Advice/Help Tips for a beginner

Avdotya Luna

As you can see the title, I need help, how should I start roleplaying step by step. Where I should begin? I've been checking a lots of resources including both this webside and somewhere else. I noticed, that the best of me as a newcomer RPer is to start RPs, where the community are more beginner-friendlier. In addition, I want to improve my writing skills too and I would like to read, what kind of tips you have.

Also, where I can find beginner-friendly RPs or Outliner/chat RPs?

Try to join RPs first instead of creating them. You've got it the other way around. If you're confident enough of your abilities as a Roleplayer to create a interest check, feel free to do so.

There's never a shortage of casual rp's on the site,but you should try fandoms and fantasy to start anyways. And getting better at writing is best done by either presenting a sample or getting friends to read it for you.

• Making mistakes is okay, you're new to this. Nobody is expecting you to be perfect all the time. If you make mistakes, it's okay to admit you did something wrong and change it.
  • Don't let the idea that you're not as good as somebody else slow you down. Everybody writes at different paces. Don't feel that you have to write an essay as every response or put pressure on yourself to do too much.
  • Let people know that you're new to this and ask them for tips (as you're doing now) so that you can improve. 9 times out of 10 people won't mind giving you advice on what to do.
  • Write a genre that you're comfortable with- don't feel like you have to venture out and write about something unfamiliar for the sake of being a diverse writer. It's okay to start by writing things you're comfortable with.
  • Be inspired by other people's work. It's okay to use ideas for characters and stories that you've seen elsewhere as long as you don't copy them directly.
  • Don't let people tell you what you should and shouldn't write. I've seen a million posts about how much people hate high school based or magical school based roleplays but that's not going to stop me from participating in them. The only rules you have to stick to are the sites.

Bullshit, Jinkx. This is a cynical world — SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST!

The rules that go around these lands:

1. Don't mess up pal. Write good, read good, and don't even thinking about doing one of those chat-RP fuckeries. Nobody does that, especially not the fittest.

2. You're the best. And if you aren't, then you gotta try to be the best. If anyone tries to argue with that, you punch them in the face.

3. Hella damn, if people are writing better than you, then you HAVE to write better than THEM. Read books, bozo — and not the ponce-books that those YA punks read. You can learn good shit from COOL books.

4. You HAVE to be a fantastic, diverse writer — write shit or get your arse handed to ye'. If you can't write, then you have to LEARN how to WRITE. Read books, bozo — different genres, weird genres, doesn't matter.

5. DON'T GET INSPIRATIONS, PAL. Your work should be 1000% original.

6. I'll tell you what to write and what not to write — WRITE COOL SHIT, NOT LAME CRAP. Definitely no high school RPs, bozo.

On a more serious note...

Fandom roleplays are a good place to start because it's easy to write in a setting you're already familiar with. "Kitchen sink" fantasy settings, the kind where almost anything goes, are also good threads to get your feet wet in.

Its okay to start off with a boring character. You can make them more interesting over time.

Roleplaying is all about caring for and accomodating your partner or group' desires for the thread. The most difficult part of a story, for some people, is trying to figure out how total strangers can fit in and also be a hero.

Just post. People like the player who maybe sucks at spelling or has weird characters if they post reliably and are enthusiastic about progressing the story.

Thank you very much for your advices. I'm pretty nervous tho, but it's cool I'll try to find RPs that are more better for me. As welian welian told, fandom is great start. :)

To expand on what others have said

- I might try starting with 1x1s at first as that's a more one x one setting and the other person can devote more time to giving you specific advice on how to improve. Their are a few people throughout the site that would be happy to work with you directly to improve your writing. All ya got to do is just post - hey I need some help anyone would like to roleplay with me and give me some pointers?

- as for reading sort of to build on what welian said, read what you enjoy. the same way writing what you enjoy will help you keep excited and motivated even when things get boring if you read stuff you enjoy you'll likely be more invested in keeping up with it.

- when it comes to reading also start to pay attention to your favorite characters : why do you like those characters? what are aspects of them that you can mimic in your own characterS?

