• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy The Order of Seven - Shadow Archives

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Margaret Bowles

tumblr_nrfuc2N5Kr1rjn473o1_500.gif

Location Paris HQ | Alchemy/Chem Lab
Time IN CURRENT - thread, night of salon exposition
CompanyMichael
Tags Naberius Naberius
She guffawed, a narrow eyed glare placed to the demon. Perhaps he didn't intentionally know the impact of mentioning vampires, but it still stunned her nonetheless.

"Never. The idea is that of foolish grandeur, and nothing else," she snapped. "I would never want to be a vampire, not even if it would be entertain the fantasy of some future that may not be guaranteed, as you say. While our peers show that there is some... dignity in vampirism, I have seen the ugly side of it, and I would never want to be imprisoned in my own body like that." Maggie gave a haughty laugh, though the annoyance in her face was apparent. She did not judge, not beyond initial reactions, Krishna or Lilith. But in her heart, she was averted to the idea of the unnatural. It was a growing subject to her, having only been thrust into this upside-down world a year and a half ago, and she still managed to keep her reservations and fears.

"Chemistry is a very natural, impressionable thing. It's enough for me," she finished with a frown, looking down to the arrangement of ornaments and materials he'd slapped upon the work bench. She resumed her typical pose, judging in all expressions, with a tilt of her nose up.

"Do you tinker often, then? Or is this a one-time thing when you want to gas out an entire building, just for fun," she said with a flippant wave of her hand. She felt herself relax a bit, mostly in that hurting a demon's feelings was the furthest thing she could do. People getting messy and mean, dealing with their very human emotions, would leave Maggie in a frustrated and awkward situation. Despite being in a place she trusted, she'd feel betrayed by her own ineptitude. Demons, on the other hand... creatures, and nothing more. She wondered what fire and brimstone existed beneath Michael's smooth skin. Probably more than twelve pots of it.

"Though I have to wonder-- as a demon, do you find yourself curious to human inventions? What with chemistry, biology; the works. I'm sure you have more things to think about, like damning future children to an eternity of disappointment. It's the most you can do, anyway." It was fun to the woman to poke the sleeping bear, in a sense. He could do no harm, and much like a scientist prodding a strapped in monkey, she could delight in pushing a few buttons. Being uncomfortable made Margaret freeze, but making others uncomfortable-- within her control-- was like an elegant dance.

Last edited:
Time: Night of the first investigation
Characters: Michael, Margaret

Michael listened to her prattle on, smiling at her aversion to the vampires and storing that particular bit of information away for later. She certainly seemed like she had history with them, and perhaps he could use that against her some day when she actually managed to irritate him. As it was now, he tolerated her existence. Barely. If only because it meant he could torture her at a later date, getting to know her secrets and fears first was always key.

"I've been known to dabble in whatever might satiate my boredom. Can't exactly go crucifying people anymore like the good old days, so I've had to pick up other hobbies. This is just me being bored and trying to fix that without straining the oaths too much. As for gasping the building, if I truly wanted to there's little you could do to stop me."

His smirk grew more fierce and sharklike the more she talked. It was very clear that she felt at ease in his presence, if only because she was aware that he couldn't directly or knowingly cause her harm or kill her. Unfortunately for her, he couldn't allow that comfort to keep up for long. She should be informed about a fair few things just to keep her watching over her shoulder.

"Feeling relaxed around a demon and thinking even one like myself is harmless is the epitome of idiocy. For starters, not only do your words have absolutely no effect on me in the slightest, other than me finding it mildly amusing that you truly think you're safe."

He went to smiling easily, but there was a malicious undertone to the expression. A monster waiting just beneath a placid lake.

"You're even more of a fool than I took you for if you think I can't snuf out your pathetic existence in some way if I actually cared to do so. As for your human inventions and advances, the only thing your species has ever done that's actually impressive is find new ways to slaughter yourselves in increasingly large numbers. I do so look forward to a day when you figure out how to wipe out thousands of your own kind with the wave of a hand. Should be fun to watch. I wonder if it will be pretty? Aside from that, the food is okay too. I absolutely hate giving you vermin credit for anything, but some of the dishes you create aren't awful."

BELIAL. BELIAL.

