The Second Griffon War (Casual Thread - All welcome!)

Dumbledoof Dumbledoof
"None quite like you." She said with a smile. "You're big. Bigger than any of the others of your kind that I have met. Perhaps it was the latent magic of the Everfree mutating your form? I am not completely sure. What I do know is that you're much, much larger than all the others I have ever met."

Dreamweaver Dreamweaver
Gunnolf blinked in surprise at that. He never really considered himself to be that large (though he did tower over most of the residents of the Everfree Forest...), perhaps he was wrong in that assumption. "That is odd. Perhaps some day I'll get to meet another one of my kind, assuming I live that long." His nose twitched, and he gave a small, toothy smile. "I certainly would or could not stay with them... I quite like the family I have now, plus an all-you-can-eat buffet. Who would pass that up?"

Dumbledoof Dumbledoof
"You're such a sweetie. Big soft wolf!" Luna said while picking Gunnolf up and hugging him tightly, before setting him back down again. It was a rather awkward experience every time she decided to do that. "Enough about all that though, Gunnolf. It won't do you any good to focus on the family you may or may not have out there. Is there anything else on your mind?"

Dreamweaver Dreamweaver
He out a loud grunt at suddenly being picked up. Well, partially - he was far too large for Luna to do so completely, not without increasing in size herself as well. It was very awkward, but he appreciated the sentiment regardless. "Nothing that I can think of, besides simple worry over the war." He smirked and gave her a big ol' lick. "Thank you for listening, Luna. It means a lot to me."

Dumbledoof Dumbledoof
"I'm always happy to listen when someone needs it. Assuming I like them." She says while giggling and wiping her face from where he licked. "And you don't need to worry about the war. Celestia and myself, along with our military, will have this sorted in time. The griffons are barely coping with us right now and we are not even at a defensible position... When this war hits Canterlot, it's as good as over for them."

Dreamweaver Dreamweaver
He laughed. It was a deep rumble coming from his chest, reverberating through the air. "Oh, I'm quite sure I have nothing to be worried about. From how long I've known you, which is not long, mind you, but this just seems like something pathetic." He replied, and then began humming. "Though, I do have to say, I'm almost excited... do you think I'll be able to get a few of them myself? I'm curious what griffon tastes like." He licked his chops.

Dumbledoof Dumbledoof
"You'd like to fight on behalf of Equestria?" Luna said in surprise. She eyed the wolf over and then simply nodded her head. "... It's possible. You're a big target though, Gunnolf. Easily picked off by archers, and as far as I can tell you are not impervious to normal attacks. But the caverns at the base of the mountain would be big enough for you to fight alongside out troops. I could forge you armor... Something lightweight but strong..."

By this point she was mostly just mumbling to herself about various equations that would have to go into crafting this sort of armor.

Dreamweaver Dreamweaver
He nodded. "Well, of course I would. You've taken me in, why would I not?" He said, sounding mock offended by the insinuation. They'd probably have tried to kill him or enslave him if they had found him out in the wild, all things considered. The griffons didn't really seem like the type to leave well enough alone. He would have continued speaking, but noticed that Luna had just zoned out at that point. Rolling his eyes, he wound himself around her and just laid his head down at the paws, looking up at the moon.

"Let me know when you come out of your crafting coma." He chortled.

Dumbledoof Dumbledoof
Luna was like that for 20 minutes. Of course to an immortal, that wasn't even really a spec on the timeline.

And then just as suddenly as she had disappeared, she snapped back to reality. "Aha!" She exclaimed excitedly. "I think I could do it. With the right mixture of Lunar Steel, the hardest known metal, and Ironwood, we could do this. The lunar steel would be very thin, only millimeters at its thickest, and would be worn over Ironwood. Ironwood is a type of tree found out in the Everfree that acts as a very lightweight steel. It won't have the durability of pure Lunar Steel armor, but that's too much for any one creature. Not even I have all Lunar Steel armor. The Ironwood will be the protective undercoat, and the Lunar Steel will act as the main defense. Good mobility, good defense."

Dreamweaver Dreamweaver
Gunnolf raised his head back up when Luna finally came to. He did not understand a single word she just said - the only thing he could really glean out of that was a name for a tree, lunar steel was something 'hard,' and that it was apparently supposed to be combined to work as armor for him. The rest only ended up with him staring at her, an amused glint in his eyes. He nodded sagely at the end of it. Luna would obviously know he didn't understand any of that at all.

