The Thinking Room

I'm getting closer to self acceptance, I know it wont change because I go with my own flow for 90% of the time, just need that other ten percent, but I guess I am fine with it. Death is natural and beautiful, the prosscess of going from this life into the afterlife and it souldn't be interrupted. I believe in its acceptance, which I am. In reality I dont think I will break when my Dad or my Nana passes. You cant break something that's already broken in. But I know I will miss them very much because of their compassion towards myself and others. Even though I understand and accept it, I am afraid to die, who isn't? I want to see the world and enjoy along life and who wouldn't?

[QUOTE="Jager 9]just realized that I am not really answering questions....sorry, more like releasing my thoughts...

[/QUOTE]
That's fine! Even if you didn't answer my questions, I think it's interesting to hear stories like that.

However, about beginning to think you're a monster. Don't! Being worried about being a bad person just goes to show that you can't be that bad. :)

I've never really had affective empathy, but I like to think I'm not a monster just because of that. xD

You are right Ghost, I shouldn't feel that way seeing as I still love people though, I get really worked up over how my America and her people constantly kill each other instead of uniting as one under the flag, people always want better but are unwilling to compromise and is really pisses me off...

(Just to clarify "My America" is based upon the People, which I am one of, each American it America and America is the people)

welp, that was a little off topic lol

Jamiesue said:

?

Wow, you guys have been hard at work with philosophy while I have absolutely not been paying close enough attention to this;

I think sometime soon I'm going to take the time to formulate answers to all of these brilliant questions, with props of course to all of your great answers.

Plus, I might unveil a few deep questions of my own! (:*)

?

Same lol I missed out on this

Ghost said:
1.) Why is there a social obligation and expectation to have bonds with and love your family members? Parents, siblings, cousins... Even when great-whatever aunts that you've never met before die, you're expected to be upset. For an example of a person that should be closer, substitute "aunt" with "a grandparent you speak to maybe once a month regularly" or even "every sunday!" Blood relations don't immediately make your personalities compatible.

2.) Why do people take indifference worse than hate? More specifically, when it comes to being indifferent towards people you know instead of disliking or hating. But you can also answer on a broader spectrum too.

I didn't intend to have the Q's be related as they were conceived as totally separate questions... Just so ya know, since asked right next to each other like that, and the subject matter... Lol.
A ton of people answered this but hey new spin

1) It's instinct - they think you owe something to your family because in some way they either led to you being here or supported the family closer to you. By instinct we enforce debts all the time -or else how would we get along back in the days of no money - and they just don't understand because everyone has in their minds the picture of their grandpa or family member, and doesn't know the situation with yours. It's very subconscious

2) Also instinct - if they know you there's thing that are different with hate instead of difference. Hate can be just for a moment then you're cool, indifference can be more thought through like you're cutting someone off and it's over. It seems more severe, but that wouldn't have been the case back when people still duelled and beat eachother up over honor. Or if it's your boss, or someone really important who could do something about their anger

What is the line between confidence, and overconfidence?/What do you perceive to be a good, healthy dose of confidence, and what isn't?/More importantly, do you think a healthy bit of confidence can eventually lead into overconfidence within a period of time?

gonna take an uncommon line here but confidence is never too much rightly directed

"I can do this and make it turn out right" - never too much

"Oh it's fine" - can be too much

It's a (pretty true in my experience) cliche that when you're doing something everyone has the will to win, not everyone has the will to prepare to win, and if it's not an obsession you won't do it well. "If you've got an exit strategy, it's not an obsession" - Mark Cuban

Confidence that you can do big things and always fix anything that goes wrong is great because at that point you don't care about failing or getting hurt bad anymore, but confidence that it will always turn right is misguided, and time and time again that's what people call "overconfidence" and leads people into traps.

[QUOTE="Jager 9]
Once again my subconscious comes into play as if it were preparing me for the death of my whole family, like they wont be there tomorrow and I will go on with life as if nothing happened... I am beginning to think I am a monster....when I know I am not...or am I? I used to always have a love for people, no matter who they are as long as they dont harm anyone I really care about. I would always get hurt by others, and I would bottle it up and wish that I could shut my feelings down so I didnt have to be in pain. I used to always be angry or depressed but i would hide it with my mask, I still have a great anger but I dont really feel sad, I am beginning to feel like Dr Manhattan from The Watchmen as in "Whats the point? It going to happen anyways". I have become desensitized...

