• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy The United Council of Magic

Baconhands

The Traveller
Dear Reader

We hope this letter finds you well in both physical and mental health.

The council of Arch Mages have invited you, as one who is finely tuned to magic, to enhance and hone your skills in council's branch HQ in Geneva, Switzerland and become an apprentice to one of the twelve remaining Arch Mages.

It is widely believed that magic has vanished from the world but, dear reader, we have encouraged this myth since the council's inception in 1784. Alas I am not here with you to demonstrate this but I have evidence that you yourself already know of: incidents in and around every day life that you can not explain. Like I fore-mentioned, this is because of the Magic within you, a long suppressed family gene that has now awoken inside of you.

We cannot necessarily trust that you will come and begin your training by yourself, but a relationship must be built on trust in order to ensure co-operation between the two participants. To ensure that the secret of this council's existence is kept, this message will delete your memory and the memory of your family unless you arrive alone within a fortnight. For those too young to travel alone, transport will be provided for you.

Until we see you, have a pleasent fortnight,

Yours in Good Faith

Grand Master James Seraph

Set in a modern setting, this RP is chiefly centred around magic and it's use in combat, specifically against demons which spew forth from portals that randomly open across the world. The council keep these, and themselves, a secret from modern society. Your character will at first arrive at Geneva where they will greet each other and over a period of a few months (in the RP) will train their powers. Hopefully some rivalries will pop up among characters during this time.

During this time there will be no other recruits and very little sign of other wizards. Events will transpire and death may occur, all of which will happen under the watchful eye of the Arch Mages.

I am working on some more lore and what magic is and isn't allowed. I would like this to be a detailed-casual RP, so a certain amount of lines will be necessary per post. I have a basic plot laid out, but I hope that role players in the RP will influence the course of it.

Timeline of recorded and known Magic events (All records prior to 1784 have been destroyed or lost, reasons unknown):

17/09/1784: The first council of magic is held in Geneva, Switzerland, to discuss the ‘revival’ of magic in all its forms; Mages from Thirteen countries attend this convention including representatives from the UK, Prussia, Austria, Russia and France. None of the representatives’ governments are informed as religion is still a somewhat key part of society in some participating countries. Over the following weeks, a secret society is established with Arch mages assigned to every country represented and a single wizard is elected to administrate this secret guild of mages.

30/09/1784: The first ‘Grand Wizard’ is elected to lead the guild. His name is Jonathan Seraph, the Arch mage of the United Kingdom. He creates the ground work for the order, drafting a formal structure for the society and recruitment rules. To ensure magic does not die, he decides each Arch Mage must have an apprentice to continue their country’s magic. The apprentice will be the successor to the Arch Mage. The European Council of Magic is established to create laws on the use of magic and ensure all users are responsible and trustworthy.

27/06/1796: With tensions in Europe reaching an all-time high, the council agree that no wizards should be allowed to participate in the wars to keep their society a secret, holding a vote that is narrowly approved of by one vote (7:6). Notable Arch mages who did not want this rule introduced include Francis Cassavant of France and Friederik Mazort of Prussia.

Countries that voted yes: The UK, Spain, Portugal, Sweden, Switzerland, Sardinia-Piedmont, Russia

Countries that voted no: Austria, Denmark-Norway, France, Prussia, Bavaria, The United Provinces

06/07/1796: Francis Cassavant vanishes mysteriously. His apprentice Leo Jymena takes his place as Arch Mage of France. He is a necromancer.

02/12/1805: The Battle of Austerlitz occurs and despite being numerically outnumbered and outgunned, the French destroy an allied Russo –Austrian army. Report reach the Arch Mage of Austria that the French troops, despite being shot dead, returned to life and continued fighting. This matter is brought to the attention of the magic council, without Leo Jymena’s presence.

07/12/1805: France is officially removed from the European Council of Magic, with all remaining members citing the French mages as rebels and heretics. Despite protests from Bavaria, Spain and Switzerland, the remaining Arch Mages declare that they will not rest until France has been defeated and corruption purged from French magic, and by default, European magic.

25/10/1806: With the fall of Berlin to the French and the political alliances between certain countries the Prussian, Bavarian, The United Provinces’, Swiss and Sardinian representatives turn on the other representatives, citing them as aggressive and corrupt. A civil war breaks out between them.