It was a damn good thing he had patience to rival Celestia. "Quite." He laughed. "That sounds delightful, even if I didn't get even half of it. Something about... er, a millipede, a tree, and something hard?" E for Effort.

Dumbledoof Dumbledoof
Luna just stared at him blankly and slowly shook her head. ".... Right, wolf. Not pony. I will start from the beginning."

She summoned one of her scimitars. It had a curved silver blade with flames engraved up the blade, a black hilt, small cross-guard and silver pommel with an inset ruby. "This is Dawnreaper. It is made of Lunar Steel. Lunar Steel is a type of metal found on the moon. It's incredibly hard... Hard enough that I would have difficulty breaking this blade with physical strength alone." She twirls the weapon for him and then lays it in front of him. "That is what the outer shell of the armor would be made of." she said.

Her horn flashed, and a small piece of what looked like brown metal appeared. Luna held it up, and bent it with her hoof. It gave a creaking groan as it was bent. "This is Ironwood. It's actually a naturally occurring Everfree plant, as opposed to real metal. It does, however, have metal-like properties. While not as hard as steel, and nowhere near as hard as Lunar Steel, it offers good protection at a fraction of the weight."

She tossed him that piece. It was about the size of her hoof and weighed next to nothing. It was far lighter than the scimitar, which weighed upwards of 12 pounds.

Dreamweaver Dreamweaver
He gave her another sage nod.

With that in mind, he did his best to follow along the demonstrations and what she was telling him. Lunar steel was a metal. It was apparently the 'hardest' metal there was... he didn't know the figures on how determining that was, but he didn't really need to. Best just take her word for it, her being more knowledgeable than he was in the subject. And apparently it would be difficult for her to break. That was a neat little tidbit.

Then there was the ironwood. Well, obviously to him, it was wood. He caught it in his jaws and chomped down on the little piece she gave him. It held under the force for a few moments, before it began to splinter and he spat it out, licking his fangs to get any little stuck pieces of wood out. "Well, good to know." He leaned down and sniffed the scimitar. "Something tells me I don't want to be cut by this. I can feel magic on it."

Dumbledoof Dumbledoof
Luna smirks and nods her head. "It's my baby." She says while picking up her scimitar and bringing it up straight in front of her. "It's one of a pair. The other is one I named Eclipse. Dawnreaper here is enchanted to burn those it cuts as well as linking their life force to Eclipse."

Pop goes her horn, and another scimitar appears. This one had the same shape, but the blade and hilt were a shining black color. In the pommel of this blade was some sort of sapphire. Up the blade was engravings of the different phases of the moon. "Eclipse in turn is enchanted in such a way as to inflict a quick acting poison as well freezing a spot when it cuts someone. In addition the enchantment from Dawnreaper feeds into Eclipse and allows Eclipse to feed me some of their life force when I cut them. It's like a horrifying little circle of vampirism."

Dreamweaver Dreamweaver
Dawnreaper and Eclipse, huh? He was going to refrain from making contact with either one of the swords. He was not about the life of being burned, frozen, and then having the life force sucked out of him by some inanimate object. There were just way too much things wrong with that scenario already.

"... Well, I'm sure they're both fantastic." He coughed. He shifted slightly away from the scimitars. "If for whatever reason I have to die from anything that isn't natural, just gut me slowly with a normal blade instead, please."

Dumbledoof Dumbledoof
"Oh they are fantastic. And they thank you for saying so." Luna said with a chuckle, looking over her blades once more before teleporting them away. That was sure to calm Gunnolf down. She could tell he was slightly uncomfortable around the blades, from the way he shifted away from them.

Dreamweaver Dreamweaver
Gunnolf did indeed relax once the blades were gone. He didn't know how to take the fact that Luna said they thanked him for it... Guess that meant he was accidentally rude to inanimate objects. That... Have a mind of their own. This was far too much for him to handle in a single night. Stupid magic.

"Well then," he cleared his throat. "That was... Interesting. I... Give them my apologies for not... Speaking directly... To them?" That sounded more like a question, he was quite unsure of what to do about that new bit of knowledge. "Dear, I'm not sure how much more my simple mind can handle. Sentient swords? Just..." He laid his head down, closing his eyes. "Excuse me while I try to understand how that works."

