• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Trial by Fire - Exalted 2e OOC

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Rykon Rykon Thanks, I appreciate the sentiment, and I'm glad you liked it! I usually try to do pretty close to the same as you're describing, and assume my control is limited to declaring attempted actions, because I would hate to dictate a select event and then find out I screwed something up that the GM/ST was going to do differently. One thing I have always liked about Exalted is how players are encouraged to create (to a limited extent, of course) the setting drapery and fill in details the ST doesn't touch upon. To me, as long as a player doesn't abuse it, it is a fun way to find and build little unintended character moments inside the greater story the ST is shaping.

I certainly wouldn't have done that here, controlling the actions of another character, if not for the fact that Koharu is essentially a robot with a motivation to obey my commands and I had no way to use her to interact with other characters outside of my own. Moving forward, I imagine in 'public places' I'll just be giving her requests/orders and listening to what Sherwood dictates occurs, so that I don't accidently overshadow via controlling multiple characters.

I was originally going to just RP going down to the room and checking the closet, then being surprised by the inactive machine and finding a way to power it up. As I wrote though, I started getting really into exploring the pre-incarnation's room and using that as a chance to examine what First Age Solars might appear like to Second Age characters with no knowledge of them save for the items they find left behind and maybe shredded bits of memory. And once I was inside Viktor's head, it was only a hop-skip-and a jump to also turning the finding of Koharu into its own scene, albeit it less focused on the mystery and more on the comedic awkwardness of the situation.

I also had fun planting some more seeds for possible mini-plot/character threads for later, both via the items found/room's décor and Koharu's mostly useless memories (though that was also insurance to make sure I couldn't just use her later to find out everything about the First Age we want without work, while still leaving possibility for a little bit to slip through when Sherwood wants). As a past ST, I really enjoy creating character loose-ends in game because I feel like it gives the ST something to twist about their fingers later and have a more personal connection.to individual characters.

Haha, I guess I'm doing the same as you, because all the sudden my quick post of appreciation has grown into a big block of text!! xD Thanks again, glad you enjoyed it!

Rykon Rykon Thanks, I appreciate the sentiment, and I'm glad you liked it! I usually try to do pretty close to the same as you're describing, and assume my control is limited to declaring attempted actions, because I would hate to dictate a select event and then find out I screwed something up that the GM/ST was going to do differently. One thing I have always liked about Exalted is how players are encouraged to create (to a limited extent, of course) the setting drapery and fill in details the ST doesn't touch upon. To me, as long as a player doesn't abuse it, it is a fun way to find and build little unintended character moments inside the greater story the ST is shaping.
This is why I'm a fan of 3E lore mechanics. Players have rules for declaring facts now.

I certainly wouldn't have done that here, controlling the actions of another character, if not for the fact that Koharu is essentially a robot with a motivation to obey my commands and I had no way to use her to interact with other characters outside of my own. Moving forward, I imagine in 'public places' I'll just be giving her requests/orders and listening to what Sherwood dictates occurs, so that I don't accidently overshadow via controlling multiple characters.

I was originally going to just RP going down to the room and checking the closet, then being surprised by the inactive machine and finding a way to power it up. As I wrote though, I started getting really into exploring the pre-incarnation's room and using that as a chance to examine what First Age Solars might appear like to Second Age characters with no knowledge of them save for the items they find left behind and maybe shredded bits of memory. And once I was inside Viktor's head, it was only a hop-skip-and a jump to also turning the finding of Koharu into its own scene, albeit it less focused on the mystery and more on the comedic awkwardness of the situation.

I also had fun planting some more seeds for possible mini-plot/character threads for later, both via the items found/room's décor and Koharu's mostly useless memories (though that was also insurance to make sure I couldn't just use her later to find out everything about the First Age we want without work, while still leaving possibility for a little bit to slip through when Sherwood wants). As a past ST, I really enjoy creating character loose-ends in game because I feel like it gives the ST something to twist about their fingers later and have a more personal connection.to individual characters.

Haha, I guess I'm doing the same as you, because all the sudden my quick post of appreciation has grown into a big block of text!! xD Thanks again, glad you enjoyed it!
Makes perfect sense with characters that essentially represent background dots. The habits I mentioned earlier keep me from playing beast masters cause both myself and the GM tend to forget the familiars.

I will be posting shortly with a general description of the town you are in to get the IC part of the game moving forward once more.

In your replies, please give me a general idea of what you would have been doing for the past year, be it in the town or traveling to discover the Manses that your Hearthstones come from.

If you want, we can start with the ceremony, even if it's just referencing it as an event in part of the time skip. Seems like a wasted opportunity if we sweep by it off-screen considering the importance it has.

