• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy The Weight of the Crown

Elle Joyner

Fracturer of Fairytales

qpOgrEs.jpg

SYNOPSIS

GENRE: Low Fantasy/Medieval || LEVEL: Advanced Detailed || WRITING: High Expectations | Three Paragraph Min.

SECONDARY GENRE: World Building || TONE: Suspenseful, Dramatic || SCALE: 6-10 Players

7553320a24eadf1d10eea60a833ca6de.jpg

THE FATE OF THORNWILD

The land of Ellemar has never existed entirely at peace. Eight kingdoms are stretched out across the land and all of them vying for controlling power. Such an ambition has only ever been a dream, however, until now.

King Barenthorn’s imminent demise has opened the door for a political shift in power among the remaining Seven. With no heir and an antiquated council unqualified to rule, the Thornwild throne is up for grabs and for some of the potentates, war seems an inevitable outcome…For some, it's a welcome one.

Conflict is at the center of each kingdom's motivation, and their rulers will stop at nothing to achieve their conquest, even at the expense of their own people.

no slide
no slide
no slide
no slide

CONCEPT

This is not a typical roleplay. Before I get into why, I'd like to explain that this is a fairly new concept that I haven't attempted before, and it may take some time to work out the kinks - so I do ask for patience and understanding.

That said - the idea I have for this is essentially a roleplay system that is not dictated by a GM, but instead run by you - the players. This doesn't mean, of course, free-for-all chaos. But basically the concept would involve you building the plot around your own 'nations'. You will design the kingdoms (one per player) and then determine where and how these kingdoms fit into the overarching storyline, while making connections with other players in order to fill in smaller underarching plots. My job - apart from creating a kingdom of my own to work with - will be essentially to ensure things run smoothly, but otherwise, I'll have a very back-burner approach to GMing.

I want it to feel more like a group project than coming in to an already established plot and working off of my ideas. I want to give you the freedom of movement to create parts of a storyline, instead of just playing one character and fitting them in to a pre-worked concept.

I would like to include seven kingdoms (not including Thornwild, which is the kingdom they will be vying for victory over). This doesn't necessarily mean seven players (see later). Essentially the CS will not feature one character, but an entire kingdom - including key characters (and one main character, if you so desire). The kingdom applications will be reviewed and approved and I will pick the seven best. From there we will begin plotting out connections with other kingdoms (allies/enemies/etc.) Not everyone I tagged will necessarily get the opportunity to play the kingdom they make - this isn't because I don't adore you all or think you're incredibly talented - but I want to ensure there aren't too many cooks in the kitchen, and see to it that everything meshes cohesively. Anyone who still wishes to join but wasn't approved for a kingdom can still be offered a role.

Because of the nature of this roleplay, the creation/planning process is expected to take some time. I don't imagine the roleplay will start for a good while - but I do ask that you try to get your sheets in as promptly as possible, just to avoid loss of interest.

Note: As previously stated, you WILL have the opportunity to make a playable character within the constraints of your kingdom, but this does not negate you from utilizing the other characters involved. Also note that these characters are to serve as a driving force for the plot and should not be used as vehicles for pre-planned romances. Romance is acceptable, yes... but no character-by-character plotting should be done prior to the RP so as to avoid confusion where the general storyline is concerned. If it happens within the RP, naturally, than great - but it must happen post-plotting. It wouldn't make sense, afterall, for someone to plan an affair between their king and another kingdom's scullery maid if that same scullery maid has a preplanned relationship with your knight in shining armor.

98c505011121a32fabe083a911784774.jpg

CONFLICT

The Ever Rising Tide

OVERVIEW: LINK TO COME

CS SHEET: LINK TO COME

"Canst thou, O partial sleep, give thy repose

To the wet sea-boy in an hour so rude,

And in the calmest and most stillest night,

With all appliances and means to boot,

Deny it to a king? Then happy low, lie down!

Uneasy lies the head that wears a crown"

FAQ

|| FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ||

Questions are welcome - either via this thread, or PM
:)

There's so much here I appreciate: the presentation, the selectiveness, the medieval political intrigue, and most of all the opportunity for players to world build. Excellent interest check, consider me interested.

