The Omen Star: The Pit (Ch. 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Likt waits for the man to leave before they drop the disguise, finding a roomy set of leather armor over normal clothes that hung baggily on their thin frame. They have twenty arrows and a new longbow on their back, and was looking far happier now that they were out of the pit.

Donovan looks to the man, "There's actually another survivor. From an earlier group." Donovan shrugged as he watched Malxus scramble through the items until he saw a very familiar silver symbol of a woman dancing in moonlight with a bastard sword in hand fall out. Scooping it up, Donovan turned to the messenger. "Since we got out so easily, we could go back in and get her. Maybe find something that could only 'ave come from out 'ere and couldn't 'ave been nicked to show we're genuine about being able to leave. Then maybe we should find out more about that." Donovan said, pointing upward at the star mentioned in the letter Umi read aloud to the group. As he lowered his arm, Donovan slipped the silver necklace around his own neck.

Taking the scroll from the mounted figure, Umi was stupefied by the fact that they had actually managed to escape the Pit. He took a moment to read it over, pausing briefly as Malxus handed him a book with a letter. Once he got through the whole thing, he cleared his throat to get the other's attention.

"Greetings Surivor(s)

I write this letter in the hopes that you will come and speak to me about what you may have seen in the Pits, and what you may have encountered down there. I pray to the Dawnflower that at least one of you makes it out alive. You are not beholdened to my request, as is you are by King’s Right free to do as you please, whether that means returning to Highwall or retiring to the country side or hiding the road for adventure. For some of you there may be people back in Highwall for you, others may have reason to stay away for even with King’s Right some people will continue to hold grudges. There is a new Star in the sky. One twinkling Red that seems to bleed at the edges. If you look even now I doubt you will miss this Omen in the sky. I have recently found some information in conjunction with what I had found in the Pit when I was thrown down there. I feel this matter is too important to discuss more than passingly in letters. Visit me at your earliest convenience if possible.

signed, Sir Galahad Knight of the Dawnflower."

Once he read the note to the others, he took a moment to himself to read the letter within the book -- his spellbook as it turned out. A smile crossed Umi's face as he read, even as his eyes began to water. It was so good to hear from her and know she was headed somewhere safe. His happy mood was interrupted by Donovan and his suggestion to re-enter the Pit. He turns to Donovan with an incredulous look on his face. "Easily? EASILY?! I was almost killed by some bat things, Spriggy and Anduryn both died. How could you possibly consider that easy?" Umi rubs a hand across his face. "Listen, I appreciate the sentiment that you are expressing by wanting to go get that woman out of there, but you saw her...she has gone over the deep end at this point, do you really think she would be able to assimilate back into society?"

Blackie wanders over picking up the feathered dagger and holding it in his hand for a long moment. There appears to be some sort of recognition on his face before he takes the knife strapping it to the side with a belt after putting on the leather armor. He mutters something under his breath before turning back to the group discussion. "No guarantee that something in there hasn't gotten her already either, though I don't suppose she'd be very happy seeing me again." The rider simply shrugged his shoulders and kicked his horse into motion.

"If you do manage to get whoever is left in there let them know they're sins are forgiven, via the King. I've a report to deliver, may the Dawnflower light your path," he called behind him giving a single wave before facing forward on the horse once again seemingly to set out for Highwall via his course.

"It's been fun with you lot, and I'm not sure I would have made it out alive without your help but we've a few things to discuss besides that dwarf lady as well," says Blackie as he nudges the green orb with one of his clawed feet. "There's also the fact that while I may be free of crimes in the King's eye, that doesn't make be clear in the eyes of the Guild. So I'll understand if you don't want to be seen returning with me, a marked man and a Tengu."

Donovan shook his head, "Blackie, I for one am not gonna just abandon you just 'cause we're out of that 'ole." he said, smiling. "Anyone foolish enough to try and come at you is going to 'ave to come through me." Donovan gave Blackie a friendly pat on the shoulder. Glancing up at the sky, Donovan felt an eerie chill at seeing the red star as he recalled the warning from inside the pit.

