• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Tigerborn, and other true stories. (most of the time)

Characters
Here
Alyss gave a short thumbs up to Amare at his nod and further dove into the information on her phone. Much to her surprise, there was some information about people turning into animals, but, well, she couldn't tell which were fictional and which were actual true tellings of such experiences. When she looked up from her phone again, Amare was asleep. She kept silent and turned towards the door as she placed her phone in her pocket. With short, quiet steps, she managed to open the door and close it, sneaking out without the tiger waking.

She simply returned back to her apartment. When she got inside, she stood in her entry way, rubbed her hands beneath her eyes and took a moment to evaluate what had happened. "My neighbor... he's a tiger now. He is trying to communicate with me." Once she mulled it all over, Alyss went to change into clothing better for the wilderness and grabbed other supplies that she'd normally take for same day camping. She also brought along a sizable blanket.

When she returned and shut the door to Amare's apartment, it was only couple more minutes before he woke up. "Looks like you're ready?" she smiled and pinched her truck keys between her fingers. Now was the scary part. "Keep still." She instructed and unfolded the blanket, then whipped it out before laying it over the tiger. "You're a dog now, okay? Try not to make any kitty sounds." Alyss opened the door and walked out. "And walk slow, don't let the blanket fall. We just got to make it to the elevator."

Alyss had not been idle while he slept. She had changed and brought back a large blanket. He had an idea what she wanted with the blanket. He stood still while she draped the blanket over him. It felt odd and the blanket clung to his furs in ways he had not expected. Perhaps this was why his cats did not like being under the blankets? He shrugged and followed Alyss’s instructions. She opened the door and he began to navigate. He found that with his improved hearing he was not so dependant on sight. He could hear the hinges of the door creak how the padding sound of his footfall echoed off the walls, He could hear Alyss breathing and roughly where she stood.

He strode out the door and turned to the elevator, now to hope no one saw them.If they made it to the elevator they should be OK. After all no one ever talked in an elevator. That was just weird.

Alyss' eyes strayed back and forth at each and every single door they passed. She held her breath. Kept her posture perfect. Checked the blanket periodically. How she was reacting would make someone think she'd have to walk a mile hiding a tiger. For being a psychology major, she wasn't all too astute keeping it calm, but this was a new situation for her two.

She pressed the button for the elevator, tapping her foot a consistent solid rate, one could have mistaken her practicing to perform CPR. Once the ding sounded and the doors opened, she pressed on inside it, along with Amare, and her foot returned right back to the tapping. The cube jumped and descended. One floor down.... two floors down... and the ding returned as the elevator came to a halt.

With a sharp inhale, Alyss clenched her hands into tight fists and brought her shoulders near her ears. A woman with a large purse tucked beneath her elbow scooted on, checked the floor level and settled in place. Alyss kept her eyes on Amare, watching for his tail or any other black or orange color revealing itself. She put very little focus on the woman, figuring she wouldn't speak.

But, right as the door shut again, the woman teased, "Now do you have two of your children under that blanket or a dog?" and then elbowed Alyss, though it felt more like a weighted ball with the purse included in the exchange.

Alyss slowly twisted her head toward the lady, wide-eyed and with a deep frown. Alyss so badly wanted to ask her what in the world was she thinking talking in such tight quarters. Instead of that though, being that it'd be rude, she choked and sputtered, "CHILDREN!"

The lady pulled her chin to her neck and knitted her brows. She took one distinctive step away from Amare and Alyss. "No, no," Alyss continued and lifted her hands as she shook them. "I'm joking. Kidding. It's a dog."

"Uh-huh?" The woman looked her over. "Well... get a leash on your dog as soon as possible, they require it in the city."

Ding!

The door opened and the lady was the first to flee. Alyss was just as hasty. "Come on Amare, I'm parked right over there."

Following Alyss was simple enough, while he could not see clearly he could see rough shapes through the cloth. He did his best to keep the cloth from falling off walking slowly and with tentative steps. He listened as the elevator rose up and the door opened with a ding. This was the most dangerous part. Anyone could discover him if they just lifted the cloth he hid under. He stood in the elevator staying to the corner next to Alyss.

