• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy The Unlikely Road

"No no, Lass, I got it- mmph!" Tails and whiskers bristled up as another hefty step shot a nerve of pain from where the troll bashed his rib. He looks to Umi with raised cheeks and an upward slant of those hairy eyebrows. "I-If ye don't mind." Umi's belongings were carefully placed on the crunchy snow surface. It was a noticeable improvement as Bran's aches and bruises were less disruptive to his locomotion. But even he had to admit that a good night's rest would relieve some of the soreness.

"Hrm... Just some mechanisms. Switches to press, panels to avoid. My hunch is a third scoundrel involved in all this." Re-crumpling the scroll in his pocket, he acquiesce to her other suggestion. "Let's find a secure restin' spot. Err... So ye can investigate that thingie." Yes, to investigate. And not because of his injuries. No siree. Bran stood with his mitts cupping around his ears. Listening to the sounds of nature. His eyes casted away from distractions. It was out there... "Chirp, chirp". The Leonin jerked with excitement, pointing towards an unused path. "Aha! C'mon lass. Quickly now!" His mighty feet stamped across the white landscape. It was a short but strenuous check, less you're made of muscle, but the end of their jaunt is rewarded as an open alcove reveals itself, housed by a number of proud birds with resplendent, indigo eyes. Seemingly, they've made their homes here. The nests lining the sides and ceiling. Quizically, they look at their foreigner near their home. But after emitting a small whistle, their stances relax and the birds return to doing bird things.

Bran's own pearly eyes lit up at the spectacle of nature "Omen hawks. A gift for the travelers. Ye will be safe so long as the nests remain undisturbed." He hobbles over to the entrance of the alcove, quietly displacing his belongings to set up the beds and basic accommodations. A bag of nuts was offered to the hawks, which they happily began distributing to their fellows. "Time to get a feel fer that musical device. I'll study up a little on the temple's intricacies, if that sounds like a plan to ye."

1664925173845.png

Umi looked to Bran with a slight frown then followed him. It wasn't long before they had found a hidden utopia it seemed. The birds were like something from the stories she had read. Already she felt her heart and mind feeling with inspiration for new songs. This was what she had been wanting. What she had been looking for. Never before had such birds graced her presence. "Beautiful. But I don't think the word does them justice." Looking to the leonin, she could tell he felt the same. Almost entranced by the scene.

"Omen hawks... a fitting name. Good or bad omens tho?" Quietly she watched them dance for a bit longer before Bran set out nuts for them. He really was the gentle giant. At least until he or something he protected was in danger. Then released was the beast he looked to be. She needed to get to her scrolls to scratch down a few notes before they became lost to memory. A melody was already starting to solidify before the words were even ready. Some notes that wouldn't cease, a cord or two followed by a few words that lingered in the back of her mind. A song just for him would be stronger than some generic everyday tone she often played.

Pulling the cloak tight around herself as she sat down. "That sounds good. I'm going to jot down some notes real quick." A third person. Seemed he thought the same as her. Someone else getting involved with all this. Was the treasure within really that big of a deal? But the town was so small and secluded. She truly believed the town started the rumors just to get more people coming to take a peak. Creating revenue. Coins were flowing more freely now, that was for sure. Mostly at the tavern and some of the supply shops. Only to find out that the treasure was real. "uses music... curse... ice..." She looked back to Bran then wrote down a few more things into her scroll. "I need to hear it play at least one more time if possible. Without causing problems. Looking back up at the birds. "We just don't want to bother them."

A purring chuckle carried from his beastly maw as he listened to Umi's wonderment. He offered one of the hawks a light scratch then turned to fish out a jerky for his own growly stomach. "Mighty beautiful indeed. The name carries two meanings. If ye happen upon one, they say it's good luck. But if they come a'findin' you, it'd be ill tidings. Thought I'd take the initiative" Hunching down like a kitten in a tiny box, he laid out the scroll to study with great intrigue. There seemed to be three main rooms connected by corridors within the temple. At least it wasn't a maze. But the security detail seemed strict and still functional. Much of the detail of the trap's designs was lost to time, but the Duke was kind enough to provide hints on how to disable them. Eh, good enough for Bran. Wading through landmines is just another job for him.

"Lass, think I've got the plans committed to- Oh." He stared at Umi who was having an intimate discussion with her muse, not wanting to disturb her focus. The excitement she possessed while jotting down notes with gleaming inspiration in her eyes contrasts the fire-raising, demon-possessed, minstrel that had burned his backside not a moment ago. Silently cocking his head at the paper, he caught a few glimpses of the weird wavy lines and odd word-play at work. Wait, was she writing a song? Oh gosh, if the mercenaries learned of his folly with the troll, he could die of embarrassment. He has an image to uphold!

"W-what? Hear a play? Oh- the music-crown-thing. Yer right, let's make some tracks before messin' with it." Turning to nab the crown (and hide his flushed face), he hoists himself up. Sauntering across the snow while waving towards Umi to follow along. Being some pace away, he roughisly begins to peck at the thing with his finger. There wasn't an obvious on-switch or anything, and the blasted thing simply wouldn't play. "Maybe ye damaged it in the conflict? Big paws like mine ain't meant for intricate repairs, have a look yerself but be careful, aye?"

