• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

What nation to start in/near

• The City State of Nysinia

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Enclave of Kvitovia

• Equitor

• The People of Venn'dar

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
The street urchins looked at the new member of their collection with thinly shielded suspicion. When the coinage was passed out the four urchins took the coin without question, but in seconds one took off to "buy smoke leaf". The rest continued to stare at Verena not making any words to speak with her only staring with suspicion and doubt on her intent. After a time a few more urchins joined in the circle all looking for a hand out by the "Beggar Prince". The urchin who left came back with a small wrapped gift of smoke leaf that he shared with his friends. The urchins looked at Verena with the keen interest and intent to gain free coin from her. So much so, that the legionaries took notice and slowly gathered in strength near where Verena was but not walking any closer. The local gangsters tried to casually make their way to the urchins seeing prime recruitment grounds waiting to steal the children for their own gains.

Calista hadn’t exactly been the most useful around the camp. She still had a head ache, and was trying not to over exhaust herself. Of course, this meant that she was basically useless for the first day. She would speak to Emily, or other ghosts around the island. She found one by the beach who’s ashes were tossed into the sea, so that was interesting.

Soon, however, she was useful again. Aside from a vicious cough that could come and go, she was healing just fine. She got along easily with everyone she spoke too; it was almost unnerving. She had simply been walking around she beach of the island when she spotted the boat. She retreated to the trees just enough to where she could see them, yet she was still hidden, and watched as the smaller boats started making their way to the shore.

Calista narrowed her eyes, and turned to run back to camp. She was specifically looking for Addir, as she had noticed he was more of the protector around the island. She came into the camp, though not so fast as to alarm anyone, and started looking for Addir.

Addir wasn't hard to find. Dressed in a simple chain mail shirt much like those coming on the boats, Gunther and Addir went to the edge of the beach to greet the newcomers. A few of the other survivors also joined them. They were all known Sons of the Serpent survivors. While the two dwarves were armed. Addir with a spear and Gunther a short sword. They seemed almost welcoming to the newcomers as if they were old friends.

Emily appeared next to Calistia and spoke. "I hate those snakes. I never liked them in life or death." Her eyes remained focused on Addir as if this was the first time she saw him. "I wish Addir would just leave it all and join me"

Calista stayed near the edge of the beach, far away to see what was going on, but not close enough to hear. She looked to Emily as the ghost appeared next to her, and frowned slightly. “It’s not right to wish for someone’s death unless they deserve it or are too old. I know you want to be reunited, but fo you want him to have the pain of dying just yet?” She asked, crossing her arms as she spoke to her. “I’m not sure how I feel about them either. But, what is happening is what is. We can’t change it. I find it’s better to just adapt to the situation.” She said before taking a breath.

Emily crossed her arms her stance resolute. "Did you know he keeps all my things locked in a chest, but once a month he cleans it. He tells Gunther it's because I'll return. His life is torture my dear friend wouldn't it be better if he were to cross over into my arms." Emily's eyes were filled with passion and confidence in her words.

"Your friend.... Moriah? Marson? Martin? Would know them." Emily was struggling to recall Verena's cover name.

Calista opened her mouth to respond, but closed it silently as Emily spoke. “Yes. I suppose.” She murmured. “Just make sure you’re tethered to this island as well as him.” She said, letting her arms fall to her side. She didn’t really believe in giving into death. She was more than glad to the fact that she either didn’t see her own dead, or they left her alone. She might have gone crazy if they did.

“She’s not here. I suddenly wish she was.” Calista responded, watching the groups interact. She then cast a glance to Emily. “I suspect this means I’ll leave soon. Emily, if you would like to say something to Addir, even just let him know you’re still here, I can tell him.” She said, watching her expression. She hadn’t said anything to Addir yet about her powers, nor the fact that she talked to Emily avidly. She didn’t know if the ghost woman would want that or not.

"Well you see Calista... that's what I wanted to talk to you about. You see I'm tethered to this island by Hveti himself. And and there's a million things I want to say to Addir! But please you can help me! I know you can see the dead but please you can help me. I just need you to do a ritual!" Emily was frantically moving. While Emily never used people in life or death. Emily's tone and movements said it all. She was desperate for Calistia's help and wasn't above begging for it.

Calista was surprised at Emily's slight outburst, her eyes going slightly wide. “Ritual? What ritual?” She was absolutely willing to help Emily with anything she needed, but black magic is where she drew her line. Her magic was testy at best; her bad luck magic could backfire horrible. She had little to no control. “Emily, I’ll help you if you want me too. Whatever it is, I will try. But if it’s something regarding black magic....” She trailed off, leaving it obvious what she meant.

"Its a very simple ritual! We have all the things we need except one! And it's not black! It's just you know a unique one! Please please please help Calista you're the only one who can do it! You don't have to do anything dark if you don't want to just I need you a mage! Please please please Calista"

Emily was in tears begging at some point falling to her knees begging. Emily reached out and grabbed Calista's feet and Calista could feel the cold wrap of Emily's hands one stretch removed from being a ghost.