If someone could help tell me how to rp on here...this sound just dumb but,I know how to rp just not on this site.See,I rp on a site ''chatango'' it's so different with the rp on that site and this one so if someone could just help me out and walk me through the rp here that would be really great :)

When I first started, I felt most comfortable RPing in smaller groups. Most times, it would be just with one friend in particular. He was rather nice. With that said, I think you should find smaller groups, or even just participate in 'one on one' play to start. Over time, you'll grow naturally and come to realize what you do and don't like.

The reason I advise against larger groups of players is because it can be really disheartening as a new player when you see varying degrees of quality in posts. Even then, the sheer number of players involved can also be a bit intimidating, I've found. This was my personal experience, anyhow. I hope that helps!

Overall though, this should be a hobby you find fun and one that you do because you find it fun! ^^

Avdotya Luna Avdotya Luna

I know this thread is 84 years old, but I do have some advice.

* There's no shame in humble beginnings. My first RP ever was script-based one-liners. It really gave me a genuine feel for what it was like to pretend to be a character. But don't ever be phased when you see people writing huge paragraphs, because you can do that too.

*Learn how to read a post. It sounds dumb, but it helps to see how others do it. Like, think of how people with longer posts denote their detail, what you imagine their character to be, what does it lack, goods bads and uglies.

*Join before you make. As stated above, it's better to join a RP you feel comfortable with. However, while many seem to think fandom is the way to go, not always. It really depends on what you like best. If you're like me and can count the amount of non-sport fandoms I am a part of on one hand, there are many skill levels in every forum, you just got to find them.

*Think about your character. One exercise I made up for myself was when I was falling asleep, try to imagine having a conversation with your first character. What do they look like, how they act, do they make a scene or are they the scene?

*Be a lion and not a lamb. Have confidence and have fun. People here are nice, and surely the first couple of RPs will give you a friend or two. From there, you can always get feedback, "practice" 1x1 Rps with them, and perhaps discover the type of person YOU are.

I hope this helps!

Sooo... imma just charge in somewhere with a bamf character and wreck everyone, yeah? Juuuust Kidding..
This helped a lot though. Gives me a little less worry just to see others be like, Yeah it's okay to be bad at first. :P

I was SUPER shy when I first started roleplaying. I was so self-concious about my writing, and I was terrified someone would have some sort of rude comment about it if I tried group RPs. That didn't last long, though, the lurking part. I got bored, got into a few 1x1's, and went from there. I think my time lurking helped, though. I got the feel for how things are supposed to be set up, and how they're supposed to be carried out. Maybe go to the subforums for 1x1, or even group RPs, and read some replies/etc. there, and try to understand what it's all for. Start with writing your own "roleplays" by yourself. Play around with words, adjectives, descriptions, different attitudes, styles, characters, problems, etc. If grammar is an issue, get the Grammarly extension. One x One roleplays are a great way to get practice in before a large group RP. I've been on several other RP sites, all pretty lowkey and chill in terms of beginners. Avoid the ones that are obviously for more experienced RP'ers. It all takes time, really. Lots and lots of practice.

As someone who finds enjoyment in the posts of others, for those in those group roleplays, I would suggest considering an audience. Writing in itself is in favor of readers as much as it is in favor of the author; write in order to engage wandering eyes. Incite empathy for your character and bounce off the setting and decisions of other characters in a matter that would create intrigue for the story's going-ons.

Also, always keep an open mind, whether when facing criticism on your work or when administering criticism to others.

Just have fun. Rping is a hobby, and some people take it way too seriously and get all elitist.

Stay away from those types of people, and don't take their words or criticisms seriously.

As long as you have fun and keep writing, you'll improve. Like anything else practice makes perfect. Keep reading as well. Read books that you enjoy and excite you. Think about what makes them good or why you like the way something is worded. By picking out what specific themes, character tropes, and writing styles you like you'll know what rps will be most fun and find what your english teacher probably called your "voice."

Branch out of your comfort zone as well. Do research on new topics.

If script-based rps and purely casual stuff is what you like, then do script-based and casual rps.

There's no real rules to rping, so really, just have fun.

...How did you even find this thread? Nobody’s posted on this in over a year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back