As the door opened a lady walked in and Amare stood very still. He wasn't sure how to appear more dog-like. He tried to wag his tail in a dog-like manner but he realized the movement might uncover him. They arrived in the garage and he scooted out ignoring the lady's comment about leashes. He would not be leashed.

The lady from the elevator went in a different direction and Amare relaxed, he followed Alyss to her truck, an older model of truck. He waited for her to open the bed of the truck and he jumped in, the blanket fell off him and he hunkered as low as he could in the bed of the truck hoping no one was watching.

He looked to Alyss hoping he could quickly cover him again.

Alyss' entire body jumped as she watched the blanket fall from the tiger. A shaky, "Ahhh!!" struggled out of her lips and she jumped back and forth between her feet until she swooped down, grabbed the blanket and flung it up and over Amare. She shot her hands near her shoulders once the blanket went still and flicked her head back and forth at those in the parking garage. She was good for those in front of her, no one to her left, none to her right either, and then she twirled around to view behind herself. Just one. One single face plastered against the car window stared in absolute awe of the supposed tiger in her truck bed. Though concern consumed Alyss at first, it fizzled as she saw it was a young child and the parent hadn't at all paid attention to the event.

"Thank goodness parents are far more oblivious when it come day to day life," she sighed and shut the bed. "Step down on the blanket Amare so it doesn't get stolen by the wind."

Fortunately Alyss was quick enough to quickly get him covered again. He hunkered low in the truck bed trying to keep the walls of the truck bed blocking anyone from seeing him. Past Alyss he saw the same child in the window for a brief moment before the cover was draped over him again. He heard no shouts or commotion so he assumed them to be safe enough. He could however hear the child frantically calling to his mother.
“Mom! Mommy! There is a tiger in that truck over there, that lady is stealing it.”

“Julian!” She quickly retorted. “There are no tigers in the city now, lower your voice.”

The child complained for a time but the parent was obviously not going to take an action on the matter. They were safe.

Amare shifted until he got the blanket under foot as well so it would not get blown away. Then he did his best to get comfortable.

Alyss paused once she walked to her truck door. She stared at the handle and rubbed her fingers against the metal of her key. She'd missed class. She'd essentially broken into her neighbor's house. She genuinely believed that a tiger that was there was Amare. With taking a step back, she viewed the bed of her truck, seeing the moving lump beneath the blanket to be sure he was there and not just a figment of her imagination, and then saw her reflection in the window. Alyss' hands pressed against her cheeks, pulled on her skin and tugged down near her eyes. She was human and she appeared to be fine. What ever turned him into a tiger hadn't done anything to her.

Finally, she unlocked her door and hopped into the cab. With a twist of her wrist, the engine bloomed in sound and she began to move. She crept through the underground parking lot, moving slow while she kept her eyes on the bed. Once she exited, she gradually pushed the truck to speed, surveilling him all the while. Alyss often found herself slowing down, her foot letting off the gas as her attention didn't keep. It wasn't until a car honked at her to speed up did she jump with a yelp and spend more time focusing on her driving. "Please don't fly away, please don't fly away, please don't fly away," she muttered beneath her breath with every beat of her racing heart.

Amare continued to squirm as he adjusted himself in the blanket in the bed of the truck, as he settled into a more or less comfortable spot he waited for the truck to start. There was a pause though. He listened for something amiss, he heard Alyss breathing and after a few tense moments she opened the door and stepped into the truck. The truck rumbled on and Amare found himself awash in new sounds as he could hear every creak and sputter of the truck as it moved now. As they began to pick up speed he felt a bit of worry creep into his mind. The blanket tugged and tried to pull away from him but his claws latched onto the fabric. He still worried, wondering what would happen if they got in an accident. He would have to run. He could not let people see him. He took a breath though and focused instead on their surroundings. While he could not see outside he could hear everything.

