• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

The Reign of Gods

Imperial Airport, Metropolis Orbis, 10 June, 2051

"Your mother is there. That's good."

The Prince nodded. He was rather surprised to see that she had decided to meet him there. His mother hadn't exactly tried to reach out to him, since he took the position of Viceroy. He wondered what she was going to say when he stepped off the plane.

"Let me see that." He took the pad from his wife. He could see the welcome party through a live feed. A large honor guard had gathered to meet him. Along with his mother were the members of Council of Ministers. Oddly though, the Grand Vizier wasn't there. Nor was his brother there. But still, it was a larger group then he had expected.

When the plane touched down, stairs were brought over to help the group down. Along with Prince Achilles was his wife, Princess Emilia, and several of their personal body guards. As they waited for the door to open, Emilia leaned towards her husband and whispered into his ear.

"Try to look happy. There are members of the press here after all."

Achilles sighed, then turned to his wife and smiled. And as soon as his wife turned away from him, the door opened.

The Empress Dowager Catherine watched the plane door open. For the first time in several years, she was able to look upon her son. He wore his gray officer's uniform with black riding boots. He held his cap in his hand, showing off his dark brown hair. Standing next to him was Princess Emilia, wearing a purple skirt and jacket over a white blouse. She had to continually hold back her long, black hair from getting in her husband's face. The two were smiling, a rare thing for her son to do. They waved to the crowd that had gathered to see them, and then began the walk down. When they got to the group, they both bowed to her. She smiled.

"Achilles." She said before she took him in her arms. It would look better for the press. "It's been too long." She turned to Emilia. "And you as well. How has your father been? I haven't spoken with him in ages."

"He is doing quite well thank you. I'll be sure to tell him that you asked about him, your majesty."

Achilles turned to the Ministers and began to shake their hands.

"Gentlemen, thank you for this opportunity to come home. It's an honor to get to see you all again." He was of course lying. He hated almost every single one of them. They were all slimy bastards he had thought. None of them had any real loyalty to anything but themselves. And they had all just stood back as his father had appointed Alexandre as his heir. All except for Minister Tanner, the only one Achilles thought he could trust, the only one to have said anything about his father's mistake.

Mustafa Clarke stepped forward. Being a shrewd diplomat and negotiator, he was often the once chosen to speak on tense matters, appointed by the Council for that purpose. Plus, he was Achilles and Alexandre's uncle, so it was thought he had some influence with the two. He bowed to Achilles.

"Your Excellency, it is an honour for you to return to the place of your birth, and for such an august occasion. We pray your trip was well, and that the war has not troubled you much."

Uncle Mustafa Clarke, one of the absolute worst of the Ministers, Achilles thought. His uncle had never seemed quite right to Achilles. Even from a young age, the Prince knew that Mustafa was not someone to be trusted. His smile always seemed to be hiding some sort of secret. In his eyes, Achilles only saw laughter. How his father had ever trusted a man like this, Achilles could never know. Had he become Emperor...Well, he supposed his uncle did have his uses. Had it not been for Uncle Mustafa, the Eurasians might have destroyed the Empire, Japan might be trying to take the pacific islands, and the British would most certainly have turned their back on the Americas. So, he supposed he could always give the man some gratitude.

"Well Uncle, it'll be nice to sleep in a real bed again. The army camps aren't quite suited for a good nights sleep." He lowered his voice. "And it'll be nice to be with my wife once again." He gave a small laugh. "I suppose my brother is waiting for me at the palace? Shall we get going?"

The Prince smiled as he gestured to a series of black Rolls-Royce Phantoms.

"Yes, His Imperial and Royal Majesty will be most pleased to see you, Your Highness." The Ministers and their attendants began filing into the cars. One was left solely for the Empress, the Viceroy and his wife, and Clarke. The Minister opened the door for the three to enter and sat next to his sister when they had all entered.

When the car doors closed, Achilles put his head back. He had barely slept on the plane. And the head rests in the car felt like heaven. He closed his eyes for a moment, until the car began to move. Then he opened his eyes and looked to his mother and uncle.

"So, shall I be staying in my old room, or do I get the luxury of the visitors suit?"

"Your old room has been renivated to suit your needs." His mother began. "You'll find it to be a bit different then when you left it." She paused. "Of course, we also have a separate room ready for Emilia, should you want it."

The Prince narrowed his eyes. "No, mother. We shall be staying in the same room."

"Alright, if you insist." The Empress Dowager sat back.An awkward silence filled the car for a moment. It was only broken when Emilia spoke up.

"Minister Clarke, I was wondering, who exactly should we expect to see at the gala? I suppose many of the lords and nobles from the Empire, but what about foreign guests?"

The Minister leaned forward.

"His Excellency Prime Minister Kelly will be in attendance; His Eminence the Grand Vizier secured his arrival. Along with the British delegation will be His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales. Prince George is looking forward to seeing you again, Achilles, I should add. I spoke with him on the phone today. A few delegates from Europe should also be in attendance. His Excellency Viktor Bako will make a rare appearance; he almost never leaves Hungary, you know. Moreover, His Imperial Majesty Emperor Hisahito will be making the trip."