'Is this what Gliss and the other spirits want us to fight against?'

Likt walked near the back of the group. They had been walking for two days, working their way towards Highwall. It was evening on the second day, and they had settled down to rest. Likt was a few paces into the forest, looking for any easy-to-hunt pray, when he saw it.

The creature was bulky, with black fur and curling white horns. "hi." Likt breathed, reaching out to offer his hand out to the creature. The beast made a huffing noise of pain, shifting from where it lay on the forest floor. Likt grimaces when he sees the net tangling its back legs. "Well that's not very nice." A few knife strikes later, the net relaxed and the creature scrambled up. Likt studied it intently, expecting it to run, but it just stared at him.

Likt turned back towards the camp, unable to stop his smile when he heard footsteps behind him as the creature rambled after him. "You want to come?" He would have sworn the creature was nodding as it nibbled at his fingers. "Hey, guys? I...think I've got a new friend who's coming along."

Highwall
The Star Gate
997 AC (After Calamity)

Your journey back home has been a breeze compared to some of the horrors and rough time you faced in the Pits. Everyone has been more relaxed and at times even cheerful in the trip. It wasn’t long before you passed through a small village town called ‘Little Leaf’ where you enjoyed your first bed sleep in a long while. Hunting and food has been a much greater improvement that raised some of your spirits as well.

One of the nights on the way home Blackie took out the mysterious green orb and he seemed to be reaching a decision on whether or not to mess with it. A few counseled him to be sure and in the end he much like those of the other Pit survivors ended up with an orb inside of his chest. Instead of a wind crossbow however, an elegant flowing shortsword and dagger appeared in his hands before dispersing to dust. He seems to gain more of an understanding of what was going on internally with some of the others in the group.

After having traveled many days and finally arriving within sight of Highwall the excitement begins to mount, and eventually you arrive at the Star Gate entrance to Highwall. Guards watching people come and go eventually give you a salute which draws the attention of others coming and going as whispers of the “Survivors” is whispered among them.

Despite this nothing else seems to happen though there is an odd charge to the air this day as you arrive into town. The city is much like you left it, with the impossibly high walls surrounding the city as if it were meant to fend off giants or something of that scale. Meanwhile the inside of the city continued it’s every day life, of trade, commerce, with many of the factions competing with no care as to what happens outside of the city.

The Churches of Sarenrae still held their morning prayer as the sun comes up, and the Church of the Companions still preached of dooms averted by the bravery and actions of mortals. The slums small dedicated Church of Dark Elves held their small gathering in reverence to Eilistraee in the evenings.

Merchants stores lined the merchant district busy as ever, with a few scattered Brothels throughout here and the noble district. Nobles as usual kept their part of the city quiet and guarded by inner city gates that only the privileged ever passed while the very center of the city held the vast expanse of the castle containing King Alistair’s court.

The number of Inns throughout the city were more than you could count on two hands, and it is wandering through these streets once again that the amount of vast open world there was beyond the walls of Highwall, and how tight and cramped most people lived in the city. This place was so different than the Pit you all had survived, and while it continued to live on without a care for your lives there was something different.

Almost everywhere the group went there were whisperings again of the Survivors of the Pit. No longer did everyone ignore your presence and instead there was now a plethora of emotions, ranging from reverence to outright fear. Blackie seemed almost immediately more at home upon entering the city suggesting that he knew a good Inn that everyone could meet up in a day or two if others intended to split up.

“The Last Stop Inn is on the edge of where the slums are, but despite this it’s well taken care of and I know the owner. Wildrith Copperfield, doesn’t tolerate the nonsense of the slums while also providing lodging and decent food for a reasonable price though if anyone plans on stopping by the Paladin’s Mount with their newly earned money I can’t stop you,” says Blackie before he seems to plan to part ways with the group for a time. If asked he only says he has to take care of a few things around town now that he’s back. He leaves you in the middle of the intersection as a wagon passes by full of apples. He grabs one swiftly from the back of the cart as he heads off in what seems to be the Slum district.