27/10/1806: The First War of Magic officially begins with all European great power taking sides in order to ‘cleanse’ European magic of all corruption. While the war is only fought between around three thousand wizards (most of which are only just starting to learn magic) large amounts of civilians are killed and land destroyed. The wizards claim that the magic being used are merely artillery from enemy armies, which their governments believe. Though not many battles are fought, sixty percent of the participants are killed in the fighting.

19/01/1812: The First war ends with little gains made on either side. A European council is convened to try and resolve problems among the Arch Mages and Leo Jymena is even invited to attend. Only the Arch Mages are in attendance. Jonathan Seraph mediates negotiations between all of the other Arch Mages.

23/01/1812: All Arch Mages except for Leo Jymena mysteriously vanish along with Leo Jymena’s apprentice. When Jonathan Seraph’s apprentice, Lucas Montewar, approaches him about the mysterious disappearances he is confronted by the twelve shuffling corpses that used to be the Arch Mages. With evidence in hand, Lucas Montewar summoned the other apprentices and informed them of what happened.

24/01/1812: The apprentices declare Leo Jymena a force of evil and all agree he must be destroyed. Knowing he planned to help the French invade Russia, the apprentices gather in Moscow.

14/09/1812: The French army reaches Moscow to find it abandoned almost entirely. When Leo Jymena goes to investigate, Lucas and the other apprentices ambush him and after a brief battle Leo is destroyed utterly. The explosions caused the fire of Moscow, which was key to the Russian victory.

06/06/1816: To avoid knowledge of magic remaining in the memories of the ‘common man’, all the mages of Europe come together to wipe the memories of all magic from everyone not attuned with magic. The magic society is reorganized with new members from America joining the order.

1837: Members from Belgium join, the United Provinces members become members from the Netherlands. The Kingdom of Sicily gains members and representatives from Brazil and Argentina send members. Minor German states join.

09/11/1854: Long thought to have been lost magic, a shapeshifter named Fulgrim Molkas from Denmark joins the order. He quickly replaces Arch Mage Aeric’s apprentice after defeating him in a duel.

25/12/1854: Christmas Day incident

14/06/1857: The Union’s size swells to over 10,000 people, representing 40 different countries, though most members are from one of the Great Powers of the time. It is a time of peace among all magicians.

18/09/1864: Sardinia aggressively expands into Lombardi, and with the support of the Sardinian government, an ‘unlicensed’ magician named Vesalius leads the Italian army to victory in a decisive and chilling way. Using a combination of Earth and Lightning magic, Vesalius soon goes insane from the amount of power at his fingertips, decimating large amounts of Northern Italy. The arch mage of Sardinia quickly disposes of him and tales of Vesalius are soon eliminated as mere propaganda.

30/01/1871: Germany unifies into one Empire. All arch mages of the German states are forced to relinquish their titles and for them to elect one grand Arch Mage of Germany. Italy is also forced to do the same.

06/06/1894: The first female wizard is allowed to join the guild. This causes significant amounts of uproar at first but her power quickly silences any protestors.

08/07/1896: Grand Wizard Percio of Greece comes to power. Noting the significant swell in numbers, he predicts that a portal to another realm, one more magical than this, has opened, causing more people to tap into dormant magical genetics. He orders every Arch Mage to stop recruiting members and demands the portal be found and closed.

09/04/1899: The portal is located in Lapland, then part of the Russian Empire. Arch Mage Alexander of Russia, Arch Mage Sven of Sweden and Arch Mage Louie of France are ordered to muster all the wizards of their represented countries and close the portal. Roughly 4000 wizard, a mere ten percent of the total wizards known to be in the world, travel to Lapland but none return.

25/02/1901: A second expedition is launched to the portal, this time combining wizards from twenty different countries, including all great powers of the time: Great Britain, France, Russia, Austria, Germany, Italy and the USA. Marshalling near 90% of the total known wizards, 32,400 wizards travel to Lapland. Upon landing there, they discover the grim fate of the 4000 wizards before them but continue onwards towards the portal. As the approach, demons begin spewing out of the portal, roaring in a terrifying bloodlust. A great battle in the snow takes place, with a reported 23,567 dead, wounded or missing by the end of it. At the sacrifice of three Arch Mages, the portal is closed, though the remaining ones fear there may be more in the future.

12/11/1908: It is noted that the Grand Wizard Percio never seems to age, despite coming into power at the age of 57. At a council one week later, the Arch Mages confront him about this and he chuckles, revealing that he is a demon. All but seven of the Arch Mages are slain destroying him.