"The Emperor of Japan, and the leader of Hungary. Probably not the bet people to be associated with." Achilles thought. He remembered meeting the Japanese Emperor once. Emperor Hisahito had come off as a pleasant enough person. He was quiet, refined, and would occasionally make jokes. He always seemed warm around friends. But Achilles had also heard stories of what Japan had become. An ultraconservative nation of Emperor worshiping fanatics. Bent on bringing back what he had called "The glory days" of Japan, the Emperor had overseen a huge shift in Japanese society. Western influence had been all but cut from the country, and traditional Japanese culture had seen a resurgence. Media was heavily regulated by the ruling Rising Sun Party. Anything that could be seen as riduculing the Emperor or the party was quickly censored. And political opponents were rarely ever heard from. And recently, Japan had been looking to expand its influence in East Asia and the Pacific. Japan had become the most important trade partner to many nations in South East Asia. In India, Japan has been lending support to the National Unity Council in it's fight to re-unite the war torn nation under one government. China and North Korea have tried to shut themselves off from Japan, while South Korea, without any outside help, has fallen under the Empire's influence. But, most importantly, Japan had seen to it that Eurasian influence in Asia and the Pacific had been halted, and that made Japan a valuable friend to the Imperial Republic.

Viktor Bako on the other hand, was a different person. Though he and Hisahito agreed on a lot of political matters, the two couldn't have been more different personally. Where as Hisahito was quiet and refined, Bako had a loud, and commanding presence. His great speeches riled up anyone who listened. He constantly wore a military uniform, decorated in many medals, most of which were honors and decorations he himself had made up. And his piercing blue eyes seemed to stare directly into the souls of those around him. Achilles had never met Bako, and he had hoped he would never have to. But it appeared as if he was going to have to meet two of the most terrible men on the planet. And along with his Uncle, he was just one short of what Achilles called, the Four Horsemen. Though, the fourth horsemen most likely would not have been given an invitation. The President of Eurasia didn't have much respect within the Empire.

Metropolis Orbis, 10 June, 2051

Clark could tell his nephew was thinking about the guests.

"Yes, it should be a well received public event. Minister Bernstein will make sure the public and the world abroad will recognise the importance of it. And with your return to the Capital, it should show our solidarity."

"I hope so. I'd hate to be on the wrong end of either of those two."

Soon, they arrived at the Imperial Palace.

"Home sweet home." The Prince said as he and his wife stepped out of the car.

Clarke stepped out and took a moment to appreciate his home.

The First Emperor was very clear on how he wanted the Capital to be. Clarke thought at the time, way back in 2030, that Napoleon was crazy, but now the Minister of Foreign Affairs realised the very design of the City and Palace were deliberate attempts to show what this new America stood for.

For one, only the centre of the city was "planned": the rest rest was designed on an ad hoc basis. This was not because Napoleon didn't care, but because the Capitals of the Old World were created in a similar ad hoc way. Of course, the rest of the buildings had to follow certain regulations, namely, the primary architecture of what would later be Metropolis Orbis--literally Mother City of the World--was art deco, with some exception for pure Greco-Roman designs for the Palaces of Senators, Lords, and other dignitaries.

Yet the centre of the City was the true marvel of the Imperial Republic. A massive square, insulated by a three story concrete and marble finished wall. At the southern most section the wall opened at a massive triumphal arch, 100 metres tall, 90 metres wide, and 44 metres deep. Stranding the arch was a bronze statue of a Phoenix. The Avenue of Saint Napoleon--posthumously named of course in one of Emperor Alexandre's first acts--stretched from the arch to the Palace of Parliament, the massive dome where the House of Lords and the Senate dictated the Imperial Republic's laws. The avenue was lined with cedars, which Napoleon insisted upon. Situated just behind the Palace of Parliament was a massive reflecting pool, separating Parliament and the Imperial Palace.

The Imperial Palace was the true heart of the City. Unlike the rest of the City's art deco style, the Emperor's Palace was gothic--pointy and filled with arches, buttresses, and stained glass. Whereas the dome of Parliament reached 450 metres (if the Gold Phoenix on top of it counted), the Emperor's Palace's tallest spire soared over the City at over 800 metres. The gothic building was Napoleon's love letter to what he valued most: tradition, romanticism, conservatism, and Catholicism.

Waiting outside the Palace for the entourage was the Palace's Major Domo. He bowed before Achilles.

"Your Excellency," he said, choosing to address the Prince not with his Royal title of Highness, but with his civic title--a deliberate move most made. "Welcome home."

Imperial Palace, Metropolis Orbis, 10 June, 2051

Achilles raised an eyebrow at the Major Domo. He didn't say anything about his use of the wrong title. Though, it did give him some indication on how he'd be treated.

"Thank you Major. I assume my brother is waiting for us?"

Emilia stared up at the Palace. This was her first time seeing it in person. She had seen it on the news, and heard Achilles talk about it, but she had never given it much thought. It was an imposing structure, surely meant to intimidate any who came by it. And as she drew closer to it, she thought she could almost feel Emperor Napoleon's presence.