Trying to keep a smile on his face and look like he was enjoying the attention, Donovan was nervous. He'd spent so long working in the shadows on robberies that attention was something he wasn't entirely comfortable with. Though it was a nice change to see guards saluting him as opposed to giving him the hairy eyeball.

"The Last Stop Inn, eh?" Donovan asked as Blackie made his way off towards another district. "Sounds like a good place to meet up." Figuring they'd be splitting up, Donovan had just two ideas in mind.

'Leather Armor. Maybe swing by the Church of Dark Elves.' thought Donovan to himself, aware he'd very likely head for the church right after he bought some new armor.

"Guess we should meet back 'ere later." Donovan said, "'ope the city stays so welcoming." Donovan commented before wandering off, looking for someone selling armor.

Likt, walks into town as a changeling, glancing around nervously and keeping an eye on Rags. "I will meet up with you at the Last Stop Inn." He declares before ducking off and finding a small clothing store. He approaches the woman behind the counter, handing her a list he had written up quickly. "Excuse me, can I please have all of these? I believe it will be around 38 gold pieces"

List:
Male traveler's clothes (pants, shirt, light jacket) in three sizes = 6 gp
women's traveler's clothes (long skirt, shirt, jacket) in 3 size = 6 gp
2 costumes (1m 1 f) = 10 gp
5 sets clothes common (2m 3f) = 1 gp
1 set fine clothes (f) = 15 gp

Dragon Scales
Highwall
Merchant District
Dragon's Scales

Donovan wanders the streets of the merchant district looking for a little while with money to burn in his pocket. He probably didn't carry this much money around with him ever unless he had been on a job in the past stealing the money and delivering it somewhere else. His eyes surprisingly didn't spot any padfoots today, and as he entered into a shop named Dragon's Scales a Dragonborn turned from measuring a halfling up on a stool. "Give me just a minute good Sir," said the Dragonborn as he finished the measurements and let the halfling woman it would be ready within the next day or two. The halfling girl looked thanked him and looked briefly at Donovan giving him a wink through the curly blond hair that slightly obscured one eye.

With her exit the Dragonborn reached out a hand to greet Donovan. "Hello sir, and welcome to the Dragon's Scale. My name is Damocles the Third. Now what might you be looking for in my humble shop, hmm?" he asked persed his lips for a moment as he looks you up and down but the expression soon passes.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Likt gets an odd look from behind the counter, and an even odder one once the woman sees what Likt looks like normally untransformed. She quickly adds up the list marking down the prices on a piece of paper and passing it hestiently over to Likt. "The total is... 38 gold pieces... umm....?" It looks like she tries to search for a word but either never finds it or is unsure.

Likt just gives her a slight smile, rummaging around and pulling out 38 gold and handing it over to her. "here you go ma'am."

As Umi entered the city, he smiled happily at the hefty weight that the gold put on his hip. He had never been one to be considered 'rich,' and lived a very modest lifestyle, but now he had more money then he knew what to do with. This thought was enough to stop him from worrying about all the attention his group had started to gather. After agreeing to meet with the others at the Last Stop Inn, Umi wandered over to The Duplicated Pages, a shop that had always caught his eye but he had never been able to afford before. Ever since he left school, he hadn't really had time to practice his craft since he immediately went to work at the library to start paying rent, but now he could finally delve deeper into some of his favorite topics in magical theory.

Duplicated Pages
Highwall
Merchant District
The Duplicated Page

As Umi approached the shop he would see the familiar book flipping a page, which on the left had the words The Duplicated Pages written many times all the way down, and a ensorcelled feather pen began to write the exact same on the right side until full and then the page flipped and repeated once more. Entering the building there was the smell of parchment that only comes from places that store many books, and a dryness of many libraries.