He began to listen, straining to see what he could hear. Until he was startled by a car honking behind them. He jumped and the truck lurched forward. He slammed against the tailgate and the blanket tried to slide off him. He quickly flopped on the ground and rolled trying to keep out of sight. He laid there panting for a moment. His head had come free but if he stayed low no one would see him.

“They have done well keeping the secret, regardless of their recklessness. Computations show that even with this outing the chances of the tiger getting discovered are only 1 in 250387.” Said a balding man in long grey robes.
The second man in front of the monitor nodded his agreement. “It’s curious how many of them choose to venture outside despite the risks involved.” A taller man with yellow robes of a similar style responded.
“Indeed.” was the monotone reply.
The technician in yellow pushed a few buttons on the screen in front of him. A message flashed across the screen briefly. ‘Monitoring’

“Excellent, shall we take a different case then?” said the grey robed man.

“Lets.” Said the other as he swiped across the screen until he saw a new scenario. “How about this scenario?” He brought up a still image of an old castle town. “The residents of Velthin experienced a similar incident.”

“View it.”

The video started and adjusted its view.

The scene focused in on the castle town of Velthin a kingdom at the edge of a forest nearing fall. The people in the streets sold wares and moved product about, old style english was heard here and guards in armor watched the streets for miscreants and trouble alike. At the center of it all was the large castle that held the king and his family, as well as his advisors and magicians.

In one one of those rooms a young man similar to the one they had seen earlier before he had turned into a tiger.

Amare awoke to the rays of sunshine coming into his room. He groaned at the light that aggravated his headache from the night before when he had drunk too much. “Bloody guards always convince me to be too giving with my ale.” He tore off the covers and quickly dressed. He wanted breakfast and something to relieve the pain in his head. After attaching his belt and sword he went to the door down the hall. He knocked “Sister, it is morning will you join me for breakfast?”

The maid brushed at Alyss' hair. The curls reflected similar to the one in the urban reality. Though, this time, the curls reached past her tailbone and her face free of freckles. Another maid pulled a dress and other garments from a wardrobe. She began to make her way to Alyss, when all three turned their heads to the door as they heard a knock from her brother and his voice. "Oh my dear brother," she called in return and waved her hand for the maids to continue. "I know very well that it is morning, you are the one who rises late to the sun." The maid finished with Alyss' hair, tying the hairs that framed her face to the back and finishing it off with a simple, circlet crown.

Alyss stood and prepped herself to be changed as she continued, "But it is still morning and I haven't breakfast yet, so I shall join you. I will be out soon."

He huffed at her response. "oh dear sister," he replied with mock sarcasm as he leaned into the door. "If I am the one late to greet the sun, why is it I stand ready here in the hall and you do not?"

"For you are a man," she answered dryly and lifted her arms to help her maid dress her. "I cannot even pull the strings of my corset on my own. What, I may even be able to guess the order in which you prepped yourself this morning. And not a single of it involves washing or checking your appearance of any kind." Alyss hummed to herself and rolled her eyes. The corners of her mouth crept into a sly smile as she looked to the door. "Your head must be aching. I did not hear your slow footsteps go to your room till late last night. Perhaps you had a drink, or a few. You'd change your wardrobe. A fresh outfit is in order after all. You are never without your sword." She put her arms up, letting the dress pull over her silhouette and the maids finished up by buttoning the back.

"And let me guess, you never faced a mirror." She waltzed to the door, a maid scuttled forward and began to open it for her. "So I imagine your hair is cow-licked one side, as usual." The door opened and she breathed an, "Ah, look at that." She patted her brother's arm and moved past him. "Father wishes to speak to us about the Festival of Legend this morning as well. Only two more days till it arrives."

Amare rolled his eyes as his sister prattled on about his appearance and choice of attire. He adjusted his sword and belt as he smoothed out his outfit, becoming more self-conscious about his appearance. He licked at his hand and attempted to smooth his hair back somewhat. Having done what he could for his appearance he took a step back from the door and placed one hand on his hip and the other on his sword. The door whooshed open and she waltzed out patting him on the arm. Her reminder about the festival paused him for a moment. He would need to sober up the night before at least and he would have to look more presentable on that day. He shrugged, that was for tomorrow's him to worry about. "Two more days, talking to father yes, yes." He pushed his sister along "food first then conversation."

