• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

The Silken Wars

Red Shadow Claws

Six Thousand Club
It is the year 1200, and the exalted Empress Iweko I is presiding over the court in Toshi Ranbo. Just 10 years ago, shortly after her rise to the throne, she has 'requested' each of the clans, great and small, to send one child, of each of the ruling families, to the Imperial capital, to be raised together to foster goodwill in the empire (and to be hostages should their clans go against the Empress). The kids are now adults, and have recently completed their Gempukku (adulthood) ceremony, and are going their own ways. But now, witht hat over, the Clans are gearing up to try and take advantage of this boon they 'granted', and gain something for themselves.

Each of you will be playing a Samurai sent by his clan to represent them in the Imperial Court. You will be able to set agendas for your Clan, and try to improve their standing or hinder others, and try to gain positions of power for yourself and others. You will also hear rumors of the deeds of heroes, and of these youngling who were fostered, and can try to capitulate on them to your gain.

Sure! haven't found an asian dice-based in... I haven't!

If you have enough interest in an L5R RP, let me know. I would be willing to put together a character. 

i'm kool wit that, even tho i only read the first like 4 paragraphs on wikipedia.

I'm busy with roleplaying, so ill look at the whole thing later

@Esbilon pointed me towards this game so I'll throw my hat in, since he's that amazing of a guy.  Up front disclaimer, though: Haven't looked at the books in 4 years and I didn't have an especially solid grasp of the setting or rules then either.  If you're comfortable coaching and/or putting up with a newbie, I'm in!

@Red Shadow Claws when you say in the pitch that one child is called from each of the clans to represent them, that means our character options would be Hida, Doji, Togashi, Akoda, Yoritomo, Shiba (or Isawa?), Bayushi, or Moto, is that correct?

Alternatively, with this structure, it means that the minor clans might actually be a greater power bloc (as much as that's a thing) among the hostages since they're more plentiful than the great clan guests, and possibly more likely to form alliances.

@Esbilon The original hostages were one from each Family, including the Minor Clans. You are sent by your Clan, whether Great or Minor, to represent them at the imperial court, and try to win them favor.

Ah, cool. I just took "ruling families" to mean just one from each. I see four names now btw, does that mean you're ready to take this to the next level? :)

Ah, cool. I just took "ruling families" to mean just one from each. I see four names now btw, does that mean you're ready to take this to the next level? :)

If you're going to suggest taking it to the next level, you might try a candle light dinner followed by some mood music... ;)

@Esbilon is GMT +1 or something so you may not get an answer until tomorrow.  I'd research it myself but I'm sitting on an airplane about to take off.  Hopefully we can get you an answer soon!

If you're going to suggest taking it to the next level, you might try a candle light dinner followed by some mood music... ;)

I think you mean a perfectly executed tea ceremony and a handful of exchanged poems. None of that gaijin nonsense!

@Esbilon is there a place here I can load some doc files? I haven't been on this site in a few years

I'm not sure, but can't you just attach them to a post? There's a paper-clip-button beneath the text window which seems suitable for it. Alternatively, put the docs on google docs and share them?

If anyone else wants to join, I have openings.

Currently have a Phoenix, Scorpion, and Crane characters. Characters from other Clans are welcome, even the Minor Clans! let their voices be heard as well.

It's a promising game with a very well developed NPC cast and an interesting backstory that looks well-fleshed out.  

Join up, folks!  If you've never played the system before, the GM has been terrific about helping those of us who are super-rusty to get a character together.  

Some combat might happen, depending on your actions. But it is based around Diplomacy and Intrigue. So far among the players, we have a Scorpion Clan Shugenja (spellcaster), Phoenix Clan Shugenja, and a Crane Clan Courtier (diplomat). But do not be fooled, each 'class' can be a good diplomat, you just bring different things to the table, and while your teachings might not always be as useful as those of a Courtier, you have other means at your disposal.

The 'classes' in the game are:

Bushi - warrior

Shugenja - spellcaster, priest-like

Monk - an unarmed combatant, with philosophy attached

Courtier - diplomat

Artisan - maker of arts and crafts

Ninja - nobody believes ninjas exist, they are a myth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back