Experiences Things that instantly make you drop an RP

I refuse to believe that. ;)

Haha. I started with playing canon characters in different fandoms. It was years before I played anyone original.

I think that's one of the markers.

If someone absolutely cannot play a canon character of any kind then there's some red flags IMO.

Well in fairness there are like moral reasons for that. The same way some people don't use art because they find it stealing. Many people don't play canons because they feel that it is stealing another's work.

So that wouldn't really have anything to do with their writing ability just their own personal moral code.

like how some people don't roleplay with people under 18 or only with a specific gendered partner ( IRL not characters ).

I mean there is a reasoning for all preferences that have nothing to do with a person's innate skills as a writer.

I refuse to believe that. ;)

Haha. I started with playing canon characters in different fandoms. It was years before I played anyone original.

I think that's one of the markers.

If someone absolutely cannot play a canon character of any kind then there's some red flags IMO.

Now that's something I think I would refuse to believe. XD

Building a character and being unsure of how to do so is a totally different beast than taking a pre-established character and trying to play them correctly. People can easily take a canon character and turn them into some sort of Sue/Stu. Not to mention plenty of people simply don't have any interest in playing someone they don't feel a personal connection to or interest in, like a canon character.

Man, this kind of turned into a huge thing. The original post I replied to said 'people who only want to play straight cis characters' which I feel is only a step away from saying 'diversity in sexuality/gender politics is the only kind of diversity that matters' or 'all straight, cis characters are exactly the same' both of which are blatantly untrue.

I got an early reply commenting that people should step out their boxes, but there are more ways to do that than making a character trans/bi/gay/ace/whatever else. (And I've seen enough people who think that sexuality is some sort of replacement for personality) You could play a character of a different nationality, or a different race, or a different economic status to yourself. If you're from a large city, you could try to get into the mindset of a character who grew up in a small town.

...And really, I don't necessarily think that stepping out of the box is paramount to fun for all people. Some do just want to play a cooler avatar of themselves because they find it fun/relaxing. And if their writing and characterization is good, who are we to complain?

There are more ways to make characters diverse than gender and sexuality, definitely, and a diverse cast overall is always important. I guess the quick and dirty and personal comes down to that gender and sexuality diversity is important to me, and I’m so sick of cishet content in my role play. If someone only has an interest in playing that, it kills the interest for me.

There are more ways to make characters diverse than gender and sexuality, definitely, and a diverse cast overall is always important. I guess the quick and dirty and personal comes down to that gender and sexuality diversity is important to me, and I’m so sick of cishet content in my role play. If someone only has an interest in playing that, it kills the interest for me.

Fair enough I'm the same way with romance. I mean I don't mind it in theory and if you want to work on a way to add it that we can both find entertaining fine. But when you act like literally the only way to make an interesting roleplay filled with well rounded characters is to use some kind of b.s. YA trope idea of romance than I'm like.... Nah Bella I'm good.

Something I find can be very frustrating is when a person refuses to go along with any ideas you introduce into the story when things are looking dull, and at the same time do not contribute to throwing the story forward! They expect you to do all the work, and complain that you're not doing it right. People who refuse to roleplay as a different gender are mildly irritating, but also understandable. I can accept that you might not be comfortable playing the opposite gender, and I respect that - just like some people are uncomfortable with certain themes (horror for example).

Bad grammar is a big no for me if it prevents me from understanding what they are trying to tell me. I can't write a proper response to something I can't read, and it just takes all the fun out of roleplaying - since it makes it impossible. The same goes for one liners. I won't say I have not dropped some one liners - quite a few depending on the type of roleplay. If the story is going nowhere or nothing is happening in the scene I can understand short responses, but having one sentence to reply to seems like there is no effort or enthusiasm left. It just gets bland and becomes a waste of time.

Really what gets on my nerves is when people don't contribute anything, rather just go with the flow. All the ideas come from yourself and the other person just sits there and enjoys the ride, which just seems selfish and not the kindest. Again, why should I do the work, and then have someone just sitting there and then maybe even complain that I am not doing a good enough job of moving the story along? I shouldn't.