They made it to the hall where breakfast was already on the table. Father the king and Mother the queen sat at the head of the table and were already enjoying their meal. Amare pulled a chair out for his sister. "Morning Father, Mother." he nodded to each respectively.
The king and queen returned their morning salutations in turn.
"Sit Son, we've much to discuss."
"of course." Amare took a seat and began pulling food onto his plate.

"The festival of legend is not to be taken lightly my son, it will be a good opportunity for you to win the favor of the people. The great striped beast will appear and we must quickly find it and vanquish it before it can cause any harm to our people."

Amare sighed. "Yes, father I am aware of the legend, and the risks. I have been training and hunting. I will be prepared."

"So you say.. Alyss my dear." the king turned to his daughter. "What are your plans for the festival? Where shall you attend?"

Last edited:
Alyss gave a nod of appreciation to her brother and laid a cloth napkin on her lap while she listened. The Festival of Legend was a grand day, only happening every 22 years. Everyone was bound to experience more than once in their life, well, hopefully that is. With posture straight and arms hovering the table, she grabbed her fork and grabbed at it with her food. Before she could eat anything, she was addressed. "Me? Well, I shall be attending the hunt. There are knights and others who will try to take down the beast before the prince. I plan to give a ribbon to Sir Leon in hopes he shall take down the beast instead." Alyss blushed momentarily and cleared her throat. "It's said that if I knight takes down the beast first, they have a right to fight for the throne in the future. Though, whether or not you follow through with that Father is up to you. It does not matter if I am the future Queen, but I will give my support to another come two days from now."

Amare stopped mid bite as he heard the name if a rival knight from his sister. "Leon?" Amare huffed the knight was the youngest of there band. Still growing in fact though his age was the only thing smaller than Amare. "Just because he is a giant doesn't mean he will win. It takes skill and cunning to hunt a beast such as the striped one. Are you sure he posses such qualities?" He pointed his fork at her with a potatoes still on the end.

"Manners, Amare," Alyss cocked her head and lifted her brows. "Mother and Father had us take classes in dining etiquette, I know you are quite capable." She took up a perfect bite size of her food, placed it in her mouth and politely chewed until she could down it. "Indeed, Sir Leon. I did say in hopes. I never said he would for a fact win. I do not hope for you to be injured or to simply fail, you are my brother and I wish the best for you. However, if possible, I hope to court Sir Leon. In order to tie my interests with his, I must support him." She took a sip of her drink and once having put it down, she gestured toward the kingdom and its people. "Any can decide to hunt the striped beast, though traditionally, mainly knights have gone and they've mostly only supported the crown in the hunt. For all I know, he may decide to do the same and aid you. My ribbon may just be one to grant him safety in his search for your sake."

His sister always had a way with words so even as she rebuked him for his manners by the end any retort he could think of seemed foolish. He decided to fall upon his manners instead which was easier now as his belly began to fill more with food and the haze of drink began to lift from his mind. "Very well sister, Leon may still yet grow in mind as well as stature. All the same see you are safe during the hunt. It is rumored the beast will suddenly appear in crowds or even homes without warning."

Father stood from his food as his two children bantered he would not stop such talk as long as they were corgil there arguments simply trained them for the future when they would deal with courtly affairs. "Very well Children. See to your studies and training today. Actually Amare the safety of your sister is a fair point. At some point in your training today see that she is trained in the use of a dagger." The king turned ti his queen expecting am objection she simply raised her hand and nodded. "Let it be so, it never did me any harm." The queen briefly drew a dagger from her bossum to show Alyss that she was armed as well.

