• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy The Tale of the Never-Ending Tree and Those that Live in It

olive.tree

hot cocoacane
98e6b5fabb1f9225b19ba60d51c31395.jpg

"Oh," Your friend breathes. "That's a big tree."

You think 'big' may be an understatement.

The Never-Ending Tree is a never-ending, space-warping, dimension-hopping, critter-housing, possibly-sentient, hopefully-benevolent tree. As it jumps from dimension to dimension, it occasionally picks up new residents; the curious, compulsive folk who, when confronted with a very large tree, see no other option but to climb it. Of course, the moment their feet leave the soft, mossy ground below for the Tree's lower branches, they suddenly find that the ground below is no longer so soft, or even mossy, or even existent. The Tree jumps again, to a world of fire, or water, or a material so beyond the limits of comprehension that the mind can only translate it as viscous little Lego pieces, and the curious adventurer is trapped, with their only option to brave the new, foreign dimension they find themselves in or, alternatively, to climb.

90% of the time, they climb.

As they go higher, the tree begins to expand. It's trunk grows thicker, wider, until it would take an entire bus full of human-sized entities to encircle it, hand it hand. The branches also grow thicker, both in size and abundance, until their lush, green ends almost totally obscure the sky beyond (assuming, of course, that this particular dimension has a sky and not just rows upon rows of very sharp teeth). And, most curiously, the traveller begins to encounter holes in it's trunk that look very much like windows, and wooden planks that look very much like doors, and strange new beings that bustle about their business, greet each other and you, and look very much like they live and thrive within this curious, curious Tree.

Eventually, the traveller will find their own living quarters. Just a few rooms, compact, carved into the trunk of the Tree, littered with a few pieces of paraphernalia that are suited to their interests. Though there is nothing to definitively prove that this little cottage belongs to them, they will know, deep down, that it is theirs, and they must make it their home. Besides, of course: where else could they possibly go?

They'd best get to know their neighbours.

~~~

Hiya! Looking for something chill to do during the holidays, so I made this. It's inspired (you may have noticed) by Enid Blyton's 'The Faraway Tree' series, which was my shit when I was a kid. Though I took a lot of artistic license; the only thing they really have in common now is a a giant ass tree with magic folk in it.

This RP is going to begin when a small group of human friends (three or four, any age above 14) come across a massive Tree while out exploring. They decide to climb it and, of course, suddenly find themselves forced to make themselves a home within the winding community in its trunk. Do they embrace this new life, try to integrate themselves? Are they scared, shuttering themselves in their houses and barricading the doors? Or are they angered, determined to find a way home, no matter what the cost...and there is a cost.

Like I said, I want this to be chill, so responses only really have to be a paragraph minimum. Responses once or twice a week will be fine as a minimum, too, though please take the initiative to remove yourself from fast-moving groups if you're moving at a slower pace. There's no real overarching story; I kinda want this to be in the same vein as those 2015 RPN rps where you just milled about some academy or whatever, making friends with some characters and enemies with others and building your own story within a fairly simple set up. Except, y'know, actually well written this time. That's why the leaves block out the sky - no sky means no day and night, means you can all move at your own pace without the narrative stalling at Day 1.

A few other notes:
- No character limit at this point (individually or collectively), though I will be rejecting applications that I don't believe will fit in.
- I've still got online classes going on, for some godforsaken reason, so my governing will be fairly lax. I'll mostly just keep an eye on the responses and pull up anyone being a dick, and ya'll can do what you want. I'll also update you guys on occasional, world changing events (such as a new dimensional jump or other events). Just DM me with questions about lore or complaints or what not, otherwise the world is your oyster.
- Try to follow the tone I set up in the introduction. A bit of emotional trauma is fine (encouraged, even!) but make sure your character isn't too edgy (or, if they are super edgy, make sure you as the writer are self aware and happy to poke fun at them for that)

Roles:
Humans:
1. Me
2. Open
3. Open
4. Open (optional)

Other Beings:
1. Me
2. Open
etc etc etc (unlimited slots)

Reply below if you're interested, and once I've written the essay that I'm currently, desperately avoiding doing, I'll set up an OOC and Character Sheet :-)​

I'm getting some nice Etrain Odseey vibes from this. And I'm all about that. Mind if I mill about with y'all?

A chill community RP? I'd like to throw my hat in the right if ya don't mind? I'll probably go for a human with a feeling of wanderlust.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back