• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy The Reliquary — ( Medieval SCP inspired )

Scaleless

Weewoo weewoo
The Reliquary
Ceaseless artifacts and maddening anomalies bespectacled the gilded rooms of the Reliquary. The great doors, with their elaborately carved panels and inlaid hinges, were flung open at approach; a light breeze stirred the creaking wicker shutters, and the clangorous murmurings of a thousand voices resounded from the vast vaulted spaces beyond. A knock at any door in the world, a phrase, and the right permissions were all that were required for entry.

Inlaid within its many corridors, alcoves, and galleries was an ever-changing pageant of art, antiques, and curiosities. Within you may find mad gods held into place by waxen hands, antique automatons brought to life, or tables laden with dead men's bones and skulls. Fanciful masks, hideous sculptures, fantastical relics—all these are here. And if any of these things should prove too much for your credulity, there is always the gift shop on the ground floor where you can purchase a souvenir as proof of visit.

The Reliquary’s Tracers are its foremost asset, for it is they that set out into our world to retrieve such anomalies so that they may not wreak havoc on the world beyond. It is only within the Reliquary—an anomaly in itself, that these things may be safely guarded. Among them are a diverse set of individuals, from ages new and old, ordinary and extraordinary, and even ASCs themselves. Human recruits are chosen by an unknown metric. They may have stepped into an inn, their own home, or a store’s door before they found themselves instead placed within the Reliquaries walls. It is from that moment that they are recruited. The Reliquary has many means of obtaining what it seeks: blackmail, extortion, threatening, or bribing—nothing is beneath it, when it comes to recruiting new Tracers. It always has a way of getting what it desires.

Anomalies are categorized by the danger they may inflict on the population.

The first level of danger posed by anomalous objects is termed 'Leliurium.’ These objects present no discernible threat to the world and can be safely ignored. They may be strange or peculiar, but they do not represent any sort of danger to the general population or any form of destruction to the environment. Its effects may be as simple as changing the color of a person's clothing.

The second level of danger is known as 'Spectra.’ These objects are potentially hazardous in some capacity, but their effects are limited in scope. If a Spectra anomalous object were to come into contact with the world, it would be unlikely to cause major destruction or inflict any lasting damage.

The third level is titled 'Lucifugous’. These objects are more dangerous than Minor objects, and their effects can be more widespread. They are capable of damaging property or even causing injury or death to people unlucky enough to be nearby.

The fourth level is known as 'Ternary.’ These objects are extremely hazardous, and their effects can blanket entire regions. They possess the potential to completely devastate an area, irrevocably changing the landscape, and potentially wiping out entire species.

The fifth and final level is labeled ‘Principalities.’ These objects are the most dangerous of all, and their effects can be global. They can cause catastrophic destruction, wreak havoc across the globe, and endanger all life on earth. Their effects can affect not only the surface of the planet but also the very fabric of space and time.

—————————
  • While anomalies or ASC (anomalous supernatural constructs) are the subjects of many a fantastical tale in the world, encountering one is extremely unlikely. Only 0.2% of humans will ever stand within 100 meters of an ASC and even less will interact with one.
  • The currency is called a Mark. It is a shiny, golden coin, with a complex and intricate design that features a graceful serpent coiling around a crest of two crossed swords. Its shimmering surface reflects the light, and its edges are smooth and curved. A week's worth of food would cost 500 Marks, whereas a house would cost around 150,000 Marks.
  • Other than ASCs there are no common fantasy races or creatures.
  • Each ASC is different. It can manifest in the form of an object, a creature, or a disease. The basis of each creation is also different: some just exist and always have, and one may have been created by an alchemist’s experiments or may have been born from a cult’s rituals. It could be a roving hairy cryptid—they exist as the plot demands.
  • The Earth’s geography and cultures are completely unrelated to the real world and will be better defined if there is sufficient interest.
  • Tracers have the option to get doped up to make their jobs easier. It makes them Increase in strength, age slower and heal faster. They may also rent ASCs in the form of a weapon, small familiar or device.