"I've many things I must get done for the festival these next two days Father." Alyss turned in her seat to face directly toward the King. "The women are in charge of much the planning. The feast, booths, dancing, the ceremony, everything besides the hunting. I haven't time to waste on training with a knife." She placed a hand on her chest. "I mean you no disrespect, I am indeed willing to learn, as of now, I am too active in the kingdom." She pulled her hand away and gave a light wave to the castle walls. "I shall be plenty safe within these castle walls after the festival is finished. Two days of training will not do me much good either. I wouldn't be capable to learn enough with my limited time."

The king paused at Alyss’s objection; he had been about to turn away and carry on with his own duties. It would seem his daughter would need coaxing. He stood behind his Queen's chair, hands resting on the highest points at each end. “Surely you do not doubt in your older brother, prince and Knight of Velthin? Do you not think he could train you to defend yourself well enough in these two remaining days?”

The queen pitched in as well, “You are not the only one overseeing these things my dear, adjustments shall be made as needed. After all, you would not balk at such a challenge.” The final sentence was said with absolute authority and the king turned and left the room. Amare sat jaw slightly ajar, normally he was the one on the end of his parents sharp tongue but now he reveled in the glee of sibling rivalry.

Somehow, Alyss' posture grew more and more straight with each remark tossed her way. Every single person there was far more in agreement over the ordeal than she would have expected them to be. She pushed her tongue against her cheek and turned back to her plate. "So be it," she sighed and took up her fork once more. "Inform me and mother when you wish to train, brother. That way we may properly schedule when and how long we shall train. I will send a maid to find me proper attire for training."

Amare’s glee quickly ended. HIs jaw closed as he tried to concentrate. When to train. His schedule was rather loose. Consisting largely of training for the day, however, he too had to go on patrol later this evening. “Well, yes. Let’s uhh see. When to train…” He tapped at the table as he tried to consider his options and formulate something that made it sound like he knew when to train or how his schedule was supposed to look like.

“Amare…” his mother dragged out his name for a moment. He hunkered down raising his shoulders as he already knew he was caught. “You should remember this by now, but you have training with the other knights till noon, at which point you adjourn for lunch. After lunch you should train your sister Alyss. Perhaps after your training she can help you manage your schedule so you actually know what is going on around her.”
Amare nodded along obediently.

“And Amare, quit staying up drinking with the guards.”

“Yes Mother,” he replied quietly. He finished his meal quickly and excused himself for training. “Alyss, I will see you after lunch in the study.”

Alyss held her tongue and a snicker at the returning fire from their mother after Amare could not recall his duties for the day. In many regards, this small interaction with the family showed how opposite they were. Enough alike to speak and care for one another, but not enough to stand completely with one another's decisions. Though, most of that was what she believed.

Once Alyss also dismissed herself from breakfast, she returned to her room to gather books and quill pens from her desk. She brought the supplies to one of the many sitting rooms within the castle. Places to relax, study or interact with visitors. The one flooded with light green accents tended to be the place she would find herself. The windows there were large and heaps of sunlight made it easy to see. It felt warm and inviting. Most of all, from this further section of the castle, Alyss could occasionally see Sir Leon train. She'd be lying if she hadn't found herself gazing upon the man when she had the chance. Her heart often swooned at how quickly she saw him learn. There were only a handful of opportunities she had to speak with him. From what she'd managed to learn and know, he had a charm about him that she the drew her in.

She got to work. Listing out different resources needed for the festival, as well as letters to invite the noblemen and their families to sit near the royal family during the ceremony. Also included were the finances for the festival as a whole. The entire kingdom took part and the castle provided where they could to make sure everything ran smoothly. Alyss often lifted her head to see if those training had moved to the courtyard outside. She met with disappointment time and time again.

Her maids showed her the outfit she may wear during training. It appeared to inconsistent with a royal woman to wear, which in this circumstance was perfect. Damaging expensive dress and wear while practicing wouldn't be ideal. Alyss continued to work, still popping up her head every now and then, this time until the maid brought her a platter of sandwiches for lunch and tea. She ate it between dipping her quill into the well of ink and the time to meet Amare soon approached with Sir Leon never in sight.