A city wide celebration. I like it. I just wanted to make sure we were on the same page as to the timing of this.

Sherwood Sherwood I have created intented 'stats' for the wedding rings, which I believe would rank as Artifact 2 (I'll list the rundown and explanation for your approval below).

ORICHALCUM BANDS OF AUSPICIOUS BETROTHAL (ARTIFACT 2 or 3)
APPEARANCE
- Both rings would look like muted gold-colored wedding bands with a smooth texture that easily reflects light. They would both have the phrase "---" embossed onto the ring, so that it could be read by sight or touch (assuming Darian could read it by touch similar to braille).
ESSENCE/WP COSTS SUMMARY
- Attunement would require committing 1m
- 'Emotion' ability requires expenditure of 1 temporary WP
- 'Sunset Plain' ability requires expenditure of 1 temporary WP
- 'Damage Transfer' ability requires 1m per health level
IMMEDIATE EFFECTS
- As long as the ring is attuned, wearer gains a supernaturally reinforced positive intimacy of love towards the wearer of the partner ring. This ability would activate upon the saying of vows, and is reinforced by the Essence attuned to it in that moment.
- Whenever the ring owner is compelled with natural mental influence to engage in an action that would harm their partner (the target of the supernatural intimacy) physically or emotionally, they treat the influence as an unacceptable order. If they are compelled by supernatural mental influence, then they add (Essence/2) to their Integrity score for purposes of all calculated MDVs (though it does count towards the maximum for bonus dice added to a roll).
EMOTION ABILITY
- After expending 1 temporary WP, the ring owner can feel the emotions their partner is experiencing for the remainder of the scene and can send their own emotions to their partner. While nothing verbal can be communicated between the two ring owners, after enough years of experience they may perhaps learn to communicate in a rudimentary sense via the emotions shared between each other.
- In order for a ring owner to sense their partner's emotions, both partners much be located in the same realm of existence (such as Creation, Malfeas, Underworld, etc.). Otherwise, the cost is paid but the ability fails.
SUNSET PLAIN ABILITY
- The ring owner takes a meditative stance and spends ten minutes getting their mind into a meditative state. This is represented through taking a meditative action (treat mechanically like a shape terrestrial sorcery action), and paying 1 temporary WP. Once this is accomplished, they will open their eyes to find themselves sitting in a green meadow with the sun shining down upon them as though it were perpetually setting. While here, the ring owner feels relaxed and at peace with the world. This chance to focus and recharge grants them a single Conviction roll, allowing them to gain 1 point of temporary WP per success, as though they were waking from a restful sleep. This deep-relaxation recovery of WP may only be used once every seven days, as the character will need at least a week before their spiritual Essence no longer feels rejuvenated.
- The main benefit gleaned from this mental state is the ability for the owner to meet with their partner on the sunset plain. As long as they have both paid the cost to arrive, the couple may appear to one another and hold conversations of indefinite length. The only limiting factor is that their bodies outside the sunset plain still continue to exist, and require their normal sustenance for survival. Additionally, if their body is injured while meditating, the first attack gains the benefit of being unexpected, though subsequent attacks will not as the harm will pull the ring owner immediately away from the sunset plain and back to their body.
- In order for a couple to meet and communicate on the sunset plain, both participants much be located in the same realm of existence (such as Creation, Malfeas, Underworld, etc.). Otherwise, the cost for traveling to the sunset plain is paid but the ability to meet fails.
DAMAGE TRANSFER ABILITY
- The ring owner and their partner must be located within (Combined Essence x 10) yards of each other for this ability to function. If the ring owner's partner suffers post-soak damage that would fill their Incapacitated health level, the ring owner may shoulder their burden by paying 1m per post-soak damage prevented and then taking a number of aggravated health levels of damage equal to the number they prevented. This is displayed as bright golden flashes of starlight where the weapon that would have damaged the wounded partner instead disappears into fate, only to reappear instantly colliding with the ring owner and dealing them horrible rending wounds.
ADDITIONAL "UNINTENDED" DETRIMENTS
- If at any point the ring owner's partner is forced to fill their Incapacitated health level due to taking damage, the ring owner takes an immediate point of Limit.
- If the ring owner's partner dies an unnatural death (here represented by anything involving foul play or malicious intent), the owner immediately loses a point of permanent Limit and suffers under the full effects of Berserker Rage for a scene.
- Additionally, in the case of partner death, the ring owner immediately gains an appropriate negative supernatural intimacy towards the cause of their partner's untimely demise. If they do not know who caused their lover's death, the player will assign this negative intimacy to an individual or group that their character would most likely blame or suspect. Rolls to injure the target of this negative intimacy will not spur Compassion rolls if they apply, and killing the individual (or group) responsible destroys this supernatural intimacy.