Dumbledoof Dumbledoof
Luna laughed aloud at Gunnolf's awkward attitude and simply nodded her head. "Yes Gunnolf, weapons can be sentient. The same way that your race, which likely evolved from regular wolves, is now sentient. Magic is a tricky and sometimes terrifying thing." She reached over to pat his head gently right behind the ear. Oh yes. "Besides, you don't have to worry about such things."

Dreamweaver Dreamweaver
Gunnolf would have mustered up a replied to her, but then she began to Pat him behind the ear and he pretty much melted at that point. It was his weakest point, unfortunately, and not one that was hard to reach until he stood up. "What... Worry?" He mumbled. "Never..."

Dumbledoof Dumbledoof
"You are just like any other dog, aren't you? You're big and scary until someone gets behind your ear." Luna said with a roll of her eyes and a slight smile. She scratched him there for a moment before pulling her hoof away and waving it towards the sky. A few of the stars bounced around, hitting each other in brilliant flashes of light and changing their positions in the sky. "Why are you out here anyway? Do you not sleep in the castle?"

Dreamweaver Dreamweaver
Gunnolf huffed in defiance, even if he was still like putty in her hooves at the moment. "I resent that. I am much better than a dog. I am a wolf! A big wolf! The biggest wolf there ever was!" He declared to the world around him. The world probably didn't care. He shrugged at her. "Not unless it's a particularly cold night... I prefer being able to sleep outside. I like listening to the sounds of the world. It's relaxing."

Dumbledoof Dumbledoof
"I suppose I understand that." Luna said while waving her hoof and knocking around a few more stars. "Especially since you grew up in the Everfree. It's hard to let go of something that's so close to you, isn't it? I spent a few months in the Astral Plane and I still feel a connection to that place, however faint. It must be strange for you to be inside, in safety, away from the sounds of nature."

Dreamweaver Dreamweaver
He glanced at her, not really able to say yes or no to that. "I wouldn't say it's strange, more like... I just find it uncomfortable, I suppose, trying to sleep anywhere else but outdoors. It just doesn't feel right for me, no matter how I try to persuade myself that it might be worth it." He shrugged shortly. "Outside is my home, wherever it is that I am. I almost feel like I'm a cage when I'm in the castle due to my size."

Dumbledoof Dumbledoof
"I suppose that makes sense." Luna said with a slight nod of her head. She could understand that he might feel caged, being as large as he was. Even with the size of the castle, it certainly wasn't made for a creature his size. Luna tapped a hoof on the ground before rising to her hooves and prodding at Gunnolf's shoulder. "Alright, come on. I'm going to take your measurements and start crafting that armor for you."

Luna's horn began to glow, and soon enough a small workshop appeared in front of them. It was simply a table with two shelves on the back. A variety of pens, pencils, paper, ink and other such things was on the shelves. She grabbed a piece of string from the table which had markings on it and held it up. "Are you ready? Hold out your leg. One at a time."

Dreamweaver Dreamweaver
He looked at her inquisitively. Unfortunately, he failed to realize on just what it would mean to get a set of armor for himself. The entire process could be extremely annoying, and especially considering his little more 'unique' body type, it wouldn't be something normal like what a pony would wear. So... time for armor fitting.

He followed her to the small workshop, trying his best to not accidentally bump into anything. When your paw was the size of a large kitchen table, that certainly made things difficult. At Luna's request, he held his left leg out for her. "Taking measurements? For the armor?" He asked rhetorically. "Alright... how long does this take?"

Dumbledoof Dumbledoof
"Were it some amateur? Probably around 5 hours. But I've done this a lot so probably only around 3. Don't worry, just stand right there!" She said cheerfully, before setting to work. Luna had a much different perception of time. She took the string and began to measure out his various body parts, starting with his legs. The string ran up the length of each leg, and then circled it at various points to get the thickness right. The string, a piece of paper and a quill and ink were all levitating beside her as she did this. Each little measurement she took, she marked it down on the paper.

After an hour, she had all four of his legs and his tail done. She already had a full page of measurements, she was VERY thorough, and she pulled away once she finished with his tail. "Alright! Take a break and stretch out, then I will get to the difficult part. Which is the head. Then onto the torso area!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back