team.
newbie contractors
open
0/2
Waltzing in for a job interview with no idea of the stakes led to signing contracts and strict NDAs, and now, after only a two week orientation, these two are fighting Troubles. Maybe there's something to be said for the bright-eyed dedication of a new recruit. But, it's just as likely that their only hope of survival will be sticking as close to the older officers as possible.
veteran contractors
open
0/2
It can be fun for the experienced officers to see themselves in the new recruits. Of course, any naivete surrounding the job has to be gone by now for these two. It takes a rare skill to survive in this job for as long as they have; It's a commitment that they really should be getting paid more for.
changeling
open
0/1
Chosen directly by the head researcher, this Changeling is meant to be a model case for an experimental new program: Using weaker Changelings who show near-human qualities to fight other Troubles. This Changeling lives off only blood bags, and has shown no signs of true bloodthirst towards humanity since their capture in the lab. There's no promising that their new coworkers are going to trust that, though.

// rules ...
Discord will be required for ooc, since posting schedules will be run through there and plotting for events is going to require player feedback. Please be willing to communicate and cooperate with other players, and pretty please don't be a dick! Problem players will be booted without remorse. Feel free to dm me with any issues.
Activity and literacy requirements are lax. No need to wax poetic, but please be capable of meaningful posts that move the story forward. There will be a loose posting schedule, but players can always feel free to communicate about their availability if something comes up. I'll reach out in the event of complete radio silence, and if no communication is given, the player will eventually be booted.
This is a small group with limited roles, and as such is going to be application based. Further details will be in the cs thread: All you need is a short application there, and once it's been approved, I'll send a link with the discord and you can move forward with a full cs. There's currently no deadline for apps, and for the next week I'll be reviewing them as they're submitted. Please be aware of other applications to prevent excessive overlap between two characters. Always feel free to dm with questions!
welcome to the working week!
© reveriee

Last edited:
Ooh, I absolutely have an idea for the Changeling - I'll have an application up in the morning.

super glad to see some interest! (also amused that someone commented on chainsaw man before i got the chance to- which ironically, is the one of this idea's inspirations that i haven't even watched, even though what i do know of it pushed quite a few aspects of this. other sources of heavy inspo were gokurakugai and [oddly] demon slayer, if anyone was wondering!)

since the cs thread is hiding in plain sight a bit, i wanted to clarify just in case anyone might not have realized that it's already linked: The cs is at the top of that first post, and i'll also drop it here for good measure. past that, bump! \o/

honestly i’m a sucker for themes like this, definitely interested!! may put something up once i can get home from classes

I am also interested! I'm happy with whatever role, but is it first come first serve? I'd be interested in making a changeling that inhabits a human (sort of a dual character), but I wouldn't want to step on any toes.

I am also interested! I'm happy with whatever role, but is it first come first serve? I'd be interested in making a changeling that inhabits a human (sort of a dual character), but I wouldn't want to step on any toes.
glad to have you! while i'll be reviewing them as they come in, roles aren't designed to be first come first serve, and if there are multiple applicants for the same role i'll be choosing the best fit between them. i'd hate for limited roles to limit creativity here, though: while there's only one role for lab captured changeling-turned-weapon, i'm absolutely open to other ideas coming into the mix that weren't specifically outlined in the roles--one of the contractors could be secretly host to a changeling, for example. so if you have ideas but are worried about stepping on others' toes, you can always feel free to pm me with your thoughts, and we can potentially work something new out!

i really wasn't expecting applications to come in so quickly! thank you to everyone for the interest, and submitting such lovely characters ^^ all slots have been applied for, but since i'm aware there are at least a few people still hoping to put in applications, i'll hold off on further judgements of the roles.

apps will remain open for the next 24 hours. since the applications aren't meant to be in extreme depth, this feels to me to be adequate time--however, if you're interested but aren't able to get an application in within this time frame, please let me know and i'll be happy to extend it a bit further! otherwise, i'll close up applications and announce the roles then.

Finally got my lad up, courtesy of Mizzy! She slid me along the interest check and I really love the idea! Willing to change all and anything!

applications are now closed! once again, thank you so much to everyone who applied. i'll be reviewing the apps and should come to a decision in the next couple hours: pms will be sent to the final roster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back