Calista’s eyes widened again, and she fell to her knees soon after Emily touched her. “Alright. It’s ok, Emily. I’ll help you. What do I need to do?” She asked in a soothing voice. She tried to ‘pet’ her head, but refrained when she realized she would just pass through her head. As long as nothing dark was involved, Calista wanted to help her.

"If you kill an animal I can become it! That's what Hveti told me! You just have to kill it and say a few words! Please! It's not dark if it's to bring light into Addir's life right?"

Calista was slightly taken aback. A sacrifice? That sounded dark to her. Or maybe it wasn’t even the sacrifice, just the host. “Emily, that sounds dark. What are the words?” She asked, trying to find any way to see if it truly was black magic.

"Look we both know I'm not a true ghost. I will never be able to pass into the after life because my deal with Hveti at least until Addir dies. He knew I loved animals and gave me three curses. I can only live as an animal that a friend kills. In life I never wanted to harm an animal and I made Addir promise he would never kill anything again after the war. That's why I've never been able to do this. Please its not dark it's just a small little sacrifice. I mean it's not the magic that's dark only the intent right?"

Emily's eyes were misted as she begged Calista further for a new chance to be with Addir again.

Calista pursed her lips, hard. She didn’t know if she agreed with this. But, Emily seemed desperate and honestly Calista was tearing up just watching her. Plus, she was mostly right. It was usually the intent that made magic black. So, against her better judgment, she sighed, and stood up. “What do I need to kill.” She murmured. She didn’t know who this Hveti was but she wasn’t liking him very much.

"Anything! You just need to kill it and hold it in your arms and chant 6 small words! Oh thank you thank you thank you! I can finally be with Addir again thank you!"

She nodded slowly, and looked to the forest. “What would you like to be? I would hate for you to be trapped in an animal you hated.” She said, attempting a smile.

Emily smiled wiping tears away. "A dog. Addir knows my favorite animal is a dog. Don't worry about it! I'll even be a fish if it means being near Addir again."

Calista almost winced at the thought of killing a dog. But, she took a breath and nodded. “Ok.” She said, before heading into the thick of the island to try and find something similar to what Emily wanted. She didn’t even know if there were dogs on this island.

Calista had gone to the beach for a walk, and Marguerite was sitting in front of the hut, taking a break from the chores Addir had assigned her. At first Marguerite had just been idly watching the ship draw near, a bit curious that one would seek out this remote beach, but then she could make out the serpent design and she tensed in alarm. She stood up to get a better view and saw Addir and Gunther had already headed for the beach to meet the dinghies. Calista didn't seem to be anywhere nearby, however. Maybe she had gone into the woods? Marguerite sighed and bit her lip. She would have felt slightly better if Morinia was here, she figured - at least then she'd have a clue what to make of the newcomers.

Thinking of Morinia, Marguerite's hand instinctively went to the borrowed pack of throwing knives she still carried around, but she frowned at herself. She had five of those, still no idea how to throw them properly and there were several dozen armed people leaving the smaller boats now. Also, Marguerite had no reason to assume that she and Calista were even of any interest to those Serpents, and if so, that they meant (immediate) harm. Likely they were just going about their own business, or perhaps looking for Morinia.

Marguerite itched to find out more, but couldn't think of a pretext to go down to the beach and hear what was spoken without drawing attention to herself. Even though she was probably the least memorable out of their group now that she had lost her bag in the shipwreck, it would raise questions what business she had with those men if she went to listen in now. All she could do, Marguerite felt, was to wait and see. She went back into the hut and to her work, but kept an eye on the window facing the beach in case the situation down there seemed to turn hostile.

A figure loomed over the dwarves. He was obviously the leader. A porcelain mask of a grotesque smiling face "Addir! Old friend I see you are salty as the sea is wide!" Addir rarely expressed emotion, but he made a small allowance to whack the man's armored shin much to the amusement to the disembarked warriors.

"Risus you're early! Why I have yet to make you my famous fish eye stew!" Risus smiled and gestured for his men to bring forth the cargo. Moment late a treasure trove appeared.

"The best barrel of dwarven ale. Does the brand Radolf's pride mean anything to you?" Gunther nearly broke down crying as he pawed the empty space to the barrel. "I've also brought the normal supplies and maybe a jar of pickled fish." Gunther was openly moving around throwing away any etiquette searching for his prized pickled fish leaving all laughing and even Addir smirking.

Risus took in the sight of the survivors many he recognized due to their loyalties. "Not many recruits I see but old friends. My first mate Lacrimae will give you your billet. New Salieri is only a week away boys and girls." The survivors all boarded the ship immediately without a second glance.

"you won't join us for our customary banquet?" Gunther coughed out. Half the jar of pickled fish lodged down his throat, but one could hear the sadness in being denied such an event.

"I fear not master dwarf. Tyros needs resupply. That doesn't mean there won't be next time! I'll come back with a boar, fresh bread and apples! We will have a marvelous banquet to make up for this one! How does that sound my dutiful watchers?" Gunther nodded unwilling to argue. Addir just grimly nodded.