She looked up for a second as he spoke. "Double... I see. So they will hunt a person down. Good to know we're welcome here then." She went back to the writing only for a moment longer. He was going to check it out now? "Oh, right. Coming." Quickly she made it up to her feet and followed. However he wasn't able to get the thing to play.

Not everything that played music had an obvious on or off switch. Most couldn't even fathom playing the devices that were paper fed with pre-punched holes. There were no obvious strings or buttons. No on or off switch. Just the scroll and the contraption. To turn it on one just needed to place the first hole over a special hook and then spin the wheel it was attached to. From there it simply played on its own. Taking a careful look, she didn't see any place to feed music into it.

Hmm.. "It's not magical. I hope we didn't break it." Umi replied, taking it from him. Turning it over in her hands slowly. Looking for a button, crank or switch of any kind. "If it's driven by a curse then I wonder if it has to be on something to work? Don't think I want to try that." She looked at it a bit more before looking up at Bran. 'It was a jingle sound. Right? No, there was more to it I think."

With a sigh, she handed it back to him. Not wanting to hold on to the device longer than she had to. "Anyway, let's get some sleep. In the morning we will hit the temple and then get back to town as quickly as we can. Hopefully, we don't run into anything else like this."

Bran couldn't stand to see someone look so defeated. Especially as they did their best tinkering with an alien device. If someone just had to wear the device... "Hah, fits like me boot!" Jingle jingle, Bran's body began twisting and gyrating in ways you'd not thought feasible for a big guy like himself. Motes of magical melody began encircling him in vivid spectacles of prismatic colors. They played an eerie tune, a haunting melody. Like the looming organ piano with its heavy pipes filling the temples. The lion's pupils began to drown in a psychedelic color and just as it soon sang, the melody stopped, aside from the periodic jingling.

Branicek, now slumped in the snow, began twisting his movements robotically. Then he shot up! Deadpan expression. His neck craning towards the temple's entrance still some wanderings off. "I understand... Master..." With his arms hanging before him, he makes rigid steps towards the temple. His legs rotating in an uncomfortably roundabout method, like the tale of zombies from the southern swampland. As Umi continues to process just what the heckle is going on, her training in music picks up a pattern in the jingle. Jing jing, jang jang, jingle jang~. They ring in harmony with Zombie Bran's movements as his pace starts to hasten, threatening to devolve into a sprint. "Oooh... Uhhh..."

"Wha...." She didn't have a chance to get the words out. What was he doing?! "BRAN?" The music was already starting to play. But at least she got to hear what she needed. She kinda understood. Now to free him from the stupid thing. "Bran, this is going to hurt you much more than it hurts me." Or at least she hoped. He showed awesome strength against the troll. Hand to hand she would be no match against him. But maybe it wasn't too late. Reaching for her tambourine she realized it was left behind. Her lute wasn't on her either. However, she did have the flute shoved into a pouch still.

"Bran, you flee-bitten cat! I've seen pixies with more brawn than you! You scrawny-legged, limp noodle, spaghetti-armed feline!" If there was anything left of Bran, that would surely have struck a cord. Gathering up a clump of snow, she tossed it at him. Hitting him in the back with the loose-backed snow. "I thought we were partners! I thought you were stronger than this!?" She cried out before taking a few steps back. There was hope that something reached him. If nothing else that she pissed him off and he would stick around. Reaching into her pouch, she pulled out the little penny flute.

Umi wasn't going to simply run away. This was her fault. She was going to help him, one way or another. Even if it cost her in the end. It was the least she could do for him. When the time came she planned to cast something to shrink him down to size a bit. Or maybe she could hold him in place just long enough? YEAH!! Staring at him, she brought the flute to her lips. Starting her song that would hopefully entangle him once it was finished.

"Flea-bitten?" He repeated in a whimpering sorrowful voice. Zombie Bran began inspecting himself for those nasty bloodsuckers. The musical helmet hummed a louder tune to wrestle control of their host, but it was beginning to prove a struggle as Umi hurled gut-wrenching insult after insult. For perhaps she knew that debasing a proud man's muscles was sharper than any steel and hotter than any pyre.

"Spaghetti-armed... Limp-noodled..." His movement became encumbered by the frustration of the helmet. Each step weighed down by the accumulation of shameful verbiage. The sorrowful cracking of his voice soon turned to rage as he turns to stare at Umi with those possessed eyes, brows furled into a glare. "Stronger..."

There was insecurity, and then there was Zombie Bran. But Umi was prepared for such outcomes (right?). The Leonin's body twitched and flexed, expanding his muscles as they ripple against the stitched fabrics. His hulking body increases momentum with a raging pair of fists, inching ever closer toward Umi. Thankfully, the undying melody on his forehead continued to interfere with his movement, making him as slow as he was big. Umi would have the window of opportunity she needed, but she knew if one of those fists connected, it'd be a while before she could digest solid food again. "I will show you TRUE strength, little stick person!!"

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back