Here a woman with spectacles spoke with a man in black robes. He looked older though in the wizardly way of appearing to have age beyond his physical appearance. Small amounts of white had begun to pepper itself into his black hair, and goatee. Umi could swear this man seemed familiar somehow.

“You’ll have to excuse me Head Master, It looks like I have a customer,” says the spectacled lady as she turns to face Umi. Her yellow eyes are striking upon first impression, and she gives a welcoming smile turning from the man and walking down the counter length to greet Umi. As she approached you can easily see her fiery red hair pulled back in a bun has what looks like a wand piercing straight through it.

“Hello, and welcome to the Duplicated Page. I am Cortney Devaughn owner of this shop, how may I assist you today?”
she asked with a tone that spoke to having said this line so many times that it needed a unique flare each time to keep from getting dull.

The head master turned to look as he patiently waited. He seemed to observe Umi for a prolonged moment before his eyes began to wander the shop.

Malxus also departs the inn, walking the streets confidently, clad in mail and shield, but still keeping a watchful eye on those he passes, shiny new battle axe always within reach. He reaches the church of Sarenrae and grips the door handle, but then pauses. He'd never actually felt the need to visit a church before, but everything seemed clear to him before. Now, not so much. He entered the pit with nothing and emerged only with questions. That and a strange fire orb in his chest.

I've got questions for you next you forgetful old fool.

Malxus takes a breath and enters the church, mustering all the charm he can.

"Greetings!" he calls out to no one in particular. "Paladin of Sarenrae, here for blessings. Seeking guidance. All of that good stuff."

Giving Damocles a polite bow of the head, Donovan smiled at the halfling woman's flirty wink.

"Hello Damocles the Third," Donovan said as he shook Damocles' hand,"I'm just after buying some new leather armor. You wouldn't happen to have any sets in light blue by any chance?"

Highwall
Saint District
Church of Sarenrae

_________

Malxus feels a grand stirring of presence. Almost as if something immensely large had just pressed by him. There was a feeling of amusement follow by Igneos’ voice. “A fool thinks himself wise, but the wise knows themselves the fool. Perhaps you should give thought to who you’ve bound your fate to.”

Despite the words, it seems Igneos seems content. “A church dedicated to the magnificence of Flames. I approve greatly.”

Upon entering Malxus sees a lot of activity around the place, with some acolytes dressed in robes being taught by a lady before the large statue of Sarenrae at the end of the pews, while other priests armored and unarmed speaks with many people around the place. It seems some nobles have come to ask for guidance, as well as couples seeking the blessing of the goddess, and some beggars seem to be eating at a table.

At Malxus’ call an Acolyte dressed in white robes outlined in red trim walks up to him bowing briefly for a moment. “Hello, Knight of Sarenrae, is there anything I can help you find today or were you looking to spend some of your time healing the wounded perhaps?” He seems to look at Malxus more closely for a second. “I’m sorry, I don’t seem to recognize you. Sir…?”

Last edited:
Highwall
Merchant District
Dragon’s Scales

“Ah, I think you will find you are in luck my good friend. I carry many sets of leather armor and some of them in a multitude of colors and designs,” says Damocles as he ushers you over towards a wardrobe. As he approaches the wardrobe he waves his hand and it swivels swinging out another wardrobe, followed by another swish of his hand and the wall rotates once more. Despite the wardrobes looking almost identical in nature he stops at this one. “Ah here we go.”

Opening the furniture he opens to reveal many sets of leather and brings out a few of them holding them out for Donovan to try. He takes out a black leather set mixed in and shakes his head for a moment before placing it back and grabs a few more.

“Try out a few of these and let me know what you think?” says Damocles as he puts his hand below his chin as his claw curls around the bottom of his chin over his snout. “Any special occasion for the new outfit or is it just time for a change of pace?”

Damocles stands back observing as if his approval is needed for the transaction.

Donovan followed Damocles over to a wardrobe, amazed that he seemed to know which one held what items despite the fact that they all looked exactly identical. Seeing the sets, Donovan's smile grew wider.