Alyss returned to her quarters, changed with hair put up and ready to train. One would believe she'd be more comfortable in this wear, however she felt indifferent about it. Not uncomfortable, just different. The maids guided her to the study and a butler opened the door to enter to meet with her brother.

Amare made good time heading to the training grounds, while it was his duty and obligation to train this was the part of his day he most enjoyed, well most of it. The sergeant in charge of training always saw fit to make everyone run and stretch before any combat exercises. He was indifferent to stretching, it was running he loathed. There was nothing for it. He had tried complaining and coercion, the result was the same the group would run before any training was to start. Today they ran into the woods, something about environmental training so they were used to uneven ground.

They reached a clearing large enough for the group of guards and Knights to space out and begin drills. Amare was paired with a guard and they worked together to run different sword postures and counters. The sounds of steel on steel rang through the field as people began fighting exercises as well. This was the part Amare enjoyed. He quickly bested the guard he had been pitted against and moved on to more experienced soldiers than to his fellow knights. Eventually, he ended up fighting Leon, his sister's interest. As the two bartered in blows a devilish idea crept into Amares mind. What if Leon was to help with dagger Training? Surely his sister would struggle to keep her composure in front of him, or perhaps it may motivate her to fight better. After barely besting Leon in their latest exchange, he offered his hand to help the man up as well as a question. “Knight Leon, would you be interested in helping me train my sister? She is to learn basic defenses with a dagger and a training companion would be most advantageous. I can think of no better knight for the task.”

Leon grunted as he stood. This was a rare opportunity time to get to know the princess, even if not in the most ideal circumstance. “Of course I will help.” He scratched at the back of his head nervously for a moment. “When does it start?”

“Right after lunch.” Amare turned to train with someone else. “Till then!”

The rest of the training passed quickly till lunch was called. Amare groaned as he realized he would have to run back to the castle. He also still needed to get Training daggers and hopefully have time to grab food. “Ugh, If I’m late for Alyss’s training I will never hear the end of it.” He called out to his fellow Knight. “Leon meet me at the study! I’ll be along shortly.” He jogged off back towards the castle. He visited the blacksmith, then the armory, and looked to see the position of the sun. He sighed. There would not be enough time for food after all. He grumbled and headed to the study where he found Leon waiting outside.

He motioned for Leon to follow and strode into the room. “Afternoon sister, ready for some training?”

"My. Brother, first this morning and now. You've a fine job at never quite being on ti--" Alyss turned around to face the door, book in hand and while her jaw slackened, her book slammed shut. "Sir Leon!" she gasped a tad too loud for the room they were in. She moved forward and slowly dropped the book onto a desk and went to straighten herself out. Except, as she felt the fabric of her clothing, she became all too aware that these were not fine silks and embroidered masterpieces. They were near tatters compared to her usual wardrobe. And her hair; it was fastened in a high braid to keep it from tangling and out of her face. Something mostly children wore. She almost curtsied for the knight, but managed to refrain herself. Princesses don't just curtsy to knights.

Alyss cleared her throat. "What brings you here with my... brother?" she wondered politely, up until she brought up her family, in which her voice lowered while she glared daggers at Amare.

Amare chuckled as he watched his sister fluster for a moment. Bringing Leon had been a great idea. Leon looked a tad nervous as well not use to seeing the princess in such common clothing and he was in only training gear as well. "I brought Leon here to help with your training, of course, I needed someone to help me demonstrate some of the techniques."

Leon nodded along, "Yes, Amare invited me to help." He added with a shrug.

Amare placed his armful of items on a table he selected two wooden daggers and tossed one to Leon. He squared off with the knight and began talking facing his sister and enjoying the glare she gave him. "Knife fighting is all about distance." he slashed his dagger in the air to show he was not close enough to harm Leon. "You need to strike your opponent in a way they cannot easily strike you back."
Amare sidestepped around Leon and jabbed him in the side. Leon grunted at the jab but did little else. "Come sister, I will help you with the movements."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back