Advice/Help Time-Skip?

Astronaut

I was originally going to make a roleplay inspired by the Tom Clancy series, specifically Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands. However, I just began watching Band of Brothers for the millionth time and all of the sudden it hit me, I need to create a Second World War roleplay!
In my head, I've got this idea where we roleplay as a fictional American Special Forces Unit who takes on dangerous missions behind enemy lines. (Much like the Paratroopers in Band of Brothers.) I haven't come much further, haha! I just sat down and began writing my plot, and I thought it would be really cool if the Interest Check of the roleplay would be like reading a letter from the Military.
Like, "Dear Mr.Insert Name Here, you have been accepted to the Insert Fictional Elite Special Forces Unit Here. Bla bla bla, bla, bla bla. Bla Bla Bla..."
And so on, I'm sure you get the point.
Here's my little problem, I would like the roleplayers to meet at the training camp for this Unit, they have completed their basic training and now it's time for the tough part. A Unit like this, would train for probably two years until they were sent to war. How would I make time fly by faster? I know I can time-skip etc. But I want it to happen in a way were it feels natural. I hope I'm able to make myself understood, if not, I'm sorry! Do you have any other ideas on how I could incorporate their training in the roleplay? I do not wish to bore the hell out of anyone, but I also want to see the soldiers grow if you know what I mean?
I'm sure I sound fucking delusional, but hey, thanks!

Well, you'd have three major options I think:
1. You could make the training part of the roleplay
2. You could make the training a mandatory part of the backstory in the character sheet
3. You could make it through flashback scenes. This one is... a little tricky, but probably the closest one to what you want.

There is also the possibility of making a separate IC for the training, but this one is to be handled with extreme caution as it can split your players and reduce posting time if you're not careful

I want them to actually roleplay the training, I want the roleplay to start with everyone arriving at the training camp. But I'm not sure how I'd make the two years of training pass by rather fast in a natural way. I want them to experience the training, that's where they all meet. I'm just stuck on how I would make it through those two years in a quicker way. =)

I want them to actually roleplay the training, I want the roleplay to start with everyone arriving at the training camp. But I'm not sure how I'd make the two years of training pass by rather fast in a natural way. I want them to experience the training, that's where they all meet. I'm just stuck on how I would make it through those two years in a quicker way. =)
Oh

Well, maybe you can take a hint from the nation building section. Roleplay is made in stages there, meaning that a player describes what they've been doing for a period of time instead of stating what they are doing at a given moment. Instead of having direct posts, players could be decribing, say, how a day or week went by for them at a time.

That said, in normal roleplay styles your only real solution is to be smart about what events you choose to portray fully and do plenty of time-skips.

I'm personally not a fan of flashbacks, but if you and the other players are fine with it, they can work if not over- or underused.

(You replied while I was making the post)

So it turns out you want the training to be RPed, which I assume throws out the flashback option and what I was going to suggest, some kind of them writing a diary.

You probably don't want to stay that long on the training part, if you want the focus to be on the part after that. I'd suggest picking some key parts of the training, such as the first day, the first time they talked to each other, some exercises they all participated in together, when they sat around and talked about each other, and so on.

Thank you for your answers! I think I've got an idea on how I'll do it! I think I'll pick out important parts of the training and time-skip between those. Maybe five parts of the training or something like that. =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back