Margaret Bowles

CompanyMichael
Tags Naberius Naberius
She kept a level gaze to the demon, taking his words to heart and letting them process. Although she and the team were safe from any physical harm by the demon, he was correct in trying to instill fear in her. Anticipation for some indefinite future, perhaps when she would already be screaming in the pits of hell. Oh, to see a familiar face while facing eternal damnation. He could try to, but she simply lacked any of the nerve to truly let him try and bother her. She knew her prayers, she had her cross, and try as he might-- although the human face was misleading on him-- she would be unwavering in her strength against an agent of Satan. As much as possible, though she tried not to think of whatever could happen at the hands of the blasted demon.

"So you like something; I suppose that's good to hear. Though I wonder how long you can last with your eternal hatred for humans. And yes, I get it, we're inescapable gnats in your vision. Civil conversations do tend to make the nights go by faster, from what I've gathered. I understand that hatred can be so easy, or seem to be, but tolerating is much more durable. Though, I suppose that's what you're doing now," Maggie said with a knowing look to the demon. She wasn't foolish enough to let all of her guard down, and there was no way she'd betray any true vulnerability to the demon. Still, like any intellectual debate, Margaret did enjoy touching a bit of the sensitive sides. Her words often mumbled and rumbled in her mouth, but she enjoyed flavoured conversations. It was an intelligent way of getting to know someone, something that Maggie could enjoy. Actual, human connection? She was too old for that, and her heart had barely any space to think she was good enough for her daughter-- let alone any potential friends.

Grief had changed her, and a lifetime of loneliness had set her up for disliking any kind of companionship. At least Clem liked her.

She had gazed off for the moment, her expression transfixed in the usual furrowed brow and lost thought, but snapped her attention back to the demon.

"Have you always hated humans? Or is that an expectation that all demons maintain, sort of like forcing yourself to smile and trying to feel legitimately happy. I can't say it works, but whatever has made you despise humanity has seemed to sink deeply into your bones."

Michael fixed her with a disinterested expression, going back to fiddling with the chemicals and substances he had arrayed in front of himself. He listened to her words and made note of her expressions and body language but mostly didn't look directly at her. As much as he professed to wish to wipe the world clean of her kind, he was mostly content to just be left to his own devices. But those damned wizards and their bindings and summonings drove him mad.

"Gnats? No. You give yourselves too much credit. I'd compare you more to amoeba, usually so far beneath our notice that we don't even think of you, at least until we get bored. Or dragged into your damn world for whatever idiotic or menial tasks you apes come up with. And of course demons detest and loathe humans as a rule. Neither you nor I can change our nature, no more than a scorpion can keep from stinging something. My hatred for your inferior species keeps me warm at night. And demons don't get tired. Though I suppose it's also true that conversation passes the time, even if I do have an indefinite amount of it.

Her gaze turned into something more thoughtful, lost in her own world for a time. And Michael was just as keen to allow her to wander her own thoughts in silence, he had a fun few things to try. He began mixing things at random just to see what would happen. Mostly all he got was a small mess, nothing actually dangerous or bad. Though one particular mixture did radiate an awful stench. As she turned back to him, he raised an eyebrow, looking to her with a bored expression.

"Of course I've always hated humans. Demons as a whole have always hated your kind, though only when actually forced to interact with you. We also don't technically have bones. Or internal organs. Or anything remotely resembling human anatomy in any conceivable way."

BELIAL. BELIAL.

Margaret Bowles

CompanyMichael
Tags Naberius Naberius
Margaret outwardly groaned at his reaction, although she tried for a bit of politeness. She wasn't sure what kind of incriminating information she had hoped to get, but mincing words with a demon seemed to go as far as a lead weight in water. She wrinkled her nose at the stench he created, shaking her head and flapping her hands rather angrily.

"No, no, you're going about it all wrong! I'm sure the idea would please you to accidentally kill me with some compound, but I'd rather live to finish out this investigation," she sneered, snatching what he had in his hands and clicking her tongue. "You may have been around for millennia, but you certainly have the grace of a baby elephant. Scoot over, and watch something exciting happen." Although Margaret didn't wait for him to move, suddenly annoyed with the demon's antics. Peace time was over, and his words were grating on her ear and conscience. If he wasn't impressed, so what, maybe he would leave.