Explanation of Artifact level:
- The first three abilities (Immediate, emotion, and sunset plain) all function as low-mid level 1 artifact powers. Increasing Integrity in this manner is the equivalent to using the First or Second Integrity excellency, which is an Essence 1 charm. Similarly, feeling and sending emotions (or even full communications) can be done quicker and with less restrictions using certain level 2 artifacts, so I think that definitely places these as high level 1 at most.
- Sunset Plain's ability to recover temporary Willpower, though limited to once a week and requiring a roll to succeed, allows a power that for the most part can't be duplicated with most other items or charms. I would think it would sit somewhere closer to mid-level 2, if simply because of it's uniqueness of effect.
- The final 'damage transfer' ability (here's where the higher level powers come into play). The ability to absolutely negate damage from spilling onto the health track is incredibly unique, and roughly equivalent to the charm Adamant Skin Technique and its ability to entirely prevent damage. As AST is an Essence 3 charm, I would place the ability towards the top of level 2, but I also think its uniqueness should be recognized and give it the push up to low-level 3. Once an artifact hits level 3, it is providing a great benefit in a select area, and I think the ability to negate damage has to put it up here.
- So, totaled so far, we're looking at an accumulation of (guesstimated) level 1+1+1+2+3=8
- Then there are the drawbacks. Having to attune for 1m is not so bad, nor is the 1 WP cost to use many of the minor abilities, especially considering one of the abilities (if rolled well) could help replenish the WP being spent. There is risk associated with meditation, to the extent that the character could be injured while out-of-body, but that seems like something they could potentially take precautions against and negate, basically removing the risk. So I'd say that sits at about 1-2 points of drawback, combining all the lesser ability costs together.
- The main drawbacks related to the final ability are much larger though. Having to eat the damage being prevented is easily a 1 point drawback on its own, which is exacerbated when considering it all becomes aggravated damage, pushing it high-1 or low-2. On top of this, failing to prevent enough damage can still lead to an increase in temporary Limit, which I think solidifies it as a 2 point drawback.
- Though the Berserker Rage is really just a mechanical way of displaying angry/distraught consequences, the lose of a permanent point of Limit could have definite negative effects on a character moving forward, certainly equaling at least 1 point of drawback itself.
- The gaining of the supernatural intimacy will haunt the character, especially if they tend to make decisions based on Compassion, as it slowly warps their reputation to one of a killer or vengeance-seeker rather than one of a hero. While not a massive drain on their stats (abilities/attributes) mechanically, the repercussions could have strong effects on more RP based things such as allies and contacts as some people might eventually try to distance themselves from the character or prevent their passage in certain areas due to their reputation.
- So, totaling the drawback points, we end up at something roughly around 1/2+2+1+1=5/6
- Ultimately, subtracting the drawback points from the bonuses leaves us at around artifact rating 2 or 3. Thus, I think either of these scores would be appropriate ratings for this set of artifacts.

COMPONENTS
- In addition, artifacts require a number of esoteric components equal to their level. So dependant on what you decide between levels 2 or 3 will dictate how many exotic components need to be included in the creation of the artifact.
- For the first component, I was thinking of using trace amounts of Starmetal. Marriage invites the themes of destiny (star-crossed lovers) and the damage transfer ability works on the basis of shaping a weapon's fate to strike a different opponent to spare a loved one. So I think it would be fitting to include a thin core of Starmetal inside of the rings, perhaps it could even be the core the Orichalcum is then directly bonded around.
- For the second component, I thought it could be neat to take some kind of item that is either important to both Aredin and Darian, or something that has an arcane connection to each of them, and using it as part of the fuel for the smelting process. This idea would treat it sort of like an offering to the little god of the forge, encouraging them to weave this small piece of the character's spirits and Essences into the artifact. I considered a strand of hair from each of them, if going the arcane link route, but that just sounds so mundane to me. What are somethings you think would be good for such a purpose?
- Dependent on whether you rule it to be artifact 2 or 3, we could need a third component. For something like this, I was thinking something a little more esoteric could be fun, and might even provide a short adventure for Viktor to go off and gather during the interim period moving from Chiaroscuro to Gwynnin. Perhaps something like the love of a mountain's peak for the clouds that surround it? That could be taken abstractly, requiring a possible visit to the Fair Folk (which would have to be hidden from Aredin, and would most likely infuriate him to know they played a role in his wedding band, which could set up for fun dramatic RP down the road). Or it could be taken in a more literal sense, and require traveling to meet with the Terrestrial god of a nearby mountain and convincing a select air spirit to visit with the little god, so that he will then present Viktor with a valued treasure of his (or something).