Last edited:
Interested, idea for a character: time traveling dr bright

Interested, idea for a character: time traveling dr bright
Time travel is very messy, but fun and I definitely imagined it coming up at some point! It shouldn’t be something they have access to all the time though. Like if they were displaced in time by a ASC and their main objective is to eventually find it and return I would be good with it.

I would also prefer they come from the past rather than the future as it would take a lot more planning otherwise—the character would technically have knowledge of future events and histories if they came from the future. It makes plot stuff hard to work with lmao. Unless you give ‘‘em a case of amnesia or something, I can work with that.

Soo the idea for a Templar/Paladin has been sitting in my head all day and it spawned a couple of questions:

What role do governments and people in power play? Are officials informed that ASCs actually exist or are they left in the dark with the other 99.8% of people? If they did know, are they allies to the reliquary? How would the reliquary handle a king trying to hold an ASC captive (if they couldn't just teleport it to the reliquary)?

Also, how well known is the reliquary in general? Is it well known enough that the lucky fellow who sets sight upon the inside will instantly recognize where they are because of the legends or does the reliquary minimize any traces of its existence in the general conscious?

Soo the idea for a Templar/Paladin has been sitting in my head all day and it spawned a couple of questions:

What role do governments and people in power play? Are officials informed that ASCs actually exist or are they left in the dark with the other 99.8% of people? If they did know, are they allies to the reliquary? How would the reliquary handle a king trying to hold an ASC captive (if they couldn't just teleport it to the reliquary)?

Also, how well known is the reliquary in general? Is it well known enough that the lucky fellow who sets sight upon the inside will instantly recognize where they are because of the legends or does the reliquary minimize any traces of its existence in the general conscious?
Interesting questions. Is this in regards to a backstory for the character you are thinking of building? I do not mind loosening the normal rules if it helps build a character! But, generally the Reliquary is very secretive. In cases where an individual finds out about their existence, there is a protocol in which their recent memory will be cleared. There is a ASC subtype that is mass produced from the body parts of another captive ASC that is given to all tracers, in the form of a ring—it has numerous functions, the foremost being memory wiping. A commoner who dedicated years to investigating may be able to glean some details about them, but their existence is far from common knowledge.

Anyone who steps in would likely be very confused. If it is your desire for a character to have some prior knowledge about it, that is fine as well.

In regards to governing bodies, they prefer no direct contact. Implementing puppets or brainwashed sleeper agents is more their style. A ruler or important figure who has a wide social net and ties to their kingdom’s people would be more likely to know about ASCs than normal folk. Stories, unexplainable events, but nothing of their true nature or how ASCs are classified by the reliquary. If that is an aspect of an idea for your paladin character—perhaps they catch on to strange things: like large lapses in their memory, recalling strange figures, decisions by their leaders that are out of character, and they decide to investigate and gain some knowledge that way.

Tracers, very experienced ones, would be trusted in recovering a ASC in such a delicate position (under possession of a king). The specifics are required to get into detail about what a proper mission plan would be, but the priority would be to recover it while reducing disruption to the kingdom.

Generally, I will work to fit in any ideas players have for their characters! Don’t worry too much about it, I welcome world-building or ideas from other people. There can always be 1 off exceptions if you want a king to have a closer relationship with the reliquary for the sake of a character idea.

I would ideally be a archer with expertise with siege weapons.

How do tracers typically get recruited?
They are pretty much kidnapped when they step through a doorway. For example, someone the reliquary wants is walking into an inn. The second they step through the door they instead find themselves within the reliquary. After that, their contract is unique to them. The simplest reason for joining is money. They start off by offering a very healthy salary. It can also be because they are plain curious. If you want something more unique than that you are free to explore it.