[/QUOTE]
Imo it's not as bad as people think and this kind of thing happens to a lot of people I know. I don't think it means you can't sympathize just that you don't think what most people think is right is... well... right. Even if you know some things should make you feel sad or happy, you just need to figure out why.

The kind of hardening you're talking about happens whenever people get confronted with loss of anything, or failure. You're actually getting a response that will help you a ton in other areas, but it's all about how you spin it It's hard to think of it positively when you lose family, but when you aren't successful at something, getting on with it is important, and one of the best ways to prepare is to say "if I lost everything, it would all just stop, and that's not that bad". But then after, a great thing is to take pride in how that means you can do bigger things and not be inhibited. It's more normal than people notice, but it's hard to get over if that moment happens at such an emotional point like a funeral. You can still keep it 100 and live life to its fullest without tragedy, but just with embracing the good things and the wins instead

Snap well that was a morning well spent

13f0927894eaf6f5ccb4e6cddf18481a.jpg

My brother and I were talking. I was upset prior, that being the reason for the conversation initiating as well. I wasn't upset in the pouty kind of way, rather depression and anxiety perpetuating the other. So, as we talked, we discussed what was bothering me. I supplied a list rather than expansive reasoning yet. He complied, understood and assured me these circumstances were normal, but not my attitude. Now I usually spend time by myself, thinking deeply, solving current, past and future problems, drawing out plans in my head, or simply drawing out problems that required planning, etc. So this is my comfort stage, or so I've come to believe; a realization more so than a belief. When I become upset, it's because of unsolvable things that simply pressure me before such events repeat themselves, such as death and missed opportunities because of it. So as I tried to explain this, he would not accept the fact that I use this anxiety, this depression, to focus, to drive me and that ignoring it, which is what he optimistically ensued, puts me deeper in depression, but more so anguish and despair if I were to ever look back up and see my future or previous courses of action, which I know I will, I know me. But for the sake of thought, what are you guys' thoughts about my mode of perception, or way of life?

My brother and I were talking. I was upset prior, that being the reason for the conversation initiating as well. I wasn't upset in the pouty kind of way, rather depression and anxiety perpetuating the other. So, as we talked, we discussed what was bothering me. I supplied a list rather than expansive reasoning yet. He complied, understood and assured me these circumstances were normal, but not my attitude. Now I usually spend time by myself, thinking deeply, solving current, past and future problems, drawing out plans in my head, or simply drawing out problems that required planning, etc. So this is my comfort stage, or so I've come to believe; a realization more so than a belief. When I become upset, it's because of unsolvable things that simply pressure me before such events repeat themselves, such as death and missed opportunities because of it. So as I tried to explain this, he would not accept the fact that I use this anxiety, this depression, to focus, to drive me and that ignoring it, which is what he optimistically ensued, puts me deeper in depression, but more so anguish and despair if I were to ever look back up and see my future or previous courses of action, which I know I will, I know me. But for the sake of thought, what are you guys' thoughts about my mode of perception, or way of life?
I'll answer, but not how I usually do, because from what I bolded blue, you already have solid ground.

I've realized something about advice and suggestions: they are tainted by the experience of the one who gives them. Advice/suggestions are never 100%, unless someone is giving it to somebody exactly like themselves; which is impossible. You have your stance and you know what it is. Another user may answer and I'll be watching, but I will not enter a discussion if it's just for the sake of thought.

ClaveVesari said:
I see. Well, for discussion's sake, do you get anxious? How do you subside it?
Definitely. It's funny because I do the same exact thing you do. What your brother said, is what others have told me as well. Same as you, I have plans for almost everything. If x happens, I do this. If y happens, I do this. B happens, I do this. I am pushed to create these solutions by the negative emotions I feel. I want to keep bad things from repeating themselves. We might differ here, but I relish bad things happening. I sometimes handicap myself or overshoot just so I can learn how to deal with what happens. So for me, I'm not really looking to subside the anxiety because it pushes me to become more resilient.