What are your thoughts concerning all this? I know its a lot, but I look forward to your response!! Thanks!

Aredin's significant item in an arcane link sense would be salt-water or the timber of a fishing boat. Much of the marriage to him symbolizes finding what he once lost, which is family. The salt-water and fishing boat represent his father, and the trade for which he, and his twin, were being groomed.

Edit: I know Sherwood's generally averse to custom stuff, which is especially reasonable with this game line, but just seeing all this is really cool. I like it.

Last edited:
I am thinking that both Rykon Rykon and MasterDAF MasterDAF are in need of some extra xp for the work the two of you have done in making up the basic constitution of your new realm and for the detail you have put into the rings.

Each of you get 3 more xp. You've earned it.

A quick look over on the rings don't trigger any horrible response in me, so I'll go ahead and let you make them up.

I guess I can see that. It's just that the shift toward the Elder Lunars mostly running (in)breeding programs that knocked them off the favorite pedestal, though when your sample consists of Raksi and Maha-Suchi as the most prominent it kind of poisons the well. Due to our local group having worn themselves out of ever wanting to play them again before I joined, I essentially gave up hope of ever getting to play one in a meaningful capacity.

Edit: I'd be interested in playing a lunar in a majority lunar group for once though. If you decide to run it Sherwood Sherwood

Even with all of that, they're still better than the canon elder Solars. Hell, they're largely better than several of the canon contemporary Solars.

I am thinking that both Rykon Rykon and MasterDAF MasterDAF are in need of some extra xp for the work the two of you have done in making up the basic constitution of your new realm and for the detail you have put into the rings.

Each of you get 3 more xp. You've earned it.

A quick look over on the rings don't trigger any horrible response in me, so I'll go ahead and let you make them up.

Whoo hoo!!! Also, thanks for the a-okay boss!

Aredin's significant item in an arcane link sense would be salt-water or the timber of a fishing boat. Much of the marriage to him symbolizes finding what he once lost, which is family. The salt-water and fishing boat represent his father, and the trade for which he, and his twin, were being groomed.

Edit: I know Sherwood's generally averse to custom stuff, which is especially reasonable with this game line, but just seeing all this is really cool. I like it.

Cool, that's a neat personal way to go about it! I'm curious to find out what Psychie Psychie (Darian's) significant items for arcane link purposes would be. Perhaps I'll have each of them present their chosen item at the forge, so that they can play a role in the creation of their rings. I don't know yet, I'm undecided as of now, but I am playing with the idea.

Edit Just Remembered to Mention This: Also, I would like to include a phrase embossed on both of the rings (currently holding a placeholder in my previous post as "---"). I'm drawing a blank here, so if anyone has a neat idea, I am certainly all ears! It wouldn't have any mechanical effect, but I think that could be really special for their characters RP-wise.

I definitely appreciate that he's letting me go out on a limb and make this as a custom artifact. I would agree 100% that letting players make custom items always introduces some worrisome risks, but when players aren't abusing the system they can add such a great extra layer of meaning/sentimentality to the items they craft. Plus, crafting an item at artifact level 3 or lower helps I would think, as it limits the benefits to be gained and are less likely to break the setting. ;)

Last edited:
Sherwood Sherwood

I have a few ideas depending on where the group ended up, but I genuinely don't think I can play with both Rykon Rykon and Psychie Psychie in the same game. Their impatience and breakneck posting paces feed off of one another too much.

One of my biggest play-by-post pet peeves is getting sidelined by people unwilling to give me adequate time to post. I am not a quick writer and I try to put a great deal of thought into my posts. It kills any investment in the game for me when I am forced to abandon most of my ideas for lack of time to make the posts.

I'd just end up frustrated and, eventually, angry with them. No insult to the two of you intended, I just cannot keep up with your posting rate, and you both repeatedly ignored my requests to slow your roll. Over a course of weeks. The conceptual unsuitability just made me confront the fact that I already wasn't happy and removed any excuses I had left for continuing with Feihan.

I hate that. I hate that I wasted a solid two weekends on what will just be yet another on my interminable pile of Exalts whose stories I will never get to see make any or adequate progress upon.

Aside from my general distaste for Solars and the splat's apologists, that frustration was the number two reason I just stopped playing Exalted for about four years. The number one reason was that for a year and a half of that time I had no internet access due to having been unemployed.