CloudyBlueDay said:
@Elle Joyner -- Question, is there magic in this world? Elves, witches, etc? Or just humans?
As of right now I'm going with a more realistic vibe - depending on the consensus of the majority of the players, that might change, but the idea is to stray away from the typical 'magic fixes everything' cliche xD

[QUOTE="Red Thunder]Sigh. I'm already in FIVE separate RPs.

I'll give it serious consideration.

[/QUOTE]
*LOL* I know the feeling. No arm twisting on my end, but we'd love to have you.

Rissa said:
This is beautiful Elle!
And thank you :)

@Elle Joyner, thank you so much for the invite. But I don't think I've the time to devote to full world building like what you want. Single characters, yes, but not functioning kingdoms. Thank you so very much for thinking of me though! I appreciate very much, and I do look forward to lurking this RP and watching it develop.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to have to echo Red. As much as I want to be apart of this, I don't think I'll have the time to dedicate myself fully and this RP definitely deserves that. Hopefully once I move and get settled there'll be a spot I can jump into.

But I'm definitely gunna be lurkin hard... xD

Thank you for the invite and for thinking of me, but I just don't see myself fitting in to this style. ^-^ Best of luck!

@Elle Joyner While I assume the various nation's will all share some major cultural elements, would it be acceptable to have a nation (or population within a nation) that has a more exotic ethnicity and culture? Maybe they came from a large migration that happened centuries before and they've managed to successfully integrate.

Also would baroque era architecture and fashion be too modern or could it work? I'm only asking for aesthetic preference.

Bone2pick said:
@Elle Joyner While I assume the various nation's will all share some major cultural elements, would it be acceptable to have a nation (or population within a nation) that has a more exotic ethnicity and culture? Maybe they came from a large migration that happened centuries before and they've managed to successfully integrate.
Also would baroque era architecture and fashion be too modern or could it work? I'm only asking for aesthetic preference.
There could certainly be -elements- of an exotic culture - though an entire population would be unlikely as I'm viewing this as sort of a European variant. That said - the kingdom you design is really up to you. I would just avoid going too far out of the European realm of vision, for the sake of these kingdoms piecing together in a way that makes sense geographically.

As far as the time period goes - it's more of a 'soft' middle-ages/medieval sense. Fashion and architecture could be slightly more advanced provided the kingdom has connections to outlying lands (for instance, a kingdom located on the shore line would obviously have better access to export and therefore have better chances of getting "the latest" in fashion) -- I'd like to avoid, however, going -too- modern as, again, it could potentially throw off the cohesion. I'm not gonna be picky as far as architecture goes, provided there's something 'castley" (that's NOT a true architecture term, believe it or not) about it and it doesn't involve like... skyscrapers *lol*

Oh, and I should mention (I'll discuss this more when the Kingdom Sheet is finished) that fantasy and real images are alright for architecture/land/fashion, but that I prefer for -people- the use of real images (realistic paintings MIGHT be acceptable, but no cartoons/drawings/anime) or written descriptions. Just to allow for the right sense of realism.

[QUOTE="Elle Joyner]Oh, and I should mention (I'll discuss this more when the Kingdom Sheet is finished) that fantasy and real images are alright for architecture/land/fashion, but that I prefer for -people- the use of real images (realistic paintings MIGHT be acceptable, but no cartoons/drawings/anime) or written descriptions. Just to allow for the right sense of realism.

[/QUOTE]
..dammit. *shoos away away my medieval art collection*

*LOL* If you have paintings/art, you can PM them to me for approval. I just wanna avoid anything that'll take away the realistic vibe <3

[QUOTE="Elle Joyner]*LOL* If you have paintings/art, you can PM them to me for approval. I just wanna avoid anything that'll take away the realistic vibe <3

[/QUOTE]
It's alright, the pictures I had in mind are probably a bit too non-realistic for your liking. x3 I'll keep on hunting!

Okie doke :) IF you or anyone needs it, I'm compiling a list of television shows/movies that feature that sort of theme (medieval/middle ages esque) - basically any series in that genre (with the exception of Reign) would be acceptable (the costume choices on Reign make me wanna strangle someone xD )

[QUOTE="Elle Joyner]Okie doke :) (the costume choices on Reign make me wanna strangle someone xD )

[/QUOTE]
My wife would hug you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back