"Getting out of-" Donovan started but then stopped. While he didn't think it would be possible for him to not deny the fact he'd gone in the Pit, saying 'prison' was an understatement and 'death penalty' a bit too much. "A bad place." Donovan smiled, thinking for a moment of the armor that Gliss had given him to help convince Likt. "Figured I should celebrate with some new armor. You know, new armor new me." Donovan smiled as he started to put on one set of armor to try. "There's this woman, she's sort of sponsoring my attempt at a new life," Donovan said, trying to both describe the effect Gliss was having on him while also not giving away the fact that there was a spirit that was bound to an orb that currently resided within him. "Light blue and white are sort of her colours so I figured, you know." Donovan said as he finished putting on the first set of armor that he was going to try. "This look good?" Donovan asked, rolling his arms a little trying to see how much flexibility the armor had.

Umi looks back at the man, slightly cocking his head to the side like a dog when he sees the man. He did indeed look familiar, but Umi couldn't place him. The elf instead turned his green eyes upon the woman who addressed her and gave her a friendly smile. "Good day ma'am. I have recently come into a bit of money and want to pursue my studies of the arcane arts. Do you have spell scrolls for sale, or perhaps any particularly interesting books for sale that might be focused on the concept of creating matter or pulling things from other dimensions? -- Oh! And I'm also in the market for some charcoal and incense, but I'm not sure that this is the correct shop for that."

Highwall
Merchant District
Dragon's Scale

Damocles nodded still in his studious pose, occasionally walking around to get different angles and looking at mirrors in the corners of the room to see Donovan from different angles. “A woman, yes I quiet aware of your troubles,” says the red scaled Dragonborn nodding sagely. As Donovan finishes and presents himself with the new armor, Damocles takes a few steps left and right before shaking his head.

“No, If you are looking to impress a woman, I do not think that will do,”
he says tilting his head towards the next one. “Light blue and white are her colors? Do you mean her house colors perhaps? I cannot imagine however that a garment no matter how well made such as mine would impress her however, sometimes being appealing to the eye can push someone’s opinion just enough to one side of the spectrum.”

He grins a toothy grin. "Though sometimes we set our sights a little too high, or on another who does not have eyes for us," he says seeming to lament in that comment.

'Yeah, the tied-up fate is exactly what I'm wondering about, not to you though,' Malxus mutters.

"Just Malxus is fine, friend. And your name? I confess I have not been a paladin of Sarenrae long. I have just escaped from that damnable pit, no doubt in thanks to our Lady's guidance." He kneels and makes what he guesses is a respectful gesture to Sarenrae. "Being so new to my service of the ... Dawnflower, I just had a few questions for your scholar or church ... king? Head priest?"

Donovan glanced behind him as Damocles answered. He seemed hard to read and concentrating more on what Donovan was wearing.

"Yeah, 'er 'ouse colors." Donovan smiled, remembering what it was like to see the temple in the middle of the blizzard. As Damocles continued, Donovan had to resist the urge to laugh.

'He thinks - I'm trying to impress a girlfriend.' thought Donovan. 'It's more, I get the impression that we're probably going to be doing a lot of fighting. That red star is ominous enough even without the warning about undead rising. Then there's also Gliss' Dark Ones. She's given me some of her power, I'm just trying to do a gesture in return, no matter how small.'

"It still felt quite sturdy as armor," Donovan said as he started to unbuckle the armor to try the next piece on. "I'm still interested in the armor being functional, it's just why settle for either function or aesthetics when you can 'ave both, am I right?" Donovan said, smiling.

'I've got to stop dropping my H's,' Donovan thought, 'Somehow I don't think this'll be the only job where I have to meet someone high ranking like a powerful paladin. Wouldn't do to go sounding like I've a mouthful of 'erbs when speaking to people.'