(If that question wasn't supposed to relate to your last one) Anxiety in general, I deal with in black and white. Fix what's making me anxious. If I don't fix it, then I must like being anxious. That works most of the time. Sometimes I find the anxiety trigger is stupid, or really do fix the issue. ( :P )

Also! Apologies if my last post came out brusque =/. I just didn't want to say anything that might make you change your whole approach to life if that's what you weren't looking for you know? I'm really careful not to mess with peoples' ways of seeing things.

ClaveVesari said:
I used to be nervous all the time and just kept my eye on the next move. Watch a lot of horror movies. First, know that you have a fight or flight reflex and that you get anxious from the flight reflex. Thinking "I wish this would end" triggers flight a lot more, thinking "things might not be good but I'll make them good" is 1) arrogant, 2) might not be true, and 3) works very well to get over anxiety, lets you act faster, and brings better results. A lot of really successful people are really weird in that they never admit they lose, but always try to get back to the same thing or win later, like it's never over. Strangely, doing this is actually really good

Another thing is mindset - you might be thinking a lot because it's worry about what might happen. When I was in Japan studies like this were really popular that said Japanese weren't as decisive as Chinese or Americans because they thought more in detail and thoroughly, while the other 2 simplified a lot. If you don't want to think of things simply since a lot might be lost, just keep in mind that almost everyone who ever did something huge fell down a lot, and got back up eventually.

The biggest thing again is always focusing on the next thing though, if you're going through pain focus on the thing after and be confident that if something gets worse, you can fix it. This helps streamline things since you just knock out problems one after the other but also puts your mind on what you're going to do instead of the bad things that happened

Hope that helps

I honestly rarely get anxious because I tend to live in the moment and I don't really plan ahead. Even when I do plan ahead, the time frame is within that same day. I do this so I don't clutter my conscious and possibly my subconscious with some form of worry or stress which leads me to being Anxious...

Here is mah next question...

For awhile I saw my life going nowhere and I finally decided to join the United States Army, I passed my ASVAB and got a 56, not fantastic but all the sub-category scores such as GT, CO, MM etc where over 100, my CO(combat) scored at 113 and my MM(mechanics) scored at 121. Now here is my situation with those two categories. I really want to be a M1 Abrams crewman and do either two or four years and switch my MOS to M1 Abrams mechanic. Yes, I will most likely see action, obviously I could die(duh) but Im not really sure how to tell my family who thinks I will be going into Mechanics right away (ooh look, getting anxious lol). I have a little time because I have to get my transcripts and other paper work to the recruiter before MEPS (basically its a physical exam). But I dont know how to positively break the ice...

AND another!

Throughout my life I go through these brief moments where I feel like "An alien in my own body" type thing and it is an incredibly uncomfortable feeling and at 8:30pm us central this happened, I don't know why I placed the time but whatever...anyways, this time it started off with me feeling really tall, I am 5'7" and I felt like I was 7 feet tall which never happenedbefore (that's 170cm to 213 cm) this is a major mindfuck (a MF I dont like) and I was wondering if anyone has experienced this or knows what causes this?

@Jager 9

Wow. You stumped me. I have no clue what to tell you for question one and I've never experienced what you talk about in question two.

[QUOTE="Jager 9]
Throughout my life I go through these brief moments where I feel like "An alien in my own body" type thing and it is an incredibly uncomfortable feeling and at 8:30pm us central this happened, I don't know why I placed the time but whatever...anyways, this time it started off with me feeling really tall, I am 5'7" and I felt like I was 7 feet tall which never happenedbefore (that's 170cm to 213 cm) this is a major mindfuck (a MF I dont like) and I was wondering if anyone has experienced this or knows what causes this?

[/QUOTE]
I know that there are mental disorders where your perception can be entirely different to your actual body. Some even perceive themselves as dead despite acknowledging that they are moving and talking. Essentially, their pragmatic and perceptional senses are in conflict. (With the latter obviously being wrong, but that doesn't help.)

Maybe your brain has a certain thing that it reacts to with a messed up sense of perception. Or it tries to balance something out (Did your situation somehow make you feel like you were too small for something?) I'd try and look at these kinda things. If it happens rarely, I'd say try and pin it down, tnen just avoid it. If it is often and considerably uncomfortable, consult a doctor. Also - Really simple, maybe your inner ear is hurt. That can cause intense balance problems, which majorly screw your brain up when it tries to orient itself.

well its not uncomfortable like pain wise, its just a trippy sensation that i really don't like... I dunno, its just super strange....