She gave him an absent, fuming glare, gesturing to the mess he had attempted to make. "You say you know what you're doing, but the tinkering you're doing is closer to a child flapping their gums and trying to speak for the first time. If you have experience, use it."

Rummaging through the things he had grabbed, she spotted a darkened, enclosed trio of containers. Each were labelled with respective names: Potassium, Sodium, Lithium. Grabbing the trio, she whipped around to try and find a thicker pair of gloves-- for the time being.

"Playing with flame just got better," Maggie said with a poised look to the demon. "But nothing is so satisfying as dunking them into a pail of water. I'd spent my days locked in my late husband's lab for a good reason. One thing you'll learn, demon, is that humans tend to like... reinventing their anger." Her gaze was shifted, momentarily lapsed to the past. She had been angry, sad, and lost when her husband had disappeared. Nearly burning down the estate proved to be cathartic enough-- but only when her daughter was away, of course.

With a pair of inert forceps she plunged into the potassium case, retrieving a chunk of the precious metal. It was larger than a thimble in size, and she looked around the room for what she would hope to be an emergency water pail, should any fires emerge from the lab. At least with potassium, the small amount wouldn't lead to anything remotely huge. She wasn't ready to burn down a lab just yet.

Looking to the demon, she posed to toss the metal straight into the bucket.

"Of course I'm doing it wrong, I told you before that it's a conscious decision. And I assure you, your version of exciting and mine are very different."

But, stepped back to humor the pest, rolling his eyes in a very blatant fashion. He would allow her some measure of space to do whatever it is she intended to do, but that was the extent of things.

"Just because I have experience doesn't mean I can't just have fun with it, see what happens. Make exciting discoveries, yes? And you don't need to reinvent your anger, you need to harness it enough to get rid of yourselves. I was cheering on the black plague in the good old days but it fizzled out before it could finish the job."

She readied to perform her demonstration, and admittedly he was paying attention for once. But, as the chemicals reacted together for their rather stunning display, he only frowned harder.

"Fire and a small explosion. That's your 'exciting' display? Well, the good news is you've managed to ruin what small amount of fun I might have had discovering that for myself so congratulations. There's a reason I don't pay attention or care what I'm throwing together. Sure, partly because it can't hurt me but also.."

He stepped up closer, right in her face, a huge malicious grin on his face. His eyes danced with a dangerous icy light, those piercing blue eyes burrowing straight past her soul and into someplace even deeper.

"Weaponized ignorance. My Oaths won't protect you if I don't know something will hurt or kill you."

BELIAL. BELIAL.

Margaret Bowles

CompanyMichael
Tags Naberius Naberius
Although she wasn't expecting a riot of applause or accolades from the demon, her frown could only deepen when he prattled on about the reaction. 'It isn't something you just figure out,' she wanted to say, 'oh, but go on-- go ahead and impress me with your own lackluster performance.' Margaret, however, opted to bite her tongue and simply stare back at the man. Her annoyance was present, and it was any wonder that they were still in the same room together.

The wicked smile on his lips, and the ghostly blue to his eyes would have been enough to scare the regular soul. Indeed, even in her gut she could feel a slight twist. It was an uneasy gaze, made only more so by the words he said. Maggie maintained her composure, digging her hands into her hips as she glared right back at the demon, taking her own step forward. The beating at the back of her head could have been her own heart.

"It's going to take a lot more than empty promises to scare me, demon. I can see death, and I don't need your lame-footed mischief to intentionally try and frighten me," Margaret said with a sneer at the man. Demon, not man. Michael would make it very clear, probably until the day he returned from whatever corner of hell he came from, that he was no mortal. No mere demon. It sickened her, in the moment, the lengths he would go to. Forceful recruitment would be a bastard to anyone, but watching an agent of evil and chaos be forced to do good? No doubt a form of rot to the demon, like being forced to kiss the ashen cheeks of orphans. She wouldn't entertain his mean-spirited behaviour, especially not in the company of the other team members. But alone? She would not hold back her own retorts.

She smiled back at him, her head tilting. "And if I were to accidentally spill silver on your head, what then? Weaponized ignorance, as you say? Two can play at that game, demon, so do not go around threatening people who only want to work with you. Your cruelty only works so far. However many venom words you spit, I can spit them twice back. And I will."

