• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

The Reign of Gods

Imperial Palace, Metropolis Orbis, 10 June, 2051

The Emperor nodded, then check the large clock standing by the wall.

"Well, they should be expecting us back at the Great Hall for the banquet. You can enjoy some Imperial food again, and not whatever they serve down south."

"Well, as long as it isn't spicy, I should enjoy it."

The Prince gave a half smile, then began to walk back to the Great Hall with his brother.

The Ministers, Grand Vizier, and Empress Dowager were waiting for the two brothers. The Minister of Foreign Affairs was discussing his recent visit abroad to Hungary.

"...as important as the new European Federation is, the French and Germans are playing catch-up to our Hungarian friends. Bako--for all his faults--has truly grasped populism not seen in Europe since the 1940s."

"I've heard him called the new Mussolini" Grand Vizier Drake put in. "Though that's not a good thing, I suppose it is better than a new Hitler."

"Still a terrible person." The Empress Dowager added. "I've heard rumors that he want's to exterminate some parts of the population."

"Tragic." Emilia added. Just as she said it, the Emperor and her husband entered. Everyone stood and bowed. "Your Majesties."

Achilles gave them all a smile. "Hello once again everyone. I'll say, it was great to see the Palace again."

The Emperor sat at the large chair at the end of the table, his brother sitting to his right, and next to him the Princess Emilia. Across from the Princess Clarke sat.

"Yes," he continued, "the criticisms are perhaps warranted, but he is a major opponent to Moscow and is willing has supported our regime. Napoleon understood this."

"I assume then we're talking about the Hungarian." Achilles began. "He's for sure a valuable ally to have against the Eurasians. I would prefer we had an ally more...safe, but for now, he serves his purpose."

"Certainly, Your Highness." Tanner said. "His forces are the only ones to have defeated this Eurasian Federation--although they had the benefit of using our weapons. Which reminds me, Prince Achilles, after dinner we need to talk about the campaign."

"That can wait," the Minister of the Media said with a smile,"after all, tonight is all about family and image."

Emilia smiled. "Yes, let's not talk war and politics here." She took a sip of wine. "This is excellent wine. Tell me your majesty, where is it from? Sadly, we don't get this good of stuff down south."

Achilles smiled and sipped the wine as well. He had actually hoped to discuss the war. He was more comfortable talking battle and strategy then small talk. He supposed he could let Emilia do the talking though. He didn't have to say much.

The boy looked at one of his Ministers. He had look learned to defer mundane tasks--and questions--to them. Tanner took the initiative.

"They are from grapes grown in California's Napa valley," he explained. "His Majesty Napoleon loved the region and the viticulture there, and thus most of our wine comes from there. Of course, he was also a fan of cider, and apples from Michigan were brought in to satisfy that desire," he said with a chuckle.

"Well, if it is anywhere near as good as this wine, I'll be sure to have to try it sometime." Emilia smiled and turned to Achilles. "What do you think? I think we need to go out East sometime. I've never been out that way."

Achilles simply nodded. "We can go out east sometime."

"If you ever have free time that is. Running a dominion as large as Mexico must make it hard to travel." His mother put in.

"Aye, I suppose it does." Achilles said, sounding rather bitter. He took a sip of the wine and the room fell silent.

When dinner was over, the Minister of War again approached the Prince.

"Let's go to my office, Achilles. We can talk in comfort there."

"Of course Minister Tanner. I had been hoping to get to speak to you sometime." He turned to his wife. "I'll be in the room in a few minutes."

Emilia nodded and went off to their room. Achilles turned back to Tanner. "Shall we?" He motioned for the Minister to lead the way to his office. It wasn't a long walk to the Minister's office. When they arrived, Achilles closed the door.

Tanner sat down and poured two glasses of whisky.

"Your Father wasn't much of a liquor man, but for me, well, old habits die hard. Anyway, I wanted to discuss the current scenario with you. How close are you to removing Rojas' forces?"

"Unfortunately, it's still going to take a while. Before I came here, we thought we had him. We had a reliable source telling us where he was. We followed it, and he wasn't there. We lost two of our men...and the source has gone missing.That was in southern Colombia. So it's possible he's slipped across the border, into the Amazon." He sighed. "It feels as if all we've been doing is chasing our tails."

The Minister nodded as he sipped his drink

"Well, perhaps we can kill two birds with one stone. Your Uncle Mustafa has secured permission from the South American government to send a full Army into their territory if necessary. You'll take command of the new Third Army, effective immediately, and cross into the Amazon. You may use whatever means necessary to remove Rojas."