For awhile I saw my life going nowhere and I finally decided to join the United States Army, I passed my ASVAB and got a 56, not fantastic but all the sub-category scores such as GT, CO, MM etc where over 100, my CO(combat) scored at 113 and my MM(mechanics) scored at 121. Now here is my situation with those two categories. I really want to be a M1 Abrams crewman and do either two or four years and switch my MOS to M1 Abrams mechanic. Yes, I will most likely see action, obviously I could die(duh) but Im not really sure how to tell my family who thinks I will be going into Mechanics right away (ooh look, getting anxious lol). I have a little time because I have to get my transcripts and other paper work to the recruiter before MEPS (basically its a physical exam). But I dont know how to positively break the ice...
Well first off, I'd like to welcome you to the U.S. Army! Depending on what you're expecting from it, you're either joining at the best or worst possible time.

In regards to telling your family, however, you can certainly inform them that this is a decision to expand on your personal development and growth. The United States is currently in a time of peace. Of course, that's always subject to change. As of now, though, I can assure you that an Abrams crewman will not likely see action or even be deployed. In peacetime, the conventional Army assumes garrison operations. Recovery, Training, Red-Cycle taskings and the ever so infamous Field Training Exercises. With this in mind, your family can be at ease knowing that their Son/Brother/Uncle is not getting shot at or mortared on a daily basis.

Hope this helps.

I'd like to pose a question!

Who among you has had privilege to experience a lovely and refreshing Sleep Paralysis episode every couple weeks? If you have to ask what it is, you haven't had it. Trust me.

If you know exactly what I'm talking about, then what have you seen or heard? How do you wake yourself up? Do you panic?

Depersonalization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/URL] but if after reading this and that and it sounds like what you're feeling I'd research more. If it becomes more frequent or causes a lot of anxiety you can try to see a doctor or talk to a therapist- from what I know, some medications can help with it.

I haven't ever gotten a diagnosis or medication though so I can't tell you anything about it.

And again if it sounds like you, since I really don't know if it's what you're feeling (besides trained professionals only you can figure that out) there's techniques you can learn to manage it better. They're called grounding techniques and are usually used for anxiety, but they work for this specific kind of dissociation too.

WIth that post over with, I'll start looking at the other questions!

ClaveVesari said:
I don't think I'm normal or healthy, so I think my answer will be a lot different. xD I usually don't get very anxious. Occasionally when I do I don't really realize it's anxiety/stress right away- usually when it comes to things like homework deadlines.

I think it's pretty impossible not to get anxious, unless you have physical brain trauma. :P Pretty much everyone has emotions.

If I do get anxious, I usually get over it pretty quickly. I'd say within an hour, and that's giving a cushion of time. And as soon as whatever I was anxious about is over, I'm fine. I can't really recall the last time I was anxious about someone else... I'm trying to think back and drawing a blank....

There was one time I had a weirdly empathetic moment when one of my friends told me they'd been cutting- I got really upset and cried, and then ~15 minutes later I was over it and wondering what the hell that was all about. Later when more stuff like that was mentioned, it was same as always.

So I don't really do much to solve my anxiety. It'll just go away on its own.

I don't think most of the time it's being worried as much as "wow I hope it goes like _"

Like wow, this friend is mentioning getting drunk more and more often, I hope she doesn't turn into an alcoholic so that we can still hang out.

This past week my sister's boyfriend's mom (they all live together, and I went to stay with my sister for a few weeks) had me go to a small amusement park with the kids of her friend. There was one of those rock-wall climbing things where the wall was a closed circle, and it was much taller than it was wide. Bcuz obvi the point was to get to the top. I'm afraid of heights but I didn't mention it, and decided I wanted to climb to the top anyways. I made it to the top, despite the fact that my legs would randomly get p weak and involuntarily shake. It was an odd experience, because I didn't feel that scared but my legs kept doing that anyways! I have heart palpitations sometimes (idk why, haven't bothered going to a doctor yet), but somehow my legs were shaking and that was totally fine. So it just seemed really goofy to me. I'd climb, stop and wait for my legs to stop shaking, or just continue anyways. I made it to the top and hit the button, but instead of rappelling I climbed back down, because rappelling was... too scary. The harness didn't feel like it'd catch me. :P As soon as I was done, I was fine.