Maggie rolled her eyes, opting to turn her cheek and place her hands on the table. "Go then, go start trouble. But come into my safe place, and I will strike you down. If you want to play nice, we can... experiment in the same room. If you wish to continue and be a child with sharpened teeth, go ahead."

At her words he laughed. Actually, genuinely laughed as though someone had just told the most incredibly hilarious joke anyone had ever heard.

"First of all, human. You can't 'strike me down'. You lack the knowledge and skill necessary to grant death to a demon. Second, my Oaths come with a nice little bit of wiggle room. You're well aware that silver causes the tainted extreme pain and damage. Therefore, any sign of you bringing silver near me in such an instance would constitute a potential attack. In which case, my oaths and bindings allow me to defend myself. With physical force. And my strength, speed stamina and skill far surpass yours and anyone else's on this team. So don't try it. Third, with a sharp tongue like that I might actually start to enjoy working alongside you so long as you don't irritate me overly and force me to dig deep into your past, pull out those little bits you cling to that give you hope, and set them on fire."

He gave her a different kind of smile. One that showed just a small hint of grudging respect for her brass balls. Sure, he was effectively a monster of lore defanged and declawed, and on a leash. But a monster all the same. And yet she truly thought she could stand there and not flench a muscle. If he had been in the mood to do so, he'd have pushed it further. But, instead he simply swiped several vials with a flourish, actually showing some measure of skill though of course he wasn't necessarily a practiced alchemist or chemist in any regard. He still had some knowledge of how to mix certain things and get specific reactions though.

BELIAL. BELIAL.

Time: sometime after Paris
Place: The Order HQ: London Branch, Westminster Abbey
Interaction: Thaddeus, Krishna, Lillith

The London branch was just as Thaddeus remembered: bright sun warmed the red stone walls of Westminster Abbey while roses bloomed in the courtyard adjacent to the towering cathedral. In the distance Big Ben could be heard tolling out an early afternoon hour. Thaddeus, Krishna and Lillith had been summoned to the office of a high-ranking Order official for a purpose they had been only vaguely informed of...

"I have a special task for you." He was also a priest at the abbey, old and weathered, but his eyes were clear and sagely. They were brought into the elegant wood-paneled office as sunlight poured through lace curtains. Thaddeus caught the faint smell of candle wax clinging to the fabric. Evidence of late night writings.
"The most recent raid of an illegal vampire quarter produced an unforseen...complication. A thrall, ravenous, but not yet fully-turned. I'd like you three to hold her vigil."
Thaddeus started,
"V-vigil?"
"That is right. You must watch over her, keeping her prisoner and making sure she does not bite anyone for twelve full hours, until she regains her senses. If she does manage to feed before that time, her mind will be lost and you will be required to put her down."
The wording was harsh and Thaddeus swallowed.
"I am choosing you, Mr. Jameson, Ms. Beaumont, because you are two competent vampires at hand, and if anyone can connect with her once we get her back, it would be you. Thaddeus will be there to protect you. Just because she is freshly bitten, does not mean she is not a lethal threat to you."
Thaddeus looked a little green, but nodded dutifully.
"My attendant will take you to the room where she is being kept. You will be provided with one goblet of human blood, which you are to offer her when and only when, she speaks to you, at the end of the vigil. You will only have a few moments between when she regains her mind, and her imminent death, so if she chooses to turn, she must drink before she starves."
They knew all of this, though it would never hurt to be reminded, vigils were dangerous affairs, and normally only the most experienced Order members saw them through.
"Is there anything you would ask me, before I send you to her?"

Dominaiscna Dominaiscna Cashi Cashi

COLOR=rgb(44, 130, 201)

- Krishna -

Interaction: Krishna, Lillith, Thaddeus

The Order had so far been meticulous and concise in their orders, each instruction leaving no room for debate or speculation. Their laws were absolute, their sentencing unforgiving, therefore the vagueness of their message to report to Westminster Abbey that fine English morning had Krishna dressing and meeting with the others with excess haste.
The church was as he remembered it, vaulted ceilings and checkered flooring, every surface thickly crammed with candles in various stages of melting. The candelabra lighting their path stood like iron guards, and the statues watched over the bent forms of people praying. The silence was consuming.