They are not the most moral. When they want someone to become a tracer, they pretty much have no choice. They can blackmail them by kidnapping a family member, only offer to cure a disease the recruit has only in exchange for their labor, put them in what would be the equivalent of a bomb collar. Many options for unwilling recruits lol.

The precise recruitment process will be more obvious when I write the full thread and you become familiar with its denizens and leaders.

So, given this line in your advert...

Among them are a diverse set of individuals, from ages new and old, ordinary and extraordinary, and even ASCs themselves.

My question is: Can we be a non-human character?

The Reliquary
Ceaseless artifacts and maddening anomalies bespectacled the gilded rooms of the Reliquary. The great doors, with their elaborately carved panels and inlaid hinges, were flung open at approach; a light breeze stirred the creaking wicker shutters, and the clangorous murmurings of a thousand voices resounded from the vast vaulted spaces beyond. A knock at any door in the world, a phrase, and the right permissions were all that were required for entry.

Inlaid within its many corridors, alcoves, and galleries was an ever-changing pageant of art, antiques, and curiosities. Within you may find mad gods held into place by waxen hands, antique automatons brought to life, or tables laden with dead men's bones and skulls. Fanciful masks, hideous sculptures, fantastical relics—all these are here. And if any of these things should prove too much for your credulity, there is always the gift shop on the ground floor where you can purchase a souvenir as proof of visit.

The Reliquary’s Tracers are its foremost asset, for it is they that set out into our world to retrieve such anomalies so that they may not wreak havoc on the world beyond. It is only within the Reliquary—an anomaly in itself, that these things may be safely guarded. Among them are a diverse set of individuals, from ages new and old, ordinary and extraordinary, and even ASCs themselves. Human recruits are chosen by an unknown metric. They may have stepped into an inn, their own home, or a store’s door before they found themselves instead placed within the Reliquaries walls. It is from that moment that they are recruited. The Reliquary has many means of obtaining what it seeks: blackmail, extortion, threatening, or bribing—nothing is beneath it, when it comes to recruiting new Tracers. It always has a way of getting what it desires.

Anomalies are categorized by the danger they may inflict on the population.

The first level of danger posed by anomalous objects is termed 'Leliurium.’ These objects present no discernible threat to the world and can be safely ignored. They may be strange or peculiar, but they do not represent any sort of danger to the general population or any form of destruction to the environment. Its effects may be as simple as changing the color of a person's clothing.

The second level of danger is known as 'Spectra.’ These objects are potentially hazardous in some capacity, but their effects are limited in scope. If a Spectra anomalous object were to come into contact with the world, it would be unlikely to cause major destruction or inflict any lasting damage.

The third level is titled 'Lucifugous’. These objects are more dangerous than Minor objects, and their effects can be more widespread. They are capable of damaging property or even causing injury or death to people unlucky enough to be nearby.

The fourth level is known as 'Ternary.’ These objects are extremely hazardous, and their effects can blanket entire regions. They possess the potential to completely devastate an area, irrevocably changing the landscape, and potentially wiping out entire species.

The fifth and final level is labeled ‘Principalities.’ These objects are the most dangerous of all, and their effects can be global. They can cause catastrophic destruction, wreak havoc across the globe, and endanger all life on earth. Their effects can affect not only the surface of the planet but also the very fabric of space and time.

—————————
  • While anomalies or ASC (anomalous supernatural constructs) are the subjects of many a fantastical tale in the world, encountering one is extremely unlikely. Only 0.2% of humans will ever stand within 100 meters of an ASC and even less will interact with one.
  • The currency is called a Mark. It is a shiny, golden coin, with a complex and intricate design that features a graceful serpent coiling around a crest of two crossed swords. Its shimmering surface reflects the light, and its edges are smooth and curved. A week's worth of food would cost 500 Marks, whereas a house would cost around 150,000 Marks.
  • Other than ASCs there are no common fantasy races or creatures.
  • Each ASC is different. It can manifest in the form of an object, a creature, or a disease. The basis of each creation is also different: some just exist and always have, and one may have been created by an alchemist’s experiments or may have been born from a cult’s rituals. It could be a roving hairy cryptid—they exist as the plot demands.
  • The Earth’s geography and cultures are completely unrelated to the real world and will be better defined if there is sufficient interest.
  • Tracers have the option to get doped up to make their jobs easier. It makes them Increase in strength, age slower and heal faster. They may also rent ASCs in the form of a weapon, small familiar or device.
Definitely interested! On top of SCP, it gives off The Librarians vibes as well.