"Then our course is set yes? I will return in two weeks time. I hope you don't mind gathering the rest of the survivors I see someone at your hut. I assume with how slow she's moving you have the old sea master with you? I heard this was her fleet that sunk" the party devolved into more small talk as the newcomers hauled up the previous cargo. They all had come her so often and long that they knew where everything went, and those goods unique to this trip, went exactly where the two dwarves themselves would placed them had they organized them.

Emily all ran yelling over her shoulder at Calista to follow. Her small victory all but assured. She went down a few game trails already knowing where to look desperately seeking to find some wild life in her bid for new life.
(Roll a D20 to see if you find anything.
1-12= failure
13-16 rodents
17-19 a dog
20 a mythical creature.)

Verena shook her head in disapproval seeing the little orphan return with a package full of smoke leaf, expecting the little rascal to spend it on desperately needed clothes and food instead. But she wasn’t here to lecture them. Their life was meaningless to her and the coins weren’t an act of kindness. “You know just as well as I do that this isn’t a charity. Help me out and the rest is all yours.”, she said in a hushed voice, knowing the street kids had better ears than most people gave them credit for. They were the little agent rats that tended to be extremely useful when offered something good in return. As she said this, Verena also glanced down at her coin purse. If they spent it well, this money could last them for weeks. She had no use for it. “I want you to stay close but not obvious. At around midnight, I need you to cause a commotion near the walls. Distract the guards. That’s all.”

Emily led the way down the game trail. It didn't take long for them to find the rodents of the forest along the path. Emily's heart soared as she continued down the trail excitedly looking for a body to posses. After a few minutes moving about, it became apparent that the noise Calista had made to just follow Emily silent or not had disrupted the forest leaving only one animal left. Emily sighed before pointing at a chipmunk with two acorns shove in its cheeks trying it's best to juggle a chest full of nuts to the top of the tree somehow unable to comprehend this wasn't going to work.

"I guess a chipmunk it is? I guess we will have to explain this to Addir?"

The street urchins quickly gathered in a circle and argued in hushed tones. No one voice ringing out over another. Three of the largest kids, two girls and a boy, seemed to be in agreement and argued with their fists waved which seemed to be winning over the crowd until a much smaller boy with shaggy black hair and grey eyes spoke. All the other urchins listened to him as if he was an adult. The moment his voice was heard over the urchins one of the legionaries swore and ran over shoving urchins aside and got in the leader of the urchin's face.

"No Gigs! No! We don't need your crap on this shift!"

The little boy raised both hands doing his best to look innocent. His smile was crooked with his front right tooth twisted at an extreme angle leaving a gap in his two front teeth.

"C'mon, we just have fun!" The Legionary smacked the kid on the head in an almost playful way.

"You managed to break a gate. I don't even know how you did it! You broke a gate that worked perfectly fine for 3 decades!"

"Hey! It wasn't my fau-" the Legionary stomped his foot and looked at the other urchins for support.

"I swear to Revenant god. If I find out one of you follow Vastum. I will make you pay. Yes?" The urchins muttered out agreement causing many to leave and the Legionnaire to sigh in real before walking back to the patrol yelling at them the problem was diffused as he walked backwards gesturing to Vastum he was keeping an eye on him before himself and the Legionary patrol left.

Only a handful of urchins remained. Vastum, a tall lanky blond girl, a fat bald boy, a taller boy who looked day away from gang initiation and lastly the kid who bought the smoke leaf who was already rolling his goods into a smokable roll to pass around. Vastum scratched his head and flicked the lice to the ground as the blond girl took over. Her voice was soft, gentle and measured. Her blue eyes curled up in sadness as she saw the lice in Vastum's hair, the fat boy rubbing his stomach and the taller boy who began to scratch at a rash on his arm.

"We want 10 thrones each!" Her arms were crossed and her face picked as if she ate something sour. This was no doubt her best attempt to look "intimidating" Vastun rolled his eyes and began to smoke the roll with the one who bought it. His eyes remained attentive to the dealings. His hands casually making recognizable signs Verena remember from her own time in the streets. He didn't signal anything ground breaking to Stella only to get as much possible from the adult.

The taller and fat boys meanwhile stood behind Stella as if they stood there they could get a better deal for themselves. Their eyes were glassed over as they looked like they were unable to comprehend any form of negotiations. The last boy who bought the smoke leaf just seemed to enjoy sharing the roll with Vastum.

Only Verena and the five urchins remained in the alley. The legionaries long gone, the less desperate urchins looking for the next odd job and any adult that lived nearby making no attempt to see the dealings between the assassin, and the collection of urchins. The sun had also gotten low enough, for a few houses that could afford the luxury, to light candles before the night took over and made such a task more difficult than necessary. The shanty town itself had no public lighting outside of those businesses that worked well into the night: inns, brothels and the odd store here and there. A few more hours and Verena would have the darkness she needed.

The sign didn’t escape Verena’s sight and a smirk grew on her face, seeing that these universal languages hadn’t changed one bit since her time. So the serpent quickly followed it up with something that roughly meant she was, or at least used to be, one of them. “My, my, the very king of rags must be standing before me to be asking this much. All I have to spare now is 21. Take it or leave it. I can just as well do this on my own.”, she shrugged. “But help me and for this night, the town will be ours. You may even learn something on the way.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back