Achilles sipped his drink. "I'm not sure if I trust some of these South American countries. I trust Brazil, and Colombia fine enough, but the rest." He paused. "Whenever our team got close to finding him, he always found a way to slip past us. I'm worried they might be hiding him from us." He took another sip of the whisky. "And of course Estevez has done nothing to get Argentina involved in the campaign. I don't think he is an ally of Rojas, but still. I'm not sure how much their help will help us."

"Your intuition is probably correct, Achilles, which is why I'm giving you a full Army instead of your usual Corps you've been commanding thus far."

He paused to drink.

"It's the opinion of the Council that South America is too volatile and unstable under Estevez. It's time we began moving towards full annexation, starting with this Rojas business."

"It's what father would have wanted." He sighed. "Should we really go for it though? While it would strengthen our position worldwide, it's still too dangerous. Rojas already has the support of many people. There is a strong anti Imperial sentiment down there. Annexation might just put us into full blown war with the people."

"It wouldn't be an outright and obvious annexation, of course," Tanner said. "We already have confirmation from the Presidents of Colombia, Venezuela, and Brazil--of course they would all be made Princes and receive large pensions to return for their support. Most of their Legislators can be bought off, or replaced with people whose loyalty is not in question. The biggest obstacle right now is eliminating Rojas' guerillas."

He took out a map of South America and placed pins to represent their forces.

"For now, we'll move the IX Corps into Colombia, X into Venezuela, and begin pushing into Brazil with the XI. We can't rely on the local South Americans to fight against their own people, for obvious reasons. I'll talk to Smith and bring some Black Ops units in, to better our search. Again, we'll kill two birds. Once Rojas is removed, it's only a formality to annex the nations."

The Prince laughed. "Are our friends so corrupt?" He sighed. "Sir, I'd highly advise you stay here and not go down South. Even with Smith at your side, it's still far too dangerous. We can't afford to lose you."

Achilles paused.

"And you're the only one here who can properly live out Father's dream. You're the only one who knows what he would have wanted. Drake is a good man, but he's weak. He is too fond of my brother. And Clarke. Well, the man's ambitious. Who knows what he could do to us. We need you here. I'll take care of Rojas."

Tanner considered the Prince's words.

"All right, I'll give you command of the Third, but expect a visit from me after the Gala."

"Of course. Thank you Minister. I'm glad you understand why I need you here."

Tanner nodded, then checked his watch.

"Well, the hour is getting late, and I don't want to hold you up from your wife for too long. Anyway, I'll see you at the Gala in a few days. Until then, try to enjoy the city, and the State Press." He smiled at that. Bernstein always knew what to give the masses, and how to please the Imperial establishment

Achilles gave Tanner a smile and walked out. On his way to his room, he passed by a painting of his father. He stopped and looked at the painting. It was from his later days, though those how had seen the Emperor then wouldn't have been able to tell it. In the portrait, Napoleon looked as grand and powerful as ever. His hair only slightly gray, and his face free of any wrinkles or war damages. Achilles thought back to those last few months. His father had looked so very sickly. His hair had been falling out, and he looked like someone more than half his age. It had been hard for many when his father had fallen sick. His appearances in public had stopped, and Bernstein had to employ the best people to make him look good for televised appearances. Many wept when he had died. Many others celebrated. Achilles didn't show any emotions when he had found out. He had heard about it on the news down in Mexico. They couldn't have even bothered to tell him in person. Why should the shame of the Empire be left in the know?

He clenched his fists as he thought about those months. Everything that had happened and put him in this situation. He felt the urge to hit something come over him. The longer he stood there, the angrier he got. Finally, after taking a few deep breathes, the Prince calmed himself. He looked around, and then walked away.

When he got to the bedroom, he found Emilia already in bed, looking at her tablet. When he entered, she looked up.

"Are you okay?" She asked as her husband walked towards the bed. He said nothing as he approached. When he got to the bed, he undressed himself and fell in beside her. He laid his head on her shoulder.

"This city smells like shit."

"Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks so." That made Achilles laugh slightly. He looked up and kissed his wife.

Imperial Palace, Metropolis Orbis, 20 June, 2051

The day of the Gala was soon upon the Imperial Capital. Delegates from every Prefect had arrived, as well as foreigners from most of the world's nations. Most importantly were the British, Japanese, and Hungarian Delegations. This was the Hungarian Dictator's first official visit abroad--not counting the nations he overtook in war, that is. However, delegates from the various Imperial-backed South American nations were given important seats of honour at the Gala--in no small part a result of the wars going on.

Minister Bernstein was having a field day. This was his chance to prove to the world that the Imperial Capital truly was the Mother City of Earth

Users who are viewing this thread

Back