Ugh so much the above. I hate it when people put barely any effort into contributing to the story but then piss and moan about you "stifling" their creative freedom when you don't let them make whatever character they want.

Like i'm sorry that I thought we were going to follow the lore that I established while you just sat there yes ma'aming me.

I'm so super duper awful sorry that the character you created contradicts the internal integrity of the story you put zero effort into creating.

I'm just golly jeeze whiz so embarrassed that you think I'm being a nit picker when I'm only trying to make sure the world stays consistent.

ugh. ya know what. eff these people. seriously. i see someone who is simultaneously just sitting like a lump on a log while i do the work AND complaining that what I come up with is "stifling them" I'm like...

Well bye then Felicia.

Miscellany Miscellany

I feel you're either misunderstanding what AdrianS AdrianS and I said, or misrepresenting it for the sake of an argument here. I think their statement was quite a leap away from saying diversity in gender/sexuality politics is the only one that matters, it's simply the kind of diversity that matters to them in a role play. Nobody was denouncing the importance of any kind of diversity, in fact, we then went on to have quite a lengthy discussion about it. Yes, it arose from that initial statement, but the sentiment was a general one. A complete lack of diversity in any sense of the word is frustrating and disheartening for a lot of individuals in this community.

My first response still stands here. There's a difference between preference and ability. You're right, some people absolutely do just want to have fun and play an 'avatar' of themselves, but they're doing it because that's what they prefer and not what they are able to portray. That's fine, but I don't feel it's accurate to imply that they simply cannot portray a character dissimilar to themselves. If that were true many of the world's greatest literary characters wouldn't exist.

Anyway, I'm getting ranty here. Please know my intention isn't to attack or patronise you, I simply felt my sentiments were misrepresented or misunderstood.

Mostly when people make characters inappropriate to the roleplay setting. If I am playing a WWII soldier, I should not be sharing the trenches with a loli girl. As much as the concept amuses me, it's immersion breaking.

Other big one is the lack of OOC interaction. Getting monosyllable to no replies when I'm trying to kickstart a conversation is like a kick in the nuts to my interest in continuing.

I call it "secret rules"

You carefully read the rules (and story and stuff), create a character according to them and the character doesn't get accepted because "he breaks rule X". Annoyed, you check out the rules again and...nothing. No rule prohibiting X.

This has happened MULTIPLE TIMES on rpnation (I am on other rp sites too, but fairly rarely) and if my character breaks a secret rule I will either refuse to change him or drop out instantly.

I call it "secret rules"

You carefully read the rules (and story and stuff), create a character according to them and the character doesn't get accepted because "he breaks rule X". Annoyed, you check out the rules again and...nothing. No rule prohibiting X.

This has happened MULTIPLE TIMES on rpnation (I am on other rp sites too, but fairly rarely) and if my character breaks a secret rule I will either refuse to change him or drop out instantly.

Yeah I feel like there are two reasons for this

1. Best reason is GM didn't think of X rule until such time as people started submitting characters and thus had to add it in. But usually it is added to the rules in like a different color like... Rules 1-5 ( annd oops Rule 6 also because i didn't think of that beforehand )

2. Favoritism. Or like GM is all nah I don't want X people/character to join cuz I don't like 'em.

One of the reasons I don't do groups. That kind of toxic b.s. was RAMPANT in my other roleplay site. So I'm like....lol Nah. No More.

Not that 1x1s are free of Toxic B.S. but you have it less frequently. Cuz ya know it's only two people. So if you're fully into toxic b.s. than you're gonna run out of partners real fast.

I call it "secret rules"

I hold the opposite position. As the GM, I'm not going to create a comprehensive list of every way a character might be rejected. If that's what it takes to make sure we're on the same page then you're not the right player for me.