Krishna liked Westminster, however, liked the calm and the dark and the quiet. Despite having no affiliation with Christianity, nor love for their almighty deity, he found the tranquility in their places of worship to be peaceful, and the idea that the English headquarters for the supernatural was in such a grand abbey struck him as poetic.

The office the three found themselves in was quaint and to-the-point, befitting of a humble profession like priestliness. The priest's request from The Order, however, was far from simple.

A Vigil. This would be one of the first Vigils Krishna had attended, outside of his own. His eyes went to Lilith to watch for any slip in her mask and gauge a reaction. Certainly a vampire of her standing would have been requested at many a Vigil. For Krishna, however, he'd really only been working for The Order for a year or so.
"How long since she was bitten? How much time is left of her...base state?" The questions were out of him even as his mind fought against a tide of darkness, memories of his own turning malformed or missing. He could remember nothing from his Vigil, only the world-shattering pain in that cold alley, on that cold night.
"What of the other vampires from the raid?"

SilverFlight SilverFlight Dominaiscna Dominaiscna

Lilith Beaumont

Interaction: Lilith, Thaddeus and Krishna

The summon came shortly after the group's return to English soil. There was barely any time to catch a breathe, before needing to report to the London Headquarters. The message that was sent to them was brief and vague, which was very odd for the Order. However, once they arrived at the abbey, the priest explained the job their little band of three had been tasked with: a vigil. It explained several things... Lilith figured the Order was short on hands and, due to the nature of a vampire turning, urgently required the presence of experienced members.

At the mention of the Vigil, Lilith felt Krishna's eyes on her. She pretended not to notice and continued to watch their superior, not breaking her calm facade for even one second. However, once she felt Krishna's eyes leave her, the vampire's gaze moved from the priest and quickly flickered over him, and then to their werewolf. It appeared that neither were particularly keen on the task at hand, which was understandable. To date, Lilith had been summoned to watch over a good handful of vigils, and so was quite experienced in that matter. Watching over a vigil was exhausting and incredibly dangerous work. It required continued vigilance and attention for hours on end, for both the safety of the order members and that of the thrall.

She continued to silently listen as the priest finish explaining, not batting an eye at the possibility of having to put down the thrall. Lilith had already had to kill a thrall before, in one of the earlier Vigils she oversaw. She had no qualms with spilling blood if she had to. However, if she wound up in a situation where she had no other choice but to put the thrall down, she had clearly failed in her task, and such a result deeply frustrated her.

When their superior finished speaking, Lilith's eyes moved to her teammates. She was not particularly nervous for the task, though she was concerned about Thaddeus and Krishna. From what she had seen, the werewolf was no doubt skilled and could easily hold his own in combat. However, there was a darkness lurking within him, the shadow of his beast that he was constantly trying to keep back. His fear and uncertainty made him hesitant in turning to violence at times, and she worried how he would fare in such a situation, where things could take a turn for the worst, very very quickly.

As for Krishna, she knew for a fact that this was his first vigil. Lilith was concerned that such an experience might be quite triggering for him and could remind him of his own turning, just as it at one point had done for her. She had in fact been one of the members who had watched over his vigil. A strange feeling welled up within her as she looked at the vampire that now stood beside her. He had come far... though the vampire was reminded of how close she had gotten that night to killing him.

With a slight frown, she looked ahead once again. Lilith had no questions, Krishna had already them, and so she silently waited for them to be dismissed.

Interaction: Thaddeus, Krishna, Lillith

"She has been this way for about four hours. The other vampires are busy dealing with more victims. It was a raid of an illegal human shipment by the docks. Supply for the central ring of rogue vampires in London." That was understandable, each vigil was held separately to minimize risk, but Thaddeus shuddered at the thought of humans being bought and sold for food like pigs.
His stomach didn't settle when they were lead through the sun-baked hallway around the green courtyard, and it certainly didn't settle when the heavy oak door was pulled open and the wet, stale basement air slid about his nose like a living creature. The stone felt like it was closing in on him as they descended. The moisture crept under his clothes and made him itch. The scent of wet stone, earth and sand was prevalent, but the thick, heavy scent of blood lingered. He gritted his teeth.