I do wonder, though, if this takes place on Earth, or if it’s in a fantasy setting? Your wording was a bit vague, and I’m confused on those aspects

So, given this line in your advert...

Among them are a diverse set of individuals, from ages new and old, ordinary and extraordinary, and even ASCs themselves.

My question is: Can we be a non-human character?
Precisely! The exact details of which will be outlined, but their contracts will be a bit different than human tracers.

Definitely interested! On top of SCP, it gives off The Librarians vibes as well.

I do wonder, though, if this takes place on Earth, or if it’s in a fantasy setting? Your wording was a bit vague, and I’m confused on those aspects
Glad you like it! I’m not familiar with The Librarians though. I gotta check it out then.

Sorry for the confusion, but yes, a fantasy setting. I’ve started working out the precise details of which here:

Interesting questions. Is this in regards to a backstory for the character you are thinking of building? I do not mind loosening the normal rules if it helps build a character! But, generally the Reliquary is very secretive. In cases where an individual finds out about their existence, there is a protocol in which their recent memory will be cleared. There is a ASC subtype that is mass produced from the body parts of another captive ASC that is given to all tracers, in the form of a ring—it has numerous functions, the foremost being memory wiping. A commoner who dedicated years to investigating may be able to glean some details about them, but their existence is far from common knowledge.

Anyone who steps in would likely be very confused. If it is your desire for a character to have some prior knowledge about it, that is fine as well.

In regards to governing bodies, they prefer no direct contact. Implementing puppets or brainwashed sleeper agents is more their style. A ruler or important figure who has a wide social net and ties to their kingdom’s people would be more likely to know about ASCs than normal folk. Stories, unexplainable events, but nothing of their true nature or how ASCs are classified by the reliquary. If that is an aspect of an idea for your paladin character—perhaps they catch on to strange things: like large lapses in their memory, recalling strange figures, decisions by their leaders that are out of character, and they decide to investigate and gain some knowledge that way.

Tracers, very experienced ones, would be trusted in recovering a ASC in such a delicate position (under possession of a king). The specifics are required to get into detail about what a proper mission plan would be, but the priority would be to recover it while reducing disruption to the kingdom.

Generally, I will work to fit in any ideas players have for their characters! Don’t worry too much about it, I welcome world-building or ideas from other people. There can always be 1 off exceptions if you want a king to have a closer relationship with the reliquary for the sake of a character idea.

Those scenerios were more theoretical if anything- I just knew that paladins are usually associated with a bigger body of sorts and I was also hoping that asking would help me figure out whether to play a regular human tracer or an ASC possessing armor, but I haven't come up with much backstory yet. Thank you for answering though! I'll take everything into account when I build him.

I would pretty much be an artificer from D&D

I would pretty much be an artificer from D&D
20221212_195053.gif

Quick question; what's the limits on character creation. As in age, physical specifications n such

Quick question; what's the limits on character creation. As in age, physical specifications n such
Hmm. Can you be more specific? You can just tell me explicitly what you have in mind and I can check it off. I’m open to most ideas.

Here is the thread for any future interested parties.

Hmm. Can you be more specific? You can just tell me explicitly what you have in mind and I can check it off. I’m open to most ideas.

Here is the thread for any future interested parties.
I'll DM it to you so I don't clutter up the thread if I end up not joining ^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back