I hold the opposite position. As the GM, I'm not going to create a comprehensive list of every way a character might be rejected. If that's what it takes to make sure we're on the same page then you're not the right player for me.

That is different though. You can absolutely reject a character sheet for whatever reason you want. What this person is talking about is when you just make up arbitrary rules without informing your players in advance.

That would be like if I had in my rules

1. No canon knock offs
2. Realistic public domain images only
3. No more than three powers
4. Character Sheet must be completely filled out before submission.

Alright say Susie and Bob follow all rules 1 - 4 and submit their characters for approval.

If I tell Susie - sorry I don't think your character's power set quiet works with this world. Maybe you could tweak it a little?

That's fine. It's my right to say who and what can be accepted.

If I tell Bob however - your character has been rejected because you didn't follow Rule 5.

Than that's not okay. Because I only gave my players 4 rules and have never indicated there was a 5th rule.

rae2nerdy rae2nerdy I'm sorry but I don't see the distinction.

Alright let's look at it this way.

If you make me a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. You go out of your way to follow my exact specifications when it comes to

Type of bred
How much peanut butter vs How much jelly
How I want it cut

If you go through all of that and then present me this sandwich only for me to go - Ugh. I'm allergic to peanut butter why did you make this?

That is not okay. Because obviously without me specifying this before hand you would have no way of knowing I'm allergic to peanut butter.

If I only tell you AFTER THE FACT than I don't get to complain that you put peanut butter on my sandwhich. Because I NEVER TOLD YOU NOT TO.

That's exactly what the rule equation is.

You are not just telling people - I don't like your character.

Your complaining about people not reading your mind and following a rule that you never informed them exists.

That's like complaining that someone put peanut butter on your sandwich when you never told them not to.

I'm not sure your food analogy helps, but I have one of my own. If I ask you to cook breakfast for me, I shouldn't have to list every food that isn't traditionally served in the morning - such as eggplant parmesan. If I have to spell out every way you could conceivably ruin breakfast then I want a different cook.

I'm not sure your food analogy helps, but I have one of my own. If I ask you to cook breakfast for me, I shouldn't have to list every food that isn't traditionally served in the morning - such as eggplant parmesan. If I have to spell out every way you could conceivably ruin breakfast then I want a different cook.

I see you are misunderstanding the problem. To use your analogy.

You ask me to make you breakfast. I make you some pancakes, eggs, toast, and orange juice.

I serve you this breakfast.

You don't tell me oh well pancakes aren't my favorite and this toast is a little dry.

You say - Geek why did you make me breakfast? I want dinner. Preferably a steak dinner.

That is not what you asked me for. I had no way of knowing that you wanted dinner without you specifically telling me that. And worse what you did tell me runs counter to the dinner request. You can't ask for breakfast and expect to get dinner. That's unreasonable.

I see you are misunderstanding the problem.

Are you sure about that? Because there's nothing in the post that I originally quoted that suggests what you're describing - which is more or less roleplay reneging, and nothing about secret rules.

Are you sure about that? Because there's nothing in the post that I originally quoted that suggests what you're describing - which is more or less roleplay reneging, and nothing about secret rules.

But that is what they meant by secret rules. When you create a whole new rule that was never mentioned beforehand to axe a character.

Which is why I said you had misunderstood. You seemed to be thinking they were talking about GM's rejecting a character in general. They weren't talking about a character being rejecting from a roleplay.

They were talking about a GM making up a totally new rule just to say - Oh hey you can't join because of this rule I just made up and have never put into the thread. ( and I'm assuming a rule they never actually put on the thread itself )

You ask me to make you breakfast. I make you some pancakes, eggs, toast, and orange juice.

I serve you this breakfast.

You don't tell me oh well pancakes aren't my favorite and this toast is a little dry.

You say - Geek why did you make me breakfast? I want dinner. Preferably a steak dinner.
While I get what you're trying to say, this is a bit of a bad analogy. I mean, this isn't as much as a secret rule as a contradiction of a previous rule.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back