thread no longer active

I can 100% see the appeal of keeping OC characters and using them through multiple stories. Although for me personally, I create characters for each and every RP. And once that's done, even if it's cut short by ghosters or other means, I just let those characters die. I also try to avoid trying to make every character extremely unique. If I create two characters that happen to be very similar, I'm OK with that, as long as I think they work well with the story and setting, and I think I'd have fun playing as them.

This probably isn't super helpful, and I just popped in to throw my two cents around, sorry.

I keep several character concepts instead of one, so if one doesn't fit in a particular setting that I'm interested I can use another one. I usually change their name and the detail of their background(which might be influenced by their past RPs) to fits the RP, but keep their core concept. They are the same characters, but not the same exact ones.

My gun nerd elf is a rogue-like musketeer in a steampunkish setting but become a war-scarred gamer that collect guns in a futuristic setting. My pyromaniac alchemist is a corpse-burner plague doctor in dystopian medieval setting but a gordon ramsay wannabe in a more steampunkish one. I'm not too rigid about characters, as long as their concept remains the same I can count them as one.

Like PauciloquentPumpkin PauciloquentPumpkin I usually write a new character for each RP, especially given most of the time what makes me take interest in an RP in the first place is the way it gets my imagination going which often prompts a quick character concept. That said, there were a couple of times in which I used the same character for different universes.

> In the first time I did it, the character belonged to a more general universe, and transfered to a different flexible universe (both simple fantasy) and so I could simply transplant my character's whole lore from one world to another.
>In the other case, I made a character based on one lore, then adapted it to a new roleplay. They were similar in primary concept (superhero type stuff) which made it easier to switch, but I still had to change a fair bit about personality, background and so on. In such a situation, I think the important thing is to keep in mind the character's core concept.

Hope this helps. Best of luck and happy RPing!

I actually have a character who retains his knowledge of the role plays i have put him in (that is, if the role play is brought to completion) at least he used to be that way, I don’t use him much anymore. He is a fun one.

But on the point of changing your character to fit a role plays criteria, sometimes it can be fun to do the most minimalist amount of that. Including the back story if the GM allows. Drop that knight into the future. Build experiences around that. That could be pretty fun.

I get wanting to play with your favorite character. Sometimes though you just gotta build one from the ground up for the roleplay. I’ve got a handful, I’m sure most people do to. You never know. You might just discover a new favorite character to add to your list.

Last edited:
I think you should stick to reusing OCs only in similar contexts. You're right taking a medieval OC and putting them in a cyberpunk context isn't going to work because they will have s different culture, a different upbringing, a different view in the world and different skills. However if you make an OC for s generic medieval fantasy setting and reuse them in another similar one that's usually going to be fine.

In general it's good to get in the practice of making different characters, because you get a wider variety of play experiences.

I like to re-use my existing characters because they are far more detailed and whole than any I could create on the fly. I know them well and I would hope this knowledge adds a level of realism to all of their responses and interactions with other characters. It took time, trial and error to build them. This is not to say they are complete and exempt from development. Every unique encounter contributes to their growth in that designated narrative, but I do have the advantage of a strong foundation from which to base that change. I can be confidently consistent in their behaviour. I know their body-language, tells, verbal ques, strengths and limitations, which I believe allows me to create a detailed image for my partner while I am free to focus on the interactions and reflections.

Some people may be able to include this level of detail in fresh-out-the-oven characters. Hats off to you! But I cannot. New characters take time. I enjoy the process of creating them, but not all will make the cut into my repeat cast. I also acknowledge how difficult it might be to develop characters to this level of detail unless you have a consistent rp to develop them in. The majority of my characters began their existence outside of rp, but gained their agency within it. I have been lucky enough to have some truly excellent partners to work with.

It is true that the setting will have a heavy influence on the characters personality, but I would argue that the interpersonal is far more influential. To use your example, Kahir, of a medieval fantasy to Sci-fi setting: I think a cavalry can be a fleet. A castle a ship. But an orphan is an orphan. I always try to keep some aspects of the character and their history, particularly in their early development, in some way consistent. This allows me to transition them through almost any setting, because I understand the reasons and motivation behind the way they behave.

There are of course pitfalls. I have to be careful not to build my expectations of a story around around previously encountered character arcs. The character might be the same, but each story must be looked at as new. I have made this mistake and the result was only my own disappointment. To avoid this, I will sometimes choose one of my less detailed characters, or one I have not played in awhile. The mainstays can sit on a shelf for a little bit.

I don't know about you, but I do love it when I encounter someone's character with a detailed, well considered backstory. Slowly discovering their history, especially when its evidently pre-thought and well written, is such a pleasure.

I can 100% see the appeal of keeping OC characters and using them through multiple stories. Although for me personally, I create characters for each and every RP. And once that's done, even if it's cut short by ghosters or other means, I just let those characters die. I also try to avoid trying to make every character extremely unique. If I create two characters that happen to be very similar, I'm OK with that, as long as I think they work well with the story and setting, and I think I'd have fun playing as them.

This probably isn't super helpful, and I just popped in to throw my two cents around, sorry.
Gotta agree with you on this one, throwing up a new character can be a bit of a nuisance for some but for me it’s the go-to thing to do, adds some spice to play as characters that are polar opposites.

I usually start with an ambition for the character and go up from there. Do they want wealth? Power? Maybe they don’t want either and are simply acting out of their own morals.

From there you just start building the character itself, how do they act based on their ambition/morals. Help a fellow because that’s what they would think is right or because they see him as an asset in the future.

When you decide on the foundation of the character it only gets easier.

Gotta agree with you on this one, throwing up a new character can be a bit of a nuisance for some but for me it’s the go-to thing to do, adds some spice to play as characters that are polar opposites.

I usually start with an ambition for the character and go up from there. Do they want wealth? Power? Maybe they don’t want either and are simply acting out of their own morals.

From there you just start building the character itself, how do they act based on their ambition/morals. Help a fellow because that’s what they would think is right or because they see him as an asset in the future.

When you decide on the foundation of the character it only gets easier.
Unfortunately I can't say I'm quite so organized. Usually I have an image in my head. It's formed by things like the described story and setting, and can be reformed as I think about the different categories of a character sheet. Sometimes I'm filling out details and don't know what they look like just yet, or vice versa, I start with their looks, and develop their personality based on how I feel someone would act. After they have been piecemealed together, I'll refine things to make sure they all work together as a character and with the story. Discussing things with other people also helps to make sure things are cohesive.

Personally I think it's better to create a new character for different settings or RP's if they're unrelated to where the original character was created, whilst I understand that obviously it's easier to just port a character, if a setting is well developed and a character just doesn't fit, porting them over doesn't feel the greatest for the person who's set up the thread/RP/setting initially, at least in my opinion.

Plus, making a new character for new RP's is a good way to sort of work out thinking from different perspectives or playing around with different personality types, it's likely to do you some good in your writing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back