And like the upcoming school year. I've done online school for the past year, but I'm returning to my public school. My mom has ridiculous control issues and is strict, so when I was in school if I had even one late assignment I wasn't allowed to do anything fun or... not school-related. Because of this I ended up spending an entire year in my bedroom, and interaction with humans I actually like was mainly online. It was mainly just Pine. So I guess having to suddenly go back to school again is slightly worrying. Will I be able to hold a conversation still? After all this time being silent, giving my family one-word answers to things? I feel just so sick and tired of everything, I almost feel like I'm not going to be able to keep being friendly with my acquaintances that I don't particularly like- keeping them engaged in conversation, being affectionate, making myself seem interested. But at the same time I don't want to stop doing that- it would be bad for a lot of obvious social reasons, and some not obvious reasons- like the fact that my mom won't give me enough money to buy more than the most basic lunch meal and since that isn't enough I buy more than that and run out of money by the end of the month so either way I have to have my own personal fanclub that will give me food whenever I ask so that I can physically get through the day. Did you know that when you get really hungry, after your head hurts, the floor and walls look like they're waving slowly? Also, I have an incredibly difficult falling asleep until after 12am and thus I have a hard time getting up in the morning. Will I be late to school enough times that, once again, I'm labelled as truant and forced to go through all the shit I did in freshman year? Court, court-ordered therapy? That was a pain in the ass. Will my mom be just as harsh as ever and therefore I'll never get to do anything and become depressed and sad because there's nothing fun going on, ever? But I'm not really here for pity, I'm just explaining.

However, this general sense of nervousness I have about the upcoming school year feels... dim? Like it's easy to ignore, and it's still there, but it's like an annoyance more than anything. It's there, but it's not. But it's definitely there accompanied by my disappointment about going back to school so soon.

Church418 said:
Who among you has had privilege to experience a lovely and refreshing Sleep Paralysis episode every couple weeks? If you have to ask what it is, you haven't had it. Trust me.

If you know exactly what I'm talking about, then what have you seen or heard? How do you wake yourself up? Do you panic?
I think I've yet to experience that- and I am glad. Once, I have experienced those hallucinations people sometimes get in-between sleep and wakefulness. I vaguely remember women's voices, and for some reason I feel like they were talking about cleaning or apartments.. It was just a few sentences. But experiencing a voice that didn't sound like it was coming from my own head but obviously was was horrible, and I hope I never have to ever again even if it's normal for being half-asleep. I panicked a teeny bit.

Church418 said:
Well first off, I'd like to welcome you to the U.S. Army! Depending on what you're expecting from it, you're either joining at the best or worst possible time.
In regards to telling your family, however, you can certainly inform them that this is a decision to expand on your personal development and growth. The United States is currently in a time of peace. Of course, that's always subject to change. As of now, though, I can assure you that an Abrams crewman will not likely see action or even be deployed. In peacetime, the conventional Army assumes garrison operations. Recovery, Training, Red-Cycle taskings and the ever so infamous Field Training Exercises. With this in mind, your family can be at ease knowing that their Son/Brother/Uncle is not getting shot at or mortared on a daily basis.

Hope this helps.

Thank you very much for your input Church, that will be very helpful when I tell my family

as of the second question I am unable to answer it

@Ghost What you described is what I go through on a daily basis and I never realized what it was, Life feels like a dream about 60 percent of the day, like the article said, without purpose, so I think that it could go away after joining the Army because doing so will give purpose, but who knows. At least it has no direct effect on my every day interaction with the people I am around or the things I do

[QUOTE="Jager 9]so I think that it could go away after joining the Army because doing so will give purpose, but who knows.

[/QUOTE]
I want to say stop right here. Something was very off about that sentence. Joining the army will not give you purpose. No activity will give you purpose. It is what you do in the army, or what you do in the activity, that gives you purpose. Please make sure you understand that. Imagine if for some reason, you weren't able to stay active in the army. What would you do then? You'd be back to square one. Let's say your purpose was to play basketball, but during your play, you had a career-ending injury? What would you do then?