They didn't need light to see down in the gloom, though the human who lead them lit a candle. It's light was piercing and offensive to the gloom and it shied away as they walked the long corridor. There were no windows here, but they couldn't risk hurting the thrall by having daylight. The cell door was barred with silver. Thaddeus had to stand away as it was opened, and the frame pulled back to allow them passage. Even walking near it sent a dull ache through his body. The room was large and spacious, with a straw mattress at the far end, and a shape hunched over upon it.

The thrall was kneeling, her head slumped against her chest, her hair was bound back in a cord of leather which threatened to break, spilling strands every which way.
She raised her head and it lolled to the side as the four of them approached. Dry blood stained her collar and ran trails down her neck from two puncture marks. Her nails were bloody and the skin around them torn. She had fought fiercely, but whether that was before or after she had been turned, Thaddeus couldn't say.
She lurched at them suddenly, the sound of chains rang before they stopped her half way across the room. Thaddeus had stepped in front of the human without even thinking, who had been startled so badly he nearly dropped the goblet containing the precious human blood. Shaking slightly, he put the cup on a small table in a corner by the door and retreated to the other side of it as fast as possible. He closed the door behind them.
"G-good luck." He stammered, and almost as if he had forgotten he dug into his coat and handed them a short dossier through the bars. "T-this is the initial report of the raid. You might find useful information in it."

The smugglers had been tracked for 47 days. Their movements monitored carefully by undercover vampire agents until a large player in the operation was scheduled to oversee one particular shipment. They used a human smuggling crew, adept at keeping under the radar. The Captain was one Cecilia Krews, her first mate, Winifred Day. There seemed to be an altercation between the vampire overseeing the shipment and the captain. The first mate was held hostage for a time, and bitten during a fight which broke out on deck. The Order team moved in soon after, a total of four victims, Winifred Day and three of the people in the cargo hold were recovered. Three victims had bitten before being restrained and were dealt with on site.
The overseer was captured and is now being held for questioning.

Winifred Day lived her life in a Rookery by the ports until she was picked up to run opium from the docks to the dealers by one of the established rings that operated from there. She has a younger sister, parents passed away due to illness when she was ten years old. Her relationship with the captain may have been more than professional. Emotional bonds can held the victim through the vigil.

Cashi Cashi Dominaiscna Dominaiscna

- Krishna -

Krishna distracted himself with his thoughts in a direction that was almost as uncomfortable as the task at hand: as they descended into the cool, dank depths of the dungeon, Krishna felt himself becoming more and more at peace. The sunlight that he once loved, hot and burning, was left far behind them, and each echoing step into the dark brought a quiet to Krishna's damned soul that could only be attributed to his newfound acquaintance with death. His heart did not beat, his blood did not pulse, and no breath warmed his icy lips. He was as cool and stagnant as the chill stairway they continued to creep along, a moment permanently frozen in time. The disparity between preferring to be entombed by cold, damp stone versus the joy and comfort the sun used to bring him was not a comforting thought to distract himself with.
When they at last reached the cells, the man who had guided them reached out to open the door to the enclosure--the silver enclosure, judging by the sparkling, candlelit glint of it (and also the sudden throbbing pressure building in his skull).
Krishna stepped through the door after Thaddeus, putting in a great deal of effort not to reach up with his gloved hand to cover his nose and mouth. The smell, both from her and from the mess around her, was suffocating. She was coated in different kinds of blood, not all of it hers, but it was the lifeblood that dripped from her neck into the collar of her clothes that made Krishna faintly dizzy. He shook his head to clear some of the encroaching fog and glanced to Lilith, waiting for a cue from her as to what their course of action would be.
The thrall lunged the second Krishna's eyes were off her, and though Krishna had no doubt in his mind that in a simple one-on-one Lilith could probably floor him in a matter of seconds, his instinct was to step partially in front of her as Thaddeus stepped in front of the human, who quickly chucked the goblet at them and ran like the devil was on his heels.
Krishna grimaced.
Perhaps the analogy was more fitting than he would have liked.
When the chain caught and the thrall was propelled backwards, Krishna stepped away from Lilith with an apologetic dip of his head, then gestured to wards the thrall who was splayed amongst the straw from the rebound of her lunge.
All he wanted to do was kneel and talk quietly with her, ask her name and about her family, but something told him that Lilith should be the one to make first contact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back