Likt ducks into an alleyway, changing into the form of a young wood elf woman with an ankle length blue skirt and a green top under a long jacket. She moved briskly, trying to remember where the Inn that they were to meet up with was.

Highwall
Holy District
Temple of Sarenrae

“Ah that makes much more sense,” says the acolyte as he seems to take a moment, before nodding his head. “You were one of the survivors of the Pit? I was told by Sir Galahad that one of the faithful might have been among them, and I had prayed for your return. It looks as if my prayers were answered.”

“Forgive me, I am Brother Bartholomew,” says the acolyte as he motioned for Malxus to follow. “You must be very new if you don’t know our hierarchy. We have a few head priests that sit upon a council, some of them from the clerics, and others from the paladins. Sir Galahad wanted me to bring anyone that survived the Pits to him if he was available.”

Bartholomew explained as they walked through a few switch backing passage ways and up some stairs. It eventually ended in a decorated door to which Bartholomew knocked twice before opening the door. A tall lumbering man seemed to be observing what looked to be a sort of map on his desk. He looked up as Bartholomew entered. Malxus would recognize him almost immediately the only difference being that he was not currently wearing his full plated armor.

“You requested any of the ‘Survivors’ be brought to you, it seems one of them was from among our flock as you said,” said Bartholomew bowing his head and stepping to the side of the room so that Malxus could enter. Recognition crossed Galahad’s face and he nodded in response.

“It is good that you sought me out so quickly though I wonder perhaps if the other survivors will still seek me out. I assume the messenger delivered my message?”
asked Galahad as he gestured towards the seat in front of his desk.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Highwall
Merchant District
Dragon's Scales

Damocles remained silent until at last Donovan had gotten his next suit on and he nodded approvingly. "That is much more like it, and I think you will find the protective measures taken while still holding onto some sense of style appealing," said Damocles grinning another toothy smile. He moved back to the register and seemed to right up a purchase ticket while thinking. "Blue and white... would you be courting one of the Liasin twins?"

He seemed to stop in the middle of writing for a moment and look up to gauge Donovan's response before finishing writing the receipt. "If so you are a very brave man considering," said Damocles as he pushed the paper across the counter listing the price for the leather armor. It was one gold more than standard rate but considering how well made it was, you are surprised he did not charge more.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Highwall
Merchant District
The Duplicated Pages

"Ah you are one of the students, I see," she says taking out a few books and putting them onto the counter. She flips through a few opening to some indicated sections. "And we do sell lots of the material for components, I can round up some of that for you as well, though the books your looking for, you might want to be a bit more specific maybe?"

Courtney briefly looks over to the man she had been speaking with a moment ago before looking back to Umi. "Books on summoning Demons or Devils for example require special permission from a least one head master, some of them even requiring two signatures," says Courtney before bringing out a few beginner books on summoning small creatures.
"Which particular school do you belong to in the Mage Guild?"

The merchant district was a friendly sight to the tortle who had been away for so long. He was a different man from when he left this city, he remembered the buildings and would rub the bricks occasionally as if he were in a dream. All day he had been asking citizens if they had heard anything about the people who survived the pit. His first interaction with another person in years went about as smoothly as he expected, wherein he had to think for a minute before he remembered how to talk. Finally he was able to ask "Where might I find the ones who survived the pit" he felt bad for that poor halfling, imagine minding your own business before having your eyesight completely taken up by a large reptilian man who was more than double your hight.

Truly this was an eventful week, Mahkah had woken up in a cold sweat four mornings ago, staring at the setting moon and seeing that red star in the sky. He had a dream...that dream, it did haunt him so, but what was clear was that he needed to find a group of people, the group he saw himself with in the dream. "This city, I missed so much all that time ago, strange to feel so out of place here now". The tortle walked slowly, like a great glacier carving a path through the crowds before him, people such as him were rare, and at his size? even more so. He approached a young elven woman who seemed to be hurrying along as if looking for something, maybe the same thing he was searching for even "You, my friend, have you seen the ones who survived the pit?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back