11/11/1918: World War One Ends. A swell in member states occurs after the dissolution of many Empires in Europe such as the Austrian and Ottoman Empires. The number of member states is reported as being at 52, though number of members remain low at roughly twelve thousand wizard and witches.

15/02/1926: Arch Mage Hellego of Denmark theorizes that all witches and wizards can only perform one kind of magic without going insane. This apparently ‘chosen magic’ is born into their genetics, with some magic being rarer than others. This theory is widely accepted, with only a couple of exceptions ever being noted.

05/12/1936: Suspected Magicians are persecuted throughout the Soviet Union and Germany, despite the fact the rest of the world and the common man believe that Magic no longer exists.

07/04/1942: Suspected Magicians across German occupied Europe and Asia are executed for their ‘heretical practices’.

06/12/1947: Two years after the Second World War ends, an international council is convened: the entirety of the International council is reorganized and redrafted with each member country still continuing to have an Arch Mage and that Arch Mage continuing to have an apprentice but with a different hierarchy. The Grand Wizard still controlled and administered the entirety of the organization and they were still elected from an Arch Mage, however, electorates can only be made from those considered worthy by at least 50% of the other Arch Mages. This is limited to a maximum of ten electorates. Permanent electorate seats are reserved for the Arch Mages of: the UK, France, the Soviet Union, the USA and China. All disputes are handled by the council.

Further, all those attuned with magic in all member countries must be recruited and their powers trained and controlled.

The magic world enters into an era of peace for 53 years.

06/12/2000: It is discovered another portal has opened in Washington DC, USA. Despite the years of peace and prosperity, the number of wizards in the world has fallen from 156,000 in 1947 to just 15,000 in 2000. Without the power to close the portal, the American Arch Mage decides to redirect all demons to the branch HQ in the Nevada desert where they are promptly destroyed.

19/02/2006: The portal closes by itself. All wizards are puzzled by this anomaly.

03/08/2009: Rogue wizards begin to target cities around Europe and North America, citing that ‘normal’ human beings are inferior and should be exterminated. Their leader is quickly found and killed and the group is soon caught.

04/11/2015: The Arch Mage of Russia notices a large magical influx in Siberia, suggesting a portal may open up there, larger than any before this one. With permission from the rest of the Arch Mages he gathers all wizards with the exception of 14 Arch Mages and the Grand Wizard before leading an expedition into Siberia. The Grand Wizard encourages the remaining 14 Arch Mages to search for apprentices, as they have been reluctant to do so until now. Guild masters, Recruiters and Masters of Arms are ordered to remain at their guild HQs.

05/11/2015: Laikas Jymena, great-great-great grandson of Leo Jymena is found and quickly brought to the guild branch in the United Kingdom to be trained. To their surprise, he is not a necromancer like Leo, but a Shape Shifter.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm interested!

And would be up for adding ideas and things to the plot as it goes along, once the framework of fixed-canonical-things has been set up.

Interested C:

What types of magic would be employed? Or would you delve into that subject with more planning?

Pseudonym said:
Interested C:
What types of magic would be employed? Or would you delve into that subject with more planning?
I have several in mind already, all of which are mentioned in a somewhat brief timeline of events I have drawn up: Necromancy, Lightning Magic, Earth Magic and Shape shifting. I will add the time line as a spoiler

Ah okay, sounds good

I'm up for whatever you need me to do, if you need any help, or just need me to chill

I can't say when I'll have the thread up; school's got a whole lot busier recently. But if interest is good here I'll likely have the thread up by Saturday or Sunday

That is perfect because I am busy as well, (and patient). Take your time ^^

Interested. c:

Does the magic have to be combat-related (i.e. fire, ice, darkness, et cœtera), or can it be something more comprehensive like healing magic?

This is the first RP in a while that has sparked such an intense interest from me. I will definitely join!

Manaciel said:
Interested. c:
Does the magic have to be combat-related (i.e. fire, ice, darkness, et cœtera), or can it be something more comprehensive like healing magic?
That's what I'd prefer but if someone wants a certain kind of magic, let's say teleportation or something like that, as long as they checked with me about it I'd likely be okay with it.

Sounds interesting. I'll bite. Also, where can characters be from? Can there be characters from places like Australia, Mexico, Egypt, Mongolia, Indonesia etc. or must they be from specific places?