The Major Domo and guards led the group into the Palace itself. The Palace entrance was along corridor leading to a grand staircase. The corrior itself was lined with stained-glass windows with a ribbed vault ceiling-- the Palace and odd church-like feel. The Major Domo addressed the Viceroy's wife.

"His Imperial Majesty, may God rest his soul, had these windows ordered from the finest artists from across the world. They depict various scenes; some Biblical, others from his own rise to power."

She looked up at the windows. One of them showed the Emperor atop a white horse. The Imperial banner held in his hand. People were bowing before him. In the background, his armies stood behind him, having finished laying waste to the city. Atop one of the building flew the old Mexican flag.

"My father told me about this day. The day the Empire was born he called it. Many others I knew called it the Apocalypse. My father was one of the smart ones, or else I would not be here. He said that on this day, the pain and suffering of a people was ended, and a new age began." Though she left out the part where her father said that thousands were slaughtered during the battle, and that their pain and suffering ended not from the Emperor, but through his slugs.

Tanner looked at the image with a sense of pride.

"Yes, many died, but many more lived. The speed and ferocity we attacked with ensured that the war was over in weeks. Plus, have we not ended the power of the cartels? Did we not end almost a decade of civil war? Did we not rebuild the infrastructure of Mexico, and improve the standard of living? With the help of the proud Mexica, together in arms, we built an Empire. Tenochtitlan is again the name for the Mexica's Capital, as it should have been."

The other Ministers nodded in agreement. Had they not done the humane thing?

Clarke, of course, understood not all Mexicans thought as the elites did. It took several years of guerilla fighting to completely pacify the region--and yes, they had been forced to use unsavoury tactics. However, no one could deny the clemency Napoleon brought. Many former opponents of the Empire began leading members of the newly created Kingdom of the Mexica.

In any event, it wasn't long before they walked up the grand staircase and were led to the Grand Ball Room, where the Emperor and Grand Vizier were waiting with some guards. The Ministers dutifully bowed

Prince Achilles, his wife, his mother, and everyone else bowed as well.

"The Emperor of the Imperial Republic of America" Achilles began "and my brother." He stood. "It has been too long your majesty."

The Emperor gave a short nod of his head.

"Your Excellency, we pray you are well. Tell me, how goes the campaign?"

There it was again, thought Achilles. "Your Excellency". Not even his brother would honor him with his true title.

"When I was pulled out of the field, we had been on the trail of Rojos. We believed he was hold up in a town in Southern Colombia. However, after an assault against his men, we found he was not there. Though it is my belief that we are narrowing in on him."

Matters such as these bored the Emperor. Alexandre understood it was important, but was content with letting others managing them.

"Very well. Come, brother, we have not seen you in many moons--not since our esteemed Father passed. We wish to speak alone with you, as we used to."

"As you wish, your majesty." He turned to Emilia. "I'm sure they will not request you for these talks."

"I didn't expect to have to join you."

"Alright. I'll see in a little while then. Until then, enjoy my old home." He turned from her and walked towards the Emperor and the Grand Vizier.

Alexandre took his brother into the Emperor's Study. The large room was lined with bookshelves, covering every subject. Quite apart from the Palace Library--which contained the largest collection of books and scrolls in the world--this was still an impressive library. The room was once their Father's study, and his mark was still upon it. A massive desk sat in the centre of the room, with a large stained glass window depicting Napoleon's Coronation. Alexandre closed the heavy oak door as two guards stood aside. He sat at the desk.

"You know I hate the formalities of the Court, but as brothers, we have to be even more formal. Tell me truthfully how you are, Achilles" The boy's words were of sincerity

Achilles almost gave a sigh of relief. It was so good to hear his brother's voice again. Not the voice of the Emperor, but of his younger brother. Though still, he could feel the strained relationship around him. A part of him still resented his brother for being give the crown.

"I'm fine Alex. Though I must admit, I was a bit worried when I was asked to come here. I wasn't sure how the press would react...or mother for that matter. But, I suppose this still beats the Amazon."

The boy gave a wave of indifference.

"I've been to Bernstein's meetings. The media will make it look good. Drake also said that it was so the rest of the world would look at us better." He paused, drumming his hands on his desk--on his father's desk.

"They said there are rumours about you, Achilles, and they weren't talking about why you were disinherited. Darker rumours."

Achilles remained silent for a second. Had his brother not been told what happened? He must have heard some rumors about it. Though to what extent, Achilles couldn't say.

"I've been dealing with these rumors my entire life. Though I can say that they are not true. None of those rumors have ever been true. What happened between me and father was...something else. Something that's hard to describe."

The Emperor appeared satisfied with Achilles answer.

"Anyway, tell me about Tenochtitlan. I heard they began rebuilding it in the Aztec style. Is it as elegant as Father wanted it to be?" Even if he didn't share his father's love for history and strategy, he did share Napoleon's love of architecture, art, and literature.

"It is getting there. There is still much work to be done. Many people in Mexico are still not pleased with the idea. It's made work a little difficult. Though I am sure that if you ever come and visit us, you will love it."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back