TL ; DR: At this point, I don't feel I can trust them to even try to permit me to keep up. I have a full time job and limits on how much time I can invest on a daily/every-2-to-3 day basis as a result. When it takes all the time I can put toward the game just to maintain a spot one scene behind the current action, I can't help but feel like I'm wasting said time.

And frankly, while it was nice of folks to apologize after I pointed out I was getting steamrolled the second time, an apology is worthless if you just turn around and make no effort to change the behaviors you apologized for.

I understand that you have frustrations, and I regret not being able to do something about it for you. At this point, I feel that it would not be fair to Psychie and Rykon to ask them to leave the game on your accout. Perhaps we can try another game some other time.

Edit Just Remembered to Mention This: Also, I would like to include a phrase embossed on both of the rings (currently holding a placeholder in my previous post as "---"). I'm drawing a blank here, so if anyone has a neat idea, I am certainly all ears! It wouldn't have any mechanical effect, but I think that could be really special for their characters RP-wise.
One ring to rule them all, one ring to bind them . . . .

I understand that you have frustrations, and I regret not being able to do something about it for you. At this point, I feel that it would not be fair to Psychie and Rykon to ask them to leave the game on your accout. Perhaps we can try another game some other time.
I wasn't going to ask them to. I wasn't going to ask you to ask them to. I agree that wouldn't be fair. I was just explaining why I don't think staying would be a good idea for me personally.

Let me say 'thank you' to MasterDAF MasterDAF for the work on the rings! They are wonderful, and thanks to Sherwood Sherwood for letting you make them. Also, I'm sorry that I was a part of making this game unpleasant for you Thief of Words Thief of Words . That was never my intent, and I doubt that Rykon wanted to make things bad for you.

I'm trying to come up with something appropriate for my arcane link, but I'm drawing a blank. I just don't know what to use. Any hints or suggestions?

I didn't assume y'all intended it.
In hindsight, I think trying to power through the part where the party split was where pace became unrestrained. The intent was to bring focus back to the others outside the prison, but I think the excitement got the better of me. I did not intend for that to happen.

For the arcane link, perhaps something from the north where she grew up? A favored toy, land from her village, a momento from family, all seem like decent options.

I'm still mulling over the engraving.

Current thought on the engraving: From the ashes of broken dreams, two suns become one. One heart, one will, one path to a new day. And in the darkness bind them.

Rykon Rykon I like these suggestions for Darian's arcane link. If Psychie Psychie is on board with them, and Sherwood Sherwood approves, I have an idea that I think could work.

Viktor could head north during the first part of the year we're jumping over, chartering passage with sketchy people to secret him from Chiaroscuro across the Inland Sea up to the northern Threshold. The Inland Sea is one of the greatest seas in Creation, and being a part of the ocean it should be full of saltwater, so he could gather it and place it in some kind of water-tight receptacle (Aredin's arcane link). If told the name and basic location of Darian's old village, he could travel there and collect a large helping of snow from the region (Darian's arcane link). He has the Winterbreath Jar (ironic, never intended it for a purpose like this, but that's luck for 'ya!) so he could pack it full of snow and the snow wouldn't melt.

On the way back Southeast he could stop off somewhere in the Scavenger Lands (maybe Nexus?) to meet up with his old friend and crafting partner Amilar Maseo (thus keeping that intimacy and Lookshyan Contact strong). So near to the great rivers that feed the area, I'm sure they could find an abandoned/derelict fishing trawler and pull a number of reusable timbers from it, then the two of them could craft and enchant these timbers into a cask that will hold up to extreme temperatures of both hot and cold. Then Viktor hops the rest of the way south, (has a short mountain or Fair Folk adventure to claim the esoteric component) and arrives in Gwynnin after the rest of the circle has (assumedly) already begun shaping influence there. As he only needs a trace amount of Starmetal, I assume Viktor would simply request it of Aysik and probably offer a favor or bargain in return.

He could (1) sacrifice the esoteric component to the little god of the forge, (2) smelt the Starmetal and Orichalcum molds together into two separate bands, and then (3) pour the saltwater into the shipwood-turned-cask and add the snow to make it super cold, then dunk the rings into it to flash-cool them and imbue them with the essence of the items within the enchanted cask.

.....starting to think I might have been a Twilight crafter in another life.

Current thought on the engraving: From the ashes of broken dreams, two suns become one. One heart, one will, one path to a new day. And in the darkness bind them.
Just saw this, I like it!! Concise, while still evoking an air of hopefulness and future success through combined efforts! Not sure if the bands will have enough surface area to fit the LoTR reference though, sorry. ;) In all seriousness, if you both like the sound of it, then I am more than glad to make that the phase emblazoned on the rings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back