You may very well find a purpose through joining the army, but realize joining the army itself, will not magically give you purpose. I suggest taking a look at what you like to do, and then figure out why. That will tell you what you truly find important. Even if it's playing video games. Or drawing. Or reading. Or making fun of people. You can find clues in everything you like to do. To give you an example of the process, I'm going to tell you how I do it for myself.

I do a wide variety of things. From RPing here, to making crazy stretches, to reading and learning about a lot of different topics. At first, I couldn't connect the dots between these things, yet when I started to really take a good look at some specific examples, I slowly started to figure out why. I like getting better. I like figuring things out. I like to solve problems and share what I find with everyone else. I like opening the doors to somebody, so that they can do their best at what they're trying to accomplish.

When I RP, it's never for myself. It's to move on the story another person has to tell. I find myself more interested in making stories work than Rp'ing itself. When I make up crazy stretches, it's to find the best way of relaxing a joint, and I usually find myself sharing the technique with others. Learning about different topics, I always find myself pin-pointing the issues and working out ways of solving them/or taking advantage of them: Stabilizing Africa, the best way to make plants grow without the use of inorganic fertilizer, how the debt crisis in Greece is a good opportunity to make money. I love that stuff because of what I value or think is important (the blue-bolded text).

When you find what you value, you can turn it into a purpose that applies anywhere. I could lose RPN right now and would be alright. I could apply my values to other things. So Jager, find out what you like to do and search for why. If the values you find are also present somewhere in the army, good for you! If you can find them better met elsewhere, then consider that.

P.S. If you want more proof, it's cause of my values that I'm so attracted this thread. ( :P )

@Jager 9 In addition to what White said, I wouldn't put your hopes in joining the army curing/treating depersonalization. I've had it since I was a kid, sometime between age 7 and 11, and while it's a lot better than what it used to be and is more episodic than constant, I don't know if it'll ever go away completely.

I guess it seems kinda harsh, but I don't want to give you any false hopes. It's a mental illness (or symptoms of one) like any other. Figuring out your purpose might help, but idk.

I think it's great though that it doesn't affect your daily life- I know it can get that bad for some people.

I hear ya Ghost, I just live in the day ya know? That is probably what keeps it from popping up but who knows? And I wouldnt be surprised by this being caused by a traumatic event. I really appreciate the answer to this question I have had for a looong time. it actually a great relief believe it or not :)

ALRIGHT!!! New Question!

this one is not in depth however it might spark a nice conversation...

What inspires you as an RPer to create an RP? Such as a Genre even Music....

What kind of RPs do you enjoy and wish there was more of?

Personally I really enjoy Post Apocalypse RPs and I believe even in a nuclear apocalypse setting things such as helicopters and various other vehicles are still accessible and useable (I have always wanted to be a Super Hind gunship pilot in this particular setting). I also love SciFi, Futuristic, Steam Punk and Airships. Yes Steam Punk and Airships tend to all in the same category but I dont think they should always walk hand in hand.

On the Post Apocalypse note, I do not enjoy Zombie genres, its always "AH! Zombie!" -shoots and/or runs away- and its rather boring to me

What inspires you as an RPer to create an RP?
Nothing special really. Just to test how far I can go in flipping things on their heads. If someone already did a good job of it before, I'm not touching it.

What kind of RPs do you enjoy and wish there was more of?
Super-powered tournament role-plays, where people actually die/lose. I love the competition aspect. Doesn't matter if I win or lose, I just love the competitive atmosphere. I want smack talk, insults, highlighting there can only be one, broken dreams, tenacity, not being enough, just being enough...it's wonderful. No personal attacks though or anything going beyond the RP. That's just bad taste & hopefully there'd be zero tolerance for it. Losing is a part of life, as one side was not skilled enough, didn't prepare properly, or couldn't make it due to other factors. I'd enjoy a role-play that incorporates and respects that. A super-powered tournament RP would cover that nicely, IMO.

As for you love of Apocalypse RP, start one! Yeah, Zombies may be overplayed, but only cause they're re-done in basically the same way. I couldn't tell you how to change it, but try to put a spin on zombies to make including them fun?

• Mecha Zombies?
  • Flying Zombies?
  • Zombies that turn human?
  • The Earth is taken over by some crazy aliens and humans willingly turn into zombies to give themselves a fighting chance?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back