Fezzes said:
Sounds interesting. I'll bite. Also, where can characters be from? Can there be characters from places like Australia, Mexico, Egypt, Mongolia, Indonesia etc. or must they be from specific places?
Most countries have at least one Mage a part of the council. Australia would have joined around 1926

So in terms of types of magic I have ten in mind at the moment: Necromancy, Pyromancy, Water Magic, Air Magic, Earth Magic, Telekinesis, Shape shifting, Summoning magic, Mind magic, Lightning magic. Official names for them are open for discussion and I ask for any suggestions for any more types of magic

Necromancy, Pyromancy, Hydrokinesis, ???, ???, Telekinesis, Shape shifting, Conjuration, Psionics, ???.

That's the best I have right now. I'll think a little more.

Interested!

I always have a thing for the power of nullification, is it allowed?

I'm interested. It would be cool to have two more types of magic, one for each Archmage. Here are my suggestions: technopathy (this would be a relatively new type of magic) and arcane magic

In terms of linguistics (nerd), the -mancy suffix means "divination using" or "talking with". The exception to this is obviously necromancy, as the word has changed a lot over time: originally it was "a means of speaking to the dead to determine the future", so raising the dead/spirits to talk with them. Which became focused on the "raising the dead" part, and now refers to that kind of thing in general.

Which I'm mentioning as potential ideas for magic abilities' names! Greek derived terms are usually used in conjugation with greek-derived suffixes. (e.g. "necro-" meaning "dead".) Hopefully I get my greek terms right, instead of mixing them up with other things. Either way, this is very unofficial, in as much as magic can be unofficial, I suppose.

Baconhands said:
Necromancy, Pyromancy, Water Magic, Air Magic, Earth Magic, Telekinesis, Shape shifting, Summoning magic, Mind magic, Lightning magic.
As fire is "pyro-", water would be "hydro-". Air would be "aero-" ("anemo-" for wind). Earth would be "geo-". Shape-shifting would possibly be "morpho-" (form or shape) or "metamorpho-" (as in metamorphoses). Mind/spirit is "psycho-" (dream is "oneiro-"). Lightning is "kerauno-", whereas electricity is just "electro-".

I'm not sure about summoning, but I think that would do well with a "-mancy" suffix. Depends on what would be summoned, though. "Skia-" is shadow, so "skiamancy" is divination or consorting with shadows, and "therio-" is beasts or animals, so you could have "theriomancy". And so on!

The term for general magic is "-magy". Feeling or healing (or suffering) is generally "-pathy".

The ability of controlling (moving) something would have the suffix "-kinesis". So telekinesis /psychokinesis is moving things with the mind, pyrokinesis is manipulating fire, hydrokinesis is manipulating water, etc.

Hexagonal said:
In terms of linguistics (nerd), the -mancy suffix means "divination using" or "talking with". The exception to this is obviously necromancy, as the word has changed a lot over time: originally it was "a means of speaking to the dead to determine the future", so raising the dead/spirits to talk with them. Which became focused on the "raising the dead" part, and now refers to that kind of thing in general.
Which I'm mentioning as potential ideas for magic abilities' names! Greek derived terms are usually used in conjugation with greek-derived suffixes. (e.g. "necro-" meaning "dead".) Hopefully I get my greek terms right, instead of mixing them up with other things. Either way, this is very unofficial, in as much as magic can be unofficial, I suppose.

As fire is "pyro-", water would be "hydro-". Air would be "aero-" ("anemo-" for wind). Earth would be "geo-". Shape-shifting would possibly be "morpho-" (form or shape) or "metamorpho-" (as in metamorphoses). I'm not sure about summoning, but I think that would do well with a "-mancy" suffix. Depends on what would be summoned, though. "Skia-" is shadow, so "skiamancy" is divination or consorting with shadows. As an example. Mind/spirit is "psycho-" (dream is "oneiro"). Lightning is "kerauno", whereas electricity is "electro".

The term for general magic is "-magy". Feeling or healing (or suffering) is generally "-pathy".

The ability of controlling (moving) something would have the suffix "-kinesis". So telekinesis /psychokinesis is moving things with the mind, pyrokinesis is manipulating fire, hydrokinesis is manipulating water, etc.
Well I think we all learned a little somthing today. (Not trying to sound sarcastic)

Baconhands said:
By which you mean taking away someone else's powers?
No, nullifying magical attacks, seals and traps (only after they are activated)

Wow

That was a nice lesson in language<3

A+ for creativity and knowledge

Hah, I wish I had something useful like that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back